Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Getting your extra class license is easy. There is every reason to do it and no reason not to. You can do it. Read the ARRL license manuals, then work through the question pools. Odds are you will know the answers to most of the questions. Memorize the rest (flash cards worked for me). Do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I didn't realize how many of you weren't Extras. Makes me feel that much more awesome to go from non-ham to an Extra. :smug:

However, you guys are still considerably cooler because you have radios. Echolink... :argh:

Edit:

After seeing the post below, I thought I'd share my callsign: KC9RZT

xergm fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 20, 2010

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
Just made Tech! Here's my sign, add me to the list: KJ4UHM

No radio yet however, saving for one now.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
VE6XOR checking in. Just got my Basic+. Now I need a radio. And get my Advanced so I can tinker more.

bokchoi
Aug 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
VE6NDX checking in too, I just got my Basic+ with DocCynical. I too need a radio and my Advanced license as well; I'll probably go with the flow and order an FT-60R off eBay, unless anyone has any other advice or recommendations for Canadian hams.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

xergm posted:

I didn't realize how many of you weren't Extras. Makes me feel that much more awesome to go from non-ham to an Extra. :smug:

However, you guys are still considerably cooler because you have radios. Echolink... :argh:

Don't feel bad, I don't have a radio either. In fact, I just signed up for Echolink since I forgot I could use it with my computer. Maybe now I'll get some use of my license.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Just got home from taking my exam. Got 100% on both Technician and General elements. :smug:

You might as well add me to the OP. The VEs said I should be able to see my callsign on the database in about a week, and should receive my license in the mail in about 2. I'll post my callsign when I get it.

Now to start studying for the Extra!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Xenpo posted:

Just made Tech!

DocCynical posted:

Just got my Basic+. Now I need a radio.

bokchoi posted:

VE6NDX checking in too, I just got my Basic+ with DocCynical.

AstroZamboni posted:

Just got home from taking my exam. Got 100% on both Technician and General elements. :smug
Congratulations to all of you!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Here's the finished LEGO morse key. I can't post a video of it in action because I don't have a video camera. Also, I didn't fully connect the wires because I'm going to redo the whole drat thing in industrial looking dark gray parts ordered from BrickLink.

Click here for the full 898x485 image.

Click here for the full 821x715 image.

Click here for the full 999x742 image.

Click here for the full 816x731 image.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
That is just plain awesome and creative.

Reiminds me of this link: http://timelesson.blogspot.com/2010/02/second-life-of-dead-mfm-hard-drives.html

Some guy made an iambic paddle out of old hard drive armatures and spare parts laying around.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 28, 2019

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I did a massive revision of the LEGO morse key and I'll post pics tomorrow. It is now much more compact and uses far less parts.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jose Pointero posted:

4 HIT COMBO
Congrats guys, welcome to tha hobby. As for adding you to the OP, that might not happen for a while. McRib Sandwich did the OP and he's been MIA since last October. Hope he's OK :( There's actually been a lot of people who have checked in since last Oct. that aren't in the OP either.

When can we start the hazing??

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Just placed a Bricklink order of parts for the industrial-gray FINAL version of my Homebrew Morse key. Can I get a what what?

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

AstroZamboni posted:

Just placed a Bricklink order of parts for the industrial-gray FINAL version of my Homebrew Morse key. Can I get a what what?

What what!

I just ordered a VX-7R last night. Coming from Hong Kong, so it might take a while to show up, but JESUS CHRIST I AM EXCITED.

Next purchase, probably going to happen today or tomorrow: programming cable for the VX-7R because gently caress putting repeaters and simplex frequencies into the radio by hand.

I'm also confirmed to be going to Dayton. Who's going? Let's get a role call.

GOONS CONFIRMED TO BE GOING TO DAYTON:
Phuzion - KD8LCV

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Phuzion posted:

I'm also confirmed to be going to Dayton. Who's going? Let's get a role call.

I'm debating whether I want to adjust my moving schedule and drop in. If I end up shipping my stuff and just driving myself and the cat to MO, my route will take me straight through Dayton.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

BigHustle posted:

I'm debating whether I want to adjust my moving schedule and drop in. If I end up shipping my stuff and just driving myself and the cat to MO, my route will take me straight through Dayton.

Showing up at dayton with a moving van would not get you the 'strangest method of transportation to a ham radio convention' award. You should go for it.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AtomicMonsters posted:

Showing up at dayton with a moving van would not get you the 'strangest method of transportation to a ham radio convention' award. You should go for it.

Actually, I'm shipping my crap from here to there. It'll just be me, the cat, and a few odds and ends in the Focus.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I was just listening to K7AGE's recent video featuring a 20m QSO party and happened to look up it this guy...

I think the picture speaks for itself.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

on that note ... something I saw on qrz the other day

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
^^^^^^

That guy looks he's about to kick the poo poo out of the ionosphere and slap that bitch until his waves propagate all the way around the world!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I almost want that guy as my avatar. He looks like he means BUSINESS.

EDIT: It's even bigger on his QRZ page, and even BIGGER with a direct link. He's straight up ANGRY about AMATEUR loving RADIO.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 22, 2010

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 28, 2019

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

That guy is going to unleash the fury on your lovely dipole and secondhand rig running barefoot

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

xergm posted:

I also used these study guides, which are more or less glorified question pools with the wrong answers taken out, but some provide equations and things.

Technician Study Guide

General Study Guide

Extra Study Guide

The ARRL website was updated massively last week and these seem to have disappeared. This sucks, because I was going to start studying for extra...

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
That sucks! The only think I really used the study guides for were to find formulas. I mostly used the practice tests from QRZ. That's probably your best route is to just hammer the QRZ tests and look up equations when those questions pop up.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AstroZamboni posted:

The ARRL website was updated massively last week and these seem to have disappeared. This sucks, because I was going to start studying for extra...

I have them on my laptop.

NOW I HAVE THEM ON MY HOSTING

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 23, 2010

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

AstroZamboni posted:

http://www.arrl.org/question-pools -links to NCVEC

Of course the zip file should work too

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
That post I put up earlier with links to study guides still works. Only one of those was hosted on the ARRL site and I fixed the link.

Here's the links again for anyone who needs them.

Technician Study Guide

General Study Guide

Extra Study Guide

xergm fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 23, 2010

SiB
May 6, 2005
Alright i've had enough, time to get my Basic... I am in Canada, Should be VE6***.

I had an interest in HAM about 15 years ago but didn't get my license then, reading this whole thread definitely has renewed my interest again. Ill start with a handheld that can go everywhere with me.. see where it goes from there. Found the local club website and all the testing info.

Can I use the same materials as the US for the Canadian test?

EDIT: Found some good study materials.... http://www.emergencyradio.ca/course/

SiB fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 23, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Wow! It only took 4 days for my callsign to appear in the ULS database!

KF7JKA

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Why not... build your own private cell phone network?

quote:

The task of running a cellular network has usually been reserved for major carriers. But now an open-source project called OpenBTS is proving that almost anyone can cheaply run a network with parts from a home-­supply or auto-supply store. Cell-phone users within such a network can place calls to each other and--if the network is connected to the Internet--to people anywhere in the world.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

SiB posted:

Alright i've had enough, time to get my Basic... I am in Canada, Should be VE6***.

I had an interest in HAM about 15 years ago but didn't get my license then, reading this whole thread definitely has renewed my interest again. Ill start with a handheld that can go everywhere with me.. see where it goes from there. Found the local club website and all the testing info.

Can I use the same materials as the US for the Canadian test?

EDIT: Found some good study materials.... http://www.emergencyradio.ca/course/

http://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/beginner-info/exhaminer/ Get this and the question pack. Start going through it. This is the actual exam bank. IC has a tester but it loving sucks balls. I think they use it to generate the tests though. It's the same question bank regardless.

I took a Basic course at NARC in Edmonton. For 50 bucks, we got the study guide, a year membership at NARC, and the test included. It was a pretty good deal.

Also, you can pick a VA6***.

SiB
May 6, 2005

DocCynical posted:

http://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/beginner-info/exhaminer/ Get this and the question pack. Start going through it. This is the actual exam bank. IC has a tester but it loving sucks balls. I think they use it to generate the tests though. It's the same question bank regardless.

I took a Basic course at NARC in Edmonton. For 50 bucks, we got the study guide, a year membership at NARC, and the test included. It was a pretty good deal.

Also, you can pick a VA6***.

Excellent thanks! Have the tester running with the basic.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xergm posted:

I want from non-ham to Extra on my first try.

I did this too, a year or two ago, thanks to this thread and some EE courses in school. Since then I have done jack, rear end, and poo poo. I need help getting interested again... The local repeater nets are a bit boring when there aren't any tornadoes, and I haven't learned any code beyond my own call. Any suggestions for stoking the fires? I have a VHF/UHF HT (FT-60R has the right arrangement of knobs) with homemade J-pole, and all sorts of ambition but no practical expectation of building some QRP equipment. Maybe I should just gently caress off with that idea and buy a cheap but decent HF rig. CW appeals to me the most. I'm not going to be able to manage much beyond a stealth or attic type of antenna though, suburbia ahoy.

Is the Yaesu 817 really that good? I loving hate menus and I am a big fan of purpose-specific knobs (hence the FT60-R with separate knobs for freq, volume, and squelch). I'm interested in the USRP and GNU Radio, but don't see having the time for programming on that in the foreseeable future.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

slap me silly posted:

I did this too, a year or two ago, thanks to this thread and some EE courses in school. Since then I have done jack, rear end, and poo poo. I need help getting interested again... The local repeater nets are a bit boring when there aren't any tornadoes, and I haven't learned any code beyond my own call. Any suggestions for stoking the fires? I have a VHF/UHF HT (FT-60R has the right arrangement of knobs) with homemade J-pole, and all sorts of ambition but no practical expectation of building some QRP equipment. Maybe I should just gently caress off with that idea and buy a cheap but decent HF rig. CW appeals to me the most. I'm not going to be able to manage much beyond a stealth or attic type of antenna though, suburbia ahoy.

Is the Yaesu 817 really that good? I loving hate menus and I am a big fan of purpose-specific knobs (hence the FT60-R with separate knobs for freq, volume, and squelch). I'm interested in the USRP and GNU Radio, but don't see having the time for programming on that in the foreseeable future.

You might want to pick up an older radio if you aren't a menu kinda person. I've got an old Yaesu FT-101 rig that has knobs for everything. It doesn't have DSP or any of the fancy stuff the newer rigs do, but it works and there's nothing to remember how to get to in a cascade of menu screens.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BigHustle posted:

You might want to pick up an older radio if you aren't a menu kinda person. I've got an old Yaesu FT-101 rig that has knobs for everything. It doesn't have DSP or any of the fancy stuff the newer rigs do, but it works and there's nothing to remember how to get to in a cascade of menu screens.

It also gives greybeards massive hard-ons. :smugdog:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestion. Holy poo poo: http://www.qsl.net/nw2m/ (sorry, guess the FT-101 insanity page has probably been posted already somewhere in this thread)

My beard started going grey a couple years back. My oldest Windows installation is XP right now but I'll try to do better.

slap me silly posted:

The local repeater nets are a bit boring when there aren't any tornadoes
...aaand we may be having tornadoes today. Everybody's struggling to get nets together right now. Kinda sounds like somebody's having trouble programming the repeaters.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

TC the Giant posted:

It also gives greybeards massive hard-ons. :smugdog:

This too. You should also be prepared for 'I had one of these back in the day' and 'That rig came out when being a ham MEANT SOMETHING' kinds of comments. When I took my FT-101 to the local club, a lot of the OFs came over to reminisce, but only one made a jab about me being a 'no-code'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Sorry for the double post... Slap beat me to the reply.

slap me silly posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Holy poo poo: http://www.qsl.net/nw2m/ (sorry, guess the FT-101 insanity page has probably been posted already somewhere in this thread)

If you want REAL insanity, check out Fox Tango. Anything you want to know about any Yaesu rig, new or old, is there. Their 101 page is especially poorly laid out.

Be warned... If you get an old Yaesu and sign up for their Yahoo Groups, opt for digest mode or online only unless you want an inbox full of emails.