Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

Duck Sauce needs to get off their asses and release Barbra Streisand or else I'ma make this into a full track and release that poo poo:

Ahahahahahahahhahahaahah holy poo poo. That rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mojangles posted:

What drum-VSTs do I want for a mac? Or do I just start scourging for samples?

What sequencer did you use again? Logic has Ultrabeat, Live has Impulse and the Drum Rack. Cubase 5 has Beat Designer. If all else fails, http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4 FXPansion Guru.

Fill any with samples till you drop and you're done, and as for the web, quality is usually not that awesome so you're probably off better with a nice kit from Loopmasters or something.

As for actual drumsynths - D16's got nice classics - http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=2 . There's also MicroTonic - http://www.soniccharge.com/mtonic and AudioDamage Tattoo http://www.audiodamage.com/instruments/product.php?pid=AD024 which looks like it's better value than Image-Line Drumaxx.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
After listening to a lot of New Order and Gaga/Little Boots lately, I've gotten the itch to try my hands at some synth-driven pop/rock. My only experience with music has been middle school band, so I know rudimentary music stuff. Would it be better to develop my music skills in other things (piano and stuff) before I start trying to learn about mixing and production?

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

mezzir posted:

Duck Sauce needs to get off their asses and release Barbra Streisand or else I'ma make this into a full track and release that poo poo:

Ahahaha :drat: That got a good laugh out of me.

drainpipe: I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary to know how to play piano or another instrument before trying your hand at synth-pop/rock, but it is absolutely a good idea. Some people have an ear that lets them open up FLStudio's piano roll and craft masterful movements without ever touching a real synth or keyboard in their lives. Others, well, can not.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Blinn posted:

I just put an hour into this; dubstep with a love of tritones

Is this the right kinda feel?

I like this, you should definitely expand this one into a full song.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Here's an update; I'm not too sure about the triplety thing at the end but it was just an idea; also I cleaned up some productiony stuff

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Yoozer posted:

What sequencer did you use again? Logic has Ultrabeat, Live has Impulse and the Drum Rack. Cubase 5 has Beat Designer. If all else fails, http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4 FXPansion Guru.

Fill any with samples till you drop and you're done, and as for the web, quality is usually not that awesome so you're probably off better with a nice kit from Loopmasters or something.

As for actual drumsynths - D16's got nice classics - http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=2 . There's also MicroTonic - http://www.soniccharge.com/mtonic and AudioDamage Tattoo http://www.audiodamage.com/instruments/product.php?pid=AD024 which looks like it's better value than Image-Line Drumaxx.
I'm on Ableton. I'll check out some of those links but Loopmasters-sets looks like a good option (and affordable!) Thanks!

I'm going crazy using arrangement view with loops I've made in session view. So much weird stuff happening I don't understand. Usually when I go back to edit a loop the arrangement goes crazy and start playing loops at the start of the track where I haven't even placed any loops?
Total beginner. Gonna watch a bunch of tutorials now.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Any of you with an Android phone should fire up the market and grab Uloops, it's a FLstudio style sequencer/tracker thing with a variety of drum kits and synth presets. I don't think that you can program synth tones from scratch, but you can do stuff like modulate VCF cutoff/resonance over a 1-4 bar loop, and build your loops into songs.

Plus it's built around a networked community where you can share/publish your tracks with other users, and also it's FREE.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Sounds like a fun way to kill time, thanks! Checking it out now..

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I'm on Ableton. I'll check out some of those links but Loopmasters-sets looks like a good option (and affordable!) Thanks!

I'm going crazy using arrangement view with loops I've made in session view. So much weird stuff happening I don't understand. Usually when I go back to edit a loop the arrangement goes crazy and start playing loops at the start of the track where I haven't even placed any loops?
Total beginner. Gonna watch a bunch of tutorials now.

It could be that you've got a clip playing, which will prevent the arrangement from playing. Live can only play one or the other. If you see a red button lit up at the top, that indicates that the session view has clips playing. Clicking the red button will tell it to play the arrangement again.

This might not be your issue, but it sounds like what I've run into before. You may want to go through the section of the manual dealing with Session and Arrangement view, I found it quite helpful.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Oh, that seems to be it. Simple enough, but thank you for helping out!

Also, reading the entire manual now. :haw:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Finally wrote a house track. This is my first serious attempt, let me know what you guys think and if there's anything I should change.

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

The Dark Wind posted:

Finally wrote a house track. This is my first serious attempt, let me know what you guys think and if there's anything I should change.

The build up is kinda slow in my opinion, but that's not really a bad thing in itself. It could use some more variation, like extra sound effects, riffs and stuff like that during the build up. I dig the sounds and riffs you've used. I could be wrong but the kick and some other elements sound a little distorted, maybe lower the volume a little or something. Overall it's pretty cool.

Here's an oldskool-style (kinda) house track with a progressive sound, or something. Made it yesterday. Anyone got any mixing tips or other advice / comments?

vv yeah got it

fart_man_69 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 20, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Let me help you with that.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Bout done with this track for a remix contest, anyone got any thoughts?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/99284/Look%20Pon%20Me.mp3

Das Kimboplex
Mar 22, 2010
Is there a big group of people that use Logic here? I know there's a Ableton thread, but no Logic thread :(

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic

Das Kimboplex posted:

Is there a big group of people that use Logic here? I know there's a Ableton thread, but no Logic thread :(
I lurk 99% of the time I spend here but I am a Logic user and somewhat proficient with that poo poo, even if I say so myself. Might be able to contribute.

Das Kimboplex
Mar 22, 2010

maximadigital posted:

I lurk 99% of the time I spend here but I am a Logic user and somewhat proficient with that poo poo, even if I say so myself. Might be able to contribute.

I just started using it, I got the official apple training books for Logic 9 [Beginner and Advanced]. I still have a bunch of questions and don't really want to thread poo poo with them. Is there any good Logic communities? I can't really find any active ones.

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
You could try http://www.logicprohelp.com/ or http://www.logic-users-group.com/ but I wouldn't worry much about threadshitting if I were you. Just shoot if you have a question.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Could someone recommend a cheapest-of-cheap no frills looping machine? My friend and I basically want to feed in via RCA, record it with the push of a button however long I need (no more than 10 seconds, pretty much) and have it loop indefinitely after that out through another pair of RCA jacks.

Start/stop buttons are of course welcome, as is external power, and so forth. We can run this through a mixing table so we don't need an amp I suppose.

This but with only one button and super cheap! http://www.redsound.com/products/SoundBITEXL

Any ideas?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Das Kimboplex posted:

Ask away, I use it and love to help

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I need someone to give me knowledge about pitch correction. You know. Autotune.

I've never used it, I never use vocals. I don't intend to, either. What I'm curious about using autotune for is to make atonal synth noise that comes out of my modular system make some musical sense within the dance productions I do. Essentially, force it to conform to a specific key and scale.

Has anyone used it for something like this? How were the results? What software did you use?

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
I got myself an Audio Kontrol a while back and only just got round to takin a look at the synth discount coupon.

So seems like i got a choice between pro53, FM8, Massive, and Absynth 4

any advice?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Nindoze posted:

I got myself an Audio Kontrol a while back and only just got round to takin a look at the synth discount coupon.

So seems like i got a choice between pro53, FM8, Massive, and Absynth 4

any advice?

Somebody asked this same question a few days ago and the consensus was "probably Massive, especially if you are interested in making dance-type music."

In a nutshell,

Pro-53: pretty nice virtual analog synth but there are tons of other good VA synths out there. Sort of old, has a lovely patch management system, also it's been discontinued so I don't even know if you can still get it from NI.

FM8: awesome reproduction of the FM7, aka the most difficult to program synth in existence. Lurvely digital sounds, but to give you some context, back in the day Kraftwerk spent several months with their brand new FM7 and basically concluded "this is loving difficult". FM8 has a nicely improved UI and some cool features like blending between patches, but it will require some serious effort and interest in FM synthesis to use it as much more than a preset box.

Massive: great sounding synth with a fantastic UI and impressively designed architecture. It's maybe not the ideal synth for EVERYTHING (nothing is) but it's very versatile and enjoyable to use once you get the hang of it. Killer sound for synth basses, dance leads, bright/punchy/squelchy stuff etc.

Absynth: Great sounding semi-modular synth, really good for stuff like strings/brasses/keys, especially great for big evolving ambient type soundscapes. Maybe worth a look if you are up on stuff like Eno, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, etc.

Also I'm pretty sure there are demos for all of these you can check out.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I need someone to give me knowledge about pitch correction. You know. Autotune.

I've never used it, I never use vocals. I don't intend to, either. What I'm curious about using autotune for is to make atonal synth noise that comes out of my modular system make some musical sense within the dance productions I do. Essentially, force it to conform to a specific key and scale.

Has anyone used it for something like this? How were the results? What software did you use?

Just learn music properly. To get auto-tune to work you'd have to know what key you want the song in anyway.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

IanTheM posted:

Just learn music properly. To get auto-tune to work you'd have to know what key you want the song in anyway.
Hmm, maybe I'm not explaining what I want to do. So, I make some noise that doesn't actually have a specific pitch, but is all over the place because a LFO is controlling the pitch. I want it to have a stepwise motion, conforming to a specific key and scale. I know I can program a pitch correcting plugin to make it do this, analyzing the incoming audio and manipulating the pitch to fit the scale. What I'm curious about, is if this will wildly alter the timbre of that audio material. Has anyone ever tried to do this before? I'm going to go ahead and download a demo of something to give it a shot and see how it sounds.

Thanks for implying that I don't understand music, by the way. I appreciate that. : )

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm not explaining what I want to do. So, I make some noise that doesn't actually have a specific pitch, but is all over the place because a LFO is controlling the pitch. I want it to have a stepwise motion, conforming to a specific key and scale. I know I can program a pitch correcting plugin to make it do this, analyzing the incoming audio and manipulating the pitch to fit the scale. What I'm curious about, is if this will wildly alter the timbre of that audio material. Has anyone ever tried to do this before? I'm going to go ahead and download a demo of something to give it a shot and see how it sounds.

Thanks for implying that I don't understand music, by the way. I appreciate that. : )

If the LFO's affecting the pitch then I'm pretty sure it'll have an effect as it'll try to force the sounds somehow to conform to a certain frequency. It really all depends, just try it and see. My guess is it'll just do that annoying warble.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

So, I make some noise that doesn't actually have a specific pitch, but is all over the place because a LFO is controlling the pitch. I want it to have a stepwise motion, conforming to a specific key and scale.
If you're talking about that massive oh-gently caress-me modular of yours, you should have a quantizer somewhere (or at least a module for it).

I mean, there's this: http://www.doepfer.de/a156.htm

Otherwise I don't know how much of your sound is going to be left; assuming that Auto-tune is aimed and optimized towards the vocal range.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
The A-156 kind of sucks, the Tame Machine from Flame is much better.

I'm going to be out of the studio today, but I should be back this evening. I'll try out my idea then to see how it sounds. I guess the reason I'm interested in doing this is because it just seems like a pretty far out idea, and lately I've been trying to think of strange sound design things that people haven't done before.

Yoozer posted:

Otherwise I don't know how much of your sound is going to be left; assuming that Auto-tune is aimed and optimized towards the vocal range.
What about that Melodyne DNA plugin? Unless I'm missing something, it was developed to work on different kinds of audio, not just vocals. Even if it doesn't work in the application I've been thinking of, it still seems like a very impressive piece of software.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I guess the reason I'm interested in doing this is because it just seems like a pretty far out idea, and lately I've been trying to think of strange sound design things that people haven't done before.

Pitch-shifters (back then Eventide Harmonizers) have been applied to drums :). Though those had a constant pitch, not one quantized to scale.

What about that Melodyne DNA plugin? Unless I'm missing something, it was developed to work on different kinds of audio, not just vocals. Even if it doesn't work in the application I've been thinking of, it still seems like a very impressive piece of software.
[/quote]
It does, and it is. However, it splits based on some magic that probably makes a number of assumptions based on combinations of transients and frequency ranges - sort of like image recognition in the audio domain. If your sound screws around with that algorithm you're not going to get what you want; and there'll always be loss of quality (which is not a problem if it's in the mix and only a minor correction).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Continuing my long-running series of "what the gently caress did I just make and whyyyyyy" I decided to start a cover of Thom Yorke - Eraser and do it how I thought prince would.

Special Note: as with all in this series, I am well aware I cannot sing

edit: hot drat, threw a random acapella from my folder of stuff i've downloaded for remix competitions and indeed. hot drat

mezzir fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 23, 2010

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

just made this last night but nowhere near done, critique?

was trying to go for something a little crystal-castles-y.

also mixed on earbuds so levels are probably off. can anyone with nice studio monitors confirm?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Chill-ish dnb-track I've been working on for couple days. My second serious track made with FL, still learning the finer points of it. Feedback welcome!

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

Friction posted:

Chill-ish dnb-track I've been working on for couple days. My second serious track made with FL, still learning the finer points of it. Feedback welcome!

This sounds really great for your second track. Are you using FL native VSTs?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

E1M5 posted:

This sounds really great for your second track. Are you using FL native VSTs?

Thanks! :) I've got years of history with trackers prior this, but FL is new to me.

Almost all pads, basses and arps are patches created from scratch with Massive. Beat, shuffles etc. use native FL stuff like Slicex.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

http://strangersong.bandcamp.com/album/there-is-always-somewhere-to-run-to-ep

Finally put this together, EP of dubstep stuff (more like dub techno & uk garage though). All free too.

Das Kimboplex
Mar 22, 2010
Any opinions on the Akai MPD32? I was thinking of getting it to compliment my ACP40

scubadub
May 29, 2007
Hello there fellow goons. I mostly lurk around here, but darn if i don't get inspired ever time I read this thread. So much awesome!

Been working with cubase for a couple weeks now, and would very much like some feedback. maybe even some tips on my mix perhaps, i have alot to learn.

Sort of a ambient thing i guess.

Something i was working on last night.

Be thrilled to have some feedback, good or bad. Have at it.

scubadub fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 2, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

scubadub posted:

Hello there fellow goons. I mostly lurk around here, but darn if i don't get inspired ever time I read this thread. So much awesome!

Been working with cubase for a couple weeks now, and would very much like some feedback. maybe even some tips on my mix perhaps, i have alot to learn.

Sort of a ambient thing i guess.

Something i was working on last night.

Be thrilled to have some feedback, good or bad. Have at it.

Here's a tip: next time you make something and decide to share it, dont copy those 2-4 bar loops for 5 minutes. A repeat once or twice will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scubadub
May 29, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Here's a tip: next time you make something and decide to share it, dont copy those 2-4 bar loops for 5 minutes. A repeat once or twice will do.

I will do that. I was trying to do a building thing to the last bit, but i guess i failed at that. i will work on it. thanks for listening.

• Locked thread