Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

You two will drive away on Dual-Sports, but instead of dragging cans behind you the DRZ will be dropping random bits off.

Synchronized wheelies!

We'd better go practice! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Wonder Weapon posted:

My bike (98 CBR600) has, for some reason a seat that is bolted on.

All 3 of my Hondas have bolted on seats. :suicide: (So does the Suzuki, but that's a different deal.)

Z3n posted:

My vote is that I go down the aisle while doing a rolling burnout.

I don't think it's going to go over so well, but gently caress them, it's my day! :haw:

I take it she said yes?

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 19, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

I take it she said yes?

Actually, she just stood there waiting for me to fumble the ring out of the little bag I had it in. Now the whole box thing totally makes sense.

And then she said "the ring turned out nice!", and then she said yes. (She had actually designed the ring, it used diamonds from her (widowed) mom's wedding band and her great-grandmother's wedding band).

We're pretty much the worst couple ever. :v:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Actually, she just stood there waiting for me to fumble the ring out of the little bag I had it in. Now the whole box thing totally makes sense.

And then she said "the ring turned out nice!", and then she said yes. (She had actually designed the ring, it used diamonds from her (widowed) mom's wedding band and her great-grandmother's wedding band).

We're pretty much the worst couple ever. :v:

i'd go to your wedding! Hopefully my bike and I can make the 200 mileish trip (btw can you clean and sync my GS500 carbs while i'm down there for 20cents an hour?)

Maybe i'll buy a finished project if you had one.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
There definitely needs to be a primarily two-wheeled procession.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

i'd go to your wedding! Hopefully my bike and I can make the 200 mileish trip (btw can you clean and sync my GS500 carbs while i'm down there for 20cents an hour?)

Maybe i'll buy a finished project if you had one.

I don't even want to think about planning a wedding yet, I have a whole summer of traveling and poo poo to get through first.

And it's very generous of you to offer 2x the going rate for shade tree mechanics...:v:

sirbeefalot posted:

There definitely needs to be a primarily two-wheeled procession.

It's gonna be great when I get arrested on my wedding day for pulling wheelies. Or run into the car carrying the grandparents, or something similarly embarrassing. :xd:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I managed to swing a motorcycle themed cake for our rehearsal dinner, thats as much as I could do. I did however close the deal on my RD350 sale literally 10 minutes before I walked down the aisle.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
MY WIFE and I took the ST down to Camp Wood this weekend to ride the Three Sisters. Girl on girl on girl on girl on guy action? Not quite, although that would be pretty rad too.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/SouthWest/TX/TX_3.shtml

Highway 16 from Medina to Kerrville is really nice too - lots of sharp curves, lots of elevation changes.

If you are in Texas and haven't been out here, you really should go. Like, now, while the weather is still nice, things are still green and there are flowers all over. It was 70*, partly to mostly cloudy all weekend, light breezes... really just great riding weather. The ST handled the technical parts of the roads wonderfully and still gave me 40+ mpg the entire trip loaded two up with all our poo poo packed into the hardbags.

Granted, I wasn't pushing super fast or anything, I just kept focusing on making clean, smooth, stable lines and transitions through the turns. But I never once felt like I was nearing the bike's limits or felt like I was fighting the weight of the bike through the switchbacks. We had a blast, and will be back to ride the area again as soon as we're able to.

When you go, PLEASE be careful. These roads are not to be taken lightly - we assisted at one accident on 336 Saturday and our friends helped at another where the rider lost his life Sunday on 337. If you go off the road, you're either hitting the rocky side of the mountain or you're going over the guardrail and down the side of the cliff. Dial back a notch or two, take in some of the scenery, and enjoy the ride.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

ohwandernearer posted:

Poking around the internets today revealed to me this comical contraption:

The Viberider
https://www.viberider.com

From what I can tell this is a harley-guy invention. I'm terribly baffled/amused by its existence--has anyone encountered one of these personally? At 130 clams its a little steep for a gag gift but...man...somebody made this thing.

EDIT: Probably NWS anywhere strict--use your discretion.

I love the movie title "2 Drunk Bitches"

Also I think it was somewhere on Ca someone was talking about a garden hose cut in half under the pillion seat. Which would seem to be efficient enough providing your engine goes over 6k rpm.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My wedding had motorcycles

Afterwards I did wheelies and rode around town in my suit. Its very hard to get the front wheel of a 70's UJM up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

My vote is that I go down the aisle while doing a rolling burnout.

I don't think it's going to go over so well, but gently caress them, it's my day! :haw:

Just have everyone in the wedding in full leathers. We tried to get my friend to do it but his wife said no. I still showed up in full leathers with a tie and suit jacket. He loved it, she was pissed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I just ordered some Tech Spec for my Ninja 250. Did I do good or am I going to hate life?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

8ender posted:

My wedding had motorcycles

Afterwards I did wheelies and rode around town in my suit. Its very hard to get the front wheel of a 70's UJM up.

Reminds me of the red spy from TF2.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

You know you've found a good motorcycle forum when several of the members have had motorcycles in their goddamn weddings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I just ordered some Tech Spec for my Ninja 250. Did I do good or am I going to hate life?

Did good. I loved me some stomp grips but had to give them up after I discovered they were ripping up my leathers. Tech specs are 95% as good in helping you stick to the tank without the damage to your gear.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Raven457 posted:

picture

That looks like a nice ride. That definitely going on my list right after checking out that suspension bridge near Goldthwaite.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Did good. I loved me some stomp grips but had to give them up after I discovered they were ripping up my leathers. Tech specs are 95% as good in helping you stick to the tank without the damage to your gear.

I didn't order the tank pad part because I don't want my crotch to stick to the tank.

...or do I?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Lots of motorcycle themed marrying going on up in here.

Congrats on the future marryin' Z3N.

I'm going to be up in Torrance for work in a few weeks, I'll have to ride a bit further North and buy you guys some congratulatory beer and pizza.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

Lots of motorcycle themed marrying going on up in here.

Congrats on the future marryin' Z3N.

I'm going to be up in Torrance for work in a few weeks, I'll have to ride a bit further North and buy you guys some congratulatory beer and pizza.

Thanks! It'd be awesome to meet up and hang out again, you'd be welcome to have a go on the DRZ if you're interested :)

frozenphil posted:

I didn't order the tank pad part because I don't want my crotch to stick to the tank.

...or do I?

The tank pad part is more for when you're hanging off...it gives your leg something to grip to on the tank.

As to sticking your crotch to the tank, well, that's between you and your bike.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

The tank pad part is more for when you're hanging off...it gives your leg something to grip to on the tank.

As track riding isn't in my near future I was right not to order it. If I find myself hanging off on the street to the extent that I need extra grip from such a device I'll probably sell the bike so as to prevent my untimely death.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

Thanks! It'd be awesome to meet up and hang out again, you'd be welcome to have a go on the DRZ if you're interested :)

Ah, never did ride a sumo before. I think I just might be interested in taking it for a spin.
I'll shoot you a PM when I'm going to be up that way. I'll be at American Honda all week dicking around in the training center. I'll have to sneak into the bike part and take some pics. The one in Atlanta had a cutaway NR750 motor on a stand which was super excellent to poke at.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

As track riding isn't in my near future I was right not to order it. If I find myself hanging off on the street to the extent that I need extra grip from such a device I'll probably sell the bike so as to prevent my untimely death.

Oh come on, it's a new rider rite of passage to hang off like a monkey at 1/3rd of the speed limit through corners.

Bugdrvr posted:

Ah, never did ride a sumo before. I think I just might be interested in taking it for a spin.
I'll shoot you a PM when I'm going to be up that way. I'll be at American Honda all week dicking around in the training center. I'll have to sneak into the bike part and take some pics. The one in Atlanta had a cutaway NR750 motor on a stand which was super excellent to poke at.

Cool, yeah...just lemme know. I've got work m-f 8-5, and weekends are hit or miss for me. You're also welcome to just drop in and grab the bike and ride it around while I'm at work if you feel so inclined, or maybe I could duck out early. We'll figure something out.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

drop in and grab the bike and ride it around while I'm at work

He does leave the keys in the ignition from time to time...

I totally did the same thing when I rode to work the first time... Good thing I work in a small shop and was able to get poo poo for it before it was stolen.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 20, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

He does leave the keys in the ignition from time to time...

I totally did the same thing when I rode to work the first time... Good thing I work in a small shop and was able to get poo poo for it before it was stolen.

I really need to get a couple of spares for the DRZ made on the way home. :sigh:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Raven457 posted:

three sisters trip stuff

How long did this trip take? I'm thinking about taking my car out there (my new project bike won't be ride-able for awhile) but I imagine it's something like a 9 hour trip, just wondering how long it took yall, so I can go out and do this.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Bugdrvr posted:

I rode Bunway's black DRZ down to get gas while I was there. Never had so much fun (and terror - "Do not drop this. Do not wheelie this to death. Do not drop this.") and riding on the sidewalk(!) packed into such a short space. Well worth it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Korwen posted:

I'm thinking about taking my car out there (my new project bike won't be ride-able for awhile) but I imagine it's something like a 9 hour trip, just wondering how long it took yall, so I can go out and do this.

From Austin to Camp Wood took us about 5hrs, but we stopped a few times to top off the tank and stretch. Count on taking at least 4 hrs or so to hit all the stuff in the area:

335 between 41 and camp Wood
336 between 41 and Leakey
337 from Camp Wood to Medina
16 from Medina to Kerrville
39 from Kerrville to US83

It's a pretty long haul for a one day trip if you're coming from far away. Keep your tank topped off and make sure your spare is ready to use, as cellular coverage can be pretty spotty out there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The more I work on my bike, the more I want to pull a James May and pull it completely apart and go to town with the cleaning solvent and some small brushes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Chris Knight posted:

The more I work on my bike, the more I want to pull a James May and pull it completely apart and go to town with the cleaning solvent and some small brushes.

Some day, I will do that to a bike. This I swear.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which Top Gear was that?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

Which Top Gear was that?
It was on the Hornby Trains episode of his Toy Stories show. He's in a pub with a pint, his original locomotive, and some very small brushes.

EDIT: also there was the Top Gear episode with the 1000 Pound Alfas (Series 11, Ep. 3)

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 21, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Is there some reason I'm missing as to why every motorcycle ad mentions that the crash damage was from a previous owner? Do people think anyone really cares who crashed the bike vs whether or not it has been crashed?

While you mull that over, here's Conway Twitty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1fX-FvKW8

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
So I just got an oil analysis back on my KLR from blackstone. Everything looked good except aluminum was high. They want me to change at 1500 miles to get out excess metal and go from there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

frozenphil posted:

Is there some reason I'm missing as to why every motorcycle ad mentions that the crash damage was from a previous owner? Do people think anyone really cares who crashed the bike vs whether or not it has been crashed?

Maybe so they can show that they took good care of the bike while it was in their possession. Meaning keeping up on oil changes and poo poo. As if having the bike crashed means you didn't care for it mechanically.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
crap. it started me at page 1. ignore this.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

My inner squid is calling for a super sport of some type. I'm not sure if I can hold out much longer.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

frozenphil posted:

My inner squid is calling for a super sport of some type. I'm not sure if I can hold out much longer.

See if you can find a way to try one out for a day or two. I tried a YZF and actually didn't like it very much for street riding. Sure it had absolutely absurd power but the riding position was brutal, it was really touchy about keeping the rpms up, and the throttle was insanely sensitive.

I felt like I had to be too careful with the bike. If you want to stay somewhat within the law then the bike is always in the misery zone for gearing and torque. I never really had an opportunity to make the bike happy outside of passing cars on the highway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, shop around and ride a few before you pull the trigger. I felt my GSXR was completely wasted on the street. You could only ever get to 50% if you valued your life and your license.

I'm much happier with my Bandit, and the power is much more street friendly.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Realistically I'll pick up a second gen SV650. Although there is a 2008 Bandit 1200 with abs for like $4k in my local craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

Realistically I'll pick up a second gen SV650. Although there is a 2008 Bandit 1200 with abs for like $4k in my local craigslist.

Despite the inability to use the majority of the capability on the street, theres definitely something to be said about riding a bike with more horsepower than my first couple cars. 0-100mph in about 4 seconds on something you're basically hanging onto is an indescribable experience.

Its not something I'd recommend for a daily riding commuter bike or anything, but everyone should ride/own a ridiculously overpowered motorcycle at some point.