Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I bet I know the answer to this, and I bet it's the same as Ammanas.

My nifty new-to-me 2002 Ninja 250 sat all winter, and wouldn't start this spring. I don't remember if I posted here or in the "new to motorcycling" thread, but someone pointed me to the carbs.

I drained the carbs and filled them with Seafoam, and let it sit for a while (a recommendation that a friend uses on his cantankerous 250's carburetor). Drained that, drained the tank, and put in clean new gas. It started! Then creeped up to 7500rpm and sat. If I touched the choke to turn it off, it died. If I looked at the throttle with intent in my eyes, it died.
The next week, I started it up again. It crept up to 5000rpm, then down to <500, then back and forth. Same choke/throttle behavior. After a few minutes it slowed and died, and now won't start again.

I passed the MSF class this weekend and got my license, so I'm excited to get out there and practice! The bike still won't start, though. Not enough fuel getting to the engine? Was the racing engine coming from the residual Seafoam? Am I looking at having someone who knows what he's doing take apart my carbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
racing engine comes from the choke being open. you can try fiddling with the idle screw as ive been doing (to no avail). seafoam didnt help when i added 3/4 of a can to the gas tank and ran it/flogged it for a while, still runs at odd RPMs or wont stay running at all

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Your pilot jets are clogged.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_clean_the_carbs%3F

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Tsaven Nava posted:

Your pilot jets are clogged.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_clean_the_carbs%3F

you can see why i didnt want to clean the carbs. what a pain in the rear end
god i love my f4is fuel injection

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Somebody hit my parked motorcycle the other day while I was at work.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Got this puppy sitting in my bedroom...haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

:flashfap:

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Holy poo poo that rules, had to cost a bit of green though eh? Totally worth it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Cabledude posted:

That's got to be absolutely loving infuriating

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Cabledude posted:

drat, that sucks. I'm assuming the person who did it didn't leave a note; have you contacted your insurance yet? If you have comprehensive/collision they should cover the cost of a new fairing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

sectoidman posted:

drat, that sucks. I'm assuming the person who did it didn't leave a note; have you contacted your insurance yet? If you have comprehensive/collision they should cover the cost of a new fairing.

Alternatively, if you don't have that coverage, its not impossible to mix up a little ABS cement to join that back up. That sucks.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

-Inu- posted:

Got this puppy sitting in my bedroom...haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

:flashfap:

You going up a tooth up front or just staying stock? I think I'm going to 15/41 when I need to change my chain. It would be nice to not sit at 10k RPM for over an hour on my commute.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Methusulah posted:

Holy poo poo that rules, had to cost a bit of green though eh? Totally worth it.
I think they retail for about $70. They're the same as Vortex's regular sprockets but the design is way cooler. Super high quality craftsmanship though and the thing is pretty much the same weight as the new steel JT front sprocket I got.

frozenphil posted:

You going up a tooth up front or just staying stock? I think I'm going to 15/41 when I need to change my chain. It would be nice to not sit at 10k RPM for over an hour on my commute.
Yessir I'm going to try 15/45 and see how it works. I didn't want to change the gearing too much because as much as I would love the low rpms for my commuting, I bang the thing around in the mountains way too much to justify gearing for top speed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

Yessir I'm going to try 15/45 and see how it works. I didn't want to change the gearing too much because as much as I would love the low rpms for my commuting, I bang the thing around in the mountains way too much to justify gearing for top speed.

I play in the mountains too. You can down shift, you know. ;)

Where did you order your sprockets from?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

It's mostly the loss of accel I'm worried about, since the 250 doesn't have much torque as it is. I work at cycle gear so I just ordered the stuff directly from Vortex and Tucker Rocky. Motorcycle superstore has a really good price on that Vortex sprocket though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's not gonna slow you down a lot. It'll slow you down a little, but not a huge amount.

But really you should just...

no, not going to say it

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Said goodbye to my little Ninja last night. On to bigger things in the very near future.

I've been pricing out insurance on all sorts of new bikes. My Progressive insurance rate with an SV and ZX-6R is cheaper than the one I got with my 250 :psyduck:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

kylej posted:

been pricing out insurance on all sorts of new bikes. My Progressive insurance rate with an SV and ZX-6R is cheaper than the one I got with my 250 :psyduck:

My coverage with Progressive dropped like 40% after my first year of experience with no claims, I was happy about that. Still the 250 though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

It's mostly the loss of accel I'm worried about, since the 250 doesn't have much torque as it is.

Yeah, just down shift. It's not like the 250 can carve up the mountains in one gear anyway, so why not make it more pleasant for cruising?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

It's not gonna slow you down a lot. It'll slow you down a little, but not a huge amount.

But really you should just...

no, not going to say it
I can't afford a bigger bike :(

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

sectoidman posted:

Thankfully the guy came inside and admitted to hitting "that red motorcycle out front I think"

Even gave me his insurance card and I've already got a claim opened, faxed them a quote from a local motorcycle shop today, waiting to hear back.

Now that I think about it I should call them and change my contact number since I lost my cell phone on Tatsu. :argh:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Fresh EX250 owner here! I just took delivery of BlueBayou's cafe-racer'ed out '04 Ninjette.

She's actually customized it so much that she removed the tac. Anyone know of any cheap clip/bolt on tach that I can plug in and just clamp to the triple tree?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Tsaven Nava posted:

Fresh EX250 owner here! I just took delivery of BlueBayou's cafe-racer'ed out '04 Ninjette.

She's actually customized it so much that she removed the tac. Anyone know of any cheap clip/bolt on tach that I can plug in and just clamp to the triple tree?

Vapor units seem pretty popular, sklnd had one on his cafe'd 250 before he sold it for that pig of a bike KLR he bought. ;)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaven Nava posted:

wtf a cafe ex250? please post pics of this.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Pics, it was BlueBayou's bike, we had it shipped out from Cali to Chicago (Yeah it was kinda silly, but whatever)

http://rides.webshots.com/album/571085075pPpbgi

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

According to BlueBayou in one of her posts, she bought it (exactly) like that.
Seconding a Vapor unit.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Well it'll be Modify Evolution's call, but I think she'll want to stick with analog gauges. Can I get some sort of simple little thing for cheap that has the proper rev ranges? Everything I'm finding from google tops out at 8k, some 10k.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well it'll be Modify Evolution's call, but I think she'll want to stick with analog gauges. Can I get some sort of simple little thing for cheap that has the proper rev ranges? Everything I'm finding from google tops out at 8k, some 10k.

Well, there's this:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=407845&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

The stock instrument cluster would probably be better though, since it comes with various useful idiot lights, a temperature gauge and a trip meter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...id=120539098665

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Wow, and yeah, $170 is well more then we want to spend. I was hoping for like $30.

I'll talk to her, see what she wants to do. Might just put a stock cluster on it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Everyone who owns this bike should go out and regear to 15/45 right now. I just got done swapping my sprockets and it feels like completely new bike. Cruising rpms are so much more pleasant at 80-90mph and downshifting to 5th still gives you some passing power. First gear is actually usable now, whereas before taking a turn from a stop would leave you redlining or having to shift mid turn. Consequently, downshifting from 2->1 doesn't feel like the rear is going to lock up anymore.

There is a slight loss of acceleration but the bike is much more rideable now. It's noticeable but it isn't a deal breaker. You can actually cruise in the power band instead of having to basically click past every gear to get to 5th or 6th.

frozenphil, I'm not sure if I'd personally do 41 teeth or not. Based off the feel of 15/45, I think 15/41 would turn the bike into a total dog. I only took the bike out for a 5 minute ride around the block so I can't comment on how much different it feels during a long commute, but I think 15/45 might be enough of an rpm drop. If you do wind up going 15/41 please post a trip report though! I'm curious how the bike will feel with that gearing.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Everyone who owns this bike should go out and regear to 15/45 right now. I just got done swapping my sprockets and it feels like completely new bike. Cruising rpms are so much more pleasant at 80-90mph and downshifting to 5th still gives you some passing power. First gear is actually usable now, whereas before taking a turn from a stop would leave you redlining or having to shift mid turn. Consequently, downshifting from 2->1 doesn't feel like the rear is going to lock up anymore.

There is a slight loss of acceleration but the bike is much more rideable now. It's noticeable but it isn't a deal breaker. You can actually cruise in the power band instead of having to basically click past every gear to get to 5th or 6th.

frozenphil, I'm not sure if I'd personally do 41 teeth or not. Based off the feel of 15/45, I think 15/41 would turn the bike into a total dog. I only took the bike out for a 5 minute ride around the block so I can't comment on how much different it feels during a long commute, but I think 15/45 might be enough of an rpm drop. If you do wind up going 15/41 please post a trip report though! I'm curious how the bike will feel with that gearing.

I've been running 15/45 with a smaller-than-stock rear tire since last month, and it's just about perfect.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Tsaven, I hate you so much. I'm furiously imagining that cafe 250 with my Cobra F1r's strapped on, and racing all over downtown with it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

I'm thinking that I'm going to try 15/45 first and if it doesn't get me where I want to be I'll start creeping the rear down until it is where I want to be.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least on my 08 250 I find first gear to be very usable in traffic. I mostly ride on streets commuting. I think it just takes getting used to riding at 10-11k RPM, and knowing when you need to go into 2nd. I'm sure it's a different situation on the older 250's though.

Downshifting from 2nd to 1st is kind of touchy, have to clutch, put rpms up and then ride the clutch a bit. That took a lot of getting used to.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

soy posted:

At least on my 08 250 I find first gear to be very usable in traffic. I mostly ride on streets commuting. I think it just takes getting used to riding at 10-11k RPM, and knowing when you need to go into 2nd. I'm sure it's a different situation on the older 250's though.

Downshifting from 2nd to 1st is kind of touchy, have to clutch, put rpms up and then ride the clutch a bit. That took a lot of getting used to.

Regearing will help with the downshifting issue...you're making it so that at 11k you're at a higher road speed, which gives first a great range of speed. So you can downshift while going faster and not be at 11k. Gearing is sort of a funny thing, it took me a long time to wrap my brain around how the changes in gearing would affect real world riding.

Phil, I'd try swapping out fronts. Much cheaper and very easy to get an idea of what you want. 1 tooth up in the front is about equivalent to 3 teeth down in the rear.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 21, 2010

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

the walkin dude posted:

Tsaven, I hate you so much. I'm furiously imagining that cafe 250 with my Cobra F1r's strapped on, and racing all over downtown with it.

Just hate him until I get my freaking license already. And then he doesn't get to ride it anymore, because my rear end will be glued to it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

modify_evolution posted:

Just hate him until I get my freaking license already. And then he doesn't get to ride it anymore, because my rear end will be glued to it.
Unless he is, in turn, glued to your rear end.
Not inconceivable, I suppose.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Phil, I'd try swapping out fronts. Much cheaper and very easy to get an idea of what you want. 1 tooth in the front is about equivalent to 3 teeth in the rear.

Yeah, that's what I said I was going to do 2 posts up from yours.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I'm thinking that I'm going to try 15/45 first and if it doesn't get me where I want to be I'll start creeping the rear down until it is where I want to be.

This is what you said...you could just boost the front up to 16 and see if that gets you where you want or if it's too much. I only recommend this because fronts are ~20$ and rears are ~50$. Plus you should have access to an impact wrench so changing the front is way easier than changing the rear. I know the 250 wiki says it doesn't fit but this guy installed one on the new gen and it seems like it's fine:
http://www.ninja250forum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105&Itemid=1

I'd obviously check carefully for any clearance issues anyways, but it should be fine.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 21, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

This is what you said...

...right? Stock is 14/45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Z3n posted:

This is what you said...you could just boost the front up to 16 and see if that gets you where you want or if it's too much. I only recommend this because fronts are ~20$ and rears are ~50$. Plus you should have access to an impact wrench so changing the front is way easier than changing the rear. I know the 250 wiki says it doesn't fit but this guy installed one on the new gen and it seems like it's fine:
http://www.ninja250forum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105&Itemid=1

I'd obviously check carefully for any clearance issues anyways, but it should be fine.

You don't even need an impact wrench to change the front sprocket, it's held on with two small bolts torqued to about 14 ft-lbs. I got the old sprocket off and swapped on the new one with the bike's onboard toolkit in about 5 minutes. There was more work involved in getting the chain slack re-adjusted.

• Locked thread