Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Kzuri posted:

I have a lovely netbook with like 800mhz atom cpu, 2gb ram and vista, will deus ex play on it?

I originally installed/beat Deus Ex ten years ago on a 450mhz AMD K6-2 with 64 megs of ram and a Voodoo 3 3000. I think you'll live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Tiggs posted:

I originally installed/beat Deus Ex ten years ago on a 450mhz AMD K6-2 with 64 megs of ram and a Voodoo 3 3000. I think you'll live

I never finished it until a few years after it came out, but I did manage to play on my Pentium 133, with 80 megs of RAM and a voodoo 2 card. It took some tweaking and didn't look great, but I got it to run pretty drat smooth. People seem to forget just how slow computers were ten years ago.

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma

Kzuri posted:

I have a lovely netbook with like 800mhz atom cpu, 2gb ram and vista, will deus ex play on it?

Deus Ex is fine on vista. At least the STEAM version is. Had a session just now and it was great.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
What happens if you upload the Gray Death schematics to Tracer Tong, but escape VersaLife without destroying the UC?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bartkusa posted:

What happens if you upload the Gray Death schematics to Tracer Tong, but escape VersaLife without destroying the UC?
I don't think the escape hatch opens until the UC blows up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Oh my god how did I only just realise the MiB's have a Third Eye tattooed on the back of their necks?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Penguingo posted:

Oh my god how did I only just realise the MiB's have a Third Eye tattooed on the back of their necks?

Not only that, but there's an NPC in Versalife who mentions it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror.

I can't wait to spring that on some over-zealous Mormon kid.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I installed Deus Ex again, and ran in a few technical issues.
Deus Ex does not like DEP, but that's easily fixed with an exclusion. My bigger annoyance is that I can't get the D3D10 renderer working.
"Can't initialize Direct3D device" SCREW YOU!

For some reason my sound was also distorted the first few times I launched it but it seems to have fixed itself. God knows how.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Male Man posted:

Not only that, but there's an NPC in Versalife who mentions it.

Yeah that's when I first noticed it a few weeks ago

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Shumagorath posted:

I don't think the escape hatch opens until the UC blows up.

Can't you go out the front door?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bartkusa posted:

When you go back into Versalife you enter through the sewer and fall down a long pipe that's too far away to get back into.

cool jamal
Mar 27, 2010

by Tiny Fistpump
why do the MIB explode when you kill them?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kzuri posted:

I assume you mean a 1.6GHz Atom, as 800MHz Atoms don't exist. Most Atom-powered netbooks have Intel integrated graphics chipsets, which are terrible for gaming. It might be playable, but it'll probably be pretty choppy most of the time.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

cool jamal posted:

I assume it's so you can't get your zyme-covered hands all over classified technology. Gunther and Anna also explode when killed, which makes it a bitch to fight them low-tech.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hard Clumping posted:

I assume it's so you can't get your zyme-covered hands all over classified technology. Gunther and Anna also explode when killed, which makes it a bitch to fight them low-tech.

It's not that hard; just keep an ear out for their "AAUUGGGHHH" death gurgle and back the gently caress up as soon as you hear it.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Riso posted:

I installed Deus Ex again, and ran in a few technical issues.
Deus Ex does not like DEP, but that's easily fixed with an exclusion. My bigger annoyance is that I can't get the D3D10 renderer working.
"Can't initialize Direct3D device" SCREW YOU!

For some reason my sound was also distorted the first few times I launched it but it seems to have fixed itself. God knows how.

Do you have a system that can do DirectX10? Like Vista and an 8800 or better? If so could you look at the log file and email the author of it

SM64Guy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 18, 2010

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
You notice the MIB's third eyes a lot more if you try and knock them out instead of making them explode.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Weedle posted:

I assume you mean a 1.6GHz Atom, as 800MHz Atoms don't exist. Most Atom-powered netbooks have Intel integrated graphics chipsets, which are terrible for gaming. It might be playable, but it'll probably be pretty choppy most of the time.
Intel integrated chips are terrible for gaming but Deus Ex is so old that it still doesn't matter, especially with how low a res netbooks run at. The last time I played through Deus Ex it was on a PC with an Intel 8 chipset, and most netbooks are on Intel 9 series. As long as the netbook guy doesn't want to play TNM or that one DX mod set in Tokyo with the retarded big maps, he'll be fine.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bartkusa posted:

I've never taken the elevator and always opted to use the sewer entrance. Call me crazy but I've never wanted to charge through a horde of spider bots, or even the reception area given that my exit is usually:

1. Drop gas grenade from four floors up.
2. Jump down with the Leg aug.
3. Flip the bird as the elevator closes.

Deus Ex is one of the few games where I've really enjoyed causing a huge commotion, dodging ten hapless guards and escaping without firing a shot.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My favorite run through was taking the mods for silent feet, invisible to organics, and invisible to machines, increased melee damage and the dragon's tooth. I just stocked up on batteries for the first half of the game without using any, and then for the last half I just turned those three things on for close to the whole time and went around wailing on people with the sword. Nobody could see me or hear me. As far as they knew people were just being sliced open and/or exploding for no reason whatsoever. It was awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cool jamal posted:

So they don't leave any evidence. There's a datacube about their design, I believe in the MJ12 lab under you know what.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Riven posted:

silent feet
This was completely redundant since you could use the other running aug and just crouch for complete silence. Shifter at least made the silence aug passive and IW even added noise to crouch-running.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

Intel integrated chips are terrible for gaming but Deus Ex is so old that it still doesn't matter, especially with how low a res netbooks run at. The last time I played through Deus Ex it was on a PC with an Intel 8 chipset, and most netbooks are on Intel 9 series. As long as the netbook guy doesn't want to play TNM or that one DX mod set in Tokyo with the retarded big maps, he'll be fine.

I based my response on my own experience trying to play DX on a Lenovo netbook with a 1.6GHz Atom, 2GB of RAM, a GMA 950, and Windows 7. My framerate generally hovered around 10-15 and rarely went above 20.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Casimir Radon posted:

When you go back into Versalife you enter through the sewer and fall down a long pipe that's too far away to get back into.

Didn't someone post a video in the thread earlier that showed an escape vent right above the UC? Can you still not get out that way?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

AXE COP posted:

Didn't someone post a video in the thread earlier that showed an escape vent right above the UC? Can you still not get out that way?

That's the first stage of VersaLife, where you get the Dragon's Tooth designs, not the second stage, where you get the Gray Death/Ambrosia designs, and destroy the UC.

I seem to remember going in through the door to level 2 from level 1, instead of using the sewer pipe, but it's possible I got the door code off the internet instead of from the game.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
Edit:- yea ^

AXE COP posted:

No that's from when you're uploading nanotech Blade ROM. The whole UC thing is when you go through the sewer way to another part of Versalife a bit later in the game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

SM64Guy posted:

Do you have a system that can do DirectX10? Like Vista and an 8800 or better? If so could you look at the log file and email the author of it

:rolleyes:

Do you really think I'd try using DX10 on an unsupported system and then wonder why it doesn't work?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

chimz posted:

That's the first stage of VersaLife, where you get the Dragon's Tooth designs, not the second stage, where you get the Gray Death/Ambrosia designs, and destroy the UC.

I seem to remember going in through the door to level 2 from level 1, instead of using the sewer pipe, but it's possible I got the door code off the internet instead of from the game.
I didn't even know there was a door to level 2 from level 1. Wouldn't that sorta break the game if you got to level 2 on your first Versalife mission?

The sewers seem to be intentionally the only way in anyway.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

8raz posted:

I didn't even know there was a door to level 2 from level 1. Wouldn't that sorta break the game if you got to level 2 on your first Versalife mission?

The sewers seem to be intentionally the only way in anyway.

The code changes between visits. I just looked it up, and the code is the same as the one you use to get in the sewer (55655).

Check it out: http://sites.google.com/site/darkreality/codes

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Weedle posted:

I based my response on my own experience trying to play DX on a Lenovo netbook with a 1.6GHz Atom, 2GB of RAM, a GMA 950, and Windows 7. My framerate generally hovered around 10-15 and rarely went above 20.
YMMV due to OS or settings or maybe the processor but on a 2.2Ghz Celeron machine, with 1GB, XP, and an 828 chip, I got average 35 FPS. Just loaded up FRAPS and tested it. The lowest it dipped was 27 FPS when I went on a random DXMP server and four guys were fighting with plasma rifles and gep guns at once.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Have any of you tried going through it using the complete opposite playing style to the one you prefer? I tried playing it as Quake guy once, but it just felt so wrong, so I just reloaded and went through as a stealth character again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Once I realized how deep the conspiracy went I had a problem killing anyone who didn't directly and knowingly work for MJ-12.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 19, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
All this talk of Versa-Life reminds me: The second time you go there, if you ignore what the game says and go through the front door instead of taking the secret entrance there's a giant version of those little spider bots guarding the entrance. To the best of my knowledge that's the only time you encounter one in the game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All this talk of Versa-Life reminds me: The second time you go there, if you ignore what the game says and go through the front door instead of taking the secret entrance there's a giant version of those little spider bots guarding the entrance. To the best of my knowledge that's the only time you encounter one in the game.
Aren't there a couple in the Ocean Lab? Those things take a full stack of EMPs before going down.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's one in Area 51.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I didn't know you even could just go in the front door. :aaaaa:

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

See? This is why I love this game.

My mind was also blown once I found out you CAN FINALLY SHOOT/EXPLODE down doors. No more invulnerable doors (well rarely) that open with a magic key.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Grand Fromage posted:

What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's one in Area 51, but Versalife is the first time one appears.