Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

crime fighting hog posted:

Earlier today I saw a bumper sticker that said "UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU TO SPEAK ENGLISH". I'll never understand this argument that you must know English if you wish to live and work in America. All of the anger for dialing one to continue, I just don't get it.

They're freaked out about other languages because they just know those Spanish-speaking wetbacks are planning to rob them.:bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Earlier today I saw a bumper sticker that said "UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU TO SPEAK ENGLISH". I'll never understand this argument that you must know English if you wish to live and work in America. All of the anger for dialing one to continue, I just don't get it.

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I've had to 'press 1 for English'. All I ever get is a 'para español, prensa dos', and it quickly defaults to English. I live in southern Arizona.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

What I like best about this is that if the reader is someone who doesn't know English then they won't be able to read the sticker to know that you're mad at them. Then again, presumably the person who puts that on their car is someone who assumes that if you aren't speaking English it's because you don't want to, not that you can't.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Well I mean most if not all modern countries have an agreed upon language I don't think that's a crime. But being comfortable with your 1st language when possible isn't either. If Spanish is your first language youre gonna wanna make sure you comprehend whats being given to you, even if your English is quite good. It's funny how people embrace the "America is a melting pot" philosophy until it slightly inconveniences them.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

Wasn't it Arthur Miller who said "America is the only country where learning a second language is considered shameful."?

I remember reading that illegal immigrants use fake Social Security numbers. So they pay in, but can never collect.
In addition to being paid less than minimum wage, lacking workplace representation, etc, etc.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Commodore 64 posted:

Wasn't it Arthur Miller who said "America is the only country where learning a second language is considered shameful."?

I remember reading that illegal immigrants use fake Social Security numbers. So they pay in, but can never collect.
In addition to being paid less than minimum wage, lacking workplace representation, etc, etc.

But they somehow get free healthcare when I can't!!!

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
If they use my SS# do I get extra when I retire? :allears:

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well I mean most if not all modern countries have an agreed upon language I don't think that's a crime. But being comfortable with your 1st language when possible isn't either. If Spanish is your first language youre gonna wanna make sure you comprehend whats being given to you, even if your English is quite good. It's funny how people embrace the "America is a melting pot" philosophy until it slightly inconveniences them.

Most of the countries with offical language actually have several. Sometimes more then a dozen.

China's offical language is Mandarin because there are a few thousand dialects and someone from one village wouldn't be able to comprehend someone from another village unless they defaulted to Mandarin.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

But they somehow get free healthcare when I can't!!!

ER isn't free.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

notcreativeenough posted:

ER isn't free.

Neither is freedom :colbert:.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

oxbrain posted:

If they use my SS# do I get extra when I retire? :allears:

No, but you will get an angry letter from the IRS

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Dr. Tough posted:

No, but you will get an angry letter from the IRS

In both English and Spanish. Thus completing the cycle.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

notcreativeenough posted:

Most of the countries with offical language actually have several. Sometimes more then a dozen.

China's offical language is Mandarin because there are a few thousand dialects and someone from one village wouldn't be able to comprehend someone from another village unless they defaulted to Mandarin.

Well take a country like France or the UK though. Those countries have sizeable non-French or English speaking populations, respectively, but it's still understood that the agreed language for government activities and other exchanges is going to be French or English unless other arrangements can be made.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying America is doing things right here, many are scared of those not speaking English for some reason, it's just that most modern nations have a commonly accepted language to talk to other people around you unless exceptions can be made.

Edit: Upon re-reading your second sentence I quoted we're basically saying the same exact thing. Nevermind.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well take a country like France or the UK though. Those countries have sizeable non-French or English speaking populations, respectively, but it's still understood that the agreed language for government activities and other exchanges is going to be French or English unless other arrangements can be made.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying America is doing things right here, many are scared of those not speaking English for some reason, it's just that most modern nations have a commonly accepted language to talk to other people around you unless exceptions can be made.

Edit: Upon re-reading your second sentence I quoted we're basically saying the same exact thing. Nevermind.

Well France does have an organization that only wants French spoken and then you got the Quebecians who refuse to speak English even if they know it. Most countries accept English as the scientific/enginnering/speak to plane crew language.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

quote:

Subject:

Transcript of the Obama mocking tea party members. And then of Rush thanking him on the air yesterday. Quite enterntaining and enlightening.

OBAMA: Since today happens to be tax day (laughter) I should just point out that one-third of the Recovery Act went to tax cuts, tax cuts that strengthened the cornerstone of the American dream. I've been a little amused over the last couple of days where people have been having these rallies (laughter) about taxes, taxes. You would think they would be saying thank you. That's what you'd think. (cheers and applause)

RUSH: Ladies and gentlemen, this is a classic illustration of authoritarian mocking control. He hasn't cut anybody's taxes. The Recovery Act, stimulus bill, it's more like loaves and fishes. There are no tax cuts in that. There were some tax credits. It's all bogus. But he wants to be thanked. Okay, I will oblige. Mr. President, I want to thank you for seizing General Motors and Chrysler. I want to thank you for appointing a pervert as our safe schools czar. I would like to thank you, Mr. President, for the generational theft that you have committed with all of this borrowing and spending. You have spent the wealth of two to three, maybe four generations in the future, before they're even born. I want to thank you, Mr. President, for insulting and endangering Israel. I want to thank you, Mr. President, for driving up the unemployment rate to near double digits for years to come. I want to thank you, Mr. President, for telling everybody that it's going to be double digits as the new norm. I want to thank you, Mr. President, for exploding the annual deficit to the level where it can never be repaid.

I'd like to thank you, Mr. President, for targeting and destroying private health insurance companies. I want to thank you, Mr. President, for pushing for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed to stand trial in New York City and receive full constitutional rights at a cost of $200 million per year. I want to thank you for that. I want to thank you for helping to destroy the housing market, Mr. President. And, Mr. President, I would love to thank you for your arrogance, because arrogance is part and parcel of an authoritarian leader of a regime. I would like to also thank you, Mr. President, for your divisiveness. I would like to thank you for ignoring the public union pension time bombs waiting to explode out there. I would like to thank you, Mr. President, for mocking and disrespecting the American people. And I'd like to thank you for your never-ending support of the New Black Panthers and for ACORN. I'd like to thank you, Mr. President, for embracing our enemies and snubbing our allies. But most of all, Mr. President, thank you for arousing the sleeping silent majority because we have been asleep too long. November is coming, Mr. President. That is when we will really thank you.

And more people trust every word of this than know that on average, we paid fewer taxes this year than we have in decades.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

RightHonourableHolt posted:

And more people trust every word of this than know that on average, we paid fewer taxes this year than we have in decades.

This baffles me seriously. I mean you have to look at your own tax returns, how can you not see that its lower than it was before? It's literally 1984 poo poo when you deny last years numbers compared to this one, just it isn't the government doing the controlling of facts.

i stay fly
Jan 11, 2009
After a long, and what I hoped was permanent, break from from crazy emails from my mother, I got this one today:

quote:

This morning I went to sign my dogs up for welfare. At first the lady said, "Dogs are not eligible to draw welfare". So I explained to her that my dogs are mixed in color, unemployed, lazy, can't speak English and have no frigging clue who their Daddies are. They expect me to feed them, provide them with housing and medical care, and feel guilty because they are dogs.

So she looked in her policy book to see what it takes to qualify. My dogs get their first check Friday.

drat, this is a great country.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
drat, your mother is a loving racist.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RagnarokAngel posted:

This baffles me seriously. I mean you have to look at your own tax returns, how can you not see that its lower than it was before? It's literally 1984 poo poo when you deny last years numbers compared to this one, just it isn't the government doing the controlling of facts.
It's not 1984 if you don't bother to check. It's just stupid.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

i stay fly posted:

After a long, and what I hoped was permanent, break from from crazy emails from my mother, I got this one today:

I am loving awestruck.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

i stay fly posted:

Tell her that numbers wise, there are more white people on welfare.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Well, there are more white people in general.

The actual reason is that black people have historically occupied a very low rung on the socio-economic ladder, entirely because of exploitation by white people, but of course that will never fly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I feel bad following up that welfare email but

quote:

3.8% tax on real estate transactions

Under the new health care bill - did you know that all real estate transactions are subject to a 3.8% "Sales Tax"?

You can thank Nancy, Harry & Barack (and your local Congressmen) for this one.

If you sell your $400,000 home, this will be a $15,200 tax.

Remember Obama’s battle cry — take from the workers and give to the drones.

TAX ON HOME SALES

Imposes a 3.8 percent tax on home sales and other real estate transactions.

Middle-income people must pay the full tax even if they are "rich" for only one day — the day they sell their house and buy a new one.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Walter posted:

drat, your mother is a loving racist.

That woman doesn't hold a loving candle to my mother.

I was talking to my mom on the phone yesterday and we were talking about how crazy the teabaggers are. She agreed for the most part (she is very much for heavy regulation of big business), but on the subject of immigration she said she pretty much agrees with them.

Please forgive the slurs about the follow but this is a direct quote from her (note that she does not speak Spanish or any other second language):

quote:

Why should those loving illegal mexicans not have to learn English? You're in America! I lived in California and worked there and if you didn't know English and Spanish, you couldn't get a manager job. I got a manager job because I was friends with the boss but I was going up against this black chick and there was no way in hell she was going to learn Spanish because she was one that always liked to call racism.

But why couldn't the goddamn illegals learn English? I worked with a lot of chinks and gooks and they all were very hard workers and knew English. Even if the gooks spoke broken English, they were often going night classes to learn the language. But those illegals didn't care at all about learning English and so if you ever wanted to get promoted, you had to know both English and Spanish.

After this conversation, I had to politely say I had to go do something and get off the phone because I was about to put my fist through a wall.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel bad following up that welfare email but

That's technically true, but only if your capital gains is over $250,000 for and individual or $500,000 for a couple. So if you sell your home for $400,000, you owe a tax on it only if:
a) You are living in it by yourself, and
b) You bought it for less than $150,000.

In that case, you would owe 3.8% tax on the capital gains over $250,000 - but not on the full sale price of the house. It applies to all capital gains, by the way, not just house sales.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/realestate.asp

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

freebooter posted:

Well, there are more white people in general.

The actual reason is that black people have historically occupied a very low rung on the socio-economic ladder, entirely because of exploitation by white people, but of course that will never fly.

I know all of that. I am just saying he should say it to see how she tries to hand wave it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

What the gently caress? How do you use words like "Chink" and "Gook" to COMPLIMENT someone? :psyduck:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I got this in an email and thought it was a great analogy of the economic stress our country is in today!!!

I bought a bird feeder. I hung
It on my back porch and filled
It with seed. What a beauty of
A bird feeder it was, as I filled it
lovingly with seed. Within a
Week we had hundreds of birds
Taking advantage of the
Continuous flow of free and
Easily accessible food.

But then the birds started
Building nests in the boards
Of the patio, above the table,
And next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was
Everywhere: on the patio tile,
The chairs, the table ..
Everywhere!

Then some of the birds
Turned mean. They would
Dive bomb me and try to
Peck me even though I had
Fed them out of my own
Pocket.

And others birds were
Boisterous and loud. They
Sat on the feeder and
Squawked and screamed at
All hours of the day and night
And demanded that I fill it
When it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even
Sit on my own back porch
Anymore. So I took down the
Bird feeder and in three days
The birds were gone. I cleaned
Up their mess and took down
The many nests they had built
All over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like
It used to be .... Quiet, serene....
And no one demanding their
Rights to a free meal.

Now let's see.
Our government gives out
Free food, subsidized housing,
Free medical care and free
Education, and allows anyone
Born here to be an automatic
Citizen.

Then the illegal's came by the
Tens of thousands. Suddenly
Our taxes went up to pay for
Free services; small apartments
Are housing 5 families; you
Have to wait 6 hours to be seen
By an emergency room doctor;
Your child's second grade class is
Behind other schools because
Over half the class doesn't speak
English.

Corn Flakes now come in a
Bilingual box; I have to
'press one ' to hear my bank
Talk to me in English, and
People waving flags other
Than 'Old Glory' are
Squawking and screaming
In the streets, demanding
More rights and free liberties.

Just my opinion, but maybe
it's time for the government
To take down the bird feeder.

If you agree, pass it on; if not,
Just continue cleaning up the poop .

--------------------------------------------------------------------

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

RagnarokAngel posted:

What the gently caress? How do you use words like "Chink" and "Gook" to COMPLIMENT someone? :psyduck:

Some people just grow up with that kind of language and probably see the misappropriate-ness of those words in the same vein as 'darn' and 'crap'.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

pillsburysoldier posted:

I cleaned
All over the patio.

He just killed so many immigrant children. :(

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I took my dog to the RNC office and said this dog would like to apply for the chairman's position they said sorry dogs aren't a minority we need to court due to years of using out and out racism as a tool for getting elected.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pillsburysoldier posted:

People waving flags other
Than 'Old Glory' are
Squawking and screaming
In the streets, demanding
More rights and free liberties.

HOW DARE THEY DEMAND LEGAL, SAFE IMMIGRATION POLICIES! Especially when many of the people protesting are here legally anyway!

But you know what they say: brown skin = brown shirts!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

Corn Flakes now come in a
Bilingual box; I have to
'press one ' to hear my bank
Talk to me in English

America is the most multicultural nation on earth except when it differs from my own then it shouldn't be.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

I got this in an email and thought it was a great analogy of the economic stress our country is in today!!!

I bought a bird feeder. I hung
lovingly with seed. Within a
Week we had hundreds of birds
Taking advantage of the
Continuous flow of free and
Easily accessible food.

But then the birds started
Building nests in the boards
Of the patio, above the table,
And next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was
Everywhere: on the patio tile,
The chairs, the table ..
Everywhere!

Then some of the birds
Turned mean. They would
Dive bomb me and try to
Peck me even though I had
Fed them out of my own
Pocket.

And others birds were
Boisterous and loud. They
Sat on the feeder and
Squawked and screamed at
All hours of the day and night
And demanded that I fill it
When it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even
Sit on my own back porch
Anymore. So I took down the
Bird feeder and in three days
The birds were gone. I cleaned
All over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like
It used to be .... Quiet, serene....
And no one demanding their
Rights to a free meal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That never happens when you put up a bird feeder.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

That never happens when you put up a bird feeder.

I was gonna point that out too but I was more awestruck at beating you over the head with the analogy.

SEE THE IMMIGRANTS ARE THE BIRDS AND

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Should've just emailed back the red-state socialism .jpg and told them you're in full agreement.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

I hung
lovingly with seed.

Filled it with seed, eh?

:fap:

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know all of that. I am just saying he should say it to see how she tries to hand wave it.

boot. straps.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

ought ten posted:

Filled it with seed, eh?

:fap:

Lovingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Got a new one. :-D

quote:

CLASSIC MOVIES REMADE

Bonnie & Clyde

The Godfather

Gone With The Wind

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz

It's A Wonderful Life

And Just for the heck of it ....................