Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Delirious would get over HUGE in WWE and move a bunch of merch?

Brian Geywirtz is actually a fan of Delirious and felt he'd be a good fit in WWE, but this was right after ROH had signed most of their roster to contracts and so nothing came of it. It was funny since that was when Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne was signed and he and Delirious came up together and he seemed like a much less natural fit for WWE than Delirious.

I also imagine WWE wouldn't like not owning the Delirious gimmick, and while he is a good wrestler regardless I'm not sure any other gimmick is going to fit him as well.

But kids LOVE Delirious and he's just a unique interesting wrestler and if you brought him into WWE he'd be a great fit in the mid card role. Plus he's one of a handful of wrestlers who would make a perfect pairing with Hornswoggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
This is something that's bugged me for a while and I'm checking to make sure that I'm not crazy. Does WWE programming have more ads than it used to about 10 years back? I honestly don't remember matches being interrupted as much as they are these days but maybe I'm wrong. Is it because they got more advertisers since then or what?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Good Listener posted:

This is something that's bugged me for a while and I'm checking to make sure that I'm not crazy. Does WWE programming have more ads than it used to about 10 years back? I honestly don't remember matches being interrupted as much as they are these days but maybe I'm wrong. Is it because they got more advertisers since then or what?

I don't believe they cut to commercials in the middle of matches like they do today during the Attitude Era, no. I could be wrong though.

I'd guess the greater presence of ads is the result of two things:

A) Wrestling is just less popular today than it was, say, 10 years ago, so running more ads plays a greater role in making a profit.

B) The PG product has gotten the WWE a lot of new sponsors that it never had access to with a TV-14 product, such as Mattel, Pepsi, etc. There's probably a large (understandable) inclination to capitalize on those big names.

I dunno, just a guess.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 20, 2010

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Good Listener posted:

Same number of ads, just different spacing. I remember on some old Raws were they would say "we're going to burn through a bunch of commercials so there aren't any during the main event." A more ad-savvy person could answer this better, but I believe the current format is so you'll stay with the channel during the commercial so you won't miss the match.

Mad Reverend Rad
Jun 22, 2002

rock and roll's greatest shithead

MassRayPer posted:

But kids LOVE Delirious and he's just a unique interesting wrestler and if you brought him into WWE he'd be a great fit in the mid card role. Plus he's one of a handful of wrestlers who would make a perfect pairing with Hornswoggle.

Yeah. Much like how Sidelico is now Hunico, chances are that Delirious wouldn't be Delirious in WWE. Same gimmick but different mask, different name. There's always the chance that he might get released after signing over his intellectual property, leaving him to perform as "D. Leerius" in the Indies alongside 'Ro-Z' and 'U-Gene.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Same number of ads, just different spacing. I remember on some old Raws were they would say "we're going to burn through a bunch of commercials so there aren't any during the main event." A more ad-savvy person could answer this better, but I believe the current format is so you'll stay with the channel during the commercial so you won't miss the match.

The current format was loudly complained about as soon as it was instituted only a few years ago, and it's still pretty bad if you're a person who likes wrestling, since half the time you miss a big spot. The other half of the time the heel just does a rest hold and they start going again after the break. Almost no match on Raw goes without commercial interruption unless it's a squash. Meanwhile they now devote twenty minutes a week to video packages.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The current format was loudly complained about as soon as it was instituted only a few years ago, and it's still pretty bad if you're a person who likes wrestling, since half the time you miss a big spot. The other half of the time the heel just does a rest hold and they start going again after the break. Almost no match on Raw goes without commercial interruption unless it's a squash. Meanwhile they now devote twenty minutes a week to video packages.

Yeah, the current format is poo poo. It's one of those little things that really shows how meticulously planned the show is, and it makes Raw look more like a TV show and less like a live sporting event. I don't really care one way or the other which one they want it to look like, but it seems like they go back and forth between the two a lot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

Yeah. Much like how Sidelico is now Hunico, chances are that Delirious wouldn't be Delirious in WWE. Same gimmick but different mask, different name. There's always the chance that he might get released after signing over his intellectual property, leaving him to perform as "D. Leerius" in the Indies alongside 'Ro-Z' and 'U-Gene.

That isn't the way it works. The WWE gets the rights to use your character while you are under contract and exploit it commercially. But if you are released you still hold the rights.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm currently reading the Death of WCW and my wife asked me if the guys who wrote it like anything, because it seems like all they do is poo poo on everything. They pretty much say everything sucked, except a few matches here and there but the over all product is terrible.

I also hear a lot of people hating on the current WWE stuff and it made me wonder, when was there a wrestling product that you could point to and say that's how it's done?

80's WWF: Squash Matches, not very competitive.
Early 90's WWF: Strong mid-card poo poo top card.
Late 90's WWF: Exact opposite
And 2001-2006: WWE doing everything WCW did wrong (pretty much what the book says)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spikeguy posted:

I also hear a lot of people hating on the current WWE stuff and it made me wonder, when was there a wrestling product that you could point to and say that's how it's done?

1997 WCW until Starrcade '97

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Spikeguy posted:

WWE 2000. The best year for wrestling TV and the one year where the writing from start to finish was top notch.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Lone Rogue posted:

1997 WCW until Starrcade '97

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Late 96-97 WCW really had tons of variety, with something for everyone.

Plus they didn't give a poo poo what the undercard did, so you had cruiserweights and technical wrestlers trying to steal the show. Oh and actual tag team feuds. And the nWo was still interesting and hadn't been run into the ground yet (even guys like DDP became huge just by taking part in nWo angles). It was a lot of fun even if you hated how Hogan was champion for the whole time except for the week Luger had the belt

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I'm currently reading the Death of WCW and my wife asked me if the guys who wrote it like anything, because it seems like all they do is poo poo on everything. They pretty much say everything sucked, except a few matches here and there but the over all product is terrible.

That's why it's not called the Life of WCW.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Ok, i see you guys posting about how Raw is PG now, no blood, no headshots with chairs and what not. When did this ruling come down? And why?

Is there a more expansive list of do's and don'ts somewhere?

I really have not watched wrestling in almost 10 years, but NXT made me watch the first show and I watched most of the last one but I dont like that there is NO WRESTLING....

edit: I'm Wade Barrett and I eat your Carrot!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Ok, i see you guys posting about how Raw is PG now, no blood, no headshots with chairs and what not. When did this ruling come down? And why?

Is there a more expansive list of do's and don'ts somewhere?

I really have not watched wrestling in almost 10 years, but NXT made me watch the first show and I watched most of the last one but I dont like that there is NO WRESTLING....

edit: I'm Wade Barrett and I eat your Carrot!

happened around the middle of 2008, and basically vince decided raw will be kid oriented. the no blood thing is really disruptive towards matches, but personally i got no problem with the other stuff.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Largely when Chris Benoit killed himself and his family, because Chris Benoit killed himself and his family.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

dusty udder smoker posted:

happened around the middle of 2008, and basically vince decided raw will be kid oriented. the no blood thing is really disruptive towards matches, but personally i got no problem with the other stuff.

John Cena pushed for it and quite a few people in the company were saying it was time to attract a younger fanbase to grow with the company again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I dislike that they'll interrupt matches not involving the Undertaker to patch up even tiny little accidental cuts, but I'm more than happy to see the back of bladejobs and unprotected head shots and I don't think anyone should be sad to see them gone.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jerusalem posted:

I dislike that they'll interrupt matches not involving the Undertaker to patch up even tiny little accidental cuts, but I'm more than happy to see the back of bladejobs and unprotected head shots and I don't think anyone should be sad to see them gone.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Delirious would get over HUGE in WWE and move a bunch of merch?

I want to say no, but Hurricane was pretty successful with kids. I think a Hurricane/Delirious fake superhero feud would have been loving huge with kids.

Good Listener posted:

It isn't WWE, this is just how television has changed. A half-hour program has around 8 minutes of commercials now.

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

Rosie and Eugene were names and gimmicks created for and owned by WWE. This is far from the same thing. The name changes for guys like Sidelico or Danielson are because WWE doesn't want to not own the rights, not the other way around

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Is there any commonly accepted name for that "bounce the guy off the ropes and yank him backwards to roll him up" move that Ricky Steamboat does around 1:03-1:09 here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nP2Sp3nRlk

Also, is that Mel Phillips the infamous foot fondler serving as timekeeper there around 2:42?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

Is there any commonly accepted name for that "bounce the guy off the ropes and yank him backwards to roll him up" move that Ricky Steamboat does around 1:03-1:09 here?

i believe it is known as the o'connor roll.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wait, I thought that was the Victory Roll? What's the Victory Roll?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

It isn't WWE, this is just how television has changed. A half-hour program has around 8 minutes of commercials now.

Half hour shows have always been 22 minutes and hour long shows 44-45. They've just been doing different thing with sitcoms recently like 4 shorter commercial breaks instead of 3 longer ones.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

when a wrestler is in Electric Chair position and rolls forward. See Owen/Bret from WM 10 for what i mean.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

projecthalaxy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABUO-62N5M

This, at least as far as I'm aware.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Hmm, apparently the O'Connor roll has also been called the rolling reverse cradle. (I just found an interview with Dutch Mantell that describes this pin of Lawler in 1982 by that name.)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I completely agree, and the stance is way easier to take when you look at TNA, which had at least eight bleeding wrestlers at Lockdown (I think most of them were hardway, but still), and there are a handful of guys that will still do unprotected headshots and bladejobs whenever they feel the need to.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

I have quite a few friends bitching about the ban of chair shots to the head and no more blade jobs.

They act as though pro wrestling is getting censored and the product they once loved is now being ripped of what made it "real".

It would be good to add that at least one of these guys is currently training to be a pro wrestler.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
I think PPV should allow blading, and maybe a few chairshots to build a feud.

What TNA does though is absolutely retarded. Literally someone bleeding and taking a prop to the head every other segment and match, TV and PPV.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What the hell is so bad about a blade job? As far as I know there's only a handful of wrestlers who have scarred themselves doing this, and even a smaller handful who have put themselves under significant health risk. There's times when it's over-used; I think about every other Triple H match in '03-'04 involved a blade job, but whatever.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What the hell is so bad about a blade job? As far as I know there's only a handful of wrestlers who have scarred themselves doing this, and even a smaller handful who have put themselves under significant health risk. There's times when it's over-used; I think about every other Triple H match in '03-'04 involved a blade job, but whatever.

See Brother Devon's forehead. Thats either too much blading or he got herpes from one too many WASUPS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcvPweW96nA
Luckily he didn't go the way of Flair and bleeds when the wind picks up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Blading, like anything else in wrestling aside from unprotected chair shots, is perfectly fine in moderation.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Blade jobs are pointless, but not really all that harmful compared to taking 1,000 flat back bumps a year. American wrestlers need to learn the lucha roll.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Theshby posted:

Blade jobs are pointless, but not really all that harmful compared to taking 1,000 flat back bumps a year. American wrestlers need to learn the lucha roll.
Blade jobs wouldn't be pointless if, like most other big deals in wrestling, there was only one every three months or so.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

LividLiquid posted:

Blade jobs wouldn't be pointless if, like most other big deals in wrestling, there was only one every three months or so.

I agree. There was a period in the Attitude era where at least one person was busted open per episode of Raw. But now you've got a Pay Per View called Extreme Rules coming up and oh god, someone's bleeding, stop the match! It really messes up the flow of the matches.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Writer Cath posted:

I agree. There was a period in the Attitude era where at least one person was busted open per episode of Raw. But now you've got a Pay Per View called Extreme Rules coming up and oh god, someone's bleeding, stop the match! It really messes up the flow of the matches.

I think we can all agree that stopping matches is distracting and pointless.

Or that they need to work out some spots of using it well (eg. heel makes the face bleed with an object when the ref is down, the ref comes back when the face is making a comeback, so the ref stops his momentum, and the heel gets to scheme and recover during this time).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Von Dozier posted:

I think PPV should allow blading, and maybe a few chairshots to build a feud.

What TNA does though is absolutely retarded. Literally someone bleeding and taking a prop to the head every other segment and match, TV and PPV.

The WWE should allow as many chairshots as the wrestlers want.

Just don't take them unprotected to the head. Put your arms up. Take it on the back. Or the chest. Or the shoulder. Or the leg. Or the ankle. Or the knee. Or the stomach. There's a zillion places to get smacked with a chair that won't give wrestlers concussions.

gently caress.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

The WWE should allow as many chairshots as the wrestlers want.

Just don't take them unprotected to the head. Put your arms up. Take it on the back. Or the chest. Or the shoulder. Or the leg. Or the ankle. Or the knee. Or the stomach. There's a zillion places to get smacked with a chair that won't give wrestlers concussions.

gently caress.

That's exactly what they're doing now. The ban isn't on chair shots-it's on unprotected shots to the head. Remember Batista murdering Cena with a chair a couple months ago? Or Bret Hart beating the gently caress out of Vince McMahon at WrestleMania?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

TL posted:

That's exactly what they're doing now. The ban isn't on chair shots-it's on unprotected shots to the head. Remember Batista murdering Cena with a chair a couple months ago? Or Bret Hart beating the gently caress out of Vince McMahon at WrestleMania?

While technically the ban is on "unprotected" chair shots to the head, it really means no chair shots to the head at all ever again. I'm going to miss the one man conchairto.