Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
For those of you who have liked my 6mm stuff on my blog check out this guys blog.

Puts mine to shame.

http://mikes-lead.blogspot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
Since Warhammer Historical games came up, has anyone played Legends of the Old West? Is it pretty much a themed Necromunda/Mordheim or what?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Since Warhammer Historical games came up, has anyone played Legends of the Old West? Is it pretty much a themed Necromunda/Mordheim or what?

No, it's more like a themed LotR.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

And its great fun. We play it quite often.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

More specifically, it's LoTR's combat system with Mordheim's campaign system grafted on. It's the best skirmish game that GW's ever released.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, so I'm buying some tiny cowboys then. Wargames Foundry the best place for 28mm old west? Because they're the only ones I can think of really.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just got a deal on 1:72 cowboys at Ollie's. Also about 200 cows.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Alright, so I'm buying some tiny cowboys then. Wargames Foundry the best place for 28mm old west? Because they're the only ones I can think of really.

They have the biggest range, but the best models are Black Scorpion in my opinion.

http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=aa3d0fabbfc0a171ccb5892f667d49b9

Here's my Foundry Cowboys- Foundry paint up very quickly and easily.

Click here for the full 1200x478 image.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
So I picked up Lasalle on Saturday, looks pretty cool and I should be able to rope a few people in to playing, what are some good sources of 15mm Napoleonics figures, and what companies make the best one? Old Glory looks nice and cheap, but there WWII stuff was pretty craptacular (at least the vehicles are), are the men any better?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

DeceasedHorse posted:

So I picked up Lasalle on Saturday, looks pretty cool and I should be able to rope a few people in to playing, what are some good sources of 15mm Napoleonics figures, and what companies make the best one? Old Glory looks nice and cheap, but there WWII stuff was pretty craptacular (at least the vehicles are), are the men any better?

AB Miniatures have the reputation for nicest Napoleonic 15mm (although they call them 18mm) figures

http://www.eurekaminusa.com/

They even have a sale on right now and special unit deals for Lasalle.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Even Grand Moff Tarkin likes historicals!

http://vodpod.com/watch/3136799-british-pathe-peter-cushing

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Peter Cushing was pretty awesome in just about every way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Also:

quote:

Old Glory Miniatures Order ID: 14497
Customer Details:
REDACTED

Shipping Method: Standard Shipping
--------------------------
Product ID: AWI-121
Product Name: Red Indians
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $9.50
Product ID: AWI-116
Product Name: Generals
Product ID: AWI-112
Product Name: American Riflemen Skirmishing
Product ID: AWI-110
Product Name: Militia Command
Product ID: AWI-109
Product Name: American Light Infantry Skirmishing
Product ID: AWI-103
Product Name: Continental Infantry Command Hunting Shirt
Product ID: AWI-111
Product Name: Militia
Unit Price: $16.00
Order Total : $73.00
Shipping : $9.00
Handling : $3.00
Grand Total : $85.00

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Even Grand Moff Tarkin likes historicals!

http://vodpod.com/watch/3136799-british-pathe-peter-cushing

He has that slightly insane look in his eyes when pouring over his models that makes it obvious that was really into it. Too bad I'm not allowed to arrange my minis all over the floor. :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

He has that slightly insane look in his eyes when pouring over his models that makes it obvious that was really into it. Too bad I'm not allowed to arrange my minis all over the floor. :(

It's easier to do at 54mm than it is at 6mm.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Having gotten into FoW, I'd like to sink my teeth into something closer to my heart: classical wargames. But I can't justify playing in 15mm or 28mm, it has to be 6mm to really capture the feeling, and I'd like to do something like a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio for men on the field (250-500 minis representing just one legion? Yes please). Can I do something like this with the basing system in FoG? I'm not sure of how the basing works and I really just want thousands on the battlefield.

I know I'm crazy.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sokrateez posted:

Having gotten into FoW, I'd like to sink my teeth into something closer to my heart: classical wargames. But I can't justify playing in 15mm or 28mm, it has to be 6mm to really capture the feeling, and I'd like to do something like a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio for men on the field (250-500 minis representing just one legion? Yes please). Can I do something like this with the basing system in FoG? I'm not sure of how the basing works and I really just want thousands on the battlefield.

I know I'm crazy.

That's actually what I am doing right now. If you don't want to bother with scaling movement distances etc., you can just cram more models on the same base size for FoG that you would use for 15mm miniatures. I'm doing that with my samurai, here they are based 14 per base (heavy infantry would normally be 4 miniatures on such a base in 15mm). Each base in FoG for 15mm and smaller is 40mm wide and anywhere from 15mm to 40mm deep.

6 bases, which is the normal size of a battlegroup of infantry in FoG. 6mm samurai based for FoG...

...compared to 6 bases of my 15mm hoplites, based on the same size of bases

The only real problem I can see is that you are far more limited in the number of available ranges in 6mm than with 15mm. For 15mm you can find pretty much any army that ever formed anywhere, while there are only a few companies making 6mm. But if you want large massed armies that still look like humans rather than tiny bumps on a base, 6mm is perfect. I think I already have more 6mm miniatures than all my other armies combined, and I just started collecting. It's pretty insane painting batches of 300 miniatures. But they paint up really fast, I bet I could do 100 Romans in a few hours.

Check out Baccus, they are even re-doing a lot of their Ancient ranges this year, to make them even nicer. While you might not be able to unusual armies like Kushites or Jewish revolters, you can still find some major Ancient armies like Persians, Carthaginians and Celts: https://www.baccus6mm.com/

EDIT: not a FoG army, but some Baccus 6mm Romans for inspiration: http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/minis/miniother/Rome6mm/index.html

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 20, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Dont forget Irregular and Heroics and Ros, who both have much larger ranges than Baccus. They arent as nice quality figures but to be honest, once painted up they look fine.

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/indexes/6mmindex.htm

http://www.heroicsandros.co.uk/heroics/pdf/webcat.pdf

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Dont forget Irregular and Heroics and Ros, who both have much larger ranges than Baccus. They arent as nice quality figures but to be honest, once painted up they look fine.

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/indexes/6mmindex.htm

http://www.heroicsandros.co.uk/heroics/pdf/webcat.pdf

Irregular has the comedy option of 2mm, but IMHO it looks so flat you might as well just play with chits at that point. I haven't seen Heroics and Ros before, but I'm vary of ordering anything without seeing pictures. And I'm not printing and sending a written order to the UK in the year 2010.

I'm thinking of maybe trying Irregular later on since they have Chinese and Mongols to make opposing armies, and Irregular are very cheap. The battle packs with two opposing Ancient armies for 15 quid is very tempting.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 20, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

http://www.gildasfacit.btinternet.co.uk/6mm/HR_6mm_scans.htm

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I think I'm going to go with Bacchus for my classical armies, and those Napoleonic and ACW figures look great too, I'd wanted to try Black Powder anyhow. But how exactly does the battlegroup system work for FoG? Ideally I'd like a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio for men on the bases to men on the battlefield, and for 40x15mm bases, assuming 1:20, that means anywhere from 8 to 16 bases to represent a legion (depends on how many stands I can jam on the base). So does that mean a legion would be seperated into different battlegroups, or what?

And I'm entirely at a loss for how Black Powder basing/unit grouping works, anyone care to explain?

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 21, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

For those curious about Flames of War:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmfuPJehpU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMZ3SqYdnj8&NR=1

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 21, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

You know what else?

I just bought those Americans and Indians (who I can use for both sides), but that means I'm going to need more Redcoats. And probably some Hessians. And French.

IT NEVER ENDS!

Oh also more artillery.

And cavalry/dragoons.

And....

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sokrateez posted:

So I think I'm going to go with Bacchus for my classical armies, and those Napoleonic and ACW figures look great too, I'd wanted to try Black Powder anyhow. But how exactly does the battlegroup system work for FoG? Ideally I'd like a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio for men on the bases to men on the battlefield, and for 40x15mm bases, assuming 1:20, that means anywhere from 8 to 16 bases to represent a legion (depends on how many stands I can jam on the base). So does that mean a legion would be seperated into different battlegroups, or what?

And I'm entirely at a loss for how Black Powder basing/unit grouping works, anyone care to explain?

A battlegroup is a "unit", usually 4 to 8 bases. Elite infantry like legionnaires are most often seen in battlegroups of 4 bases. You want them in several battlegroups because each individual base can't move on it's own, so if you have them all in one BG you can't split them up when needed etc.

For example, here's a late republican roman army I ripped from the FoG forums. It's 650 points, which is sort of the beginner level size when you start to get an actual army:

IC (this means Inspired Commander, which means that your main general has better abilities to command)
TCX2 (Troop Commanders, which can also help)
Fort. Camp (your camp is more difficult to loot)
Superior Legion X4 bases
Superior Legion X4
Superior Legion X4
Superior Legion X4
Superior Legion X4
Armored Sup Cav X4
Armored Sup Cav X4
Light Foot Javelins X6
Spanish Medium Foot Impact Sword X6

Here you have the legionnaires divided up into five battlegroups of four bases, with four battlegroups of supporting cavalry and medium/light infantry.

Or you can experiment with larger battlegroups mixed with smaller, which gives you some battlegroups that are hardier since battlegroups losing half their bases is a bad thing in FoG. It also depends on how many auxiliary troops you want, this list is the same points but with less points spent on good commanders and auxilia, and more on legionnaires:

3 xTCs
1 x 6 LF Sling
1 x 4 Sup Prot Cav
4 x 4 Sup Legionaries
2 x 8 Sup Legionaries
Fortified Camp

Any of these would give you around 20 bases of legionnaires. If you bunch 12-14 on each base, you would be pretty close to a 1:20 ratio for the infantry if you want to emulate a 5000 infantry strong legion. It would require 260 miniatures or so for the legionnaires, which is about 2.5 bags from Baccus. For a 1:10 ratio you would just have to play with more points, say roughly 1200 points, which means more bases in more battlegroups.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 21, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think I might buy a couple of these 12x24 sheets to put on my bases.

Then I just need to find some then metal strips to use as movement bases.

I noticed yesterday when I was putting my AWI minis on the shelf that they're hard to keep lined up, and that's on a nice, flat shelf. I can't imagine what a pain in the rear end it must be on battlefield table.

Also, it's cheaper than using GF9's system for FoW.

EDIT: Although GF9 sells the rubber steel stuff I'd need for a half-decent price, I suppose.

EDIT2: Although for FoW I bet I could just stick them to a cookie sheet for cheap, since they don't need movement trays.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 21, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sokrateez posted:

However you like.

Seriously.

The game is suggested for play at 28mm, and units are grouped into tiny, small, normal or large. Most of the time you will play with normal sized units. At 28mm the writers suggesr 24-36 figures based 4 to a base on 40mm squares. This is how I am doing 28mm but I also play in other scales.

At 6mm I use 2 60x30mm bases with 24 figs on as a normal sized unit and at 10mm, I base 4 figs to a 25x25 base and use 6 as a standrad sized unit.

It doesnt really matter though, as long as you scale distances to match and the appendix in the rules helps with that.

The whole point of Black Powder is that its as flexible as possible.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Spank me purple and call me Daisy, I didn't think they would release this until 2017:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/84801/

Now we'll just have to see if it was worth the wait.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Woah!

And it will be available at Salute.

Guess where I will be on Saturday!

Wooohoo

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oooh nice.

When one of you gets it and delves in to it, give me a write-up and I'll put it in the OP.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

For someone about to get into FoW, this helped a lot.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oh god, the release of WAB 2.0 has got me wodnering about doing it in 28mm (we do it in 15mm but I have never really been that keen- I just cant get on with 15mm fgiures).
It doesnt help that Warlord Games have this ofer on for Salute:

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=5615

* 60 Imperial Roman Legionaries
* 20 Praetorian Guard
* 20 Veterans
* 24 Auxiliaries

+waterslide shield transfers

All for £51- that works out at about 2400 points before you add in any characters or other bits like slingers, cavalry and ballistas!

Bless historical plastics!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Status report: painting 300 back banners is challanging my sanity. But at least I'll be about halfways done with the batch once I finish this goddamn white.

However, that doesn't deter me from considering buying enough Mongols and Chinese from Irregular Miniatures to make opposing DBA armies once I have enough for a DBA army or two.

Or Khmer, who are pretty far from historical enemies but have elephants!

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 24, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Status report: painting 300 back banners is challanging my sanity. But at least I'll be about halfways done with the batch once I finish this goddamn white.

However, that doesn't deter me from considering buying enough Mongols and Chinese from Irregular Miniatures to make opposing DBA armies once I have enough for a DBA army or two.

Or Khmer, who are pretty far from historical enemies but have elephants!

That's the fun part with historicals! Who cars who their traditional enemies were!? :)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Some history nerds, such as myself, care too much. Attempting to find and convert these order of battle tables are only half as bad as buying 2 different wargames and close to 600 minis at the same time I guess though. Oh Napoleon, I knew I couldnt resist for long :(

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 21, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Salute 2010 was a great day out.

Spent far too much money of course.

Got myself some of the new Perry's plastic Hussars and they are bloody lovely- also picked up the free Marshal Ney on horseback figure they were bundling in. Was going to try resisting buying any artillery but the Perry artillery packs called and I bought a couple. I also got a couple of generals from Front Rank to add to my now growing army for Black Powder.

Got a good deal on the Flames of War (I dont play it) River system. Ive been trying for a few years to buy a decent river and every show I come away with out one, so this year I said sod it and bought it. Its not too shabby really, and it was a good deal.

I managed to avoid buying the Warlord Games Roman deal I linked above-I was amazed to see some other stalls were selling it even cheaper than Warlord Games was!

Managed to get a photo of Rifelman Harris from Sharpe in full costume which was funny, and spent a good hour playing on Warlord Games Black Powder demo game which was really inspiring, and has me ithcing to try and get my French army painted ASAP.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Salute 2010 was a great day out.

Spent far too much money of course.

Got myself some of the new Perry's plastic Hussars and they are bloody lovely- also picked up the free Marshal Ney on horseback figure they were bundling in. Was going to try resisting buying any artillery but the Perry artillery packs called and I bought a couple. I also got a couple of generals from Front Rank to add to my now growing army for Black Powder.

Got a good deal on the Flames of War (I dont play it) River system. Ive been trying for a few years to buy a decent river and every show I come away with out one, so this year I said sod it and bought it. Its not too shabby really, and it was a good deal.

I managed to avoid buying the Warlord Games Roman deal I linked above-I was amazed to see some other stalls were selling it even cheaper than Warlord Games was!

Managed to get a photo of Rifelman Harris from Sharpe in full costume which was funny, and spent a good hour playing on Warlord Games Black Powder demo game which was really inspiring, and has me ithcing to try and get my French army painted ASAP.

Sounds great. With the new cavalry coming out and Victrix starting to make plastic artillery too, it doesn't seem too long before you can get almost two entire opposing Nappy armies in plastic, which is really cool.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Sounds great. With the new cavalry coming out and Victrix starting to make plastic artillery too, it doesn't seem too long before you can get almost two entire opposing Nappy armies in plastic, which is really cool.

Spoke to the Victrix dudes- if the Brit artillery (which went on sale for the first time at Salute, and looks awesome) sells well they will do French next!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I bought some 10mm AWI models from Old Glory, hoping to boost what I already got from Pendraken (specifically officers, riflemen, and natives). Unfortunately, Old Glory doesn't have pictures, so I didn't realize most of them are grouped together in 5s, which really doesn't fit my basing scheme.

And this is why taking pictures of your minis is important because now I'm reluctant to buy anything else from them ever again.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I bought some 10mm AWI models from Old Glory, hoping to boost what I already got from Pendraken (specifically officers, riflemen, and natives). Unfortunately, Old Glory doesn't have pictures, so I didn't realize most of them are grouped together in 5s, which really doesn't fit my basing scheme.

And this is why taking pictures of your minis is important because now I'm reluctant to buy anything else from them ever again.

You mean there's five on each strip? Why don't you just cut them off from the strip and base them? That's how I do with my 6mm stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

Old Glory 10mm are all in strips of 5. Thats just the way they roll.