Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Nimbus posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of this old PC game (late 80's/early 90's). You were like the commander of earth or something and there was a chain of planets separating you and the evil enemy planet. You could take over planets and teraform them or something. You would fight by sending out troops in space transports and you would set how expensive their armor was and how cautious/suicidal they were.

I remember you would choose the difficulty of the bosses by setting their commander. First guy was a pushover. The next two were harder and behaved differently (I think one of them looked like a mantis or some poo poo). The last guy was almost impossible to beat and looked like a really muscular guy with a flat iron for a face.

This is Overlord. Or Supremacy-- the title seems to be different across platforms.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Brut posted:

Ok so it was a first person shooter, it was mostly set ourdoors and at night, the later levels had a creepy constant owl sound playing in the background, and I think the final boss was some sort of massive amount of...ducks or chickens coming out of a spaceship. This was on the PC, I think on windows 95 but I'm really not sure.

That sounds like it could be Redneck Rampage.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
ok, here's one I remembered the other night: Early 90's DOS shareware game, probably like 93/94. You have a stack of paddles that you can control moving left to right and you have to catch items which are dropping. Just like the game for atari with the thief who drops bombs, but the items were 'wackier', fruits and pieces of cake initially but eventually animal heads?

anyone?

edit: Basically a clone of Kaboom for Atari 2600 that got really crazy. I think one of the later levels had you catching floppy disks.
more remembering : It had VGA in the title, like VGADrop or something to that effect. had 256 color graphics, though my pc at the time had a greyscale vga monitor. Yes, I played through Doom in black and white.
found it, I think:

catchem.
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about13750.html

glennnyc fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 11, 2010

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I have been trying to find/remember the name of an arcade game, probably from the early-mid 90s. It was kind of like Magic Sword but more RPG-based. It was multiplayer. It was a time limit based game where adding coins increased the amount of time you had to play. I do not believe the levels were linear like Magic Sword. The only thing I really remember as far as memorable things was that one boss was kind of an ooze that I think would break apart and reform and dropped from the ceiling. It may have also encased players, preventing them from doing anything.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I just remembered a 4x game I used to play when I was young. It was shareware, presumably made for Win 3.1, and very similar to Masters of Orion and Space Empires. It was fairly simplistic, with a lot of the ship graphics being blue colored blocky blobs.

If it helps, I think it was made by "MVP Games" as there was a splash screen to that effect. Or was it "MVP Software"? It was MVP something.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 16, 2010

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

HereticSenility posted:

I just remembered a 4x game I used to play when I was young. It was shareware, presumably made for Win 3.1, and very similar to Masters of Orion and Space Empires. It was fairly simplistic, with a lot of the ship graphics being blue colored blocky blobs.

Searching Mobygames for scifi/strategy/MVP Software turns up Facing the Empire. Is that it?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Grey posted:

Searching Mobygames for scifi/strategy/MVP Software turns up Facing the Empire. Is that it?

Thanks for the try, but looking at the screens that's definitely not it.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Obsurveyor posted:

I have been trying to find/remember the name of an arcade game, probably from the early-mid 90s. It was kind of like Magic Sword but more RPG-based. It was multiplayer. It was a time limit based game where adding coins increased the amount of time you had to play. I do not believe the levels were linear like Magic Sword. The only thing I really remember as far as memorable things was that one boss was kind of an ooze that I think would break apart and reform and dropped from the ceiling. It may have also encased players, preventing them from doing anything.

That sounds like Cadash to me.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kammat posted:

That sounds like Cadash to me.
Oh god, thank you! My memories of the graphics are much better than they actually are, heh. That black pudding though, that is what I was thinking of! Thanks!

Blobbo
Jun 21, 2000

I've been trying to remember the name of a game I played on the Amiga (or possibly PC) around 1993-1994. It was an isometric sandbox style game set in Rome. You started the game as a slave in Pompeii which was promptly destroyed by the volcano, and ended up in Rome. The idea was to rise in status until you eventually bought slaves and could become a senator. Anyone know the name?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
Looks like Rome: Pathway to Power.

Tumwater Breakdown
Apr 15, 2010

Sad Is The Lonely
trying to remember name of an apple shareware game from the early nineties where you shipped things on trains. all i remember was trains coming into station and the cargo disappearing, looking down from a birds eye view. i thought it was called "take the A train" but searching for that led to dead ends.

another game i wish i knew the name of was a pc fighting game between mostly robots. it was very early 3d graphics. i remember it taking 16 floppy discs to install. i could never beat the first fight so i only had two or three robots to fight with.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hello everyone. I have been trying to remember the name of a game which looked kinda like neverwinter nights (that is, an RPG in which you also had several partners, kinda like Dragon Age too). I dont know too much of the story, but I remember that when you attacked there was something behing you, a white mass with tentacles which was supposed to be a god or something similar to that. One of the endings of the game was that you were cast out and long after that the gods battled you and you were defeated after killing a great number of them.

Sorry if its a well known game but I can't for the life of me remember how it was called

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Tumwater Breakdown posted:

another game i wish i knew the name of was a pc fighting game between mostly robots. it was very early 3d graphics. i remember it taking 16 floppy discs to install. i could never beat the first fight so i only had two or three robots to fight with.

Got to be Rise of the Robots or One Must Fall: 2097. (Leaning towards FMV-heavy RotR if it really was that many disks.)

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Tumwater Breakdown posted:

trying to remember name of an apple shareware game from the early nineties where you shipped things on trains. all i remember was trains coming into station and the cargo disappearing, looking down from a birds eye view. i thought it was called "take the A train" but searching for that led to dead ends.

A-Train which is part of a series called Take the A-Train in Japanese.

Tumwater Breakdown
Apr 15, 2010

Sad Is The Lonely
totally was Rise of Robots, i remember being so impressed by the graphics but the game play was just awful.

repeatx3
Jun 20, 2006
An NES game with a skateboarding monkey and you had to navigate through the obstacle course. I remember this game being really difficult and I forgot the title.

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.

repeatx3 posted:

An NES game with a skateboarding monkey and you had to navigate through the obstacle course. I remember this game being really difficult and I forgot the title.

T&C Surf Designs

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

repeatx3 posted:

Would it be T&C Surf Designs? That's the only one ringing a bell at this point.

May also be the sequel, Thrilla's Surfari

Kammat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 18, 2010

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I remember an arcade style, I want to say about 1989. It was a side scroller action game featuring a guy in a suit of armor fighting in what I think I remember as castle-style maps, and you had to jump over obstacles and attack enemies with an axe.
The guy was about mario-size, if that helps.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 18, 2010

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Meatball posted:

I remember an arcade style, I want to say about 1989. It was a side scroller featuring a guy in a suit of armor fighting in what I think I remember as castle-style maps, and you had to jump over obstacles and attack enemies with an axe.
This could be a few things, are you thinking of Astyanax?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

guppy posted:

This could be a few things, are you thinking of Astyanax?

Nope, that's not it. Very close though. I think the hero was smaller.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Meatball posted:

I remember an arcade style, I want to say about 1989. It was a side scroller action game featuring a guy in a suit of armor fighting in what I think I remember as castle-style maps, and you had to jump over obstacles and attack enemies with an axe.

Not exactly what you discribed, but maybe "Ghost 'n Goblins" or its squeal "Ghouls 'n Ghosts"

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Okay, I have two:

1. 3D shooter. You could switch between third-person and first, I think. It was sci-fi themed, maybe set on another planet? I think you had a jetpack (with limited fuel, 'cause I remember somehow getting trapped at the bottom of a pit or something). Enemies might have been giant black insect-types. At at least one point between levels, you got some sort of FMV video of a bearded man (apparently a superior of yours?) explaining your next mission. I think one level took place in this giant wasteland with a ton of "silos" scattered around it, and you had to destroy them. poo poo, I'm not making a lot of sense, but that's all I can remember.

2. Very old game for MS-DOS. I barely remember anything about this and don't expect to find it. You played as a guy, I think teenage or college-age. I think you were fighting against aliens, although I don't remember any of the actual action, so it might have been a puzzle game or something. At one point (or maybe the whole game, I dunno), you collected soda cans. I remember the graphics being pretty primitive, but the level I can remember had a rather distinctive layout - I recall being underground.

Sorry for the bad explanations. I was little when I saw these.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cobweb Heart posted:

Okay, I have two:

1. 3D shooter. You could switch between third-person and first, I think. It was sci-fi themed, maybe set on another planet? I think you had a jetpack (with limited fuel, 'cause I remember somehow getting trapped at the bottom of a pit or something). Enemies might have been giant black insect-types. At at least one point between levels, you got some sort of FMV video of a bearded man (apparently a superior of yours?) explaining your next mission. I think one level took place in this giant wasteland with a ton of "silos" scattered around it, and you had to destroy them. poo poo, I'm not making a lot of sense, but that's all I can remember.

Outwars?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

2. Very old game for MS-DOS. I barely remember anything about this and don't expect to find it. You played as a guy, I think teenage or college-age. I think you were fighting against aliens, although I don't remember any of the actual action, so it might have been a puzzle game or something. At one point (or maybe the whole game, I dunno), you collected soda cans. I remember the graphics being pretty primitive, but the level I can remember had a rather distinctive layout - I recall being underground.

This sounds a lot like Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Meatball posted:

Out of curiosity, did the guy have a sort of triangle-shaped helmet? I sort of remember a game like this, but don't quite remember the title.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Outwars?

This is it! Thanks so much, I've been looking for this for years and years!

HereticSenility posted:

This sounds a lot like Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry.

Thank you, but this isn't it. :( I remember my description left out some important stuff that distinguishes it from that game. For one, when I say the graphics were primitive, I mean really primitive. I think the "soda cans" were actually just a few pixels, and the ground was really just a block of brown. I think there might have been largish borders on the left and right, so the game had a mostly vertical screen, although there might have been a HUD on one side.

I realize how bad a description this is. It's been way too long. Come to think of it, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a dream I had.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Cobweb Heart posted:

This has got to be Commander Keen.

repeatx3
Jun 20, 2006

Kammat posted:

Would it be T&C Surf Designs? That's the only one ringing a bell at this point.

May also be the sequel, Thrilla's Surfari

Woo hoo!!! Thanks guys it was Thrilla's Surfari!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Trying to remember a 2D platformer from aaaaages ago. You were a kid with a slingshot and most of the enemies were zombies. Pretty sure it was surprisingly bloody when you hit a zombie, too. I think the first level was in woods (and you completed it by finding a broomstick and flying across?), later levels were in underground caves and the final level I ever got to was inside a house. The dismembered hands crawling towards you were bastards!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 20, 2010

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

The Supreme Court posted:

Trying to remember a 2D platformer from aaaaages ago. You were a kid with a slingshot and most of the enemies were zombies. Pretty sure it was surprisingly bloody when you hit a zombie, too. I think the first level was in woods (and you completed it by finding a broomstick and flying across?), later levels were in underground caves and the final level I ever got to was inside a house. The dismembered hands crawling towards you were bastards!

Monster Bash

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Grawl posted:

Monster Bash

Oh god yes. Thankyou! This game was amazing.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

This should be simple, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. It's a split-screen versus game where one player plays breakout, the other maybe tetris or some other variant of block game. I remember decent for its time graphics, tiny rear end powerups causing distortion ripples all over the place, and a predominantly gray background. Also I think the breakout paddle had little guns on either side of it. :wtc:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Another simple one hopefully, there was this old playstation 1 (psx) game that was about this space guy, he had this ray-gun I think, and if you fell off a ledge he yelled "Geronimoooo". I can't remember what the game was called but it's been stuck in my head for years and years.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
Here's an oldie for you guys: it was a top-view racing game for the C64 where you had to drive through a track that would continually get narrower and narrower as you went along. As soon as you hit the side your car would blow up. From what I can remember (this was back in grade 3), you could select the narrowness of the road from the start menu. You could also speed up your car as you raced but you'd have a greater chance of crashing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tw1tchy posted:

Another simple one hopefully, there was this old playstation 1 (psx) game that was about this space guy, he had this ray-gun I think, and if you fell off a ledge he yelled "Geronimoooo". I can't remember what the game was called but it's been stuck in my head for years and years.

Blasto featuring the voice of Phil Hartman, one of his last projects. It wasn't a bad game but holy gently caress it was the hardest thing on the platform.

Babs Johnson
Jun 26, 2006

Boise, Idaho -
get ready!
Trying to remember a console driving game I played at a friends house in 1998 or so, either on Nintendo 64 or Playstation I think. It had this stunt driving mode which was the only one we played, driving around this bizarre arena trying to do stunts off of weirdly shaped gray and blue structures. Hitting the weird shapes and ramps at different angles would send your car flying off in a combination of flips and rotations and rolls etc, and the game would flash points on the screen based on how many stunts you could combine in one. If I remember right it had car damage, so the stunts would gently caress up your car until it exploded or stopped working. Then you would respawn and do more stunts. It was definitely one of the funnest games I've ever played.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Babs Johnson posted:

Trying to remember a console driving game I played at a friends house in 1998 or so, either on Nintendo 64 or Playstation I think. It had this stunt driving mode which was the only one we played, driving around this bizarre arena trying to do stunts off of weirdly shaped gray and blue structures. Hitting the weird shapes and ramps at different angles would send your car flying off in a combination of flips and rotations and rolls etc, and the game would flash points on the screen based on how many stunts you could combine in one. If I remember right it had car damage, so the stunts would gently caress up your car until it exploded or stopped working. Then you would respawn and do more stunts. It was definitely one of the funnest games I've ever played.

San Francisco Rush 2049 possibly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.
Be surpised if anyone can get this one but I recall playing a flat shaded 3D DOS shareware/demo game where you control a flying space craft in a dark kind of metropolis setting. The aim was to keep the craft in the air for as long as possible using limited engine boosts and light sources on the ground which lifted you.