Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phuzion posted:

If you guys want to hit up EchoLink node 233315 (W8UPD-R) and I should be able to hear you connect. The other repeater I listen in on occasionally is node 146520 (KB8WLW-R).

Any local hamgoons (Cleveland area) wanna QSO on one of the repeaters and chat it up this afternoon?

I don't have Echolink working properly right now (mic in is broken on my Winbox and I've never had luck with the Mac and Linux clients), but I'll try to get through on KB8WLW since I seem to be on the fringe of it's coverage area with my HT here in Medina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW
I'm at the repeater site and available on EchoLink for a little while; I'll try connecting to the repeaters that Phuzion posted.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

What are your opinions on Universal Radio? This is my second time ordering something from them and finding out that it is on back order.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I bought my Icom R3 scanner from them something like 7 years ago. Didn't have a problem with them though my bank called me the next day to ask if I just spent $400 at a universal radio website. Heh.

There's an echolink node that I don't think anyone around here ever uses. 332794

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

LtDan posted:

What are your opinions on Universal Radio? This is my second time ordering something from them and finding out that it is on back order.

I always found gigaparts to be a little cheaper, and their service is just wonderful.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 28, 2019

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

Jose Pointero posted:

I always call my orders in with those guys to be sure they actually have the thing I want in stock or not. I've also noticed that my stuff ships out like twice as fast if I call it in.

Same. I've never had any problems with them, and they are usually cheaper than HRO in my experience.

In other news, I tried out those echolink nodes phuzion posted and didn't get anyone :argh:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
There were some greybeards on during rush hour. I was listening in, but I wasn't being chatty.

I have yet to make my first contact. I don't think I can relate to these greybeards and their arthritis and computer problems. I'd much rather chat with a goon.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

xergm posted:

There were some greybeards on during rush hour. I was listening in, but I wasn't being chatty.

I have yet to make my first contact. I don't think I can relate to these greybeards and their arthritis and computer problems. I'd much rather chat with a goon.

I was going to try and get with another goon in a few days when my rig shows up in the mail to have a Goon for my first HF contact, but it looks like the poo poo hit the fan here and I've got 2 weeks to get everything here packed up and be on my way to MO. I'm not going to have time to get an antenna built and test the rig until I get settled in the new place.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

xergm posted:

If you were listening at about 3:45 or so, you might have heard me chatting it up with Fred (KB8JCV). He's a trip. When you exchange calls with him for the first time, he uses the mnemonic "Just chewin' venison" for the second half of his call, rather than the traditional "Juliet Charlie Victor". Nice guy to talk to, but has a tendency to be a little long winded.

By the way, sorry to anyone that tried KB8WLW or W8UPD's echolink this afternoon, I was outside of the range of both after about 4:00PM today. Tomorrow I'll try driving around and see if I can stick around the area.

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

Phuzion posted:

If you were listening at about 3:45 or so, you might have heard me chatting it up with Fred (KB8JCV). He's a trip. When you exchange calls with him for the first time, he uses the mnemonic "Just chewin' venison" for the second half of his call, rather than the traditional "Juliet Charlie Victor". Nice guy to talk to, but has a tendency to be a little long winded.

By the way, sorry to anyone that tried KB8WLW or W8UPD's echolink this afternoon, I was outside of the range of both after about 4:00PM today. Tomorrow I'll try driving around and see if I can stick around the area.

:argh: it was like 4:15 central time when I got over to the club radio room. I connected to both, threw out my callsign a few times, and listened for maybe 5 minutes each before giving up.

At that point I went over to 6.52 on the twin beam setup there and had loads of fun with the Brenham area (50-60 miles away, but I was ERPing like 725 watts) 6.52ers. Actually, I had more fun bullshitting with them than I've had on the radio in a long time. Their solution when a band opening brought in some Galveston-area stations: turn up the power to just cover the other guys up. It was awesome, and there was far more gutter talk and sexual innuendo (not at each other you pervs) than I'm used to on the hammy bands. I'm definitely going to have to go back and record some of the stuff they talk about.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
I'm about to go putz around Akron, and chill around the range of the W8UPD repeater if anyone wants to jump on. Expect me to be in range in about 20 minutes or so.

Again, the node number for W8UPD is 233315.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Phuzion posted:

I'm about to go putz around Akron, and chill around the range of the W8UPD repeater if anyone wants to jump on. Expect me to be in range in about 20 minutes or so.

Again, the node number for W8UPD is 233315.

Just got the EchoLink box up and going. Turns out that the reason that EchoLink wasn't working for anyone was someone decided to turn the volume of the radio connected to the box all the way down, so anything coming in from EchoLink to our repeater would work, but anything from our repeater to EchoLink wouldn't go through.

The W8UPD EchoLink node is now back up and functional.

EDIT:

Just made a QSO with TNLTRPB over our respective EchoLink nodes. Anyone else bored as poo poo on a Friday night and wanna make a QSO?

Hell, anyone in the greater Cleveland/Akron area wanna try some 10 meter QSOs?

Phuzion fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 17, 2010

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW
Just had a QSO with Phuzion on my echolink node

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I have problems connecting to Node 233315. It keeps timing out.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 28, 2019

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Well, my radio showed up today in the middle of the packing scramble. The eBay ad said the radio was only used on 11 meters for about 5 hours total and then put in storage. Given the age and how CBers usually treat their equipment, I was expecting to have a little work to do. With the exception of some dust, this thing looks like it just came off the assembly line. The tubes don't have any wear on them at all and are green stripe Toshibas, whether they're original or replacement they're OEM spec.

Please excuse the blurry pics, I was using my cell phone and I'm shakier than Michael J. Fox on a bed with magic fingers.

Click for big

Click for big

Click for big

Click for big

Makes me wish I had time to get an antenna up and see what happens when this sucker gets fired up and on the air. Once I get to MO and get settled in, I'll have to tune this bitch up and see if I can get some Goon contacts.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

TNLTRPB posted:

Same. I've never had any problems with them, and they are usually cheaper than HRO in my experience.

HRO's benefit for me is that there's one 45 minutes away in a state with no sales tax, and staffed with people who have no problem telling you "nah, that product's crap. I mean, I'll sell it to you if you really want it, but I don't think you'll be happy with it."

tonynaia
Dec 31, 2004

fordan posted:

HRO's benefit for me is that there's one 45 minutes away in a state with no sales tax, and staffed with people who have no problem telling you "nah, that product's crap. I mean, I'll sell it to you if you really want it, but I don't think you'll be happy with it."

Ah yes, the HRO in New Castle, Delaware. The staff there is awesome. I've stopped there twice while on my travels down the east coast, and they have always had great advice. Last time I was there they helped me find a good dual band antenna for my car.

Now I just have to find an affordable dual band radio. All I have is my 7w 2m HT. Any suggestions for the poor college goon that lives in NJ?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I have an HRO store about 25 minutes from me. Does HRO carry used equipment, and if so, what is the price/selection typically like?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

tonynaia posted:

Now I just have to find an affordable dual band radio. All I have is my 7w 2m HT. Any suggestions for the poor college goon that lives in NJ?

I have a Yaesu FT-60R for 2m/70cm that works the area repeaters just fine. I'm in the middle of Freehold Boro and can hit the Freehold W2NJR repeater in my house with full quieting at low power, and can hit the JSARS Toms River repeater at full power in the backyard. Universal Radio has them for just under $200.

tonynaia
Dec 31, 2004

I really like the 7900R. I want something that I can mount in the car permanently, so this seems like it'll fit the bill. Now to keep my eyes open for a used one or something.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I love my 7800R. For a cheap mobile dualbander it's pretty slick. The menu system isn't the greatest but it's a ham radio so that kinda comes with the turf.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Getting started on building my first piece of homebrew equipment: a morse keyer! I'm not about to spend 150 bucks on an ornate piece of idiocy when a morse key is the most basic electronic device on the planet.

This is still a work in progress. I'm just figuring out the overall design, and have yet to incorporate the wiring and electrical contacts. Once I have a final blueprint, I'm going to order a full set of the needed parts from bricklink in a uniform dark gray color so that I don't drain my stock of LEGO Technic components and large base bricks.

Click here for the full 783x630 image.

Click here for the full 936x515 image.

Click here for the full 810x589 image.

Click here for the full 781x579 image.

Click here for the full 969x722 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

AstroZamboni posted:

Getting started on building my first piece of homebrew equipment: a morse keyer! I'm not about to spend 150 bucks on an ornate piece of idiocy when a morse key is the most basic electronic device on the planet.

This is still a work in progress. I'm just figuring out the overall design, and have yet to incorporate the wiring and electrical contacts. Once I have a final blueprint, I'm going to order a full set of the needed parts from bricklink in a uniform dark gray color so that I don't drain my stock of LEGO Technic components and large base bricks.

Click here for the full 783x630 image.

Click here for the full 936x515 image.

Click here for the full 810x589 image.

Click here for the full 781x579 image.

Click here for the full 969x722 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I can't think of any reason why Legos and Morse Code shouldn't go together, it's a engineers wet dream. Hopefully it works out for you.

Also good luck on the general exam. If I pulled it off with no radio experience, there's no reason why anyone couldn't do it. All I have to worry about is the Extra exam which I'm planning on taking in July.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This rules. Please keep us updated about its design changes and how well it works for you.

Edit: I'll be going for my General in May. With the practice exams at QRZ.com, it really just comes down to memorization.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 28, 2019

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm adjusting the design slightly. I'm going to use longer Technic shock absorbers and glue the contact points directly into them. I'm using MLCAD (Mike's LEGO CAD) to keep track of the blueprint as it changes.

Hmmmm.... maybe if it works well, I could get the needed parts in bulk on Bricklink and sell finished ones at a markup...

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Jose Pointero wins on :smug:, while AstroZamboni wins on :smugdog:.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AstroZamboni posted:

Hmmmm.... maybe if it works well, I could get the needed parts in bulk on Bricklink and sell finished ones at a markup...

Better yet, package them up and sell them as kits with a drawn picture instruction sheet.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If you just want a cheapass one to play around with, MFJ makes one for like $15.
http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZMF-550

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Grilldos posted:

This rules. Please keep us updated about its design changes and how well it works for you.

Edit: I'll be going for my General in May. With the practice exams at QRZ.com, it really just comes down to memorization.

My plan as well, depending on how much free time I have I might study for the Extra too.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Finished! I'll upload pics tomorrow, as the batteries for my camera are charging. I also have a MLCAD blueprint for the LEGO components.

I abandoned the plan of incorporating the contacts into the Technic shock absorbers themselves as they would have been a little too flimsy. I ultimately used screws and nuts that interfaced pretty seamlessly with the Technic pieces for the contact points.

Also, how long after the exam does one typically have to wait before receiving the license?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 19, 2010

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AstroZamboni posted:

Also, how long after the exam does one typically have to wait before receiving the license?

It usually takes around 2 weeks for your call sign to hit the FCC database. Once your call sign is up, you can transmit.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

NYIslander posted:

All I have to worry about is the Extra exam which I'm planning on taking in July.

LtDan posted:

My plan as well, depending on how much free time I have I might study for the Extra too.
ffffffff you guys are gonna make me take the Extra, too, aren't you?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 28, 2019

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
I'm gonna study the gently caress up and get me my General. And Extra.

I'd like to take my test for General before Dayton, as I would like to be able to say "Pssh, I got my Extra at Dayton, bitchezzzzzz" and whatnot, but I might just test for both down there.

Think I've got enough time to study for General and Extra come Dayton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
One of these days I'll get Extra, something I've been saying for about 8 years! I got my Tech junior year of high school, then 4 months later upgraded to General. I did it properly too since I had to learn morse code, nah nah! It didn't take me long to loose my morse code skills, use it or loose it and I lost it. Thank goodness computers can do my work!