Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
These are super long shots but here goes:

A point and click kind of game. Must have been educational somehow, because I played it in my UK primary school around 1997-1999. The controlled character was a black girl who I think wore a red top. Graphics were realistic, not cartoony. I remember walking this character through her town. The one screen I remember most of is coming alongside a kind of barn outside of the town and seeing a blueish-grey multi-stemmed mushroom thing in the distance. :confused:

A historical edu-tainment game, played again in the UK primary school around '95. Involved digging in an archaeological site, shown top-down with a grid view - you could dig up various items from the Anglo-Saxon period and then be transported back in time to that era. Now thinking about it it wasn't so much a game as "click on things to learn about them" but I remember loving it.

Finally something not edutainment but almost as old - I remember reading about it in what was probably a PlayStation magazine (before the dawn of PS2), but could have been an XBox mag (though I don't think so). You controlled a boy who had been somehow experimented on and was in a scientific facility. There was a strong emphasis on his psychic abilities and killing/incapacitating his guards. I never actually played it, only read the review, but it's been haunting me for years and I've never found anything resembling it.

Sorry for the vague descriptions, I'm racking my brains to think of anything else but I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

eating only apples posted:

Finally something not edutainment but almost as old - I remember reading about it in what was probably a PlayStation magazine (before the dawn of PS2), but could have been an XBox mag (though I don't think so). You controlled a boy who had been somehow experimented on and was in a scientific facility. There was a strong emphasis on his psychic abilities and killing/incapacitating his guards. I never actually played it, only read the review, but it's been haunting me for years and I've never found anything resembling it.

Galerians?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Grey posted:

Galerians?
That's it! The first screenshot on the second row is the only image I remember from the article. Thanks!

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

A historical edu-tainment game, played again in the UK primary school around '95. Involved digging in an archaeological site, shown top-down with a grid view - you could dig up various items from the Anglo-Saxon period and then be transported back in time to that era. Now thinking about it it wasn't so much a game as "click on things to learn about them" but I remember loving it.

Was it on an Acorn Archimedes computer? If so, I think the game you are looking for is simply called 'Archaeology', possibly made by the BBC.

Giant Moth
Feb 11, 2008
Happymoth
I remember playing an old PC game, this was like back in 96-98 or somesuch. It was a space strategy game, you started out at a planet and had to build it up, and then got to send over mining ships and colonies to other planets.

What I remember quite clear about it was that you had to purchase different advisors and leaders for money, each of them improving their area of expertise quite differently (military, economic, industrial, etc).

I also remember that you got in contact with an alien race, the kind of martian "grey" type. They wanted your help to fight a more aggressive alien race, that would obliterate them if you didn't help them.

That's all I can remember of it, I was very young when I played this, but I've always wanted to find out about it again.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

teamgod posted:

Here's an oldie for you guys: it was a top-view racing game for the C64 where you had to drive through a track that would continually get narrower and narrower as you went along. As soon as you hit the side your car would blow up.

Is it The Last V8?

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Giant Moth posted:

I remember playing an old PC game, this was like back in 96-98 or somesuch. It was a space strategy game, you started out at a planet and had to build it up, and then got to send over mining ships and colonies to other planets.

What I remember quite clear about it was that you had to purchase different advisors and leaders for money, each of them improving their area of expertise quite differently (military, economic, industrial, etc).

I also remember that you got in contact with an alien race, the kind of martian "grey" type. They wanted your help to fight a more aggressive alien race, that would obliterate them if you didn't help them.

That's all I can remember of it, I was very young when I played this, but I've always wanted to find out about it again.

That sounds like Reunion.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

The Entity posted:

Was it on an Acorn Archimedes computer? If so, I think the game you are looking for is simply called 'Archaeology', possibly made by the BBC.

Could well be, but of course it's impossible to find out if so because no combination of "BBC" "archaeology" and "Acorn Archimedes" brings up anything relevant on Google. Thanks though!

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
There was some game form Genesis or SNES (pretty sure it was Genesis) where you went through a maze (full 3D, Doom style) and at the end, an alarm would sound and you had to get back to the beginning in a set amount of time. Nobody has ever been able to figure it out, and it's bugged me forever. I'm probably remembering it wrong too.

Giant Moth
Feb 11, 2008
Happymoth

Psychorider posted:

That sounds like Reunion.

Yes, it is!

Found it here too. Awesome, this brings back memories.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

You're thinking of Arcventure IV: The Anglo-Saxons by Sherston Software. (They're still around, selling versions of the first three Arcventure games for Windows.)

Unfortunately, it appears that no one has made disk images for any of the Acorn Archimedes or BBC Micro(?) versions as they are not listed in TOSEC at all.

This company seems to have an Acorn copy for sale: http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/newprodpages/prodinfo.php?prodcode=SHE-ARC4

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

SoniCRIME TheRapy posted:

There was some game form Genesis or SNES (pretty sure it was Genesis) where you went through a maze (full 3D, Doom style) and at the end, an alarm would sound and you had to get back to the beginning in a set amount of time. Nobody has ever been able to figure it out, and it's bugged me forever. I'm probably remembering it wrong too.
Faceball 2000 was a really early Doom-like for the SNES, so that might be it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

snackmar posted:

You're thinking of Arcventure IV: The Anglo-Saxons by Sherston Software. (They're still around, selling versions of the first three Arcventure games for Windows.)

Unfortunately, it appears that no one has made disk images for any of the Acorn Archimedes or BBC Micro(?) versions as they are not listed in TOSEC at all.

This company seems to have an Acorn copy for sale: http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/newprodpages/prodinfo.php?prodcode=SHE-ARC4
This is definitely the one. I remember the place being Stow like it says on the second link. Damned if I'm paying £40 to play it again but thanks very much. You guys are good!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok, here goes nothing. This will be a tough one I think, as my description will probably be pretty vague.

Years ago, I remember playing an arcade game that reminded me thematically and aesthetically of something close to the Golden Axe universe. However, the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game. You could be one of a few typical fantasy character archetypes, and I can't exactly remember but maybe you could be one of like three people that traveled in a group (the other two being AI or other players next to you). But then again maybe that wasn't the case, and you really travelled alone. I cna't remember for sure. The game was a beat'em'up.

When I say that the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game, I mean it was sort of like a mix somewhere between Turtles in Time and Diablo. The characters took up more screen space than characters in Diablo, but less screen space than the turtles. The floor was split into segments, none of which ever covered the whole screen, and and the game made a lot of use of vertical screen space. I remember the sky (or other background) being viewable in the background though, so it wasn't quite like Diablo where the ground takes up the entire screen... however, often times the game made extensive use of vertical travel, placing lots of floor segments "beneath" other floor segments relative to the screen, so at times there could have been "ground" territory that reached the top of the screen. The environments, I think, were suited to this type of aesthetic, so the levels were things like cliffsides or lots of tiny little mesas in the desert joined by bridges, or dark castles with lots of tiny towers and staircases.

If I remember right, despite all this vertical space, there was only one path you could take... it's just that the path wrapped all around the screen instead of sticking to the classic "left to right" method of side scrolling.

Again, all this was a heavily fantasy environment. I also want to say there was some element of collecting treasure or gold, but I can't be completely certain about that. I'm pretty sure it was sprite based, and had more of a vivid color scheme than a subdued, brownish one. Not "Japanese epilepsy inducing" vivid, but definitely more colorful than, say, early PS3 games or Diablo.

That's about all I've got. I'll edit the post if I think of anything else.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 21, 2010

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, here goes nothing. This will be a tough one I think, as my description will probably be pretty vague.

Years ago, I remember playing an arcade game that reminded me thematically and aesthetically of something close to the Golden Axe universe. However, the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game. You could be one of a few typical fantasy character archetypes, and I can't exactly remember but maybe you could be one of like three people that traveled in a group (the other two being AI or other players next to you). But then again maybe that wasn't the case, and you really travelled alone. I cna't remember for sure. The game was a beat'em'up.

When I say that the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game, I mean it was sort of like a mix somewhere between Turtles in Time and Diablo. The characters took up more screen space than characters in Diablo, but less screen space than the turtles. The floor was split into segments, none of which ever covered the whole screen, and and the game made a lot of use of vertical screen space. I remember the sky (or other background) being viewable in the background though, so it wasn't quite like Diablo where the ground takes up the entire screen... however, often times the game made extensive use of vertical travel, placing lots of floor segments "beneath" other floor segments relative to the screen, so at times there could have been "ground" territory that reached the top of the screen. The environments, I think, were suited to this type of aesthetic, so the levels were things like cliffsides or lots of tiny little mesas in the desert joined by bridges, or dark castles with lots of tiny towers and staircases.

If I remember right, despite all this vertical space, there was only one path you could take... it's just that the path wrapped all around the screen instead of sticking to the classic "left to right" method of side scrolling.

Again, all this was a heavily fantasy environment. I also want to say there was some element of collecting treasure or gold, but I can't be completely certain about that. I'm pretty sure it was sprite based, and had more of a vivid color scheme than a subdued, brownish one. Not "Japanese epilepsy inducing" vivid, but definitely more colorful than, say, early PS3 games or Diablo.

If "years ago" means sometime near 2000, there was a Gauntlet arcade game that worked sorta like this around then. I'm not really sure on this one, but it might steer you more towards the right direction to find that game and thus look for "if you liked this game, you might also like..." stuff.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Years ago, I remember playing an arcade game that reminded me thematically and aesthetically of something close to the Golden Axe universe. However, the game seemed like it was somewhere between a sidescroller and an isometric game.

Was it Dark Seal aka Gate of Doom?

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

Or maybe the sequel, Wizard Fire?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

chairface posted:

If "years ago" means sometime near 2000, there was a Gauntlet arcade game that worked sorta like this around then. I'm not really sure on this one, but it might steer you more towards the right direction to find that game and thus look for "if you liked this game, you might also like..." stuff.

This is what I was thinking as well.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Gaiapolis kinda fits with what you're saying.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

This is definitely the one. I remember the place being Stow like it says on the second link. Damned if I'm paying £40 to play it again but thanks very much. You guys are good!

Maybe your friends could chip in? Consider that your £40 could mean the difference between preservation and oblivion.

(That's laying it on a bit thick, but there are lots of just-obscure-enough computer games that are literally gone forever!)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

snackmar posted:

Was it Dark Seal aka Gate of Doom?

Or maybe the sequel, Wizard Fire?

ponzicar posted:

Gaiapolis kinda fits with what you're saying.

As close as these are to my descriptions, I don't believe they are screens of the game I'm remembering.

If it helps, the game seemed more modern than Gaiapolis, as well as more horizontally viewed.

That Wizard fire game looks more similar to what I'm remembering, but the ground segment in the screenshot is way larger than the ground segments in the game in my head. Also, I believe the camera angle, again, was slightly more horizontally-facing than this game. Also, I believe the main character(s) appeared slightly smaller on the screen.

Oh, also, I seem to remember playing a muscled up barbarian character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This could be Cyber Cop/Corporation or Battle Frenzy/Bloodshot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwq2i6Mq0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFoBJCUIXo

Corporation is kind of dinky today but to me is still amazing for being a fully 3D Shadowrun FPS only made for the Sega Genesis in 1992.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I doubt this will go anywhere, but it's worth a shot.

The first one was a first person RPG(I think), set in the future. You start out stranded on another planet. For some reason all the gameplay was at a bar. There were robots and dispensers you could ask for drinks from, but they were all for alien biologies. I remember being on a quest that involved getting a drink for an alien, drinking it anyway, and promptly passing out. I'm sorry I don't remember more about this game, I think I only played it from a PC Gamer Demo disk 12 years ago.

The second one is a strategy game that let you change the configuration of your robots as they were being built. There were different slots for each upgrade, and the newer parts cost proportionately more. Another game called Warbreeds had this same feature, and I remember playing it at about the same time. This would've probably been a Windows 98 title, but maybe DOS. It would've been released some time between 1995 and 1998.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

I doubt this will go anywhere, but it's worth a shot.

The first one was a first person RPG(I think), set in the future. You start out stranded on another planet. For some reason all the gameplay was at a bar. There were robots and dispensers you could ask for drinks from, but they were all for alien biologies. I remember being on a quest that involved getting a drink for an alien, drinking it anyway, and promptly passing out. I'm sorry I don't remember more about this game, I think I only played it from a PC Gamer Demo disk 12 years ago.

The second one is a strategy game that let you change the configuration of your robots as they were being built. There were different slots for each upgrade, and the newer parts cost proportionately more. Another game called Warbreeds had this same feature, and I remember playing it at about the same time. This would've probably been a Windows 98 title, but maybe DOS. It would've been released some time between 1995 and 1998.

The first one sounds like The Space Bar.

The second might be Mind Rover?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

As close as these are to my descriptions, I don't believe they are screens of the game I'm remembering.

If it helps, the game seemed more modern than Gaiapolis, as well as more horizontally viewed.

That Wizard fire game looks more similar to what I'm remembering, but the ground segment in the screenshot is way larger than the ground segments in the game in my head. Also, I believe the camera angle, again, was slightly more horizontally-facing than this game. Also, I believe the main character(s) appeared slightly smaller on the screen.

Oh, also, I seem to remember playing a muscled up barbarian character.

Dungeon Magic maybe?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying to remember two DOS-based edutainment games. They were platformers, one was numbers, the other was letters. You played as a boy or girl and had a caterpillar or butterfly dude to help you and I'm pretty sure you could call on him to slime enemies.

Bingo!
VVVVVV

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 22, 2010

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

The Orange Mage posted:

I'm trying to remember two DOS-based edutainment games. They were platformers, one was numbers, the other was letters. You played as a boy or girl and had a caterpillar or butterfly dude to help you and I'm pretty sure you could call on him to slime enemies.

Word Rescue and Math Rescue?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Last try on this one for me - Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga 3?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

Was it the Dungeons & Dragons brawler, also known as Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom? It sounds really close to what you're talking about. I recall a lot of levels that left you walk back & forth and heavier use of cramped zones and staircases.

Or possibly the other Capcom D&D game, Shadows over Mystar?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 22, 2010

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Zero Tolerance, possibly?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

The first one sounds like The Space Bar.

The second might be Mind Rover?

The first one is right. I'm embarrassed it's so simple. Thanks!

The second one definitely isn't MindRover, though. It was an RTS similar to Starcraft, except that you could customize each unit that was being produced. It would have a release date no later than 1999.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

It was an RTS similar to Starcraft, except that you could customize each unit that was being produced. It would have a release date no later than 1999.

Warzone 2100 or Earth 2150?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't think this game came out yet, or maybe it was canceled or something. I just saw a trailer for it around a year ago and never heard of it again. The video featured a man being chased through a ruined city. Everyone is wearing ripped up street clothes and they seem to be survivors of some sort of disaster. The man gets cornered and it's revealed that they're chasing him for a single bottle of water. He throws the bottle onto a section of rickety floor and everyone else fall through when they go chasing after it.

It seemed pretty cool, and I'd like to know more about it. I think it had a simple one word title like "Survive" or "Alive" or something.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

This could be Cyber Cop/Corporation or Battle Frenzy/Bloodshot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwq2i6Mq0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFoBJCUIXo

Corporation is kind of dinky today but to me is still amazing for being a fully 3D Shadowrun FPS only made for the Sega Genesis in 1992.

Oooooooh YES it was Battle Frenzy. You rule.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't think this game came out yet, or maybe it was canceled or something. I just saw a trailer for it around a year ago and never heard of it again. The video featured a man being chased through a ruined city. Everyone is wearing ripped up street clothes and they seem to be survivors of some sort of disaster. The man gets cornered and it's revealed that they're chasing him for a single bottle of water. He throws the bottle onto a section of rickety floor and everyone else fall through when they go chasing after it.

It seemed pretty cool, and I'd like to know more about it. I think it had a simple one word title like "Survive" or "Alive" or something.

I Am Alive

Babs Johnson
Jun 26, 2006

Boise, Idaho -
get ready!

ponzicar posted:

San Francisco Rush 2049 possibly?

Holy poo poo thank you, I think this is it. Or actually its sequel I guess? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5o-OoeT1j4&feature=related loving Awesome.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

al-azad posted:

Blasto featuring the voice of Phil Hartman, one of his last projects. It wasn't a bad game but holy gently caress it was the hardest thing on the platform.

Awesome. Thanks!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There's an old strategy game I can't remember the name of. The following details may be sketchy.

It was probably from the early 90s. It involved one continent, divided into different outlined areas in the map view. The continent was like an inverted triangle, roughly. There were several leaders involved and you started off at the bottom of the continent. You had a globe (or two?) of some sort of power - similar in appearance to the Diablo 2 mana globe. When you went to attack a neighbouring region or defend one of your own, it went to a top-down view and you could generally control a single unit. You could take him around and attack with him. There were also siege engines such as mangonels and ballistas that were firing at this time. I think there may have been a castle-planning part where you could set out where you wanted your walls, turrets, troops.

Any ideas?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Anjow posted:

There's an old strategy game I can't remember the name of. The following details may be sketchy.

It was probably from the early 90s. It involved one continent, divided into different outlined areas in the map view. The continent was like an inverted triangle, roughly. There were several leaders involved and you started off at the bottom of the continent. You had a globe (or two?) of some sort of power - similar in appearance to the Diablo 2 mana globe. When you went to attack a neighbouring region or defend one of your own, it went to a top-down view and you could generally control a single unit. You could take him around and attack with him. There were also siege engines such as mangonels and ballistas that were firing at this time. I think there may have been a castle-planning part where you could set out where you wanted your walls, turrets, troops.

Any ideas?

The 'Several Leaders' thing makes me think of Megalomania, but my memories of that are hazy too.

EDIT: Ignore me, some research makes me think I'm wrong.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 23, 2010

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
My first thought is one of the Lord of the Realms games. Likely I or II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Naky posted:

My first thought is one of the Lord of the Realms games. Likely I or II.

It seems that they were on a map of the UK, according to google images. I think this one also had more fantastic colours on the map, not strictly 'map coloured'. Probably a lot of blue.