Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Tecman posted:

I'm really envious of the people that will be playing this for the first time. :) Oh god, the memories of my first playthrough.

(Take the GEP gun.)
I'm more envious of where he is right now, having played the game up to a point and, presumably, starting from the beginning.

My first time was a little rough.

What a shame.

Also, yeah, one of the sweet things about Morrowind was that even if you did kill off certain characters, there were several different ways to finish off the main quest--well, only a few specific things to do--but several ways to get there. Hell, you could figure a lot of stuff out from just reading one of the many tombs in-game and making a few hopeful treks yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009
Dammit Deus Ex works great with the dx10 renderer and texture pack but IW just won't run. (win 7 64bit)

It already runs on one core so i'm at a loss. Where any alternate renderers made for IW? Anyone try it recently? It just hangs on the main menu with a sound loop.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DR_Bob84 posted:

Dammit Deus Ex works great with the dx10 renderer and texture pack but IW just won't run. (win 7 64bit)

Sounds like everything's working just fine, then. :smugdog:

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff
HDTP and Enb series. Adds some bloom and bump mapping to the game. Looks somewhat better though TVs look terrible and it's got a bit of that 'everything coated with semen' look going on.

http://www.helderpinto.com/blog/personal/deusex-ultra-high-quality-mod-v01.html

also Warren Spector's post-mortem analysis of Deus Ex is always a good read

http://www.jnoodle.com/careertech/files/postMortems/DeusEx.pdf

CAPTAIN SHIT fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 20, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

Yep, no loving indicator whatsoever aside from the "Special Limited Edition" tucked in the corner. Cost me $15 too.

I don't follow what's happening here. You got sold half a game?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The stealth pistol is good, right?

Thinking of going for a stealthy but shooty playthrough with shifter mod. Going to accuracy up the sniper rifle then thinking about putting every other mod in the stealth pistol.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Fallout 3 was actually pretty good about this as most quest-critical characters, when killed, had some note to point you in the right direction or the trinket you would have needed to get from them anyways.

Morrowind did this as well, if you killed that Dr. Manhattan-looking god you would find a book with all the necessary instructions to win the game that he would have told you otherwise.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

HDTP and Enb series. Adds some bloom and bump mapping to the game. Looks somewhat better though TVs look terrible and it's got a bit of that 'everything coated with semen' look going on.

I cannot wait for DX New Vision to be finished. Running on DX10 it'll have either bump or parallax mapping, thanks to the new renderer.

Seriously, did you ever imagine seeing THIS inside of Deus Ex? :3:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Deals decent damage for a stapler from what I recall. :)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Tecman posted:

I cannot wait for DX New Vision to be finished. Running on DX10 it'll have either bump or parallax mapping, thanks to the new renderer.

I showed a friend that picture and he said that while he was working on making a game engine on his free time about 5-6 years ago, that was the same exact parallax map he was using from some online tutorial :P.

And I recall that the maxed out 10mm was a lot better than the maxed out stealth pistol just because of power. I used the stealth pistol because it just looked a lot neater and had silver shell casings from the start.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
I've bought this game like, 4 times over my life. Just bought it again on Steam. Glad to see that it runs just fine in 1440x900 with 32 bit textures :) No need to mod at all

cool jamal
Mar 27, 2010

by Tiny Fistpump

Tecman posted:

it better have ragdolls

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I bought Deus Ex on steam literally 24 hours ago. Am I hosed, or can I get the sale price somehow?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Thinking of going for a stealthy but shooty playthrough with shifter mod. Going to accuracy up the sniper rifle then thinking about putting every other mod in the stealth pistol.

Do this. The stealth pistol is great once you put some stuff into it.

You may also consider Lo Bruto.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't follow what's happening here. You got sold half a game?

Yup. They sold a three level demo in stores which had no indication it was a demo aside from "special limited edition" on the jewel case. For $15. Activision "value".

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tecman posted:

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Do not run the game without doing these changes on modern machines, especially if you're running Windows 7. The new renderers RULE.

I got both the DX10 renderer and the "run Deus Ex on modern systems" utility, no luck. It still crashes as soon as it launches, and if I run it in safe mode it works for about a minute and then it freezes and then:

Click here for the full 1208x499 image.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, going with and without shifter, no luck. And it's weird because the first time I downloaded and installed it it was fine, it was only after I saved and quit and came back alter that it happened. :psyduck:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

hobbesmaster posted:

Deals decent damage for a stapler from what I recall. :)

If you use the lazer sight (found in the first level down in the bottom of the bunker thing behind the statue), then you can accurately make headshots with it every time.

Even with the stealth pistol, headshots are lethal 95% of the time. For the other 5%, just pop another round into the guy immediately after he winces after the first shot and he'll go right down.

My stealth pistol has the lazer sight and an extended clip. It's perfect for the Sam Fisher type of player. Hasn't failed me yet. :clint:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 21, 2010

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:psyduck:

Have you tried either downgrading to the DX9 enhanced renderer (still vastly superior to the DX renderer provided with the game), or tried the OpenGL one?

Another thing I'd try is to examine DeusEx.log inside the System folder. See if you get any sort of error messages.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

senae posted:

I bought Deus Ex on steam literally 24 hours ago. Am I hosed, or can I get the sale price somehow?

you're hosed but hey it was only 10 bux anyway

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

If you use the lazer sight (found in the first level down in the bottom of the bunker thing behind the statue), then you can accurately make headshots with it every time.

Even with the stealth pistol, headshots are lethal 95% of the time. For the other 5%, just pop another round into the guy immediately after he winces after the first shot and he'll go right down.

My stealth pistol has the lazer sight and an extended clip. It's perfect for the Sam Fisher type of player. Hasn't failed me yet. :clint:

What's the advantage of the laser site over a scope? I've always used the scope on the stealth pistol and it's worked wonders for me.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've got Windows Vista 64 bit Home. If I get this game from Steam is it going to require cursing and/or elbow grease to get this to work? I just had this problem with Jade Empire (I know, but it was like 3 bucks during Christmas) so I want to make sure.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

IdiotSavante posted:

I've got Windows Vista 64 bit Home. If I get this game from Steam is it going to require cursing and/or elbow grease to get this to work? I just had this problem with Jade Empire (I know, but it was like 3 bucks during Christmas) so I want to make sure.

I've got Windows 7 64 bit, and the game ran perfectly straight from steam. Installing various mods/ DX and Unreal updates were a breeze, too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Chunderbucket posted:

Yup. They sold a three level demo in stores which had no indication it was a demo aside from "special limited edition" on the jewel case. For $15. Activision "value".

What did you expect from a "limited" edition? :v:

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Weedle posted:

What did you expect from a "limited" edition? :v:

Hell if I know, I was a broke-rear end kid with a $1-a-week allowance at the time though so that incident turned me on to rampant filez for the rest of highschool. loving horseshit.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I bought IW for five bucks off Steam just now. Haven't played it since release and on a rig that could barely handle the poorly optimized engine. I remember playing it but I don't much remember anything about it except that it actually got good once JC got out of deep freeze and conversations weren't :downs: dialogues.

Maybe I'm mellowing out in my old age but man, it isn't as bad as I remember. It still doesn't hold up at all to the first game but I'm actually having a fair amount of fun with it. Especially with the crazy loving physics. Make a body pile and shoot it up and watch the corpses fly!

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
China level is so sick.

Can you imagine this game just re-imaged? A HUGE Unatco building filled with tons of people, offices, and long and oppressive white corridors, the sounds (and smells) of paperwork in the air. A China level (and CHINACLUB) with throngs of people and rows upon rows of shops, your visual augs going crazy pinging from target to potential target, deciphering symbols and language on banners and what not, as you try and ease drop on conversation.

Ah, bliss.

One of the cool things I've noticed is that talking to certain people introduces them to you, so Suit and Old Woman become Mr. and Mrs. SoAndSo after you have a few words.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Honestly if there's something in DX3 where you can look at a sign and it will be translated into English by whatever eye augmentations you have, that would be the sickest little detail ever.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Tanith posted:

Honestly if there's something in DX3 where you can look at a sign and it will be translated into English by whatever eye augmentations you have, that would be the sickest little detail ever.

I want more Augmented Reality. It's probably too much to ask for, but it'd be fantastic.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
So I know most people have said that Invisible War sucks compared to Deus Ex, but is it worth the $2.50 it's up for now?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So I know most people have said that Invisible War sucks compared to Deus Ex, but is it worth the $2.50 it's up for now?

Yeah. I mean, gently caress. You spend more than that at Taco Bell, and you'll only end up with half the acid-indigestion.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I say yes, if only for the Omar and playing something that vaguely resembles DX1. It's 2,50 so if it sucks, whatever.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
But I just spent $2.50 gifting DX1 to my brother...:ohdear: So I guess is IW worth 5 bucks?

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN

poop posted:

I have never played this game but I swear to god I read something about it every day. I'm gonna wait for a steam deal where it ends up being $1 or something.

Just quoting myself because gently caress yes.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

ICARUS HAS YOU

Also, everyone should buy Deus Ex for $2.50 right now. If you already have it buy it again

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

OregonDonor posted:

What's the advantage of the laser site over a scope? I've always used the scope on the stealth pistol and it's worked wonders for me.

The laser, while it doesn't let you zoom in, is dead still and makes your weapon always fire with pinpoint accuracy... except with the Shifter mod. The Shifter mod makes the laser wobble around a little bit according to your skill in the weapon.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
I too bought the "Special Limited Edition" for 15 bucks. God drat was my 15 year old rear end ever pissed off. I really enjoyed the game but was so pissed about the demo/limited edition I swore I would never buy it.

Now, 10 year later. For 2.50? Yeah I'll give it a shot. But seriously, gently caress Eidos for that "limited edition" poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

3Romeo posted:

I bought IW for five bucks off Steam just now. Haven't played it since release and on a rig that could barely handle the poorly optimized engine. I remember playing it but I don't much remember anything about it except that it actually got good once JC got out of deep freeze and conversations weren't :downs: dialogues.

Maybe I'm mellowing out in my old age but man, it isn't as bad as I remember. It still doesn't hold up at all to the first game but I'm actually having a fair amount of fun with it. Especially with the crazy loving physics. Make a body pile and shoot it up and watch the corpses fly!

The part where you get to JC's little sanctuary and you re-visit the scenes from the first game was probably my favorite part of IW. Close second: having the Aggresive Defense System aug at the highest-level so the Templar super soldiers all explode when they run into you, since the only weapon they have is the rocket launcher.

Stump Truck posted:

ICARUS HAS YOU

:golfclap:

BullChicken
Jun 1, 2000

Gary, me need sex now inside please
I`m getting this when trying to use the dx10 renderer on win7 64. I have dx11 installed on the computer, is it not backwards compatable or do I just have to shove a dll in the deusex/system dir?

Also, is the any way to stop the UAC prompt when I run the game?
This isn`t the steam version.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Frankly I don't see why everyone is so into a DX10 renderer for a 10 year old game. Same feeling about the UT3 cum shaders posted a while back. I tried both on a couple occasions and never worked correctly for me. I like the new OpenGL renderer though. Direct X is pretty much always backwards compatible with previous versions, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I fear Icarus has me as well. Steam version on Win7 x64, Athlon II X3 435, Radeon 4850 with the latest ATI drivers.

Launch the game normally, with the default Direct3D renderer, OpenGL, the enhanced DX10 or software rendering: enters full-screen mode and immediately crashes.

Launch in safe mode with the "Disable all sound" option, other options seem to be irrelevant: Launches, I get to the menu and but whatever I do, within about 20-60 seconds the game stops responding to mouse movements, the logo will continue to spin in the background if I'm still on the menu screen. Have to Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill it, and I get the General Protection Fault! box like ...Of SCIENCE! posted above.

Have run the fixer tool, no effect (does it even give you a response to indicate it successfully applied its changes?), and as I said, have tried multiple rendering options. Applying compatibility mode settings to DeusEx.exe results in a "Cannot find Steam" error.