Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

[list]
[*] the 2002 sedan: Looks nice, is probably nice, make sure the head gasket has been done. IIRC, 2002 was the first year of the 2.5L engines and they had a batch of bad head gaskets which lead to cooling problems and general nastiness. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, check out the Subaru Head Gasket site. If the head gaskets haven't been done, you should definitely have them looked at and replaced.

If you're looking for a Subaru that is just staggeringly cheap to own and run, you may want to consider a late 90s Impreza wagon with the 2.2L engine. They are rock solid, cost almost nothing to insure and are still easy to work on.

The first bit is off in that the 2.5L is from 97 or 98 so the early headgasket problems are more from late 90s cars. A 2002 2.5L shouldn't have that problem as its a phase II engine.

I will agree with this second comment. A Subaru with the 2.2L is a really good car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Zsbaug24 posted:

The first bit is off in that the 2.5L is from 97 or 98 so the early headgasket problems are more from late 90s cars. A 2002 2.5L shouldn't have that problem as its a phase II engine.

I will agree with this second comment. A Subaru with the 2.2L is a really good car.
I have seen Phase II SOHC EJ25s with replaced head gaskets in at least one '02 OBS and an '03 Outback. But yes, if you're looking at a 97-98 2.5L the head gaskets are definitely in the risk zone. It's not a huge deal, but you should make sure the previous owner knows about the problem and has taken steps to correct it (or at least knows what to look for).

8ender might have more insight into other problems of NA 2.5s, considering his 02 2.5TS has been somewhat of a troublemaker for him.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2010

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
You will see head gasket failures in the 2.5 engines up to around 2003, it's only a matter of time before they fail (I owned a 2002).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The early Phase II engines will have head gasket problems but its an external leak usually, not into the oil. That said my engine leaked externally and now I think it has rod knock so maybe some of that coolant snuck in. :(

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

2002 owner. Blew my HG. It's all the way to 03.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Before I forget, the other thing is that you should make sure they did the head gaskets on both sides of the engine. I saw one Legacy L (which was skeezy in its own right) which had only one head gasket done.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
We'll be checking out a 2006 Baja (non turbo) later this week, and we don't know what kind of shape it's in right now. It'll be a dealer trade-in, so they don't have it yet. Is there anything we'll need to be looking for specifically when we do check it out?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Can anyone fill me in a little on getting the driver's side front driveshaft out of my 2000 Outback? The pinch nut that my Haynes manual says to remove doesn't seem like it wants to go anywhere (without shearing off or something), so my buddy who is helping me out suggested taking off the nut underneath the control arm and popping it off that way, which we did, but we can't get the control arm and steering knuckle apart now, no matter what we try. Do we HAVE to get that pinch nut off to get it apart?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
big hammers/crowbar/penetrating lubricant. You can pry the knuckle apart slightly as well but need to be careful not to break the upright. I changed my axles recently and it took a lot of work to get the ball joints out of the uprights. Also I need new balljoints now.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

jamal posted:

big hammers/crowbar/penetrating lubricant. You can pry the knuckle apart slightly as well but need to be careful not to break the upright. I changed my axles recently and it took a lot of work to get the ball joints out of the uprights. Also I need new balljoints now.

But we should be able to do it by just taking the bottom nut off? Not the pinch nut? Because we already sheared a bolt in the caliper bracket and I am not looking forward to doing it again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yes but getting the balljoint out of the control arm is frequently even more of a pain in the rear end. Especially if you're trying not to destroy the balljoint.

You don't want to go overboard with a torch either:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1967810

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Now that I know that I'm totally gonna try to explode a ball joint.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

8ender posted:

The early Phase II engines will have head gasket problems but its an external leak usually, not into the oil. That said my engine leaked externally and now I think it has rod knock so maybe some of that coolant snuck in. :(

Just wanted to chime in to say that I bought this project.

I look forward to begging this thread for help.:worship:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

pbpancho posted:

Can anyone fill me in a little on getting the driver's side front driveshaft out of my 2000 Outback? The pinch nut that my Haynes manual says to remove doesn't seem like it wants to go anywhere (without shearing off or something), so my buddy who is helping me out suggested taking off the nut underneath the control arm and popping it off that way, which we did, but we can't get the control arm and steering knuckle apart now, no matter what we try. Do we HAVE to get that pinch nut off to get it apart?

Oh god, this brings back some horrible memories. I tried to do both front axles in my '00 outback I had three years ago. One of them finally came out after I hit it with a big enough hammer, but I ended up putting the other side back together and taking it to a cheap shop to replace the other side.

I own three sizes and severities of pickle forks thanks to that little adventure.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I'm going to order parts to do the timing service on my 95 impreza L 1.8 wagon.
What parts do I need to order? If the belt is in good shape can I just replace the tensioner? What about the pulleys?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I got behind a Subaru SVX in the middle of nowhere, NC on my way home from work today. I had never even heard of one, and apparently there's a reason. Supposedly only 14,000 were imported to the US? That just made me want one more. Ill-suited brakes be damned!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PabloBOOM posted:

I got behind a Subaru SVX in the middle of nowhere, NC on my way home from work today. I had never even heard of one, and apparently there's a reason. Supposedly only 14,000 were imported to the US? That just made me want one more. Ill-suited brakes be damned!
I want one something fierce. They keep popping up on local autotrader and craigslist, but I fear that I would end up buying one out from under slidebite and have to live the rest of my life in mortal fear.

Plus, I have nowhere to store one and I don't think I could run it as a daily driver nor sporty car.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I love the SVX; but, they will be a money pit.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Money pit AND a death trap! And yet... I need one. It's like the clunky great uncle of the WRX that smells bad and nobody wants to hug at reunions.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Thanks for the help Seat Safety. I'm stuck in Kuwait for another month or two, so I'll just read up on them online for now. Any other online resources worth reading before buying?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Just in case any of you are as nerdy as I am, here's a link to papercraft Subarus.

http://www.saturn.dti.ne.jp/~eastern/pcraft/index.html

They have the WRC-trim cars from 2004-2006, in some ridiculous detail, and it's all free.

GO, CREATE

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

c355n4 posted:

I love the SVX; but, they will be a money pit.

I have two. The first one has cost me more in less than 1.5 years of ownership than my BMW 840 has cost me in almost 4. That said, the BMW was cared for and maintained, while the PO of my SVX neglected the poo poo out of it and ran it into the ground before I got it. I just picked up my second SVX a few months ago, haven't done anything with it yet though.

If you get one, don't get a neglected / cheap one like I did. You can find a car with a blown transmission in otherwise excellent shape for <$1k if you look around.

Biggest common trouble spots - TRANSMISSION, drippy cam / crank seals, wheel bearings, TRANSMISSION, droopy sun visors, TRANSMISSION.

Oh, don't buy one with a cracked windshield either, especially if it has the bronze glass - black (edit: with tan interior) and claret, I think? New windshields are very hard to find and expensive as hell.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 17, 2010

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just Another XY posted:

Just in case any of you are as nerdy as I am, here's a link to papercraft Subarus.

http://www.saturn.dti.ne.jp/~eastern/pcraft/index.html

They have the WRC-trim cars from 2004-2006, in some ridiculous detail, and it's all free.

GO, CREATE

This is amazing, and just as I was thinking about getting back into some papercraft to fill time.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Why do so many people run rotas? I'm considering looking into getting a summer wheelset and it seems like heavy rotas are really popular. is it just the price? I'm looking into 17x8.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I think it's just the price (that's my impression at least).

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Price and quality. Don't listen to people who tell you Rotas crack and are dangerous. I've never had a single issue and neither have my friends.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Ok, I got my driveshaft out but I have 2 quick questions for you Subaru gurus.

The driveshaft I removed had some sort of brass collar around the inner end, while the new one doesn't. It's not obvously removable from the old one. Do we need to pry it off and put it on the new shaft? Also, the pin that came with the new shaft to connect it to the piece that goes into the transmission (I think that's where it goes?) is longer than the old one, so it sticks out a bit, like in the photo below. Is that ok/normal or should be grind it off shorter?

The collar on the old shaft:

The pin on the new shaft:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

you shouldn't have taken it apart that way. drive the pin out, and pull the axle off. The stub should stay in the differential.

I think you'll be okay regardless. And no you don't need to grind it off.

That axle looks pretty crappy. The rings keep debris away from the axle seals. My $70 napa axles has the rings and seemed pretty nice when I put them in.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Does anyone know when dealers typically get pricing for next year's models? There are no more 2010 WRXs left in my area and my dealer doesn't have a price on the 2011. This car has been hilariously hard to find, unlike my 2002.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

blargle posted:

Does anyone know when dealers typically get pricing for next year's models? There are no more 2010 WRXs left in my area and my dealer doesn't have a price on the 2011. This car has been hilariously hard to find, unlike my 2002.

I think word was dealers were going to get pricing on the '11s on the 26th.

They aren't due till September though from what I've heard.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

blargle posted:

When I bought my 2010 in Texas a few months ago there were about 9 or 10 in the entire state.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ab0z posted:

I'm going to order parts to do the timing service on my 95 impreza L 1.8 wagon.
What parts do I need to order? If the belt is in good shape can I just replace the tensioner? What about the pulleys?

Well I just ordered a timing belt kit from autohausaz, along with valve cover gaskets, water pump and gaskets, thermostat, engine and transmission mounts, and tie rods. Hopefully once I do all that and figure out the slop in my shifter linkage, my car will be ready for the subaru cruise this weekend.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

the shifter slop is the bushings in the linkage right at the transmission. When I pulled mine out one of them had completely disintegrated. I replaced them with nylon bushings I turned myself and my shifter feels awesome now. Also I had to drill out the rivet and put in a bolt.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

jamal posted:

the shifter slop is the bushings in the linkage right at the transmission. When I pulled mine out one of them had completely disintegrated. I replaced them with nylon bushings I turned myself and my shifter feels awesome now. Also I had to drill out the rivet and put in a bolt.

thanks for the confirmation, I figured that little fucker was the issue. I'll have to see what I can do without a lathe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There are some bushing kits you can buy (Turn In Concepts' Holy Shift kit is the one I've decided upon - it's a collection of various other bushing kits thrown together in a bag).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah, the tic bushings work. I just wanted to save some money and bought a $2 bar of nylon.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Ok so I can buy those bushings for my 95?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not those particular ones, I think. I found some Kartboy bushings for a 98+ but I don't know if that's because they just didn't test on a pre-1998, or if there's a genuine change. You might want to ask on a GC/GF/GM forum and see what they're using.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_10_1496_1499_1509&products_id=357

Actually there are different bushings depending on year. the ones shown in that link wouldn't work on your 95 even if you could just get the bushings, because the linkage is larger and the bushings use a sleeve through the center. On your car it's just a rivet on one part and a bolt through the other, with no sleeve through the center.

Since that linkage doesn't work with the external return spring, you can't just buy the whole thing and upgrade.

Maybe I should make a few more sets of those nylon bushings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
What's the preferred oil on EJ255s? I have a half gallon or so of Rotella 5W40 and wondering if I should just stick with that or there's some BITOG consensus otherwise.