Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CaptainWinky posted:

One of the few character-killing things DXIW did right was late in the game where you meet the real NG Resonance and can kill her, then tell the NG AI about it. For just a few minutes I felt like Alex Denton had truly inherited JC's Supreme rear end in a top hat genes.
Tell me you have a link to a video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xander77 posted:

Dude. IW is marginally less stupid. Just admit it. "Thin excuse for not allowing you to kill crucial characters" is still better than "why, hello there, odd and incongruous god-mod on 90% of story relevant characters".

"Why wouldn't the faction just use their invincible agents to kill every grunt on the other side"?

it makes more literal sense at the cost of being much more jarring and immersion breaking

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xander77 posted:

Dude. IW is marginally less stupid.

If that were true, I might. But it's not. It "solves" a problem by being even more monumentally stupid than "it's a game and we said so deal with it :smug:"

e: IW is the game where you could actually kill people by throwing physics objects at them, so it was even stupider in that context.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 19, 2010

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Tell me you have a link to a video?

There used to be a video but I can't find it now. :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Please put this in OP:

Sound problems? Stuttering sound/choppy sound?
goto the deusex.ini and under
Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem
change the latency to 60

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thank you so much. My sound has been randomly going crazy and I had no idea what to do about it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Doctor Butts posted:

Please put this in OP:

Sound problems? Stuttering sound/choppy sound?
goto the deusex.ini and under
Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem
change the latency to 60

You are the best!

I was tempted to go do a couple DXIW videos showing the two or three things that the game did pretty well plot-wise (the ng resonance thing was up first) but then I thought about how drat long that game takes to load and I just went and fired up DX instead. I'm doing a crowbar/grenade psycho run; those hostages in Battery Park never had a chance.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD
I remember playing this game! I didn't really like the NYC levels or whatever that one was where there was a sewer and some SWAT team car or something 'cause I didn't like having to creep around all the time, and there was some other level on a roof or something that was boring, but I did try to get all the endings, I think! That was a cool level, I just saved right before the end, I don't really know if that's kosher or not, haha.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

7 y.o. bitch posted:

I remember playing this game! I didn't really like the NYC levels or whatever that one was where there was a sewer and some SWAT team car or something 'cause I didn't like having to creep around all the time, and there was some other level on a roof or something that was boring, but I did try to get all the endings, I think! That was a cool level, I just saved right before the end, I don't really know if that's kosher or not, haha.

Welcome to Games, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Brannock posted:

Welcome to Games, I hope you enjoy your stay.
Deus Ex is Art.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
My vision is augmented.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

7 y.o. bitch posted:

I don't really know if that's kosher or not, haha.

Did you have this course of action approved by a rabbi?

fakeedit: Pardon the interruption, my vision is augmented.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

7 y.o. bitch posted:

I don't really know if that's kosher or not, haha.

What a shame.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

7 y.o. bitch posted:

That was a cool level, I just saved right before the end, I don't really know if that's kosher or not, haha.

Are you sure you pressed the right button? Your hand might have slipped.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

You know, I bought blindly bought Deus Ex Invisible War when it came out but it ran like complete poo poo on my GeForce 5700LE so I put it on a shelf and didn't think about it. Then I got Deus Ex on Steam one day and played the gently caress out of it. Then one day I picked up IW and installed it, played through the intro, got distracted from it by other things and forgot about it again. I just installed it and I'm playing it through and I don't see why people hate it so much. I mean it's not up to par with the original, but its not that bad.

cmurphy50
Oct 9, 2009
All I gotta say is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tzs47o33A

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Stump Truck posted:

For some reason, it seems like every other time I play I meet Smuggler at the right time to rescue his friend, other times I can't find the password until the next time I get to NYC. Even though I just beat this game and put 20 hours into it I'm going to download Shifter and play it as soon as my schedule frees up.

There's a back way in to Smuggler's that doesn't require the password. I use it all the time, it's usually the first stop I make in Hell's Kitchen.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

cmurphy50 posted:

All I gotta say is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tzs47o33A
No, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56NjU5NC3k

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtJMdExpNw&feature=related

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
go help renton's daughter with the pimp and talk to her a few times for the password your first time in hell's kitchen

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

fleshweasel posted:

go help renton's daughter with the pimp and talk to her a few times for the password your first time in hell's kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBA8No2uDPs

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How would a mod let you keep working for UNATCO? You'd still need some excuse to shoot your way in to the levels in the later half of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How would a mod let you keep working for UNATCO? You'd still need some excuse to shoot your way in to the levels in the later half of the game.
Half of the places you fight in are under the control of other factions. Just change the enemies around a bit.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

That reminds me of what's definitely the best Deus Ex mod nobody seems to remember: Hotel Carone.
http://www.carone1.de/HotelCarone/
Its setup is that JC remains with UNATCO and is called in to deal with an unrelated terrorist incident. Carone also made a very handy add-on .u file for modders that allowed for fully functional elevators with multiple stops made easily (There's one of these in Deus Ex, near the end of the game, and it's a hack job, heavily worked around the default failings of DeusExMover using Mission Script and it can only visit 3 floors).

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Sam kind of hints at it, but UNATCO is an anti-terrorism and peace-keeping institution at its heart, it's just that it's been manipulated to serve as a tool for MJ12. I'm sure that most of the "bad" guys would be against turning a single man into a nigh-omnipotent dictator, especially when they find out they're being used. Conceivably you could twist the existing locations into a narrative of a sort of "civil war" where Paul outs MJ12's presence and UNATCO races to stop Page.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
I just remembered that I'd made this

What I think'd be neat in a 'stay with UNATCO/MJ12' type game would be the competition with Walton Simons, and eventual showdown while at the sub base, and Alex erases the logs when you dump his body into the ocean for the karkians to eat. What a shame.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
One of the things that was awesome about DX1 was the way it felt like stuff was happening in the game independently. So when Walton Simons is interrogating prisoners, it's going on regardless of whether or not you come by and watch.

Psion posted:

The same thing is hilariously bad in DXIW. "Oh sorry you're going into an area with plot critical characters.... Gonna need you to let us remotely disable your weapons, since there is no way a bioaugmented agent could ever kill anyone with their bare hands or anything. Yeah we promise to re-enable them later. Don't mind us."

Oh gently caress that was retarded. Every time you went into a plot area you got the same immersion breaking spiel. Plus the DX1 invincibility was hilarious when Paul turns into the angel of death in the ton hotel.

I think the best game for this was Fallout 3 where you can knock them unconscious if they have plot invincibility but can't kill them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The best game for that was Morrowind, which didn't give a poo poo if you killed storyline-critical characters but did helpfully warn you that you had probably made the main storyline impossible to complete. I can't help wondering why more games don't do that - it seems like it would be very easy to code, and it prevents immersion-breaking while also not letting the player unwittingly screw himself over. You could even have the save-game screen change to say "hey you can't win the game, you might want to save in another slot"

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 20, 2010

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Mathemagician posted:

I just remembered that I'd made this

Deus Ex Constipacy Game

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Astroturf Man posted:

One of the things that was awesome about DX1 was the way it felt like stuff was happening in the game independently. So when Walton Simons is interrogating prisoners, it's going on regardless of whether or not you come by and watch.

Oh gently caress that was retarded. Every time you went into a plot area you got the same immersion breaking spiel. Plus the DX1 invincibility was hilarious when Paul turns into the angel of death in the ton hotel.

I think the best game for this was Fallout 3 where you can knock them unconscious if they have plot invincibility but can't kill them.

I really hate Paul. Everytime he is like " Stick to the prod." or "Remember we´re police" and when he is attacked ,he turns into a mass murderer.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jetsetlemming posted:

That reminds me of what's definitely the best Deus Ex mod nobody seems to remember: Hotel Carone.
Its setup is that JC remains with UNATCO and is called in to deal with an unrelated terrorist incident. Carone also made a very handy add-on .u file for modders that allowed for fully functional elevators with multiple stops made easily (There's one of these in Deus Ex, near the end of the game, and it's a hack job, heavily worked around the default failings of DeusExMover using Mission Script and it can only visit 3 floors).

I remember that mod, it was pretty good.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sam kind of hints at it, but UNATCO is an anti-terrorism and peace-keeping institution at its heart, it's just that it's been manipulated to serve as a tool for MJ12. I'm sure that most of the "bad" guys would be against turning a single man into a nigh-omnipotent dictator, especially when they find out they're being used. Conceivably you could twist the existing locations into a narrative of a sort of "civil war" where Paul outs MJ12's presence and UNATCO races to stop Page.

The trouble is that Carter was wrong - UNATCO was not just manipulated to serve the conspirators, it was designed from the start to be the army of the New World Order. It's not just Manderley - most of the significant players in the organization take orders directly from MJ12, UNATCO inherits MJ12's clearances and protocol, etc. The two are joined at the hip, with the anti-terrorist stuff just providing convenient political cover. (In the intro, Bob Page suggests that UNATCO could be trouble for the conspiracy, but I think that's a red herring, because everything else shows that they're playing along perfectly.)

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Jetsetlemming posted:

I want to download this mod, but I'm a little afraid. A little while back I installed TNM, and when I tried to uninstall it, it ended up mostly breaking Deus Ex (which apparently recently fixed itself), and now I'm too wary to install any mods.

What a shame. :smith:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The best game for that was Morrowind, which didn't give a poo poo if you killed storyline-critical characters but did helpfully warn you that you had probably made the main storyline impossible to complete. I can't help wondering why more games don't do that - it seems like it would be very easy to code, and it prevents immersion-breaking while also not letting the player unwittingly screw himself over. You could even have the save-game screen change to say "hey you can't win the game, you might want to save in another slot"

This is the correct answer. The best way to handle plot sensitive characters is to allow you to kill them, but flash a warning on the screen alerting you that the game is now impossible to complete.

Apparently, the reason they didn't do this in Oblivion or Fallout 3 was because too many retards played Morrowind and just kind of hurf durfed past the screen after they killed a plot sensitive character, clicking OK before they even read the message. Then they had the nerve to complain about Bethesda "breaking their game." These were probably the same people who couldn't find Caius Cosades in Balmora.

Anyway, knocking enemies unconscious in Oblivion instead of being able to kill them flat out was basically just Bethesda's way of putting training wheels on their game.

Then again, this probably wouldn't translate too well into a relatively linear, level based game like Deus Ex. It worked in Morrowind because even if you messed up the plot, there was still an entire open world to chill in. Breaking the plot in Deus Ex would kind of just completely hault the player from being able to do anything else.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was hoping to play a mass murder run through of DE, but you can't kill any UNATCO troops inside of the bunker until you break out of the MJ12 facility.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Doctor Butts posted:

I was hoping to play a mass murder run through of DE, but you can't kill any UNATCO troops inside of the bunker until you break out of the MJ12 facility.

You are going to be happy as a clam in Hong Kong.

e: I think Paris lets you randomly kill a bunch of people too. You can also do it in Hell's Kitchen but I think you can eventually piss off someone unkillable depending on the part of the game you're in.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
God help me, I reinstalled invisible war. I've got to finish it this time. This will be at least the 5th attempt.

The only mod I want for the original DX is one that adds duke-style one liners for every occasion, including child murder.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

InterFaced posted:

God help me, I reinstalled invisible war. I've got to finish it this time. This will be at least the 5th attempt.

The only mod I want for the original DX is one that adds duke-style one liners for every occasion, including child murder.

JC already loving does this.

'I was never properly trained in its operation.'

And

Alex: 'They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.'
JC: 'Neither did I.'

Just picture a movie version of these two scenes. Denton reaches into coat, pulls out his mirror-shades, and slips them on while delivering his gravely monotone dialogue. :c00l:

Yeah.

Zalb
Oct 12, 2009

Who do you think you ARE?
The greatest poster to ever grace the internet with your PRESENCE?!

Mudlark posted:

JC already loving does this.

'I was never properly trained in its operation.'

And

Alex: 'They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.'
JC: 'Neither did I.'

Just picture a movie version of these two scenes. Denton reaches into coat, pulls out his mirror-shades, and slips them on while delivering his gravely monotone dialogue. :c00l:

Yeah.
JC Nukem doesn't deal in cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

InterFaced posted:

IW is essentially unplayable to me if I don't install this: http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/

You may also need this: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Invisible_War

And just a hint: while you're in the .ini files editing things, poke around a bit. You can just subtly change how much damage different guns do (basically enable headshots again), how they consume ammo and how much ammo you get from a dropped clip. I haven't done this in a while though, so I'd have to re-examine the files to tell you what to change. :(

edit: Oh, before I forget, you may want to grab "DXTool" from here: http://www.john-p.com/textures/DX-IW/utilities.html - it will let you make the fonts show up smaller, change the HUD size, show a targeting reticle, show or hide certain elements in the HUD, gamma and cache settings, where the Datalink updates show up and more.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 20, 2010