Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Scrapez posted:

I hear ya. Agree to disagree. I'd rather crush my melon than be responsible for doing that to someone else.

Seriously, I'd sooner squid it up 100% than have a passenger wear a "used" helmet, I don't want that poo poo on my conscience. Hell, I've yet to carry one just cause I don't have a second set of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
I just flat out won't carry a passenger. Not like it's an issue, the wife is petrified of the idea of riding. Dropping a helmet isn't that big of a deal to me anyhow, mine's had a fall or two from the seat, all of 3~ feet. I'm not about to substitute my full face with the skid lid I have laying around, either.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
What about the helmet being attached to the helmet lock on the bike by the seat, and having the bike dropped on the helmet? Most likely unusable?

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
As in between the bike and the pavement? Yeah, I'd never use that helmet again besides to get home. A free fall 3-6 feet won't do near the damage to it as one that's had the weight of a bike crushing it into the concrete. All the more reason I have a trunk case on the back, fits my helmet, jacket and gloves quite nicely.

Put it up on a shelf and forget about it, or just throw it away, and go replace it with a $100 HJC (or whatever, I'm cheap) if you absolutely must have a spare helmet.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

TiberiusM posted:

One of the cars that didn't stop was a Sheriff.

Am I the only that thinks that this is a big deal? Was it the actual Sheriff or a deputy? If it was the Sheriff, call all the local media you can to make sure that rear end in a top hat doesn't get re-elected. A deputy, you'd better call their boss and file a grievance. There is no excuse for them failing to stop and make sure you are okay.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Wandering Idiot posted:

I just flat out won't carry a passenger. Not like it's an issue, the wife is petrified of the idea of riding. Dropping a helmet isn't that big of a deal to me anyhow, mine's had a fall or two from the seat, all of 3~ feet. I'm not about to substitute my full face with the skid lid I have laying around, either.
Jay Leno's Garage had a segment recently with a muckey muck rep from Arai. Straight from the horses mouth - by design, the helmet needs to have a head-sized, head-shaped, (10-12 pound) head-weighted object inside it to be damaged. If you drop your helmet from any (reasonable) height onto a hard surface, the shell is designed to flex a small amount, and it will be fine.

That said, dropping a bike on the helmet is a bit more than 10-12 pounds.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ari.gato posted:

What about the helmet being attached to the helmet lock on the bike by the seat, and having the bike dropped on the helmet? Most likely unusable?

If the outer shell is ripped, pinched or otherwise deformed, bin it. If the hard styrofoam inside has any dents, holes or rips, bin it. If you're not feeling safe anymore, bin it.

That what I go by. :)

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

KARMA! posted:

If the outer shell is ripped, pinched or otherwise deformed, bin it. If the hard styrofoam inside has any dents, holes or rips, bin it. If you're not feeling safe anymore, bin it.

That what I go by. :)

Cool. No dents or nothing, just some scratching on the top.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Related to the discussion of helmets: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
That really was a good bit of an overview, but Jay Leno is insufferable without a studio audience.

That crash footage at 6 minutes and change in, how that man lived through that is a testament to technology and luck.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Wandering Idiot posted:

That crash footage at 6 minutes and change in, how that man lived through that is a testament to technology and luck.

Yea, it was helpful that his skull didn't get run over by a motorcycle tire like another racer who fell at a much slower speed.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

Terminus Est posted:

Am I the only that thinks that this is a big deal? Was it the actual Sheriff or a deputy? If it was the Sheriff, call all the local media you can to make sure that rear end in a top hat doesn't get re-elected. A deputy, you'd better call their boss and file a grievance. There is no excuse for them failing to stop and make sure you are okay.

Worked for the Sheriff department, so maybe he was a deputy? I forget how that works. The only time I ever see the cops are when they're called on me for shooting guns on private property. Apparently people think you shouldn't do that out in the boonies. Cops think its funny, stop by and talk guns, then leave.

Took out the lining of my helmet, and it doesn't look like theres any deformation in the EPS, so I feel pretty safe.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
That's the thing I like about having a Shoei. If in doubt I can just send off the helmet and they'll return it with an integrity report for free.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Welp, dropped it for the first time in the year and ~2 weeks I've been riding. Stopped for gas, and literally as I'm coming to a stop a loving corrugated plastic "ERASE DEBT NOW!" sign blows right into the path of the front tire. Went down right away. Not much damage beyond the broken front right signal, as it was the same side the P.O. dropped it on.

Excuse to get flush signals!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I was out riding on Sunday, with a big group, a couple friends, but mostly riders I didn't know. I caught air over a bump while passing my buddy, just before we entered a left hand turn. There was a bit of traffic in the corner slowing everyone down, and I was coming in a bit too hot. I tried to lock up the rear to slide the back of the bike around the corner and take the inside. I avoided rear ending the rider in front of me, but I lowsided and got stuck under my bike. My buddy laughed at me and rode off. I was probably going about 5mph when I went down, my one piece Alpinestars suit held up pretty well to the dirt, as did my HJC helmet and Fox boots.

There's a lesson to be learned here, something about tortoises and the hairs.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

sirbeefalot posted:

...a loving corrugated plastic "ERASE DEBT NOW!" sign blows right into the path of the front tire.

Excuse to pay cash to get flush signals!
:D

Zool posted:

something about tortoises and the short hairs.
Glad you guys are OK. Zool, you have the best friends. =)

Pseudo-content: I crashed and burned yesterday, too, but it's far more E/N and far less CA. Thanks for listening. ;)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

:D

gently caress that, I'm putting that poo poo on 99% APR credit like an AMERICAN.

Payin' the minimum on my $35 signals, what

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Zool posted:

There's a lesson to be learned here, something about tortoises and the hairs.

??????

Glad to hear you didn't hit anything though...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

I tried to lock up the rear to slide the back of the bike around the corner and take the inside.

For future reference, the correct method to do this is to quickly shift down a gear or two so the rear tire slows down enough to break free and slide, but continues moving so you still have control and can stop the slide. Learning to do it in an empty parking lot is relatively safe and lots of fun but will likely result in coming back to post here about how you highsided in a parking lot because you listened to that idiot pr0zac.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

pr0zac posted:

For future reference, the correct method to do this is to quickly shift down a gear or two so the rear tire slows down enough to break free and slide, but continues moving so you still have control and can stop the slide. Learning to do it in an empty parking lot is relatively safe and lots of fun but will likely result in coming back to post here about how you highsided in a parking lot because you listened to that idiot pr0zac.

It was a dirt corner with a berm, the bump was a double, and the group ride was a race. :D

I did highside backing it in the same day, but I don't blame you.

Zool fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 23, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

My buddy laughed at me and rode off.

I'm surprised he stopped long enough to laugh at you.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Applicable to current discussion.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That's the most ballin' thing I've seen this week.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I'm surprised he stopped long enough to laugh at you.

I didn't say he stopped. That girl has mad supermoto skillz.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Ever since I last posted in here I get so worried seeing this thread on the first page. So glad when people turn out not to be too badly hurt, however. I'm glad this forum is very gear-conscious.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Turn signals seem to be the majority victims this month.

Poor turn signals. :(

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Wandering Idiot posted:

Turn signals seem to be the majority victims this month.

Poor turn signals. :(

Yes they deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell! Integrated signals shall rule forth!

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO
Well, I was hoping I wouldn't have to post in this thread, but I've had my first accident on a two-wheeled vehicle: a ripstik. :)

Turned out the sloped sidewalk I decided to coast down could immediately make me go way too fast, and I had a choice of trying to turn onto a perpendicular sidewalk or fly off a curb into a parking lot and destroy myself...

I tried to make the turn and cut really hard, but the ripstik slid over the edge of the curb, I fell sideways, my thigh came down on the edge of curb, and my elbow and hand ate pavement. My brother said I was going about 15mph...

Well, here's the aftermath:

one day later

Click here for the full 420x728 image.

one week later

Click here for the full 364x691 image.

edit. Oh, and I was wearing some fairly thick jeans.

I know we preach AGATT around here anyway, but seriously... this is the fuckage that results from a low-speed ripstik accident. Imagine a 60mph deer collision. Oy... :)

Plus, it's pretty funny that I've spent so much on my bike gear and then this happens on a ripstik... My friends have been asking me why I left the house without suiting up first. :)

phishnut fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 26, 2010

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
For a ripstik the only choice is the X-Men suit from the other thread.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Do you have a x-ray of this? A bit off-topic, but it looks like a knee cap fracture to me.

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

Blaster of Justice posted:

Do you have a x-ray of this? A bit off-topic, but it looks like a knee cap fracture to me.
No, it might look like it due to perspective and cropping or whatever, but that's not my kneecap... It's the outside of my right thigh wrapping around to the back and it's pretty huge. I'm really glad that I didn't come down on my hip and joint, which are right above it.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

phishnut posted:

No, it might look like it due to perspective and cropping or whatever, but that's not my kneecap... It's the outside of my right thigh wrapping around to the back and it's pretty huge. I'm really glad that I didn't come down on my hip and joint, which are right above it.

Ahh. I'm a tad slow. I see it now. Still, you should seek medical attention. You've got a nasty internal bleeding from God-knows-what. Probably ok by now, but get it checked.

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

Blaster of Justice posted:

Ahh. I'm a tad slow. I see it now. Still, you should seek medical attention. You've got a nasty internal bleeding from God-knows-what. Probably ok by now, but get it checked.
Hmmm... You could be right. I have been showing it to my brother, a nurse, and he hasn't seemed too concerned, but now I've googled around and you've made me worried. :)

It does look better today than it did in that Saturday pic, though.

edit. vvvv Alright, sounds like a plan... (and hey, he does preface everything he says with an "I am not a doctor. When in doubt, go to a doctor.")

phishnut fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 26, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

phishnut posted:

Hmmm... You could be right. I have been showing it to my brother, a nurse, and he hasn't seemed too concerned, but now I've googled around and you've made me worried. :)

It does look better today than it did in that Saturday pic, though.

Your nurse brother is not an orthopedic doctor. He also probably hates you for some unknown reason. Get it checked.

RyanIAm
Jul 27, 2004

LOLCAT
Had my first nasty accident in Sydney CBD yesterday. I was travelling down the main street of Sydney behind a taxi when a pedestrian either didn't see me or decided he could run out in front of me and jaywalk. He thought better of it once he spotted me but my attention was distracted by him for long enough to not realise the taxi in front of me had stopped suddenly. I can vividly remember thinking "Yep, you are going to hit him... now, are you going to do it upright or should you drop it and slide?" I chose to drop it and myself and the bike (DRZ400SM) impacted the rear bumper. I really didn't want to hit him upright and go over the bars.

After the bang, getting up, checking gear etc and wrestling the bike up onto the footpath I started to exchange particulars and with no visible injuries was talking to the guy I hit who was pretty cool about it all. After 5 minutes I could feel blood inside my pants leg so sat down on the gutter and pulled it up to have a look. Before me was the sight of my left tibia exposed by a 6-8cm gash in my shin. My left peg had ripped it open when i went down. It was at that point that I asked the taxi driver to call me an ambulance. Was taken to the local hospital and had xrays etc. A few stitches later and I am fine, I am amazed how lucky I was to get out with only that injury. I probably impacted the taxi at between 20 and 30 km/h.

Bike was tweaked at the front and a bit of cosmetic damage so insurance towed it and I'll find out some time next week. I'm pretty sure it's fixable but here are some pics:

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

RyanIAm posted:

Sydney CBD

taxi

pedestrian

This is why I'm on high alert whenever I ride in the city. All kinds of hazards, direct and indirect.

Glad you're (mostly) alright, but forgive me if I find the "had to lay it down" call pretty funny.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

phishnut posted:

Ripstik injury

Those things are killers. My friends wife bought one for their kids and she ended up breaking her tail bone trying it out. He sprained his ankle and another neighbor fell and almost got a concussion. He asked if I wanted to try it and, um, no.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
:ughh:

If anyone remembers my brother who broke his foot trying to wheelie in a parking lot a few months back....well he wrecked again. This time it's a lot worse and he's at the emergency room but he's ok. He claims he was cut off by a car and crashed his bike but that was his excuse last time and that never happened, so who knows. That doesn't matter though, what matters is the loving idiot was wearing SHORTS AND A T-SHIRT when he crashed. He is that god drat stupid. I don't know the extent of his injuries but I'm guessing he got some decent road rash and maybe, just maybe he won't be so drat stupid next time (if there is a next time, I think his bike is toast).

Anyone know what happens if you crash your bike at like 8:40 at night without a valid motorcycle license? He has his permit but shouldn't be driving after sunset. Do they impound the bike and give him a ticket or what?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I know this is the crash thread and I shouldn't be a mean jerk about your family, but I chuckled when I read that :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Tsaven Nava posted:

I know this is the crash thread and I shouldn't be a mean jerk about your family, but I chuckled when I read that :\

It's ok, he's fine so you're allowed to make fun of him. Trust me when he gets home he is going to get an earful from me and all our friends. He got a lot of poo poo when he broke his leg the first time...but crashing AGAIN with NO GEAR ON? His ears will bleed when we're done.

• Locked thread