Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Kzuri posted:

I have a lovely netbook with like 800mhz atom cpu, 2gb ram and vista, will deus ex play on it?

I've been playing on my first generation Aspire One running XP with 1.5gb ram, and the game runs flawlessly on high settings for me. Just thought I'd throw that out there since some people are thinking it wouldn't run well. Unreal Tournament also runs perfectly, so maybe that engine just works well on notebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Tanith posted:

Are there any compelling reasons to use the shotgun over any of the other weapons, the overly plentiful ammunition notwithstanding?

Not really. You get plenty of ammo for the assault rifle and thats much better IMO. Now if your playing shifter and are using the Jackhammer special shotgun then its a different story. That thing just straight up shreds everything in its path.

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma
It's incredible how elaborate the story of this game is. After I had completed the first mission in the statue of liberty, I went down to the holding cells to check out one of those agent guys interrogate a NSF prisoner. I never got to leave because they kept on talking, and it wasn't just mindless blabber, it was stuff I felt had to listen to.

It brings a tear to my eye that games like this isnt made anymore. And by 'like this' I mean games that are not dumbed down in order to fit 'mainstream' gaming

example
Deus Ex vs Deus 2
Systemshock 2 vs Bioshock
Bioshock vs Bioshcok 2
and so on........

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Tanith posted:

Are there any compelling reasons to use the shotgun over any of the other weapons, the overly plentiful ammunition notwithstanding?

20mm HE is significantly rarer than 12 gauge Sabot ammunition. Sabot ammunition is pretty nice, seeing that you can use it to destroy cameras and turrets without using a rocket, although GEP rounds are common. 12 gauge buckshot is okay against people, and it's common.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

BlackCircle posted:

I save on lock picks by using the GEP gun :smug:

I once managed to open three doors and three drawers with one GEP rocket :smug:

This was done by shooting an MIB and causing a chain reaction.

Tanith posted:

The pump-action shotgun is not a very useful weapon, but a fully upgraded one can blow a camera in 2-3 shots and a good close-quarter gun. The Autoshotgun is a waste of space compared to the submachine gun, but still a good weapon.

There's also a different pump-actions shotgun in Jock's apartment (in Hong Kong) called the "boom stick". It deals more damage and it has more recoil.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 19, 2010

Zalb
Oct 12, 2009

Who do you think you ARE?
The greatest poster to ever grace the internet with your PRESENCE?!

MJ12 posted:

20mm HE is significantly rarer than 12 gauge Sabot ammunition. Sabot ammunition is pretty nice, seeing that you can use it to destroy cameras and turrets without using a rocket, although GEP rounds are common. 12 gauge buckshot is okay against people, and it's common.

I mainly used it to take down the spiders, it was pretty good at that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Have any of you tried going through it using the complete opposite playing style to the one you prefer? I tried playing it as Quake guy once, but it just felt so wrong, so I just reloaded and went through as a stealth character again.

I played through on Unrealistic a few days ago, and now I'm going through using none of the weapons I had at the end of the game. So no autoshotgun, railgun, machine gun, pistol, stealth pistol or dragon's tooth.

And normally I play it stealth, but sometimes yeah I go completely buggo

Shumagorath posted:

Once I realized how deep the conspiracy went I had a problem killing anyone who didn't directly and knowingly work for MJ-12.

I've played it through killing only people who worked directly for MJ12 (troopers, commandos, MiBs, etc). Everyone else got stunned or ignored.

Le Sean posted:

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I almost feel like you have to go melee as one of your skills, since is never enough ammo if you want to stick to a certain branch

Disagree. Also you don't need to boost melee if you're using either the Dragon's Tooth or the Crowbar - in the former case because it minces everything already, and in the latter because if you hit them in the head they're stunned and you can take them down with a second blow easily.

uncleKitchener posted:

There's also a different pump-actions shotgun in Jock's apartment (in Hong Kong) called the "boom stick". It deals more damage and it has more recoil.

That's a Shifter thing. There's unique versions of all the weapons, including a Perfect Dark Farsight-style Railgun for the Plasma Gun.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Tanith posted:

An Assault Shotgun with a high rifles skill and a couple of mods shoved in it becomes a quite effective weapon. When you increase the shotgun's accuracy, it decreases the spread of the shot, and increasing its killing power. With master-level rifles skill, an assault shotgun can blow through MiBs and Commandos faster than the submachine gun.

And, of course, if you're a Shifter user, there's the Jackhammer and Dragon's Breath shells.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Now that I know how to cloak both to visuals and radar, I am thinking of playing again (!!!)!

I'm thinking of doing melee/sniper/grenades/lockpick run. Is there any benefit to not putting a few points into lockpick/electronics/computer at all?--it seems like having those trained a bit is both easy and required for living The Good Life in this game.

Then again, I guess it doesn't matter since shifter really throws a lot of points at you--by a bit over the half-way mark you can come close to maxing out the skills you use anyway, which is sort of fun, since you don't have to wait until the very last levels to be at your full potential (and further still, the game at realistic remains a realistic threat).

Maybe I'll try a limited-kills run, but the crossbow does not strike me as sexy in the least. In fact, it is pretty old-and-busted.

Does anyone know of a list of unique item locations + abilities in shifter? Perhaps my Googlefu is weak, but each and every search turns up dead ends or incomplete information. Also, any sexy mod recommendations would be appreciated. I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!

Le Sean fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 19, 2010

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Real men play DX multiplayer with everyone given infinite bioelectric energy. You might be good at your deathmatches and your team fortresses, but can you win when everyone is invisible?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Le Sean posted:

Maybe I'll try a limited-kills run, but the crossbow does not strike me as sexy in the least. In fact, it is pretty old-and-busted.

Really? I've always thought the crossbow was pimp as hell. It's like the coolest gadget you can have. Plus, it's always interesting to watch your enemy run away and wonder how far they'll get before they crash, and it's really cool that if they see you, their adrenaline will keep them awake for just a few more seconds than they would have been otherwise.

Plus, don't tell me that out of all the ways to be an rear end in a top hat in this game, the combo of taking a guard down with the crossbow, then putting a bullet into his head with the stealth pistol for pretty much no reason other than "because JC is one cold motherfucker" isn't the absolute height of being an rear end in a top hat, which is pretty much what this game is all about.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 19, 2010

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Le Sean posted:

Now that I know how to cloak both to visuals and radar, I am thinking of playing again (!!!)!

Since you're using Shifter, you don't have to mess around with keeping a slot open. Once you've installed augs to every slot in a given category, Shifter will let you try to install another aug to that category, then prompt you to choose an existing aug to overwrite. Even better, the upgrade level is maintained, so you can run through the first half-or so of the game with whatever aug you're intending to replace, even upgrading it, and you'll come out even in the end.

Le Sean posted:

Crossbows are awesome, if only for that fact that flare darts set people on fire in Shifter. Tougher enemies can survive a single flare dart, so you can light them up and then finish them with tranq darts if you want to stay nonlethal.

Le Sean posted:

Does anyone know of a list of unique item locations + abilities in shifter? Perhaps my Googlefu is weak, but each and every search turns up dead ends or incomplete information. Also, any sexy mod recommendations would be appreciated. I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!

The author of Shifter is surprisingly tight-lipped about the locations and exact properties of the weapons he adds. I know a couple of them, though.

Blackjack: Unique Baton. If you stay nonlethal up until you hit Hell's Kitchen then it'll show up in Paul's apartment. It does drastically boosted damage (I think around 14) and the only downside is that it can't be thrown.

Toxin Blade: Unique Combat Knife. Underneath Smuggler's pillow. It's essentially identical to the weapon of the same name in Invisible War, inflicting a "stun" effect on each blow, allowing you to easily stab lone enemies to death without fear of retaliation.

Magnum: Unique Pistol. It's on the back of Lebedev's bed. It does more damage but makes more noise. Mysteriously, it still uses 10mm ammo.

Lo Bruto: Unique Stealth Pistol. Carried (and used) by Jojo Fine. It's stats are a little tweaked around from the base stealth pistol. In particular, I believe that it does more damage but has a smaller magazine capacity and more recoil. Makes for an excellent sniper pistol.

Prototype Nanoswords: Unique swords. MkI only accessed through console (I believe). MkII on corpse of Versalife employee in collapsed Canal Road tunnel. MkIII on the desk in Captain's Quarters of the Wall Cloud. MkII and MkIII behave largely like the Shifter's version of the Dragon's Tooth (with lower damage), but likely have other properties I'm not aware of.

Boomstick: Unique Sawed-Off Shotgun. Found in Jock's apartment. Big damage, big recoil, 'nuff said.

Jackhammer: Unique Assault Shotgun. Found in the security bot hatch in Smuggler's place the last time you can visit. Fires extremely rapidly (about 10 shots a second). Great if you like overkill.

Precision Rifle: Unique Sniper Rifle. Found in the shack on top of the skyscraper in Paris Jock drops you on. Fast firing and equipped with an infrared scope (which is incompatible with the targeting aug's expanded functionality). Beware: it can't shoot out cameras.

Railgun: Unique Plasma Rifle. Can be found in the arms dealer's house in Paris or carried by Simons in Area 51. Fires a coherent beam of plasma through walls and people. Comes equipped with a scope that lets you peer through solid objects (also incompatible with the targeting aug). It eats 4 units of plasma ammo per shot and has to be reloaded each time.

I-LAW: Unique GEP gun(?). Location unknown. Properties largely unknown. Fires special light rockets that can be picked off of the corpses of MJ12 commandos. Less damaging than the GEP gun, but ammo is everywhere.

Okay, maybe I know a few more than I thought. I should probably dedicate less brain-attic space to 10 year old video games.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Was looking around for cheat codes and modifiers to make the game interesting. Thanks for the 'fatness' stuff but I was wondering if there were other console commands for specific augs or anything.

I mean, I know I can change how high I can make my guy jump, just wondering what else is there?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Male Man posted:

Prototype Nanoswords

If I remember right, the Mk 1 can be found in the Versalife lab (not sure how to describe it, the big room where the MiBs and WiBs are patrolling). It's in one of the locked cabinets.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
You people? Gods amongst AI.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
There's also one of the prototype nanoswords atop the shipping crate that has the rear-entrance to Smuggler's place. Only there after you grab the Dragon Tooth or whatever the gently caress. I've taken to just calling it the Motherfucker. The prototype sword does more damage than the DT, but it shorts out from time to time, making it do less damage than a baton. :downs:

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Le Sean posted:

You people? Gods amongst AI.

BOB PAGE
Or better than GameFAQs. Goons.

Mudlark posted:

There's also one of the prototype nanoswords atop the shipping crate that has the rear-entrance to Smuggler's place. Only there after you grab the Dragon Tooth or whatever the gently caress. I've taken to just calling it the Motherfucker. The prototype sword does more damage than the DT, but it shorts out from time to time, making it do less damage than a baton. :downs:
That's a Mk 1, unless one of the other swords does the same thing. (I never found all of them)

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Male Man posted:

I-LAW: Unique GEP gun(?). Location unknown. Properties largely unknown. Fires special light rockets that can be picked off of the corpses of MJ12 commandos. Less damaging than the GEP gun, but ammo is everywhere.

(I-LAW)

It's in the MJ12 underground base when you go to meet Paul after his killswitch has been engaged. It's behind a rock which blocks off the route to the lab thing they had Smuggler's friend in. Much better for opening locked things, because it's less explosive than a GEP gun, ammo is slightly more plentiful, and you can move around like you're carrying a shotgun.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

chimz posted:

(I-LAW)

It's in the MJ12 underground base when you go to meet Paul after his killswitch has been engaged. It's behind a rock which blocks off the route to the lab thing they had Smuggler's friend in. Much better for opening locked things, because it's less explosive than a GEP gun, ammo is slightly more plentiful, and you can move around like you're carrying a shotgun.

I thought it didn't show up til you came back after Hong Kong to find Dowd.

Also the MiB in the MJ12 base under UNATCO, the one near the greasel cages, has a Mk1 Nanosword, but you need to tranq him to get it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Also the MiB in the MJ12 base under UNATCO, the one near the greasel cages, has a Mk1 Nanosword, but you need to tranq him to get it.

Open the cages. Also good for getting the nano-key off him.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 19, 2010

Zalb
Oct 12, 2009

Hey, I'm curious if there's any way to save Jock
JC's reaction to theshifty engineer and the corpse lying in plain sight was surprisingly passive.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Zalb posted:

JC's reaction to theshifty engineer and the corpse lying in plain sight was surprisingly passive.

Simple: kill the shifty engineer.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

HoldYourFire posted:

Simple: kill the shifty engineer.

Yes, this. Doing so changes the ensuing conversation so that JC warns Jock to check his systems, and Jock finds the bomb and disarms it. You also get to listen to some of the most famously terrible voice acting in the entire game.

OH MY GOD JC

Zalb
Oct 12, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yes, this. Doing so changes the ensuing conversation so that JC warns Jock to check his systems, and Jock finds the bomb and disarms it. You also get to listen to some of the most famously terrible voice acting in the entire game.

OH MY GOD JC

So it was that obvious. In hindsight it was completely idiotic to set a bomb that doesn't explode till after someone has wrecked your poo poo and sent a missile to your house

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Zero Star posted:

On the other hand, if you avoid walking in on her, she sells you some Scrambler grenades in the UNATCO kitchen, after you escape from the MJ12 base.

Haha I bought Deus Ex on Steam when they had the big sale a few weeks ago since I lost my original disc. After I didn't go in the ladies room and she tried to sell me the grenades I realized that it took me 3 or 4 playthroughs of the game before I didn't intentionally go in the ladies bathroom.

Tiggs posted:

I originally installed/beat Deus Ex ten years ago on a 450mhz AMD K6-2 with 64 megs of ram and a Voodoo 3 3000. I think you'll live

Are you...me?

My favorite gimmick on playthroughs is when you go to the NSF headquarters you riot prod every UNATCO trooper in the base without being seen before you even transmit the message. Then you send the message, Simmons tells you that the troops are ordered to kill you and you just run and fly off the roof completely scott-free.

For some reason, it seems like every other time I play I meet Smuggler at the right time to rescue his friend, other times I can't find the password until the next time I get to NYC. Even though I just beat this game and put 20 hours into it I'm going to download Shifter and play it as soon as my schedule frees up.

Stump Truck fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 19, 2010

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I never realised Jock could die! Guess watching the A BOMB video on youtube tipped me off...

Am I the only one who thought they'd saved Paul but then he ended up dying anyway? I frantically threw LAMs at the door so the MiBs blew up themselves and the ambush squad, then I left via the window and later got informed by Gunther that he was dead. I didn't realise there were more troopers in the hotel.

OregonDonor posted:

So, is there a good wiki or list of secret areas/easter eggs anywhere online? I've turned up nothing so far. I know it's completely counter-intuitive to the game, but there are a couple things I'd like to know more about.

Also, seconding the loving Light Saber.

This reminds me, someone mentioned a sunken cargo ship around Liberty Island - what's that about?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

AXE COP posted:

This reminds me, someone mentioned a sunken cargo ship around Liberty Island - what's that about?
Off the dock where you meet Harry Filben, at the bottom of the water. Its hatch is locked, and inside are some weapon mods and a sawn off shotgun.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

AXE COP posted:

Am I the only one who thought they'd saved Paul but then he ended up dying anyway? I frantically threw LAMs at the door so the MiBs blew up themselves and the ambush squad, then I left via the window and later got informed by Gunther that he was dead. I didn't realise there were more troopers in the hotel.
Yeah this happened to me as well. Then I got a bugged save at the Versalife center and had to cheat my way back there. This reset every decision so that Paul was alive again and sitting in Tracer Tong's. It was pretty confusing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AXE COP posted:

I never realised Jock could die! Guess watching the A BOMB video on youtube tipped me off...

It's more that the window is all that matters. I think you can kill everyone and leave by the window and he still dies.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
The default controls for Deus Ex are very dated by now, but one thing I've always loved about them is the way quicksave and quickload are mapped to + and - on the num pad. It just feels so natural. Any game I now play that has quicksaving, the first thing I do is find the keyboard map settings and change quicksave and quickload to those keys.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Whenever I use the LAW I like to say "You fought the LAW... and the LAW won." :cool:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Paul is invincible when the MiBs raid his apartment, so I always just hide in the closet until he kills them all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What happens if you use the invisibility to stealth out the front door before Paul is finished killing them all?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Brannock posted:

What happens if you use the invisibility to stealth out the front door before Paul is finished killing them all?

As long as you don't trigger the go-out-of-window script, Paul lives.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stump Truck posted:

My favorite gimmick on playthroughs is when you go to the NSF headquarters you riot prod every UNATCO trooper in the base without being seen before you even transmit the message. Then you send the message, Simmons tells you that the troops are ordered to kill you and you just run and fly off the roof completely scott-free.

If you take care of all of them, what he says changes. "You win this round"

Stump Truck posted:

For some reason, it seems like every other time I play I meet Smuggler at the right time to rescue his friend, other times I can't find the password until the next time I get to NYC. Even though I just beat this game and put 20 hours into it I'm going to download Shifter and play it as soon as my schedule frees up.

Kill/get rid of the guy harassing Sandra Renton in a back alley, talk to her and she tells you the password.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Brannock posted:

Whenever I use the LAW I like to say "You fought the LAW... and the LAW won." :cool:

This is an important part of the game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Man, playing through this game again has triggered so many memories of me playing it back when it first came out.

Also, I'm finally starting to understand why I've become so dissatisfied with games that came out after it. I always find myself saying "this game would be better/great if" and I'm coming to realize I'm usually just subconsciously wishing for the game to have some feature that Deus Ex had. Replaying it is definitely giving me a very weird kind of full-circle feeling.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Brannock posted:

Sorry but nothing can ever come remotely close to the sheer :cool: of "sticks and stones."

Also, Gunter gradually going totally batfuck after you kill Navarre is one of the coolest secondary plot arcs of any game. When I was first playing through the level in which you fight him in the cathedral, his insane rambling about Navarre and how he'd make Denton pay actually managed to be genuinely disturbing, since it was slowly dawning on me just how loving crazy he'd gone.

It's a bit hard to describe, but I'd really enjoyed chatting with the various characters and taken an interest in their motivations. I didn't feel bad about killing Navarre because she was a huge bitch and gave no fucks about due process, but I'd kind of liked Gunther's earnestness and clumsy attempts at being friendly after Liberty Island, and it was a little chilling to see him degenerate so severely.

e: oh, and I wouldn't shoot any of the UNATCO troopers after the big NSF switch because they were always really nice to me. Especially that guy at the desk - I hit him with the stun prod and ran past during the escape because I didn't want to injure him. Poor guy, getting tased by his academy buddy :(

vvv I had no idea you could do this. The concept of a solution that didn't involve immediate murder was beyond me. vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 19, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zalb posted:

When you get to the helipad talk to the shifty mechanic a few times, then go all the way back and talk to Everett (who says he doesn't know the mechanic), then talk to the engineer again and call his bluff. He should attack you or flee and then after killing him you can warn Jock about A BOMB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

When you get to the helipad talk to the shifty mechanic a few times, then go all the way back and talk to Everett (who says he doesn't know the mechanic), then talk to the engineer again and call his bluff. He should attack you or flee and then after killing him you can warn Jock about A BOMB.

Or you can just do what I did and beat that dude to death with a baton.