Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ServoMST3K posted:

What are some movies that really give a nice sense of weight and urgency to the use of firearms? A good number of films that involve hails of bullets don't tend to capture my attention. Also, I'd prefer less recommendations for war films, since I have a bunch of those on my list I need to watch anyway.

For reference, I've seen a fair chunk of the more popular action/adventure choices like Die Hard (which I actually thought handled the employment of guns very well, despite some scenes of heavy use) and most of the obvious films from the 80s, but not a whole bunch of independent films that involve guns in any meaningful way.

Two that come to mind are Reservoir Dogs and Road to Perdition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

ServoMST3K posted:

What are some movies that really give a nice sense of weight and urgency to the use of firearms? A good number of films that involve hails of bullets don't tend to capture my attention. Also, I'd prefer less recommendations for war films, since I have a bunch of those on my list I need to watch anyway.

Open Range with Costner and Duvall is pretty rock awesome when it gets to the gunslinging, IMO.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

ServoMST3K posted:

For reference, I've seen a fair chunk of the more popular action/adventure choices like Die Hard (which I actually thought handled the employment of guns very well, despite some scenes of heavy use) and most of the obvious films from the 80s, but not a whole bunch of independent films that involve guns in any meaningful way.
Children of Men. I watched it last night, and in Blu-Ray with the use of long takes and non-flashy special effects, it feels like a loving documentary about shootouts.

Or Man on Fire...because, y'know, a bullet always tells the truth. :dance:

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Awesome, I haven't checked out most of those yet. Thanks guys!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Seconding 'Open Range'. The use of firearms is sparingly used until the end and then it gets loving awesome (And loud).

Here's a question, though I'm clearly caring too much about a largely crappy film but the Hijack plot in 'Executive Decision' makes no loving sense. The ultimate plan is for the terrorists to release a Toxin over Washington and not only did they smuggle the toxins on board successfully but they also got on the Plane undetected. So why go through the whole charade of hiring thugs, smuggling guns on board and hijacking the Plane? It makes no sense other than giving a reason to get Russell and his team onboard. If they didn't go through all that, no one would've been wise to the toxin threat and the plan would've been successful. Again I don't know why that bothered me as much as it has. Still it leads to the funny story of Seagal refusing to come out of his trailer to film his final scenes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I probably sound like a broken record by now, but you really ought to check out some film noir. Most of them treat firearms very seriously, with all the weight and menace they merit.

edit: also Stray Dog sounds like exactly what you're looking for

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

I probably sound like a broken record by now, but you really ought to check out some film noir. Most of them treat firearms very seriously, with all the weight and menace they merit.

edit: also Stray Dog sounds like exactly what you're looking for

Noir is a fine choice, I agree. I really need to go revisit the genre, since the older classics were actually my first exposure to great cinema back in high school (RIP Film History Club :( ).

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

ServoMST3K posted:

Awesome, I haven't checked out most of those yet. Thanks guys!

Elephant is the first film I thought of, but that may not be the kind of film you're looking for. It's about a school shooting.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Guns are a really small part of the movie as a whole, but I really loved the scene in Seven where Brad Pitt's character tells a story about another police officer getting shot. It highlights the difference between what typically happens in movies, where characters often shrug off gunshot wounds, and what happens in real life.

Edit: Also someone mentioning Open Range also made me think of The Wild Bunch. Again, I don't know if it's what you want because there are definitely bullets flying everywhere, but those bullets tend to hit people with very graphic and realistic (for the time) results. It's definitely different from typical westerns that had tons of guys shooting at each other in a street with no one getting hit.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 18, 2010

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Elephant actually looks like something I'll definitely check out, I hadn't even heard of it before.

Kentucky Shark posted:

Edit: Also someone mentioning Open Range also made me think of The Wild Bunch. Again, I don't know if it's what you want because there are definitely bullets flying everywhere, but those bullets tend to hit people with very graphic and realistic (for the time) results. It's definitely different from typical westerns that had tons of guys shooting at each other in a street with no one getting hit.

What you described in The Wild Bunch is exactly what I'm looking for. I just tend to hate when films utilize enormous shootouts and the imminent danger doesn't really impact the maneuvering of the characters/ nobody ever seems to get hit in the hail of bullets. I'll have to add your rec to my list, thanks!

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

ServoMST3K posted:

Taxi Driver.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What was Nikki (blonde girl, the original dispatcher) and Jason Bourne's relationship in the Bourne series? I thought they were married and they were gunna drop that bomb in the little cafe scene they share where he asks why she is helping him. Her reply was something along the lines of " Its was always difficult for me with you". We're they like sleeping together? dating? she just wants on his D?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Waroduce posted:

What was Nikki (blonde girl, the original dispatcher) and Jason Bourne's relationship in the Bourne series? I thought they were married and they were gunna drop that bomb in the little cafe scene they share where he asks why she is helping him. Her reply was something along the lines of " Its was always difficult for me with you". We're they like sleeping together? dating? she just wants on his D?

Haven't seen the movies in a while, nor have I read the books (which I understand have very little to do with the movies, so that may not matter anyway), but as far as I remember they just imply in The Bourne Ultimatum that she and Bourne used to be involved romantically. It's not really filled out more than the scene you mentioned, though there may be undercurrents of it in other scenes in the films that I don't remember.

ServoMST3K posted:

What you described in The Wild Bunch is exactly what I'm looking for. I just tend to hate when films utilize enormous shootouts and the imminent danger doesn't really impact the maneuvering of the characters/ nobody ever seems to get hit in the hail of bullets. I'll have to add your rec to my list, thanks!

Definitely check it out...even if it's not exactly what you are looking for, it's one of the absolute best westerns ever made and finds a place on a lot of all-time best lists. There's definitely enormous shootouts which sometimes border on over-the-top, but the film was controversial at the time because it didn't have the clean, sterilized violence people expected from westerns.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 19, 2010

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kentucky Shark posted:

nor have I read the books

They don't have anything to do with the movie. They're really good though. Check them out. But other than the name they are almost completely unrelated to the movies. Carlos the jackal is heavily involved in the plot line of the books.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Waroduce posted:

I just always assumed it was just a personal connection. Not necessarily romantic or even sexual tension, she had just worked with him so long she had difficulty treating him like a weapon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Unbreakable has a great scene with a handgun where it feels incredibly tense and dangerous without firing a shot. Granted, that's probably the only scene with a gun in the whole movie, but it's a pretty cool movie anyways.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In Young Guns, when they are down by the river, there is the following exchange:

Billy (to McCloskey): Hey! I saw that!
Charlie: What, Billy? What did you see?
Billy: He knows what I just saw.

It is one of my favorite movies and I've watched it many times, but I'll be damned if I'm perceptive enough to catch what Billy saw. Did he actually see anything, or did he have other knowledge that McCloskey was a Murphy spy? It just doesn't seem to be his character to execute somebody based on a hunch, so he must have seen or known something.

Also, from way back on page 22 or so. Somebody was wondering about the name of the styrofoam packing peanut room in The 4th Floor. "Portcullis" was what it was referred to in the movie.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

SkunkDuster posted:

In Young Guns, when they are down by the river, there is the following exchange:

Billy (to McCloskey): Hey! I saw that!
Charlie: What, Billy? What did you see?
Billy: He knows what I just saw.

It is one of my favorite movies and I've watched it many times, but I'll be damned if I'm perceptive enough to catch what Billy saw. Did he actually see anything, or did he have other knowledge that McCloskey was a Murphy spy? It just doesn't seem to be his character to execute somebody based on a hunch, so he must have seen or known something.

I haven't seen the movie for awhile, but right after McCloskey makes a suggestion counter to what the gang is thinking is the best plan, he makes a sidelong glance at the Murphy posse member that they've got guns pointed on. The glance isn't much but it's definitely a "don't worry, I'll get you out of this" type glance. There was also some speculation all along that McCloskey may have been a spy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Butthole Prince posted:

I haven't seen the movie for awhile, but right after McCloskey makes a suggestion counter to what the gang is thinking is the best plan, he makes a sidelong glance at the Murphy posse member that they've got guns pointed on. The glance isn't much but it's definitely a "don't worry, I'll get you out of this" type glance. There was also some speculation all along that McCloskey may have been a spy.

That makes sense. I remember the look, but didn't catch the significance. The way you put it would explain it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ServoMST3K posted:

I like the way guns are handled in Way of the Gun. The shoot outs don't have anyone doing stupid poo poo just because it looks cool. Early on there is a standoff in a hospital lobby with a bunch of people looking at them and Ryan Philippe yells "can't you people see there are guns here," just sort of annoyed at people not taking them seriously and leaving. I'm not someone who usually notices major mistakes that movies make, like cocking guns multiple times in a row, but to my lay eyes it looked like a very accurate portrayal.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Is there a thread for Triangle? I searched and couldn't find anything. If not, does anyone know of a decent analysis/discussion anywhere?

What I'm really looking for is something like someone made for (serious plot spoiler do not mouse over if there's even a chance you'll ever catch this movie) Primer?

I'm hesitant to start talking about it here, because it's the kind of movie you should see without watching the trailers or even reading any reviews. But I might start a thread about it if other people want to get it out of this thread.

2xSlick
Feb 9, 2010
Here's a question that's been bothering me for over a decade. What was the point of the Live Fire Exercise from Men in Black? Was Will Smith supposed to shoot the alien targets? On the surface, it seems like such a basic test. Since everyone there was either Military or Police trained, I don't see anyone washing out if that was all it scored. It would make more sense if it was set up to be some sort of judgment call considering their job as peacekeepers and not alien exterminators. Rip Torn seemed so flabbergasted that someone didn't shoot the aliens on sight, considering that the job isn't to shoot aliens on sight. Were they that ticked off he shot the kid? And what's the deal with circus peanuts? They don't come from the circus and they're not nuts.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Return to Oz is awesome. :colbert:

I almost like it better than Wizard of Oz. Almost.

You'll get no complaints from me. Though I preferred Savini's Night of the Dead to Romero's so my opinions might be irrelevant.

ServoMST3K posted:

You should definitely check out History of Violence, the film revolves around just what sort of effect guns have on people. You might also like Death Sentence. Nice little revenge film with Kevin Bacon filling in for Charles Bronson. Movie's got some great shotgun fu.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

Is there a thread for Triangle? I searched and couldn't find anything. If not, does anyone know of a decent analysis/discussion anywhere?

What I'm really looking for is something like someone made for (serious plot spoiler do not mouse over if there's even a chance you'll ever catch this movie) Primer?

I'm hesitant to start talking about it here, because it's the kind of movie you should see without watching the trailers or even reading any reviews. But I might start a thread about it if other people want to get it out of this thread.
Triangle was an extremely pleasant surprise, and makes a great double-feature with Timecrimes.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Okay guys I've got a question about Reservoir Dogs and it's about a scene at the end. How did Eddie get shot when no one was aiming a gun at him? Also, how come Mr. Orange is still living after having been shot twice?
By the way, is it just me or am I the only one that doesn't "get" Tarantino? Overrated is the wrong word to use here. I did not understand the point of Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Basterds. Or was there nothing to get about those movies?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Tarantino takes ideas, concepts, scenes, plots, songs etc.... He likes and regurgitates them into his own thing with varying levels of sucsess etc.. Everything else is secondary, but there is usually a little more under the surface too, such as Inglorious Bastards being a movie about Jews killing Nazis (instead of the other way around)

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

Trying to make sure I'm adding the right movie to my Netflix queue...you're talking about the 2009 movie set in the Bermuda Triangle I assume?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Kentucky Shark posted:

Trying to make sure I'm adding the right movie to my Netflix queue...you're talking about the 2009 movie set in the Bermuda Triangle I assume?
That's the one.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Kentucky Shark posted:

Yes. The UK one with Melissa George. There will be reviews right on that netflix page that you don't want to read, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

2xSlick posted:

Here's a question that's been bothering me for over a decade. What was the point of the Live Fire Exercise from Men in Black? Was Will Smith supposed to shoot the alien targets? On the surface, it seems like such a basic test. Since everyone there was either Military or Police trained, I don't see anyone washing out if that was all it scored. It would make more sense if it was set up to be some sort of judgment call considering their job as peacekeepers and not alien exterminators. Rip Torn seemed so flabbergasted that someone didn't shoot the aliens on sight, considering that the job isn't to shoot aliens on sight. Were they that ticked off he shot the kid? And what's the deal with circus peanuts? They don't come from the circus and they're not nuts.

The various tests to join were all designed to check outside the box thinking. Like the written test wasn't supposed to actually check how smart you were but if you were willing to move the table to complete the test. While the shooting gallery was to test observational skills to see if they'd just shoot any alien on sight.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Also the aliens were all working out or sneezing and the girl was some kind of evil genius alien.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

2xSlick posted:

Here's a question that's been bothering me for over a decade. What was the point of the Live Fire Exercise from Men in Black? Was Will Smith supposed to shoot the alien targets? On the surface, it seems like such a basic test. Since everyone there was either Military or Police trained, I don't see anyone washing out if that was all it scored. It would make more sense if it was set up to be some sort of judgment call considering their job as peacekeepers and not alien exterminators. Rip Torn seemed so flabbergasted that someone didn't shoot the aliens on sight, considering that the job isn't to shoot aliens on sight. Were they that ticked off he shot the kid?

They wanted to make sure he had the right lateral, cockeyed thought process to deal with situations like that. And, sure enough, all the weird-looking aliens he meets in the rest of the movie are friendly and the evil alien looks like a human.

quote:

And what's the deal with circus peanuts? They don't come from the circus and they're not nuts.

Those are clown spores.

vvvvvvvv I guess Rip wanted to make sure he could justify it, and had done it for a sound reason?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 21, 2010

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think his point, though, is that Rip Torn's reaction made it seem like he gave the wrong response. It was unclear whether it was a straightforward test or a judgment test.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, can someone explain the opera sequence in Quantum of Solace? I was, and still am, confused about the part where they herd a bunch of street clothes people into a cage and a bunch of uniformed guys proceed to shoot them from above. I was ridiculed in the QoS thread for "not understanding Opera" for asking it, but, it still confuses me. To me, it looks like the Quantum members are witnessing an execution that is masked as part of the opera, but the opera clearly shows costumed people in a stylized set, and the shooting seems to involve normal people. I can only conclude that this is how Quantum deals with people that stand in their way.

Or is this a part of the Opera?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think his point, though, is that Rip Torn's reaction made it seem like he gave the wrong response. It was unclear whether it was a straightforward test or a judgment test.

Yeah, Z clearly didn't approve, but accepted him on K's word. I think J was only invited because of his physical stamina and because he had no family.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, can someone explain the opera sequence in Quantum of Solace? I was, and still am, confused about the part where they herd a bunch of street clothes people into a cage and a bunch of uniformed guys proceed to shoot them from above. I was ridiculed in the QoS thread for "not understanding Opera" for asking it, but, it still confuses me. To me, it looks like the Quantum members are witnessing an execution that is masked as part of the opera, but the opera clearly shows costumed people in a stylized set, and the shooting seems to involve normal people. I can only conclude that this is how Quantum deals with people that stand in their way.

Or is this a part of the Opera?

It's part of the opera. It parallels how Bond got them all in the same place at the same time and took pictures of their faces or something.

edit: I guess I shoulda spoilered that.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Whitey posted:

I haven't seen MIB in years so I can't remember if Torn's character had done exams before, but maybe it was a double-blind test?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's part of the opera. It parallels how Bond got them all in the same place at the same time and took pictures of their faces or something.

edit: I guess I shoulda spoilered that.

Okay, that makes sense. As I said, in the QoS thread I got "Lol! You don't know about opera? Loser!".

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

Just finished watching it on Netflix. I can't say much about it without a big block of spoiled text, so here goes:

The movie seemed to be going in a pretty predictable path up until the last 20 minutes or so, especially because I've already seen Timecrimes and this follows almost exactly the same pattern. It's a little more ambiguous than Timecrimes was though, and I'm not sure if that's an intentional choice or there were some decisions made in editing that interrupted the flow...basically, the movie seems to follow the same "version" of Jess for the entire time. But there are still a few scenes we are never given an explanation for (the Jess that takes her mask off and murders Downey and Sally is never explained, and later we seem to see that same Jess killed in a different death scene, etc.), which seems impossible because the time loop apparently completes itself with Jess re-boarding the boat at the end.

Overall I thought it was pretty good, but the things I mentioned above feel like they add unnecessary ambiguity to the plot. One of the things I enjoy about films like this is the ingenuity they show in creating really intricate scenarios and showing how they happen piece by piece, so I wasn't a big fan of the loose ends here. I will say the end managed to surprise me when I thought I had the story all figured out at least. I guess a lot of the issues I mentioned are dealt with on the director's commentary on the DVD (the FAQ page on IMDb discusses this a bit), so that might be worth checking out if you want some more discussion of it.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Contra Calculus posted:

Okay guys I've got a question about Reservoir Dogs and it's about a scene at the end. How did Eddie get shot when no one was aiming a gun at him? Also, how come Mr. Orange is still living after having been shot twice?

Didn't see this answered yet, but the story goes that the squib on Eddie went off too soon, but Harvey Keitel was supposed to have shot him also. And Mr. Orange is still living after being shot twice because movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, that makes sense. As I said, in the QoS thread I got "Lol! You don't know about opera? Loser!".

Well to be fair that was because you would not shut up about how it couldn't possibly be just a part of the opera.