Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When did Rocky Maivia become the Rock? I wasn't watching wrestling at the time so was he just Maivia one week and come out the next week cutting a promo saying Im the Rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

oldpainless posted:

When did Rocky Maivia become the Rock? I wasn't watching wrestling at the time so was he just Maivia one week and come out the next week cutting a promo saying Im the Rock?

From Wiki:
After losing the Intercontinental Championship to Owen Hart on the April 28, 1997 edition of Raw is War,[19] and returning from an injury, Johnson turned into a heel character (villain). He joined the Nation of Domination with Faarooq, D'Lo Brown, and Kama, using the ring name "The Rock" Rocky Maivia, which was quickly shortened to simply "The Rock".[20] During that time, Johnson attacked and insulted the fans in his promos. In sharp contrast to the overly positive persona of Rocky Maivia, The Rock was a charismatic bully, eventually driving out the group leader, Faarooq in March 1998.[20] The Rock also referred to himself in the third person, starting many sentences with "The Rock says..."[20]

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
God I hated The Rock when I was young and wanted Austin to kick his rear end constantly.

He was so good at what he did :unsmith:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The heel turn itself (RAW 8/11/97)
His first heel promo the following week (full promo here)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Burrito posted:

God I hated The Rock when I was young and wanted Austin to kick his rear end constantly.

He was so good at what he did :unsmith:

I couldn't hate The Rock because he was so drat entertaining and my entire circle of friends took to throwing Rock quotes at each other at every passing opportunity. As well as the occasional Rock Bottom.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

rotinaj posted:

The WWE should allow as many chairshots as the wrestlers want.

Just don't take them unprotected to the head. Put your arms up. Take it on the back. Or the chest. Or the shoulder. Or the leg. Or the ankle. Or the knee. Or the stomach. There's a zillion places to get smacked with a chair that won't give wrestlers concussions.

gently caress.

I don't want to limit the use of chairshots because violence in my wrestling? :ohdear:, but I think they should be scaled back more so hitting someone will actually mean something.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think wrestling should consist of only unprotected chair shots to the head. Also, the chairs should have blades on them, so guys don't have to blade themselves anymore.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trollologist posted:

I think wrestling should consist of only unprotected chair shots to the head. Also, the chairs should have blades on them, so guys don't have to blade themselves anymore.

This is basically CZW.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

tzirean posted:

This is basically CZW.

This made me realize I never actually saw anything from CZW and look them up on Youtube.

These are the dumbest-assed motherfuckers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

This is basically CZW.

Yeah.

I could probably find you a razorblade board/chair match if you want, dude. They exist.

God, deathmatch tournaments are my secret shame. It's hilarious to watch these guys horribly loving themselves up for little pay and no glory outside of a gym with 50-60 people in 'em.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Yeah.

I could probably find you a razorblade board/chair match if you want, dude. They exist.

God, deathmatch tournaments are my secret shame. It's hilarious to watch these guys horribly loving themselves up for little pay and no glory outside of a gym with 50-60 people in 'em.

You must be in absolute love with IWA:MS then.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My favorite death match weapon is the stick with the giant water bottle wrapped in barbed wire on the end.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

LightsGameraAction posted:

This made me realize I never actually saw anything from CZW and look them up on Youtube.

These are the dumbest-assed motherfuckers.

That's pretty much everyone's first reaction to CZW.

Check out IWA-Mid South as well for the same reaction.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

You must be in absolute love with IWA:MS then.

Actually? Yes, I do/did. IWA:MS is really the place that didn't do poorly done/totally retarded deathmatch stuff like CZW and still put on regular deathmatch tournaments.

CZW is a really, really bad fed. Worlds worse than IWA:MS. Ian is a lovely booker and a terrible wrestler and any vanity angle he does is awful, but his tournament shows, both King of the Deathmatch and the TPI are entertaining.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neodoomium posted:

That's pretty much everyone's first reaction to CZW.

Check out IWA-Mid South as well for the same reaction.

The best thing about IWA-MS death matches is when Chuck Taylor would come out after those matches and start pitching a fit because he found a thumb tack in the ring.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Burrito posted:

The best thing about IWA-MS death matches is when Chuck Taylor would come out after those matches and start pitching a fit because he found a thumb tack in the ring.

If Mick Foley taught us anything, it's that one of the benefits of a hardcore fed is that you can make a heel very easily by having a guy just refuse to do anything hardcore.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

IWA-MS has had some good matches over the years (despite Ian's awfulness) like Delirious vs El Generico or Necro vs Joe or Necro vs Low Ki. But I hate death match stuff so \/:shobon:\/

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Is there any dream matches that anyone wants to happen within WWE at the moment with their current rosters?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Is there any dream matches that anyone wants to happen within WWE at the moment with their current rosters?

Have Kofi and Rey ever had a 1 on 1 match?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Shitty_Wok posted:

Have Kofi and Rey ever had a 1 on 1 match?

Yeah Rey beat him in 3 minutes.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

The Berzerker posted:

IWA-MS has had some good matches over the years (despite Ian's awfulness) like Delirious vs El Generico or Necro vs Joe or Necro vs Low Ki. But I hate death match stuff so \/:shobon:\/
Wasn't Rey vs Eddie vs Punk in IWA:MS?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Yoshi Tatsu vs. Everybody

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TheOneTrueKing posted:

While technically the ban is on "unprotected" chair shots to the head, it really means no chair shots to the head at all ever again. I'm going to miss the one man conchairto.

It's banned with a fine involved.

Meaning if two guys feel their feud needs an unprotected head shot to put it to the next level, they'll take the fine and do it.

Trust me, this isn't the last you'll see of headshots. Just the last of headshots for no good reason.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Have Bourne and Rey ever gone 1-on-1?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Have Bourne and Rey ever gone 1-on-1?

Yes. On some Raw. I think Bourne actually went over. This was when he was on ECW.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Bourne/Mysterio with proper time given to it.

Edge/Christian and Cena/Undertaker too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I can't be the only one who, for some perverse reason, would love to see Batista vs. Sheamus. Or Sheamus vs. Undertaker.

Also, Miz vs. Morrison, but built as a one on one feud and with a proper PPV blowoff for it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

TL posted:

I can't be the only one who, for some perverse reason, would love to see Batista vs. Sheamus. Or Sheamus vs. Undertaker.

Also, Miz vs. Morrison, but built as a one on one feud and with a proper PPV blowoff for it.

I could watch Miz vs. Morrison feud forever.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

TheOneTrueKing posted:

While technically the ban is on "unprotected" chair shots to the head, it really means no chair shots to the head at all ever again. I'm going to miss the one man conchairto.

Why would they stop the use of the conchairto? It's not like Edge actually smacked them in the head. The worst the would actually get would probably be a ringing in their ears for a bit.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Veg posted:

Edge/Christian

Oh yes, this.

Also re-uniting them and giving them a face tag-team run. Given how they've both grown as performers it would be pretty amazing.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I haven't watched Raw in a long time, is it getting worse it has it peaked awfulness?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How much truth is there to the rumor that Vince told Jericho that he was the worst champion of all time during his first undisputed run?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ultimateforce posted:

I haven't watched Raw in a long time, is it getting worse it has it peaked awfulness?

They seem to know what they're doing with the guest hosts now (or at least know how to make the show embarrassing to watch for only a few minutes with the bad ones), so it only gets unwatchable once a month, tops.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

I've only been watching it regularly again since November-ish but I'd have to say that apart from the Jerry Springer guest-host episode(which as far as I'm concerned was the peak awfulness) the show has gotten exponentially better since then.

There's still problems, most of the matches are far too short and wind up looking like squashes. The guest host spots have been cut back a lot or at least worked into the flow of the matches better but there's still enough of them that they don't always find an appropriate amount of time to focus on each feud.

Still it's gotten much better as I've been watching it, but just judging by the WWE discussion thread I think a lot of whether you think it's better or worse has to do with your tolerance of the guest hosts. So it's very much a different strokes situation.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
every raw is literally the worst raw EVER

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You can't make smarks happy. Today sucks, yesterday sucked, 2002 sucked, and 2012 will suck.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Of course today sucks, TNA is on.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Of course today sucks, TNA is on.

But it's the same TNA we've already seen!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

"Dream Matches" are hard to come by these days because there's too much drat TV time. :argh: The big matchups get burned through too quickly when you've got 4-6 hours a week to fill. I miss that feeling of excitement you'd get when two wrestlers who had never been in the same ring would finally have a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Burrito posted:

But it's the same TNA we've already seen!

Even worse!