Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SavageMessiah posted:

I've used this to play JA: Deadly Games multiplayer. It's really easy to set up.

Woah buddy, Dosbox can do that?!? :aaaaa: That's... awesome! JADG is still one of my all time favourite MP games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doodmons posted:

I have and enjoy Galciv 2. Is MOO 2 just an older version of that or is it hugely different/better and should I get it anyway?

This is a very important question and I'd like it to appear near the top of this page. Thanks for reading.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Doodmons posted:

I have and enjoy Galciv 2. Is MOO 2 just an older version of that or is it hugely different/better and should I get it anyway?

This isn't a very good answer, but I never played Galciv 2 because I heard it didn't stack up to Moo2, which I was already hooked on.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Doodmons posted:

MOO 2 is hugely different/better and you should get it anyway.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like GalCiv 2 better overall, but mostly because it's still new to me. I've played MOO2 utterly to death in years past.

MOO2 still beats GalCiv2 as far as racial uniqueness and charm go. It's not nearly as balanced as GalCiv2, which is definitely a fun change of pace. (Yes I know Twilight of the Arnor added different racial tech trees and structures.)

MOO2 has enough modern conveniences in it that it still holds up pretty great today. I was surprised how good it looks still, even scaled up to my 1920x1200 monitor.

----

Aside, I tried enabling the thing in Nvidia Control Panel that uses the GPU to scale instead of my monitor, but none of the settings want to stick for some reason. I'm hoping new drivers fixes it, because checking for whether a settings file is set to read-only, which Google told me to do, didn't solve anything.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I know this is basically off-topic, but how does GalCiv 2 compare to GalCiv 1 in your opinion, teethgrinder? Assuming you've played both of course. I ask because I love MoO2 as you seem to and I enjoyed GalCiv 1 but it couldn't hold my attention very long. I've played a demo of GalCiv 2, but I'm still on the fence about it. I've heard the expansions make it much better, but haven't been willing to pull the trigger and buy it yet.

To stay somewhat on topic - MoO 2 came out in 1996, I don't think I ever played it until 2004 or so, I'm not particularly good at 4X and find most of the space-based entries in the genre very frustrating. While I still suck at MoO 2, it's one of my favorite games now and I recommend it to absolutely anyone. The fact that it was already aged when I first played it didn't matter, because the graphics are the type that never look bad, and the gameplay is completely timeless. You can have a good time with it after very little instruction on how it works, so anyone on the fence should definitely buy this pack.

Adam Bowen fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 20, 2010

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

I know this is basically off-topic, but how does GalCiv 2 compare to GalCiv 1 in your opinion, teethgrinder? Assuming you've played both of course. I ask because I love MoO2 as you seem to and I enjoyed GalCiv 1 but it couldn't hold my attention very long. I've played a demo of GalCiv 2, but I'm still on the fence about it. I've heard the expansions make it much better, but haven't been willing to pull the trigger and buy it yet.

The expansions for GalCiv2 each moved it a bit closer to MoO2.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I saw something hinting at this over the last few pages, but wanted to confirm before I bought it - MOO2 should work fine on a Win7 x64b machine, yes?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Gazaville Slugger posted:

I saw something hinting at this over the last few pages, but wanted to confirm before I bought it - MOO2 should work fine on a Win7 x64b machine, yes?

Worked perfectly for me.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Adam Bowen posted:

To stay somewhat on topic - MoO 2 came out in 1996, I don't think I ever played it until 2004 or so, I'm not particularly good at 4X and find most of the space-based entries in the genre very frustrating. While I still suck at MoO 2, it's one of my favorite games now and I recommend it to absolutely anyone. The fact that it was already aged when I first played it didn't matter, because the graphics are the type that never look bad, and the gameplay is completely timeless. You can have a good time with it after very little instruction on how it works, so anyone on the fence should definitely buy this pack.
It's been so long since I played GalCiv1, but I know 2 was vastly better in every way. 2 has entirely erased my memory of 1.

I can't believe how much I'd forgotten MOO2. At my height I could beat it with any race on hard, or with custom handicapped race.

I think what I overall like about GalCiv2 better though are two major points. First, that research strategy seems better balanced. I don't like in MOO2 how unless you play a creative race, you must decide on one item per level. You can strategise and try to steal the tech either through invasion or infiltration, but there's no guarantee.

Most importantly though, I love the "civilization" scope of GalCiv2, where it feels like you're a leader of one major faction, but there's all kinds of trade and tourism going on between planets at any given time. Yeah there's a little bit of suspension of disbelief that you're unaware of systems your citizens are visiting, but the economic system and strategy more than makes up for it. I love how your economy is tied to trade, moral & tourism, not just taxes and maintenance.

I don't know whether I'd recommend it to you specifically. You HAVE been playing MOO2 for a reasonably long enough time, but if you're not bored of it yet, then you may as well keep going since it sounds like you haven't exhausted it. I'd consider GalCiv2 if you're looking for a new challenge, specifically of learning a new system.

Strategy doesn't carry at all between the two games. It's much harder to expand in GalCiv2 until you've got a really solid economic base going.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I cannot get Septerra Core to work. I get the following error message when I start the game:

I tried disabling sound acceleration, disabling DirectDraw in Quicktime, and even installing the old version of Quicktime this game uses, but it still doesn't work.

My system:

Wndows XP Pro Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 3800+ X2
3 GB Ram
ATI HD4670 512 MB Graphics Card
Onboard Audio

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Mill Village posted:

I cannot get Septerra Core to work. I get the following error message when I start the game:

I tried disabling sound acceleration, disabling DirectDraw in Quicktime, and even installing the old version of Quicktime this game uses, but it still doesn't work.

My system:

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2
3 GB Ram
Onboard Audio

Uninstall Quicktime, install QuickTime Alternative, (optional) install ffdshow. Try again.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can someone explain how to run MOOII in Windows mode? The launcher seems to put it in fullscreen immediately and I don't see any settings allowing windowedm ode to run.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
If you're running in dosbox off of a GOG install alt+enter will work fine. You will have to find and edit the dosbox conf file to make it run that way initially though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Big Sean posted:

If you're running in dosbox off of a GOG install alt+enter will work fine. You will have to find and edit the dosbox conf file to make it run that way initially though.

Yup, figured that out. Kinda sucks that I'll have to do it every time but I'll live with it for some MOO2 action. :dance:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DOSBox is fairly open, I'm sure there's a config file in there somewhere, where you can toggle fullscreen-on-startup.

Also, I got me some MoO 2 too. :buddy:

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Holy shiiiit. Moo2? So much for passing finals.

satin666
Jun 7, 2006

This is me waiting for BLOOD to be released

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
One of the guys in #GOG who's really happy to see Blood released on Thursday actually owns the last surviving community of the game, so I thought I'd just pimp The Postmortem out, as there seems to be a few fellow Blood lovers on here and he'd really appreciate if some of you looked around or joined. Hopefully having the game available for such a great price will rejuvenate the multiplayer and fanbase.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
First of all, does Outcast itself have any issues in new OS's that make the GoG version suggested? I got the game on clearance some 10-12 years ago so I could experience the majesty of VOXELS and a soundtrack by some Russian orchestra. Sort of like the DX deals on Steam this week, if there's no game breaking bugs that are updated now, I'll just dig up my old discs.

Secondly I'm so all over Blood. This game does have intermittent issues, as I recall anyway, and multiplayer Blood is made of love, zombies, and flare guns in your stupid face :hellyeah:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

satin666 posted:

This is me waiting for BLOOD to be released

Is this from blood? Whatever it's from it's awesome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

glug posted:

Is this from blood?

Yeah it sure is.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Looks like a Might and Magic game.. prolly around the 6 or earlier stage. Play-wise is that about close?

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Not at all? Blood's an FPS based on Duke Nukem 3D's Build engine. V. violent and sadistic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

glug posted:

Looks like a Might and Magic game.. prolly around the 6 or earlier stage. Play-wise is that about close?

If you purchase it thinking that, you will be very surprised.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I would play a Might & Magic game which has dynamite.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

glug posted:

Picture Duke Nukem 3D, but in a very twisted, gothic, anachronistic version of Industrial Revolution America, all the sexual imagery is replaced with gore and horror movie refrences, and the player character is a raspy-voiced undead wiseass who loves showtunes.

That's Blood.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Any must-have fan patches for MoO2, or should a new guy just stick to the base game?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Picture Duke Nukem 3D, but in a very twisted, gothic, anachronistic version of Industrial Revolution America, all the sexual imagery is replaced with gore and horror movie refrences, and the player character is a raspy-voiced undead wiseass who loves showtunes.

That's Blood.

That is a very appealing description.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

doctorfrog posted:

Any must-have fan patches for MoO2, or should a new guy just stick to the base game?

The only fan-patch I know of already appears to be added to GOG's version. It's just bug fixes if I remenber correctly.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I stayed up until 2:30 playing MOO2 :negative:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

teethgrinder posted:

I think what I overall like about GalCiv2 better though are two major points. First, that research strategy seems better balanced. I don't like in MOO2 how unless you play a creative race, you must decide on one item per level. You can strategise and try to steal the tech either through invasion or infiltration, but there's no guarantee.

I think that's my favorite thing about MOO2. Every game you have to work with a different set of technology and use different strategies to outsmart your opponent. I usually pick the Uncreative trait because of this.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mill Village posted:

My system:

AMD Athlon 3800+ X2
3 GB Ram
Onboard Audio

It did this to me, what I had to do was go into the game directory, remove quicktime.qts and then copy and paste an updated quicktime.qts in its place, because I think it uses an older version or something.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Farquar posted:

I think that's my favorite thing about MOO2. Every game you have to work with a different set of technology and use different strategies to outsmart your opponent. I usually pick the Uncreative trait because of this.

Now I am getting worried. I say Master of Magic, Heroes 2/3 and Deadlock are about the max in terms of complex turn based strategy I like to play. It seems all those games went deeper and deeper into insane spreadsheet tasks and millions of windows when all I want to do is build things, research things and try to win.

I hate that like Sim City is my favorite in terms of simple gameplay, but 2000 has you building pipes and poo poo underground and just way too much stuff to deal with. That is why I never liked any of the "spiritual" sequels to Masters of Magic, they throw too much poo poo into the mix to make it complex and confusing.

I am also slightly dumb, so yeah, that's my fault.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

AxeManiac posted:

Now I am getting worried. I say Master of Magic, Heroes 2/3 and Deadlock are about the max in terms of complex turn based strategy I like to play. It seems all those games went deeper and deeper into insane spreadsheet tasks and millions of windows when all I want to do is build things, research things and try to win.

I hate that like Sim City is my favorite in terms of simple gameplay, but 2000 has you building pipes and poo poo underground and just way too much stuff to deal with. That is why I never liked any of the "spiritual" sequels to Masters of Magic, they throw too much poo poo into the mix to make it complex and confusing.

I am also slightly dumb, so yeah, that's my fault.

You make a good point, though. And what you are talking about is exactly why MoO3 failed miserably.

Mayors might have a say in infrastructure funding, but they don't build the loving mains themselves! I have always enjoyed the entire SC franchise, but I felt it always failed at making governance an important trait and failed at keeping the scope consistent.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Overwined posted:

Mayors might have a say in infrastructure funding, but they don't build the loving mains themselves!

This bugs me in a ton of games. Even in war games where you're supposed to be commanding a loving battalion of dudes, you end up having to tell individual soldiers when to crouch or switch weapons. What the crap? How about a game where you make decisions appropriate to your command level?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Not that you were asking me, but I literally couldn't play Galciv 1 or Galciv 2 without the expansions because I found them so boring. I bought the ultimate edition of 2 with both expansions and now I love it to bits. I think it was the addition of race-specific tech trees that did it. Not to mention Terror Stars. From what I've read of the LP of MOO2 it doesn't look hugely different to Galciv but I've heard nothing but good things about it so I don't know what to do. :ohdear:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tentaclesex posted:

This bugs me in a ton of games. Even in war games where you're supposed to be commanding a loving battalion of dudes, you end up having to tell individual soldiers when to crouch or switch weapons. What the crap? How about a game where you make decisions appropriate to your command level?

I don't really play RTS games so I can't say to what extent this already exists, but in AI War (non-gog RTS massive fleets-o-ships game), you can basically dictate a general behavior you want your ships to follow, optionally a route of destruction, and then can move on to other things. If anything, it's an interesting experiment in seeing how the developer has been reacting to users and helping them with game mechanics allowing them to fluidly control thousands of units in a meaningful way.

And I completely agree with AxeM on "gently caress this" micromanagement, but I'm willing to argue that it isn't that my brain is too small to comprehend layers and layers of management, it's just no drat fun to me. I'm really looking forward to playing MoO, if only because I might be finally 'coming home' to a 4X that's designed the way I like to play.

As for SC2000 and SC3K, the underground wasn't that tough to deal with, it was almost completely optional. You can completely ignore subways, and water mains have an 'area of effect' in which they saturate a wide are with water coverage.

And I know that I can buy X-COM UFO Defense on Steam for cheapsies right now, but what I really want is to see it on my GOG shelf. The holy trinity of turn-based gamery: MoO, Jagged Alliance 2, and X-COM. Wanna throw them all on a single DVD and make a custom DVD case cover for 'em.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Farquar posted:

I think the GalCiv2 system works better though. Tech trees are relatively more expensive than MOO2. You choose the trees you want to concentrate on, but the option is still there if you need it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

doctorfrog posted:

And I know that I can buy X-COM UFO Defense on Steam for cheapsies right now, but what I really want is to see it on my GOG shelf. The holy trinity of turn-based gamery: MoO, Jagged Alliance 2, and X-COM. Wanna throw them all on a single DVD and make a custom DVD case cover for 'em.

This is a nice reversal of the usual Steam list complaints.