Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I know a lot of people have said this, but Jesus Christ, $2.50!? Yoink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
Bought it today. When I played it using Direct3D I was having some speed issues, but I set it to software rendering and it's fine now.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I remember playing these when they first came out but its been so long and my attention span back then was slim to none so I'm excited to replay these again.

For anyone who hasn't bought these two games from the Steam deal, what the gently caress are you waiting for? $2.50 a game is a steal for a game like this.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

uncleKitchener posted:

That's what you get when you create a Subtractive map in Unreal Editor. lovely poo poo poo poo. You'll see a lot of those in some corners once you get to NY.
It has nothing to do with the map being Subtractive. They actively set that surface to nodraw to save on performance, because they didn't expect anybody to see it. Also, back when IW was made, with the Unreal 2 engine, there wasn't an Additive-based mode in Ued. That was added for Unreal 3 and on.
I still prefer working with Subtraction, though. :colbert:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

elzergone posted:

Provided you are talking about custom shaders, and not cum shaders, I am interested in this. Got a link?

They're more or less "cum shaders". Some of the Bloom and lighting additions look kind of nice, but it literally covers most of the textures with randomly generated jizz.

K-On! Season 2
Jan 1, 2010

by Fistgrrl

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I got both the DX10 renderer and the "run Deus Ex on modern systems" utility, no luck. It still crashes as soon as it launches, and if I run it in safe mode it works for about a minute and then it freezes and then:

Click here for the full 1208x499 image.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, going with and without shifter, no luck. And it's weird because the first time I downloaded and installed it it was fine, it was only after I saved and quit and came back alter that it happened. :psyduck:

I ran into this and the solution for me (server 2k8 r2, basically win7) was to add DeusEx.exe to the DEP whitelist.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I remember getting this with a Radeon 9000 card when I build myself a machine back in 2003, I mainly used the machine for audio editing so the game was never installed until late 2005 at which point I realised I'd wasted a lot of time playing Final Fantasy when I could have been blowing up civvies in Deus Ex

Texture updates would be nice to have, and lets face it the voice acting for most of the characters could be improved, just keep JC's dialog.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

illectro posted:

I remember getting this with a Radeon 9000 card when I build myself a machine back in 2003, I mainly used the machine for audio editing so the game was never installed until late 2005 at which point I realised I'd wasted a lot of time playing Final Fantasy when I could have been blowing up civvies in Deus Ex

Texture updates would be nice to have, and lets face it the voice acting for most of the characters could be improved, just keep JC's dialog.

While we're at it, scrap the entire catacombs level. Yeesh.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Le Sean posted:

Yes, let's keep the settings to offices and industrial levels. Those aren't played out at all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Le Sean posted:

I liked it because it was an homage to Ultima Underground, much like how the underwater base was an homage to System Shock and the cathedral was an homage to Thief.

K-On! Season 2 posted:

I ran into this and the solution for me (server 2k8 r2, basically win7) was to add DeusEx.exe to the DEP whitelist.

Yeah, that fixed it, it works perfectly now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jellymouth posted:

I know a lot of people have said this, but Jesus Christ, $2.50!? Yoink!

buy the game or JC will come to your house to crush your spirit with a laconic one liner.

almostfearless
Aug 1, 2003

Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I liked it because it was an homage to Ultima Underground, much like how the underwater base was an homage to System Shock and the cathedral was an homage to Thief.
Kind of a pedantic correction, but it's Ultima Underworld. (Though I too really enjoyed the System Shock vibe in the Underwater Lab)

vvv whooo what a typo

almostfearless fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 21, 2010

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LAWLandMine posted:

I remember playing these when they first came out but its been so long and my attention span back then was slim to none so I'm excited to replay these again.

For anyone who hasn't bought these two games from the Steam deal, what the gently caress are you waiting for? $2.50 a game is a steal for a game like this.

I'll stick to my release day boxed copy thank you very much.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

etalian posted:

buy the game or JC will come to your house to crush your spirit with a laconic one liner.

"I don't have time for games."

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

BattleMaster posted:

I'll stick to my release day boxed copy thank you very much.

I have that one too. I remember having to convince my mom that I was old enough to play it. God I miss those huge boxes with a tiny cd case in them. I was so upset this winter when I went home and couldn't find the actual CD, just the box taunting me from my closet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Penguingo posted:

"I don't have time for games."

maybe you should try getting a job

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Red Crown posted:

Requesting thread title change, Deus Ex: What a shame.
Is this like a real catchphrase now? Has my dumb youtube video taken on a life of its own?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

almostfearless posted:

Ultimate Underworld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Underworld:_The_Stygian_Abyss

:goonsay:

Infurnus
Nov 4, 2009

I challenge you to a DEADMATCH, where we will fight... TO THE DEAD!

Linguica posted:

Is this like a real catchphrase now? Has my dumb youtube video taken on a life of its own?

Yes. What a shame.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I found a corrupt executive who offered to pay me off. I took his money then shot him twice in the head. This is among the best 2.50 I've spent in a long time

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Is there a way to aquire this game and make it playable on Windows 7?

I remember playing it back when I was like 8 or 9 years old and I could never get past something like the 2nd floor. Now that I've been reminded of its existence, I'd like to give it another go.

Anybody have any ideas about how to do that?

VVV Thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

GreatGreen posted:

Is there a way to aquire this game and make it playable on Windows 7?

I remember playing it back when I was like 8 or 9 years old and I could never get past something like the 2nd floor. Now that I've been reminded of its existence, I'd like to give it another go.

Anybody have any ideas about how to do that?

http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/193

http://www.dosbox.com/

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Even though I just reinstalled DX earlier this week and have my disk sitting in front of me, I'm tempted to take advantage of the Steam offer just so I won't have to worry about keeping track of the disk. I had IW briefly (bought it used and immediately traded it back in because it made me want to cry it was so terrible a sequel to my favorite game of all time), but never made it past the first level or so. Is there any reason I shouldn't take advantage of the Steam offer?

Specifically, I'm thinking of the utility from the OP that I downloaded to make sure it runs smoothly on my modern system. Having the Steam version shouldn't mess with mods and such, should it?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Geekboy posted:

Having the Steam version shouldn't mess with mods and such, should it?

Nope! DX mods run just fine with the Steam version.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Thanks. I'm about to be $5 poorer.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
I've installed the new DX10 renderer linked in the OP and love the new lighting + AA/AF, however as soon as I threw New Vision into the mix, some surfaces like the wooden docks and floor of the satcom shed on liberty island have this shiny striped pink glare effect over them when viewed at a distance. It's like a ring of pink in a 20 foot radius around me. I suspect it's some normal DX10 shader going awry when forced to work on these new textures. The problem does not appear when I switch to the enhanced OpenGL renderer that comes with New Vision, but I really don't want to use that.

Is anyone else using this combo of DX10 + New Vision on Windows 7 x64? Also failing finding a working solution for DX10, where can I find the enhanced DX9 renderer, as the default one plays extremely choppy.

Last and also least, when starting the game I will get bizarrely garbled audio around 50% of the time. Not choppy sounding, as with the CPU timing issues others have experienced. It sounds more like they've been put through some weird filter. It's not a huge issue as I can always just restart when it happens, but I'm curious to see if anyone has ever found a solution or even a cause.

Zalb
Oct 12, 2009

Who do you think you ARE?
The greatest poster to ever grace the internet with your PRESENCE?!

Linguica posted:

Apparently so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0a1SOLnhQg&feature=related

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

almostfearless posted:

Kind of a pedantic correction, but it's Ultimate Underworld. (Though I too really enjoyed the System Shock vibe in the Underwater Lab)

Yeah, silly me. :doh:

Looking at it this way it's almost like Deus Ex was to the FPS/RPG/stealth hybrid what Once Upon A Time In The West was to westerns: something that came around at the end of the genre's popularity, looked back on what had come before it, and crafted a love-letter that ended up being better the peak of the genre.

Now if only gaming could get around to making the FPS/RPG/stealth hybrid equivalent of Unforgiven! :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Linguica posted:

Yes

Also, like 60% of internet memes are generated by goons (or 4 chan). Weird.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Looking at it this way it's almost like Deus Ex was to the FPS/RPG/stealth hybrid
Was that really a "genre"? Or even a "thing"?

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Stump Truck posted:

I have that one too. I remember having to convince my mom that I was old enough to play it. God I miss those huge boxes with a tiny cd case in them. I was so upset this winter when I went home and couldn't find the actual CD, just the box taunting me from my closet.

I have the CD.. along with the ad for Anachronox on the back (also an awesome game), but no case :( I don't have any cases for my old games because when I was a kid my mother never let me keep the cases because they were 'a waste of space'. :suicide:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Red Crown posted:

I found a corrupt executive who offered to pay me off. I took his money then shot him twice in the head. This is among the best 2.50 I've spent in a long time

when in doubt whip GEP Gun out for silent takedown.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

etalian posted:

when in doubt whip GEP Gun out for silent takedown.

Remember, a headshot is a lethal takedown. Especially when it's a rocket.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I have the CD.. along with the ad for Anachronox on the back (also an awesome game), but no case :( I don't have any cases for my old games because when I was a kid my mother never let me keep the cases because they were 'a waste of space'. :suicide:

All I've got is the CD case and the disc itself. I never had a box; I picked Deus Ex up in a Radio Shack bargain bin for ten dollars. That was a long-rear end time ago, too, probably not long after it came out. Easily the best deal I've ever gotten on a game.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I tried to D/L the graphical improvement pack after buying this game on steam but I'm not sure where to put it? I don't have a deus ex folder, just the steam one?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SilkyP posted:

I tried to D/L the graphical improvement pack after buying this game on steam but I'm not sure where to put it? I don't have a deus ex folder, just the steam one?

steam/steamapps/common, should be in there

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Geekboy posted:

Thanks. I'm about to be $5 poorer.

No, you're about to transform a measly five dollars into a fountain of joy and awesomeness.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

No, you're about to transform a measly five dollars into a fountain of joy and awesomeness.

Well, since I owned the good game already, it's more that I'm paying $5 for a no CD crack on a game I already own and a terrible one I'm going to play anyway.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Does the Cassandra Project not work with Steam, or is there some sort of a workaround I need? Every time I try to run it, it can't find Cassandra.exe . Tried reinstalling, nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marund posted:

Remember, a headshot is a lethal takedown. Especially when it's a rocket.

WP Rocket= Greatest