Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

/\/\/\That is gorgeous. Did you dye it to stripe or is it two different yarns? It reminds me of the bohus sweaters.

Not sure how accurate their website is but this is the yarn: http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/product_page_detail.php?category_id=1&item_id=25

It's color "2425 - Rosa Rugosa" second picture down second in from the left. Sort of a raspberry, which I'm happy about! I was going by memory of this yarn I bought like a year ago and in my mind it was more of a hot pink.

EDIT: madlilnerd - I thought I commented on it before but I just scrolled up and realized I forgot to in my rage over the wrong sock increases - I loving LOVE your squid. He is awesome. And I want one too.

Personally I'd probably go with a slightly lighter in tone pink with an irridescent/pearly look. Not like BABY PINK but a lighter rose color. Personal preference though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Oh man, Madlilnerd. I think I might be an alternate version of you. My boyfriend hates yarn store shopping, is totally bored, and can always be tricked with Pho!

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
I think I can beat you both, my boyfriend is Vietnamese and goes food shopping for pho ingredients while I look at yarn *evil grin*
In other news I spent $80 today on yarn x.x
Is there a patch or something that I can start using? Something that repels me from pretty fibres?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Spiteful posted:

I think I can beat you both, my boyfriend is Vietnamese and goes food shopping for pho ingredients while I look at yarn *evil grin*
In other news I spent $80 today on yarn x.x
Is there a patch or something that I can start using? Something that repels me from pretty fibres?

Maybe you could knit yourself a little armband out of some really nice cashmere?

EDIT: I am jealous, I want a Vietnamese boyfriend who cooks for me. Does he cook for you? There's a really good Vietnamese restaurant in my town (I can tell it's good because it's always full of actual Vietnamese people, not just the employees) and it's delicious as gently caress.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

EDIT: madlilnerd - I thought I commented on it before but I just scrolled up and realized I forgot to in my rage over the wrong sock increases - I loving LOVE your squid. He is awesome. And I want one too.

He is lovely :3:, and went to a good home so I'm happy (I promised him as a birthday present back in February to a friend). It's pretty cool having a handmade cuddly toy that size as well, I like big toys that can almost be classed as furniture or cushions. I also like the idea of working toys that were meant to be made in sport weight yarn with 3.5mms using chunky yarn and 6 or 7mms. I tried making a monkey this way, but when I realised he was going to use up 6 balls, I had to give up for the sake of my wallet.

Scooty Puff Junior posted:

Oh man, Madlilnerd. I think I might be an alternate version of you. My boyfriend hates yarn store shopping, is totally bored, and can always be tricked with Pho!

hahaha, I don't think he hates yarn store shopping yet, I haven't dragged him around enough. He doesn't seem to mind fabric stores... maybe I lucked out with an understanding man (pro-tip: butter him up with a scarf and a quilt!)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

My boyfriend is really alright with the yarn shopping trips, but I do try to keep it pretty fast since he doesn't really have much to do when we go. He mostly just tries not to touch anything and browses/follows me around while I fondle the yarn and try to make up my mind already. It's really quite nice.

I've also finished the first of 2 projects for my mother for Mother's Day:

It's an Undine, but it's a super teeny one--not quite a yard wide or long. It's less than 190 yards of yarn (since I used only one ball of Mini Mochi). I did a bit of modifying to the pattern to pull it off: 7 repeats of B instead of 18, chart d in 4 garter stitch patterned rows instead of the 8.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
I can't let this fall beyond page 1 so I'm posting to say that I got a package of several skeins of superwash sock yarn that I'm going to be dyeing this weekend! Woot!

Also, nearly finished knitting Talia with Rowan Felted Tweed Aran. Excited to be wear it!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

That's a gorgeous shawl.

I was just making Branching Out for my mom for mother's day but now I probably have to ditch it. I hosed up one of my fingers big big big time working on a craft project and can't knit at all. It will take a long time to heal, too, so I doubt I'll be knitting for several months--- or at least, I won't be able to knit much at one time. I tried today and was in agony after one row and realized that my left ring finger apparently DOES have a function when knitting.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ok, so I finally made it to the bead store on a day when the bead store was actually open. I got two colors to go with my sort of raspberry pink yarn - an almost matching raspberry (very shiny) and a lighter pink/almost white pearlescent.

One issue: the beads I got were 11s. I think the pattern actually calls for 8 or something slightly bigger. I DID check that the bead will fit on the yarn - I managed to get it on by wrapping some dental floss around the yarn and threading both ends of the dental floss through the bead and pulling it through. So no problem there.

But how do I get them on while knitting, that is the question. The pattern calls for putting the bead around the next stitch to be knit and then knitting it. It says to use a tiny crochet hook for this, but I'm not sure it's physically possible to make a crochet hook small enough to go through these beads, and if they do I'm guessing I can't afford it because it's probably made out of tungston with massively powerful lasers or something.

I suppose I could thread the dental floss through the stitch and do it that way but I don't want to go blind or anything. Thoughts?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I suppose I could thread the dental floss through the stitch and do it that way but I don't want to go blind or anything. Thoughts?

For the life of me I can't find the store, but they sell dentist's hooks (I believe that's what they are, they're for medical use and have a super super teeny hook at one end) for threading small beads. I cannot find my catalog from them to save my life, nor remember what the company's dang name is.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

For the life of me I can't find the store, but they sell dentist's hooks (I believe that's what they are, they're for medical use and have a super super teeny hook at one end) for threading small beads. I cannot find my catalog from them to save my life, nor remember what the company's dang name is.

Yikes, I googed and it made my teeth hurt! :)

I will definitely look into it. I did just look up the size of the hole in 11/0 beads and it's apparently 2-2.5 mm? That seems huge to me based on how they look (part of my job is measuring things in that range and they seem bigger than these beads to me, but whatever, it's not like I've compared them). Maybe I can get a size 16 crochet hook (probably not at Michaels, eh? Gonna have to go to the really nice yarn shop? DARN)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
There are crochet hooks which are as small as .6 mm, made exactly for the purpose of attaching tiny beads. They're basically a piece of curved wire. I once sold one to a woman because her dentist said she should use small crochet hooks to clean between her teeth. :gonk:

VV
Reminds me of this:

Drei fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 20, 2010

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I once put a little crochet hook through my finger joint. Well, 3/4 of the way there- it would almost have been easier to push it the rest of the way through and cut off the hook before removing it. The hook caught on things, lots of things, as I tried to work it free. It was horrible.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I had a knitting needle (I think it was a size 10 even) go about an inch into my foot while carrying some cotton work. The needle slipped out, kind of stuck halfway in the carpet on the bulb end, and then my foot went straight into it. Luckily due to the angle (and probably because it was a size 10) it just kind of slipped under the first layer of skin.

I really need to get some point protectors.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I stepped on a size 0 needle once. Never again. :gonk:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
This thread was all happy knitting and it just took a huge turn for the :gonk:.

My mom sewed her hand once. Like, with a sewing machine. All I've ever done is jab myself with needles (thank god).

Sometimes I use a DPN to hold my sweater closed and my boss saw once and yelled at me. "You could fall on it and DIE".

I thought it was kinda funny at the time but...maybe she was right.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Oh man, my Aunt sewed her hand once as well. Yipes.

The worst I've ever done is step on a sewing needle. The eye of the needle went straight into my heel and it was really difficult to pull out. There was a little bit of thread sticking out as well. (Just not enough to grasp)

There is something delightful about comparing crafting war wounds.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
How about something a little less physically painful?

I was randomly googling earlier today and I discovered a yarn store I didn't know about that was only 15min from my house! :dance: Ever since my old college store closed I've been looking for a new shop to call home. So far the ones I've found are either too far away or are manned by the biggest bitches in the universe.

I got there, everything looks nice...until I saw the prices.

The cheapest skein there was $20. No joke. :gonk:

At this rate I'm going to have to start my own yarn store. :smith:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

At this rate I'm going to have to start my own yarn store. :smith:

You have no idea how many times I've thought about this. There's even a cute little empty storefront less than half a mile from my house and it's right next to a dunkin donuts and man, it would be nice not to want to kill myself at work every single day of my life.

The idea of someone giving me a business loan to start a yarn store is pretty hilarious though.

NOTHING under $20, seriously? I buy a fair amount of yarn that sits right at that point but plenty, PLENTY that doesn't. Sheesh, that's ridiculous. Is it just a massive markup or is it 100% luxury yarns or something?

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
Drei, thanks for the lace patterns. :3:

Finished this scarf awhile back:

Just three types of stitch repeated in blocks. Approx. 6' long. I just noticed a fluke in the seed stitch pattern. :byodame: Oh well, not noticeable in person and it's my favourite scarf, yeayeah.

WIP:

Wave lace stitch. Before attempting more involved lace, might as well do an easy one with leftovers. Same four rows over and over and over are driving me crazy, though. It's not great, but eh. Gift for grandma, whatever.

Yargh fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 21, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

NOTHING under $20, seriously? I buy a fair amount of yarn that sits right at that point but plenty, PLENTY that doesn't. Sheesh, that's ridiculous. Is it just a massive markup or is it 100% luxury yarns or something?

If there was something cheaper than the owner hid it pretty drat well. There were mysterious signs talking about a sale, but all I could find were the yarns not on sale (nearly all of them). And the owner was too busy with her friends to even notice me.

Why do all yarn shop owners in NJ hate me? :smith: Oh Yarn Calling, there's never going to be another store like you.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Yargh posted:

WIP:

Wave lace stitch. Before attempting more involved lace, might as well do an easy one with leftovers. Same four rows over and over and over are driving me crazy, though. It's not great, but eh. Gift for grandma, whatever.

I'm also making a wave lace scarf with some leftovers, but I don't mind how repetitive it is. It's good, mindless knitting at least. Of course, it's on hold now that I've decided to do something completely different and totally challenging: a seed stich cowl. :v:

Edit: In fact, have a picture of it (face taken out because it was dumb):

Click here for the full 600x688 image.

It used to be a sweater I never wore, and now it's a thing I can't wear for seven to eight months! I make good choices!

Gently Used Coat fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 23, 2010

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
What are some shawl patterns that people really like? My mom's birthday is in July and this has been a rough year for her (forced into early retirement by her rear end in a top hat principal) so I'd like to make her something super pretty and lovely. Thinking about using either SweetGeorgia's Cashsilk Lace (soooo soft) or Handmaiden's Mini Maiden (a bit thicker and gorgeous colorways).

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Drei posted:

What are some shawl patterns that people really like? My mom's birthday is in July and this has been a rough year for her (forced into early retirement by her rear end in a top hat principal) so I'd like to make her something super pretty and lovely. Thinking about using either SweetGeorgia's Cashsilk Lace (soooo soft) or Handmaiden's Mini Maiden (a bit thicker and gorgeous colorways).

This might have nothing to do with what you're looking for, but this guy has AMAZINGLY COOL Shawl patterns. I wish I could knit better than a dishtowel, because I'd tackle any of these in a heartbeat. Very pretty designs, and some nerdy ones too. Plus he looks like a cool guy - I don't think there's anyone that would make fun of him for knitting...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Drei posted:

I really love this:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/haruni
It would work for the mini maiden, looks like.

Also in love with this right now, planning to make one myself - you can do a few different sizes which is nice - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aeolian-shawl

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Drei posted:

MMario is excellent, he's in my fav designers. Pine and Ivy is super pretty, and it's on my list to do. The designer, Anne Hanson, has a ton of really good lace shawls/stoles available, and I like a lot of them. Free wise, and still well done, the Vernal Equinox shawl is epic, a semi circle, and quite lovely. Knitty has the Shipwreck Shawl , which I had started on. I probably shouldn't have picked it for a first lace, because I ended up frogging it after a needle broke, but I remember enjoying it for quite some time. I know a number of people haven't done the beads with it either.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Has anyone tried out the Stitch and Bitch yarn?

I saw a pile at AC Moore today and I have to say the alpaca wool looks like it would be perfect for felting. I would have grabbed one but I couldn't find a price for them anywhere.

Also I found out that another yarn store I really liked closed down. :smith:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yep, I've tried it and I liked it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Well a size 14 crochet hook doesn't fit through the beads. Stupid tiny beads! I don't think I'm gonna find a size 16 crochet hook in any store around here.

I can't decide if I should buy more beads (it's not like the cost a lot) or order a ridiculously tiny crochet hook online.

And I don't even have time to KNIT this shawl!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Also I found out that another yarn store I really liked closed down. :smith:

Drive a bit north up to mine :v:. I just got the stuff to make this, and some other random bits. She didn't charge me for the issue of Vogue Knitting, and let me borrow a longer circ because I wasn't sure the 29" would cut it :3:.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I am currently knitting the Akimbo shawl by Stephen west. I'm knitting it on 4.5 MM needles with Blue Sky Alpaca Silk in Brick and (I think) Slate. I am so close to having the first section of the pattern done, all told its 12 352 stitches.
I've used 2 skeins of the brick so far. I'll post pix soon.

I'm normally not one the complain about the price of a project but this poo poo cost $60 so far in materials.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fooley posted:

Drive a bit north up to mine :v:. I just got the stuff to make this, and some other random bits. She didn't charge me for the issue of Vogue Knitting, and let me borrow a longer circ because I wasn't sure the 29" would cut it :3:.

If there's one thing I miss more than a nearby yarn store it's one with a friendly owner. The only stores left are ones run by harpies. :gonk:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Blue_monday posted:

I'm normally not one the complain about the price of a project but this poo poo cost $60 so far in materials.

See, this is why I'm losing weight. I want to make myself a cashmere sweater without having to sell the house first.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I just bought three skeins of Berroco Lustra because I loved the color and now I have absolutely no idea what I should knit with it. Has anyone worked with it? Any suggestions?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Just wanted to let everyone know that Knitty brought out a hat pattern that's actually kinda cute.

Look Under The Rock posted:

I just bought three skeins of Berroco Lustra because I loved the color and now I have absolutely no idea what I should knit with it. Has anyone worked with it? Any suggestions?

...make that hat I just posted? :v:

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Just wanted to let everyone know that Knitty brought out a hat pattern that's actually kinda cute.

Wow, I love that.

Speaking of hats, does anyone have a suggestion on how to tighten the ribbing on a hat without re-knitting it? I made an awesome hippie beret out of slubby cotton yarn, but the edge ribbing is too loose and it just falls off my head. :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

Wow, I love that.

Speaking of hats, does anyone have a suggestion on how to tighten the ribbing on a hat without re-knitting it? I made an awesome hippie beret out of slubby cotton yarn, but the edge ribbing is too loose and it just falls off my head. :(

Could you get some elastic thread and run it through on the inside?

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Could you get some elastic thread and run it through on the inside?

That might be my best bet, I'm just not sure how to do it without the elastic showing through...?

CaptainHairdo
Nov 19, 2005
"You should really be doing some research rather than browsing the forums in your underwear."
\
:backtowork:

Aardvarklet posted:

That might be my best bet, I'm just not sure how to do it without the elastic showing through...?

My best guess is that if it's standard KxPx ribbing, you could thread a similar color piece of elastic through the ends of the loops on the back of the knit stitches. Then the elastic will stay towards the interior of the hat, and if it does show through in some places it won't show up too different from the surrounding yarn.

I just thought of a downside to doing it this way. When it bunches up, it would tend to draw the knit stitches inward and may look awkward compared to how ribbing is supposed to look. I'm not quite sure how to thread it through the backs of the purl stitches without showing through - maybe threading through the backs of the cast on stitches would work?

Perhaps the ultimate solution is to hot glue an elastic band to the inside. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You could possibly use a nice sharp needle and run the elastic through the yarn, rather than through the stitches. That way it wouldn't show through. At least I think it wouldn't, I have admittedly never done this.

Another thing is, if you still have some yarn anyway - you could pick up along the edge and knit a band then put an elastic tape thing inside it and sew it up inside. Like a drawstring on a hoodie. Hopefully I'm making sense.