Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

J posted:

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T (AT&T's coverage is good here but I don't mind switching carriers)
Contract Status: None
Budget: $300-$500(if it is a really drat cool phone, although I'd rather not spend that much), $50-$75 per month. In principle I don't like a contract, but I'm not the type of person who needs to constantly upgrade to the latest and greatest, so I think I could buy myself something really nice now and just live with it for 2 years under contract.

I have an ancient rear end dinosaur phone. I'm tired of everyone showing me all this cool poo poo they do with their smartphones while I sit here with my piece of poo poo. I'm a rather low volume user at ~75 texts and 1-2 hours of talktime per month, but AT&T's pay as you go plan has a $1 daily access fee which is absolutely raping me since I got my new job that made my phone usage become much more consistent on a day to day basis. I'm getting dinged for $40-$50 a month or so, which could easily spike to 75/month if I don't watch out. I know they have an unlimited call/text plan for 60/month but given my usage rate I'd rather have a lighter usage plan + a data plan for other features that I want. I'd also like to send more texts than I do but I trim out some of the bullshit just to save money since it's pay per text.

Features I know I want: GPS - I'm having to do a bit of traveling here and there, and I am directionally retarded. I was already thinking of buying a dedicated GPS device, but if I could do it with my phone and kill 2 birds with one stone, preferably without paying out the rear end for a GPS app, great. Better GPS is a huge plus, I can't find my way out of a paper bag. I definitely want wifi, non-lovely web browsing, decent music playback (my ipod is an old rear end 1st gen brick too so I could stand to get a better mp3 player), and as big of a screen as possible. I'd also like a decent camera, video would be a bonus but I could live without.

Stuff I'm not sure about : Keyboard - I have large hands, I don't know if I want a hardware or software keyboard, and since my phone is ancient I don't know how any even remotely modern smartphone keyboard feels. It must be QWERTY in any case though. Touchscreen - I'm not sure about this either. Touchscreens seem nifty but I'm not sure if I care. Exchange support - I'd like to be able to read my work email, but does that mean I have to pay for a corporate data plan? This phone is mainly for personal use and my employer has nothing to do with it.

The iphone 3GS, Nexus One, and Droid have all caught my eye but I don't know how to really decide. A friend of mine told me I should get a blackberry because "blackberry users can text each other for free" (is that bullshit?) Even if that's true I don't text him enough for that to even matter, plus it looks like blackberries have smaller screens, and I want a bigger screen. I never buy myself anything nice so I figure this could be a nice present, but sifting through all the bullshit and trying to avoid paying too much monthly for what I use is confusing.

Yes, BlackBerry users can "text each other for free" but they can only do this with other BlackBerry users. BlackBerrys aren't that good anyways. The screens are tiny and the web browser is very mediocre. They're for people that basically message, message, message and message some more on their phones and don't do nothing else aside from that.

Your best option is to wait a few more months for the HTC Evo 4G to come out on Sprint. This will be the best phone in the US market when it releases. The plan you should get is Sprint EPRP. $60/month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and data. The Evo 4G will have a 4.3'' screen. It won't have a keyboard, but the only other phones that have a keyboard have ones that are pretty bad to be honest. It's got Google's free GPS voice GPS, it has Wi-Fi plus 4G abilities if 4G is in your area, a great web browser and you can get a good music player for it.

You'll probably use something like Touchdown for Android Exchange, you're better off asking the Android thread people on that one though. You won't have to pay extra to do this on Sprint.

tl;dr version: Wait to get the Evo 4G on Sprint because the plan is cheap and the phone is badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon
Contract Status: I'm on my mom's family plan and I'm up for an upgrade discount in a couple of weeks. I think my mom's contract runs until 2012.
Budget: $100 or less considering the upgrade discount.

Features I know I want: Calling, Texting, Email (gmail), a good browser, and a good touchscreen keyboard.

Stuff I'm not sure about : I don't care about GPS or music player capabilities. I'd like to avoid a hardware qwerty keyboard but i'm not totally opposed to it.

Right now I'm using a Motorola Adventure V750 and I hate it. It freezes up frequently and I'm ready to add data to my life. Basically I've narrowed down my choices to either the Droid Eris or the Palm Pre Plus. I only mention the Pre Plus because I think its price was recently lowered. I could be wrong though. Feel free to try to sway me either way between those two but I'm leaning toward the Eris because I like HTC's form factor and as far as I know Android is preferable to WebOS in the long run. I would wait for the Nexus One to come to Verizon but I don't think it will be within my budget when it first comes out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DammitJanet posted:

Contract Status: I'm on my mom's family plan and I'm up for an upgrade discount in a couple of weeks. I think my mom's contract runs until 2012.

Features I know I want: Calling, Texting, Email (gmail), a good browser, and a good touchscreen keyboard.

Stuff I'm not sure about : I don't care about GPS or music player capabilities. I'd like to avoid a hardware qwerty keyboard but i'm not totally opposed to it.

Right now I'm using a Motorola Adventure V750 and I hate it. It freezes up frequently and I'm ready to add data to my life. Basically I've narrowed down my choices to either the Droid Eris or the Palm Pre Plus. I only mention the Pre Plus because I think its price was recently lowered. I could be wrong though. Feel free to try to sway me either way between those two but I'm leaning toward the Eris because I like HTC's form factor and as far as I know Android is preferable to WebOS in the long run. I would wait for the Nexus One to come to Verizon but I don't think it will be within my budget when it first comes out.

Price wise the Pre Plus was just lowered to $149.99 with $100 rebate, which is really, really good. Not only that, but they are offering the wifi tethering free. The Droid Eris is cool, specs wise though the Pre is probably a faster phone. WebOS is def more of a risk in terms of long term support than Android, but WebOS is really cool (I'm an android geek too) and really shouldn't give you any problems and do everything you want. Make sure you like the Pre's keypad.

In the end, both are overall good phones, go with whichever you like more.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Duckman2008 posted:

Price wise the Pre Plus was just lowered to $149.99 with $100 rebate, which is really, really good. Not only that, but they are offering the wifi tethering free. The Droid Eris is cool, specs wise though the Pre is probably a faster phone. WebOS is def more of a risk in terms of long term support than Android, but WebOS is really cool (I'm an android geek too) and really shouldn't give you any problems and do everything you want. Make sure you like the Pre's keypad.

In the end, both are overall good phones, go with whichever you like more.

Thanks for weighing in. I think I'm going to go with the Eris. I just can't resist HTC's style and I have no device that would ever need tethering...yet.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

DammitJanet posted:

The Droid Eris is a first-gen Android phone that's already a bit slow. If you want Android, save your money for the Droid. The Droid is a lot better phone if you can wait. It's not a slow first-gen phone. You don't have to use the Droid's keyboard, But if you can't wait for some reason, then go with the Eris.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Godzilla07 posted:

The Droid Eris is a first-gen Android phone that's already a bit slow. If you want Android, save your money for the Droid. The Droid is a lot better phone if you can wait. It's not a slow first-gen phone. You don't have to use the Droid's keyboard, But if you can't wait for some reason, then go with the Eris.

Slow first-gen? It seemed fine to me when I played with it in the store. The droid is kind of bulky and brick-like for my tastes, and I hate physical keypads.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DammitJanet posted:

Slow first-gen? It seemed fine to me when I played with it in the store. The droid is kind of bulky and brick-like for my tastes, and I hate physical keypads.

He is correct. The Eris has hardware that is about a year old on it. The Droid would be much better long term performance wise. For what you are looking for though, the Eris still would probably do the trick.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Duckman2008 posted:

He is correct. The Eris has hardware that is about a year old on it. The Droid would be much better long term performance wise. For what you are looking for though, the Eris still would probably do the trick.

More than a year old. basically the same processor as the g1. the arm11 chip in there is pretty drat ancient.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Tedronai66 posted:

More than a year old. basically the same processor as the g1. the arm11 chip in there is pretty drat ancient.

Well, if the speed is anything like the first gen iPhone I'm sure it'll be fast enough for me. I don't really need the latest and greatest.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

DammitJanet posted:

Well, if the speed is anything like the first gen iPhone I'm sure it'll be fast enough for me. I don't really need the latest and greatest.

It's not a matter of the latest and greatest, it's a matter of not having to throw your phone into the wall out of frustration. HTC's Sense UI is a bit more demanding on that hardware than the first-gen iPhone. If you don't believe us, go to the Android Stock Devices thread and ask them for their opinion.

I'll stick with my advice here: if you don't need the phone right this minute, get the Droid. The Droid is infinitely better despite the extra bulk from the hardware keyboard you will never use. Maybe the HTC Incredible will be out on Verizon by the time you get enough money together for a Droid. The HTC Incredible is even faster than the Droid, no keyboard and a giant screen.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Excellent point. I think I'll hang in there for the Incredible or maybe even the Nexus One. I'm not in a huge hurry. Thanks so much.

aunt moneybags
Jun 11, 2006

I like gin, and I don't like hugs.
Country/Provider: USA - Verizon

Current contract status: Eligible for new every two upgrade on April 30th

Budget (phone/plan): I'm on the family plan and we are all upgrading to the 29.99 data plan to get smartphones. I think we're not going to go any higher than around $150 for the phone, but that all sort of depends. The upgrade price is the same as the new contract price.

Features I know I want: I want all the dumbphone capabilities, and the stuff that is important to me otherwise, in order, would be

email (preferably from multiple accounts - gmail and a gmail labs acct.)
good facebook/twitter apps
worakble browser
probably a physical keyboard, because when I used the BB Storm I absolutely hated it, but I hear the capacitance screens are good so I don't know.
NO CLIT MICE!
GPS
everything else is cool but peripheral.

We were really looking at the Droid, and tried to upgrade when they had the 2 for 1 promotion but we were too early. Mom also likes the Palm but I have heard nothing but bad stuff about it. I guess what it comes down to is, I will probably get the Droid unless y'all think there is something else out there that's preferable.

When is the Nexus One coming to Verizon?

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Hey I'm eligible for upgrade next month-I'm in the UK on Orange network and I don't really want to pay more than £25 per month for my contract.

The main features I want are:
Email/twitter easy access
mp3 player
Camera (A good one that means I won't need a dedicated digital camera anymore)
Tower defense games!
GPS if possible
Pref not an iPhone (Can't afford one anyway!)

I'm looking at the Sony Eric Xperia X10 (Think thats the right spelling....) and I've already seen this phone on some networks within my price range. I could buy a memory card to make this phone 16Gb for £30 which is plenty of space for my music and other stuff.

Does anyone have any experience of this handset and would they recommend it? Or is there another model I should look out for?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

aunt moneybags posted:

Country/Provider: USA - Verizon

Current contract status: Eligible for new every two upgrade on April 30th

Budget (phone/plan): I'm on the family plan and we are all upgrading to the 29.99 data plan to get smartphones. I think we're not going to go any higher than around $150 for the phone, but that all sort of depends. The upgrade price is the same as the new contract price.

Features I know I want: I want all the dumbphone capabilities, and the stuff that is important to me otherwise, in order, would be

email (preferably from multiple accounts - gmail and a gmail labs acct.)
good facebook/twitter apps
worakble browser
probably a physical keyboard, because when I used the BB Storm I absolutely hated it, but I hear the capacitance screens are good so I don't know.
NO CLIT MICE!
GPS
everything else is cool but peripheral.

We were really looking at the Droid, and tried to upgrade when they had the 2 for 1 promotion but we were too early. Mom also likes the Palm but I have heard nothing but bad stuff about it. I guess what it comes down to is, I will probably get the Droid unless y'all think there is something else out there that's preferable.

When is the Nexus One coming to Verizon?

You don't need a physical keyboard. The Storm just sucks. The Storm is RIM's standard platform but with a touchscreen slapped on with little touchscreen optimizations.

The Nexus One won't be available to you unless you want to pay $529 for it. Google is probably gonna do the same thing they did with the T-Mobile N1, either go with 1 specific plan or buy it outright. The HTC Incredible which is basically the N1 but with Sense UI should be out by the end of the month if some of the leaked documents are out. The Incredible is faster than the Droid, with a bigger screen also to boot.

The Pre Plus is the one to get for your mom. It's a really nice phone and I believe the Plus has solved the build quality issues. The Pre Plus also has free Wi-Fi hotspot capability, meaning that you can tether any 5 devices (i.e. laptop, iPod touch) to your Pre Plus for no extra charge. Beware on the keyboard, if she doesn't like it, then tell her to check out the Incredible instead.

aunt moneybags
Jun 11, 2006

I like gin, and I don't like hugs.

Godzilla07 posted:

You don't need a physical keyboard. The Storm just sucks. The Storm is RIM's standard platform but with a touchscreen slapped on with little touchscreen optimizations.

The Nexus One won't be available to you unless you want to pay $529 for it. Google is probably gonna do the same thing they did with the T-Mobile N1, either go with 1 specific plan or buy it outright. The HTC Incredible which is basically the N1 but with Sense UI should be out by the end of the month if some of the leaked documents are out. The Incredible is faster than the Droid, with a bigger screen also to boot.

The Pre Plus is the one to get for your mom. It's a really nice phone and I believe the Plus has solved the build quality issues. The Pre Plus also has free Wi-Fi hotspot capability, meaning that you can tether any 5 devices (i.e. laptop, iPod touch) to your Pre Plus for no extra charge. Beware on the keyboard, if she doesn't like it, then tell her to check out the Incredible instead.

Thanks for this. I will look into the Incredible. What is the difference between that and the Eris? (Other than the fact that the Eris is ominously named after the goddess of discord...)

I have a friend who does have the N1 and he said he wants a droid. Why would I want an Incredible over a Droid?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

aunt moneybags posted:

Thanks for this. I will look into the Incredible. What is the difference between that and the Eris? (Other than the fact that the Eris is ominously named after the goddess of discord...)

I have a friend who does have the N1 and he said he wants a droid. Why would I want an Incredible over a Droid?

The Eris is slow, last-generation hardware. The Eris is using a processor that dates from early 2008, when HTC first used it in the Touch Diamond. The Incredible is basically the Nexus One but with Sense UI.

The Incredible is faster than the Droid and it doesn't have a useless hardware keyboard. Yes, the Droid's keyboard is that bad. The Incredible also has HTC's Sense UI which is very nice. The Incredible has nicer hardware than the Droid, but either of them would be a good option.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Godzilla07 posted:

The Eris is slow, last-generation hardware. The Eris is using a processor that dates from early 2008, when HTC first used it in the Touch Diamond. The Incredible is basically the Nexus One but with Sense UI.

The Incredible is faster than the Droid and it doesn't have a useless hardware keyboard. Yes, the Droid's keyboard is that bad. The Incredible also has HTC's Sense UI which is very nice. The Incredible has nicer hardware than the Droid, but either of them would be a good option.

I'll actually come out and say I like the Droid's keyboard, although it does take a bit of getting used to. Also I haven't used one long-term, just fooled around with my brother's phone for an afternoon. I'd go to a store and compare models yourself. None of this changes the processor speed differential, obviously.

(Perhaps this opinion will change once my Droid actually arrives in the mail!)

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

Country/Provider: USA, T-Mobile
Contract Status: Out of contract, I can switch to another company if need be, but I'd like as little of a contract as possible.
Budget: Sky is the limit.

I need a replacement for my sidekick. I bought my first SK1 in 2003, bought almost every new sidekick, which were constantly at least a year behind the other cell phone tech at the time, but I love the phone. Now there won't be anymore, so I need an alternative.

Basically here's what I'm looking for.

- Physical keyboard, preferably one that slides out in some fashion (Like a sidekick, G1 or droid)

- D Pad or scroll wheel would be nice. If you're going to give it a D pad, put it on the left side like everyone with videogame thumbs is used to.

- Runs several programs at once, not just one, and instantly flip between them.

It seems like every phone now is a touchscreen mess with no UI that can't do simple things the sidekick did in 2004. I kept the sidekick because I could browse the web, email, do crosswords and check facebook at the same time, and if I ever got a text, IM or twitter reply, it'd tell me right away. Now I'm seeing G3/G4 phones advertising that they can run 4 apps at once or Copy and Paste or have text notifications on the top of the screen, but they all seem pretty cheap and gimmicky.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Import a Telus Motorola Milestone from Canada (check eBay and HowardForums). It's the GSM/UMTS version of the Droid. It'll work on T-Mobile and AT&T, but you'll need to be on AT&T to get 3G from it.

AT&T will make you sign a contract, but you can get a $299 iPhone 3GS with your contract and eBay it for an easy $600. Put the profits in a savings account and use them to pay off the ETF (with some left over) when you're ready to leave AT&T. Contracts suck, learn to play their game, etc.

Same song, same dance.

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

alien8 posted:

Hoping this is the correct thread, so here goes:

I'm in Canada right now with an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8900 on Rogers. A year ago I vacationed in England and was able to get a prepaid data plan with Orange. It was great - I could Blackberry message to family back home, send & receive email, and use the web to plan routes on the underground. All I had to pay for up front was the SIM card and the chunk of voice minutes and data usage that I expected to use. When my account ran low I could refill it from my phone as needed.

This spring, my wife and I will be taking a road trip along the Pacific coast from Vancouver down to San Diego, and I guess my question is whether or not there are any American providers that I will be able to get a prepaid voice/data plan with similar to what I used overseas?

Here's to hoping that I can. I shudder at the thought of paying Rogers' ridiculous data roaming fees.
Just in case anyone is in the same situation as me - Rogers just launched new data One Rate plans, which give shared data usage across North America. My $25/month 500MB data plan is $35/month for the One Rate version, and it's no problem to switch it back when I get back from vacation.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

kalibar posted:

Same song, same dance.

What's the difference between this an the US droid? I've used droids and am constantly less and less impressed with their keyboard, UI and button layouts.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Country/Provider: For now, AT&T, going to Germany for 3-6 months in June so a pre-paid O2 SIM or something then I guess

Current contract status: Contract ended years ago, haven't upgraded my phone, not looking to sign up for another 12-24 months though. Also the whole "buy an iPhone then sell it, etc" plan isn't something I want to do.

Budget (phone/plan): $250

Features I know I want: I'd love an iPhone or some sort of similar smart phone (Nexus) but since I'm going to spend 3-6 months in Germany starting in July (and because I'm trying to spend only $250), I don't want to get a phone that doesn't work so well without a data plan (I have no idea about German phone plans, but I remember at least in Spain it was expensive to talk but cheap to text, I didn't even think about data). I don't know if this precludes me from a touch screen smart phone or not.

I currently have a Nokia N79 that I bought a year ago. It's in fine condition and works great (am thinking about selling it, is $100 too much to ask?) but I'm tiring of it. I've been looking at the N85 (the phone I probably should have gotten in the first place) as a possible replacement. Should I get an N85, or are there other phones out there that would fit that bill (like the SE C905 or could I get a decent Android phone for my price)?

I'm also trying to think about future functionality (future software upgrades, application availability (or am I screwed with this if I don't have Android/BB/iPhone?)

Fake edit: Would the Nokia C6 be a decent phone for me maybe? It looks like it might be in my budget and is supposed to come out in the next month or two. Or is that a bad idea/better to spend my money on a different phone?

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 15, 2010

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

nerd_of_prey posted:

Hey I'm eligible for upgrade next month-I'm in the UK on Orange network and I don't really want to pay more than £25 per month for my contract.

The main features I want are:
Email/twitter easy access
mp3 player
Camera (A good one that means I won't need a dedicated digital camera anymore)
Tower defense games!
GPS if possible
Pref not an iPhone (Can't afford one anyway!)

I'm looking at the Sony Eric Xperia X10 (Think thats the right spelling....) and I've already seen this phone on some networks within my price range. I could buy a memory card to make this phone 16Gb for £30 which is plenty of space for my music and other stuff.

Does anyone have any experience of this handset and would they recommend it? Or is there another model I should look out for?

Just a heads up. I don't have any experience myself with the SE X10, but looking at different phones, as I too am in the market, I found a swedish review criticizing the speed of the screen. This video shows the problem: http://tv.idg.se/2.8683/1.307318/sa-har-seg-ar-sony-ericssons-x10 The video is in swedish, but pretty self explanatory.
It's just the screen that's the problem, not the actual phone. Made me look away from the X10, and I have been very pleased with my SonyEricson phones in the past.

uno.mannschaft fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 14, 2010

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I used to crave the X10, but Sony Ericsson cheaped out and used a hardware touchscreen that doesn't support multi-touch. Like, we're not talking "oh they were just too lame to ship the phone with 2.1 and multitouch enabled," they actually used a touschreen that doesn't support it. As a sidenote, they're super loving smug about it, too. I wish I could find the guy who wrote that and yell at him.

The X10 is dead to me, and should be to you too. Get a Nexus One.

McCune
Mar 25, 2003
"HAS VEGETABLE SALTY
•Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

•Current contract status: family plan - contract expired

•Budget (phone/plan): whatever

•Features I know I want: sync with Microsoft Exchange so my work mail is pushed to the phone

I've narrowed my search to either the Nexus One or iPhone. When taking the 2-year plans into consideration, there isn't much of a price difference. The N1 comes out a bit more expensive, given the $10-per-month increase in plan cost, but the phone is slightly cheaper up front (the T-Mobile plan price info is from Google's site).

Are there substantial advantages either way? I don't really have any loyalty to T-Mobile, so that's not a factor.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

McCune posted:

•Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

•Current contract status: family plan - contract expired

•Budget (phone/plan): whatever

•Features I know I want: sync with Microsoft Exchange so my work mail is pushed to the phone

I've narrowed my search to either the Nexus One or iPhone. When taking the 2-year plans into consideration, there isn't much of a price difference. The N1 comes out a bit more expensive, given the $10-per-month increase in plan cost, but the phone is slightly cheaper up front (the T-Mobile plan price info is from Google's site).

Are there substantial advantages either way? I don't really have any loyalty to T-Mobile, so that's not a factor.

The N1 is going to be more open than the iPhone and it offers true multitasking. The N1 also has better GPS software. Really to tell you to get the N1 or the iPhone you would have to let us know what you want to do with your phone.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Country/Provider: Sprint currently. Open to move to Verizon, T-Mobile or stay with Sprint.

Current contract status: Contract ends next month. Non contract would be nice but the subsidies on the android phones are pretty decent.

Budget (phone/plan): up to $150 or so

Features I know I want: Android, either the EVO or Droid Incredible. Family plan with my mom is what I am wanting to do now. I am going to be getting 2 identical phones mainly so I can easily support my mom's phone. My mom needs to be able to use her phone overseas if at all possible.

Combined minutes needed is around 1500. I don't use my phone for calling that much, but my mom does. I use my phone mainly for data. Google maps, internet, streaming music are all things I want to be able to do with my phone.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 16, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

Country/Provider: Sprint currently. Open to move to Verizon, T-Mobile or stay with Sprint.

Current contract status: Contract ends next month. Non contract would be nice but the subsidies on the android phones are pretty decent.

Budget (phone/plan): up to $150 or so

Features I know I want: Android, either the EVO or Droid Incredible. Family plan with my mom is what I am wanting to do now. I am going to be getting 2 identical phones mainly so I can easily support my mom's phone. My mom needs to be able to use her phone overseas if at all possible.

Combined minutes needed is around 1500. I don't use my phone for calling that much, but my mom does. I use my phone mainly for data. Google maps, internet, streaming music are all things I want to be able to do with my phone.

I haven't seen any reports on either the evo or incredible being international so you may be poo poo out of luck there. Otherwise ts preference and where are you are at, if there is good sprit coverage sprint is cheaper. Either one make sure you find some kind of work discount.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't seen any reports on either the evo or incredible being international so you may be poo poo out of luck there. Otherwise ts preference and where are you are at, if there is good sprit coverage sprint is cheaper. Either one make sure you find some kind of work discount.

International I can get around, I can forward her phone to a europeean one pretty easily I think with Sprint. What is the discount like for companies? It will be through University of Minnesota. I checked their website but it isn't working right now.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

kri kri posted:

International I can get around, I can forward her phone to a europeean one pretty easily I think with Sprint. What is the discount like for companies? It will be through University of Minnesota. I checked their website but it isn't working right now.

If you are living in an area with 4g and/or want to use wimax get the EVO. If not, pick the one you think looks cooler since they're both pretty much the same.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Tux Racer posted:

If you are living in an area with 4g and/or want to use wimax get the EVO. If not, pick the one you think looks cooler since they're both pretty much the same.

Except for the Evo's 4.3'' screen against the Incredible's 3.7''.

Also, Sprint has cheaper plans. Look at EPRP in the Sprint thread for more.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

Except for the Evo's 4.3'' screen against the Incredible's 3.7''.

Also, Sprint has cheaper plans. Look at EPRP in the Sprint thread for more.

He's already on Sprint, so getting on EPRP would require him to move his number to a prepaid line, then open an EPRP line and move it back. Or just cancel and get a completely new number with EPRP.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
I need advice about what provider to get in the US.

I will be in the US for a month this summer on a road trip with an HTC Desire, and a decent data plan would be really helpful (for google maps, e-mail, finding hotels, etc). I am thinking the 100$ T-Mobile prepaid plan is for me, but there's no info on the page about data. I am also considering the Sidekick plan - if it's really $1 per day for unlimited web, that would be killer - but I like it less if I'm limited to a T-Mobile portal site or something.

Gold and a Pager posted:

Country/Provider: For now, AT&T, going to Germany for 3-6 months in June so a pre-paid O2 SIM or something then I guess

I live in Germany so I can answer any questions you might have, at best via PM. There's a couple options for you as far as prepay/postpay goes. For talking and messaging, blau.de gives you (IMHO) the best options, with about 10 cents per minute voice to any mobile or land line, as well as 100MB/month for 2.99 and 1GB/month for 9.99. They are on the worst data network though, with most cities limited to about 400kbps. Also, you can go as low as 7.5 cents/min or SMS with companies like DiscoTel, but they have worse data options I think.

If you want a faster data plan, the providers with the fastest data network are, in order:
1. Vodafone
2. T-Mobile
3. O2
4. E-Plus (which blau uses)

That's also the order of how much each costs, usually. If you need fast internet, there's a postpay plan from O2 that gives you 200 minutes to any network, 200 SMS and internet flat (data usage over 200MB is limited to GPRS speeds) for 20 EUR/month.

One thing for Americans to keep in mind is that incoming calls don't cost minutes or money, but calling to and from cell phones usually costs more than calling a land line. Also, there's 4 different cell networks; calling within your network (e.g. Vodafone to Vodafone) usually costs the same as calling a land line.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon.

Current contract status:
Just about over, end of April.

Budget (phone/plan):
$200 -$500, if compelling enough.

Features I know I want:
1. Excellent battery life.
2. Easy to fit in pocket, I do a lot of walking/biking and don't want a massive phone.
3. Very good Wi-Fi & web browsing. E-mail, text messaging.
4. Very capable keyboard/pad, it'll be worked very hard.
5. Well designed scheduling program/calendar.
6. GPS/maps are nice.
7. Music and video player is a nice plus, I don't have an MP3 player.

The iPhone seems like huge overkill for me, I don't use many apps, and I don't spend a lot of time with the phone outside of work. All my friends with iPhones are married to them. I don't want to become that person! Also, very tempting to stay on Verizon plan, most of my calls/texts are within the Verizon network. Droid is an option, perhaps? Thanks in advance fellas.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

I work for sprint (indirect) so I'll try and remember to check for you tomorrow.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jedah posted:

Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon.

Current contract status:
Just about over, end of April.

Budget (phone/plan):
$200 -$500, if compelling enough.

Features I know I want:
1. Excellent battery life.
2. Easy to fit in pocket, I do a lot of walking/biking and don't want a massive phone.
3. Very good Wi-Fi & web browsing. E-mail, text messaging.
4. Very capable keyboard/pad, it'll be worked very hard.
5. Well designed scheduling program/calendar.
6. GPS/maps are nice.
7. Music and video player is a nice plus, I don't have an MP3 player.

The iPhone seems like huge overkill for me, I don't use many apps, and I don't spend a lot of time with the phone outside of work. All my friends with iPhones are married to them. I don't want to become that person! Also, very tempting to stay on Verizon plan, most of my calls/texts are within the Verizon network. Droid is an option, perhaps? Thanks in advance fellas.

Lucky you, the HTC Droid Incredible comes out at the end of the month. You may have a little trouble adjusting to the software keyboard, but it's more usable than the clunky mass found on the Droid. The Droid Incredible is the best Android phone currently out on the US market and you're paying $199 after a $100 MIR.

It fits all of your requirements well, except you're going to have to download bTunes, a $1.49 app to handle music. Default Android blows at playing music, bTunes is a direct ripoff of the iPod interface from an iPhone which is goo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Godzilla07 posted:

Lucky you, the HTC Droid Incredible comes out at the end of the month. You may have a little trouble adjusting to the software keyboard, but it's more usable than the clunky mass found on the Droid. The Droid Incredible is the best Android phone currently out on the US market and you're paying $199 after a $100 MIR.

drat, I am lucky. Thanks, looks like a perfect option.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, the Droid Incredible is a real winner. I've finally got nothing to ridicule Verizon customers for, until Sprint gets the Evo (and continues selling dramatically less-expensive plans for it).

Engadget's review kinda overhyped SenseUI, especially given that you can load it onto the Nexus One, but make no mistake -- the phone is a bonafide winner.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon.

Current contract status:
I don't know, offhand. I know it's a family plan and that I've been eligible for a New Every 2 for a few months, now.

Budget (phone/plan):
I can probably make a one-time phone payment work at any price. I can't do a data plan right now.

Features I know I want:
Well, I currently have an LG VX8300, and have no complaints about it beyond it being a few years old and not capable of all the fun stuff phones have been able to do since the end of '08. Phone envy, I guess. Trouble is, most of those phones and that fun stuff require data plans, which I can't manage at the moment. I only do calls, texts and loving around with custom ringtones on my 8300; is there anything available that's significantly better at these things than the 8300 and is easy to work with and fits in a pocket, or should I just stick with mine until I can get a data plan, and try to put the NE2 credit toward an Incredible or whatever newer phone's the best at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Country/Provider: Japan/au

Current Contract Status: 2 year contract, good through July

Budget: not an issue

Feature: Android, good web browsing

Japan is like the Galapagos Islands when it comes to phones. Android models are just coming out now.

-au has some "smartbook" ~5" clamshell microPC target at bloggers, don't know its telephone capabilities. It runs v1.6 of Android. http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20100330_kddi_android_is01/
-Docomo has the X10, but the little coverage I have seen on it doesn't seem impressive.
-Softbank will be getting the HTC Desire at the end of this month.

There is also a possibility that some new models will be out in the summer, but I will be traveling, so making a switch would be more complicated. Do you have any strong recommendations for one of the 3 devices, or should I wait 3 months and see?

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 21, 2010