Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

brad industry posted:

There is this line of negotiating some clients use, especially editorial, called the endless line. As in, "If you can't shoot this job without an advance, there is an endless line of people who can."

Aren't you the one who regularly says that "if people are successfully undercutting you, then your photography simply isn't as unique and desirable as you think it is?" Not trying to argue, just play devil's advocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

orange lime posted:

Aren't you the one who regularly says that "if people are successfully undercutting you, then your photography simply isn't as unique and desirable as you think it is?" Not trying to argue, just play devil's advocate.

the rate isn't being disputed, it's the time from when the production expense is incurred and the actual payment from the client is received.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Well, sure, but if the client knows that with one photographer he can go longer without paying (and, to hear some of the horror stories, that can be years if ever), that's a "better deal" for him because he doesn't have to pay until he feels like it. It's still undercutting, just that it's done in a sneakier way.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

orange lime posted:

Well, sure, but if the client knows that with one photographer he can go longer without paying (and, to hear some of the horror stories, that can be years if ever), that's a "better deal" for him because he doesn't have to pay until he feels like it. It's still undercutting, just that it's done in a sneakier way.

The person who is responsible for hiring you is almost never the person who writes the checks.

With editorial it's usually a take it or leave it deal: we have this assignment and this amount of money for it, can you do it? There's not really a lot of room for negotiation and it's not like you're submitting a bid. You are doing the production, not them, so you have to finance it if that's what it requires to shoot it. If the magazine is producing the shoot that would be different.

Regardless of whether you are getting advances or not though, carrying expenses is part of being in business. Almost all photographers have to finance this kind of production stuff, it's not hard for me to imagine how you could get in over your head with the economy suddenly getting bad.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 18, 2010

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Awesome old pictures of tons of people forming sweet designs: http://www.hammergallery.com/images/peoplepictures/people%20pictures.htm

I don't even know what more to say, but these are pretty cool.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Alright here it is :

Yeah, I suck at welding. Did this with a stick welder, really need a mig to get things cleaner. I'm going to weld some kind of box around the top of the gimble so it looks a little cleaner, fill all the gaps and grind them down and paint the whole thing black. Lots of cleaning up to do, but the basic idea is there.

Basically I figured out I can't really get this thing to balance properly. I'm not sure if it's possible with out some kind of engineering degree. I can get it close, but as soon as you move it, you loose it. But it does provide a poo poo ton of stabilization compared to holding the camera handheld and walking around. The gimble allows you to have some fluid motions by just grabbing the bottom of the frame with your other hand. You can pan around much smooth too. You can also put the frame right into your armpit like a stock. Surprisingly comfortable.

ease fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 19, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Some really sweet lightning & volcano pictures that will make you go :aaaaa:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

Here's a couple:

Click here for the full 990x624 image.

Click here for the full 990x624 image.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ease posted:

Alright here it is :

Yeah, I suck at welding. Did this with a stick welder, really need a mig to get things cleaner. I'm going to weld some kind of box around the top of the gimble so it looks a little cleaner, fill all the gaps and grind them down and paint the whole thing black. Lots of cleaning up to do, but the basic idea is there.

Basically I figured out I can't really get this thing to balance properly. I'm not sure if it's possible with out some kind of engineering degree. I can get it close, but as soon as you move it, you loose it. But it does provide a poo poo ton of stabilization compared to holding the camera handheld and walking around. The gimble allows you to have some fluid motions by just grabbing the bottom of the frame with your other hand. You can pan around much smooth too. You can also put the frame right into your armpit like a stock. Surprisingly comfortable.

Wow, great job! Can you get a shot of you holding it because I'm not really sure what you DO with a steadicam rig...

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Here's a video about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6HDUDbeEJw

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

This is pretty cool:

http://digital-photography-school.c...raphy+School%29

A brave 400D gave its life for this shot:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
That is awesome!
I really want to build a 4x4 rc car with a camera that I can control from a PC via remote desktop at my house. I always think about how to do it, and how to make it a little autonomous. It'd be nice to have a charging station it could park itself in.

ease fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 20, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Rated PG-34 posted:

This is pretty cool:

This is the kind of thing that the dumbass who sat in the pond for three months and got hundreds of parasites should have had. Oh, look, a close-up photo of a lion just like the other guy got, and the photographer is probably sitting in his air-conditioned land rover driving the camera with a joystick on a laptop.

"Oh, right...we have remote controls now...yeahhhhh...."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I'm going to NYC at the end of May. Are there any photography things I should check out? B&H or camera stores don't count. I'm planning on MOMA right now.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

orange lime posted:

This is the kind of thing that the dumbass who sat in the pond for three months and got hundreds of parasites should have had. Oh, look, a close-up photo of a lion just like the other guy got, and the photographer is probably sitting in his air-conditioned land rover driving the camera with a joystick on a laptop.

Suffering for your craft builds character though. Just imagine how much more character that guy now has.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

Suffering for your craft builds character though. Just imagine how much more character that guy now has.

Obviously character is measured by the amount of blood in ones stool. I do have to say that parasite man had better composure in his photos. It's probably hard to get the framing just right when you're trying to position the whole vehicle while it gets batted around like a toy. Almost as difficult as doing it with an rear end full of worms.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

This is pretty cool:

That's a very cool idea. I wonder why they didn't post pics of the ruined 400D?

ease posted:

That is awesome!
I really want to build a 4x4 rc car with a camera that I can control from a PC via remote desktop at my house.

A friend of mine did something similar in middle school, although no computer (we were rocking 486's at the time). Infrared video camera with transmitter, and an RC car stripped of its decorative plastic. We drove it through the air vents of his house.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 20, 2010

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Pretty interesting talk with the executive producer of House MD about 5d2

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/04/19/in-depth-interview-with-executive-producer-and-director-of-house-season-finale-shot-on-canon-5dmkii/

He seems to really like the shallow dof.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This popped up on my local Craigslist. If your $200 filter gets wet, I recommend a different tactic then he took.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brad industry
May 22, 2004

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

brad industry posted:

Please tell me your going to do it? Please?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

How much would you charge for this? We may be able to take up a collection here to pay you to take this job. I'm willing to pitch in.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

How much would you charge for this? We may be able to take up a collection here to pay you to take this job. I'm willing to pitch in.

If they're good I think they'd make awesome bathroom prints.

I'm just imagining people sitting on my toilet, and across from them is a photograph of kitty David slaying kitty Goliath.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Kitty Adam and Eve? Shaved cats with fig leafs right?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Kitty Noah, loading up pairs of kitty on an arc... made of more kitties!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph Brad, I too would be willing to pitch in for this. What is the photographers equivalent of Allen Smithee?

Jean-Paul Fartre
Jun 2, 2008

exitstenchalism

orange lime posted:

booooo

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jean-Paul Fartre posted:

booooo

I believe in going to ridiculous lengths for what you're passionate about, but not in being blatantly stupid about it. The guy didn't even wear a goddamn wetsuit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

jean-paul fartre made me laugh pretty good, thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

orange lime posted:

I believe in going to ridiculous lengths for what you're passionate about, but not in being blatantly stupid about it. The guy didn't even wear a goddamn wetsuit.

It must have been pretty hot in that there cesspool ok?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

orange lime posted:

He probably walked down to the Nguruman Hills Wetsuit Emporium and found that it was closed due to lack of sales.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

wetsuits aren't environmental protection suits by any means. Hell, they work by trapping a layer of water between your skin and the suit and heating that to body temperature.

I doubt there are any environmental suits that could take constant immersion for extended periods of time for three months.

Dude probably could have planned better, Nick Brandt is miles beyond the pond guy, and shoots close up to the animals.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
There are commercial dry-suits that stand up to that sort of abuse on a regular basis. Hot as hell once you put one on though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I never got why he didn't just camp out like 800 meters away in a nice big hide with a long lens and get the shot that way.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

tuyop posted:

I never got why he didn't just camp out like 800 meters away in a nice big hide with a long lens and get the shot that way.

Because the image you can make with a short lens is radically different. There are endless images of wildlife shot from far away, very few shot up close.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Should have just put his camera on a remote control hovercraft or something.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

Kitty Noah, loading up pairs of kitty on an arc... made of more kitties!

Unfortunately the ad isn't up anymore, now that I have thought of the possibilities I wish I had responded. Think about the epic cat calendar you could make out of this.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Should have just put his camera on a remote control hovercraft or something.

Or stuck a monopod in mud at the bottom of the pond, then triggered the camera wirelessly.

Like I said, I admire people who go to great lengths to test their body/spirit/passion/devotion/whatever, but that guy just seemed to be really poorly prepared. There are any number of things he could have done to prevent his getting parasites -- wear a drysuit, put on a rock costume and hide at the edge of the water, use a remote camera, take anti-parasitic drugs. He just seems like the photographer version of the guys who decide to go on a "spirit walk" in Death Valley wearing sandals and carrying two quarts of water.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

Unfortunately the ad isn't up anymore, now that I have thought of the possibilities I wish I had responded. Think about the epic cat calendar you could make out of this.

Seriously, that would sell so well it's not even funny.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Here's something rather interesting. Nokia Markets unit director Anssi Vanjoki says camera phones will make DSLRs obsolete (link through Google translate). Here's a sloppily translated excerpt.

Anssi Vanjoki doesn't know poo poo about cameras posted:

Vanjoki based his argument on the rapid progression of technology. "We can squeeze a 50Mpix sensor and a high-quality glass lens into a space smaller than your pinky, and season this with an image editing software that will revolutionize the DSLR market in the near future."

But there's a good point there too.

Anssi Vanjoki doesn't know poo poo about cameras posted:

"Everybody has a camera phone, and everybody's taking photos."

And he says that in about a year camera phones will be taking HD quality video. But that new Nokia phones will kill the DSLR market? The guy's a loving idiot. It's not the DSLR market Nokia should be aiming for either, it's the compact market. DSLRs are nothing compared to the compacts, and it's the compact cameras that will suffer the most as camera phones improve. Will phones and compact cameras converge? I see that as much more likely than camera phones killing off DSLRs.

Original article in Finnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Will phones and compact cameras converge?
They already have in China. Everyone here has phones with real actual, respectable lenses, optical zooms and all. They're about the size of a Canon SD1300. A little thick, but still easily pocketable and not much bigger than a blackberry.