Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

etalian posted:

WP Rocket= Greatest

Not half as hilarious as Shifter's Jackhammer loaded with Dragon's Breath shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Jesus Christ, IW! What the HELL is up with the loading? Each transition/load takes about 40 seconds on my brand-new rig, and shows the desktop for 5 seconds before starting to load :psyduck:

Is this normal? Goddamn, I can't play this poo poo like this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

etalian posted:

WP Rocket= Greatest

the best possible weapon to use in the raid on the Lucky Money

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samopsa posted:

Jesus Christ, IW! What the HELL is up with the loading? Each transition/load takes about 40 seconds on my brand-new rig, and shows the desktop for 5 seconds before starting to load :psyduck:

Does it on my computer too. Some Steam ports are lovely like that, Jedi Knight is pretty good example of a lovely rigging job.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Samopsa posted:

plz don't play Invisible War

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Samopsa posted:

Welcome to Invisible War's utterly lovely tech. :) (also featuring: randomly resetting .ini files, shadow overlap slowing the game down to a crawl, and so much more!)

Xander77 posted:

Does the Cassandra Project not work with Steam, or is there some sort of a workaround I need? Every time I try to run it, it can't find Cassandra.exe . Tried reinstalling, nothing.

It's because the installer makes a copy of the existing (note: Steam version) executable. What I did was use The Nameless Mod's .exe, since they provide one, and just named it Cassandra.exe - did the same for RedSun2020 too. It ran, for the short period of time that I tested this mod, just fine.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 21, 2010

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Casimir Radon posted:

Does it on my computer too. Some Steam ports are lovely like that, Jedi Knight is pretty good example of a lovely rigging job.

Has nothing to do with Steam, it does it on my retail copy as well. It only started happening when I switched from Windows XP to 7 x64 Ultimate though, so it might be related to that for some reason?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Marund posted:

Has nothing to do with Steam, it does it on my retail copy as well. It only started happening when I switched from Windows XP to 7 x64 Ultimate though, so it might be related to that for some reason?

Supposedly it helps if you make a .bat file that turns off Aero features whenever you run the game, but I haven't bothered. And I remember it doing this in XP too, just much more subtler.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Oh wow, I'd been watching youtube videos so long I forgot Paul does actually tell you that a non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I would actually say the best WP rocket is bagging everyone in the barracks atop the VersaLife building right when you get to Hong Kong.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Samopsa posted:

Unfortunately, it's normal for IW to do that. It's just how it coded.

Jetsetlemming posted:

It has nothing to do with the map being Subtractive. They actively set that surface to nodraw to save on performance, because they didn't expect anybody to see it. Also, back when IW was made, with the Unreal 2 engine, there wasn't an Additive-based mode in Ued. That was added for Unreal 3 and on.
I still prefer working with Subtraction, though. :colbert:

I know

but maybe you should stop being a nostalgic old-timer :smug:

Just a suggestion.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
It would be interesting to play a mod where someone essentially ported Invisible War into Deus Ex. Sure, you'd lose rear end in a top hat physics, but you'd make the game a billion times more playable. :(

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tecman posted:

It would be interesting to play a mod where someone essentially ported Invisible War into Deus Ex. Sure, you'd lose rear end in a top hat physics, but you'd make the game a billion times more playable. :(

This is all just hearsay, but I remember hearing that some modders had made custom levels for Thief: Deadly Shadows that were about as large as levels in the first 2 games thanks to the increased power of modern computers. It would be cool if somebody could tinker with the code to combine areas in IW to make maps that were roughly the size of the ones in the original DX.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It would be cool if somebody could tinker with the code to combine areas in IW to make maps that were roughly the size of the ones in the original DX.
All of Liberty Island on one map? When will the insanity end?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Tecman posted:

And I remember it doing this in XP too, just much more subtler.

I remember the loading having a funky flash but never outright going to desktop in XP. Maybe I just never noticed.

Rebel Blob posted:

All of Liberty Island on one map? When will the insanity end?

It's a dangerous dream, but drat it maybe we need those dangerous dreamers!

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 22, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tecman posted:

It's because the installer makes a copy of the existing (note: Steam version) executable. What I did was use The Nameless Mod's .exe, since they provide one, and just named it Cassandra.exe - did the same for RedSun2020 too. It ran, for the short period of time that I tested this mod, just fine.
That worked for launching the game with the Cassandra map thingy in the beginning... but all the buttons seem to be disabled, so I can only sit and stare at the DX logo spinning.

Help?

Some more?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

That worked for launching the game with the Cassandra map thingy in the beginning... but all the buttons seem to be disabled, so I can only sit and stare at the DX logo spinning.

Help?

Some more?

Are you launching via the correct shortcut config?

"...deus ex\System\Cassandra.exe" INI=Cassandra.ini USERINI=CassandraUser.ini

Also check how the mod is installed, in other words do you have a new folder in the Deus Ex folder named Cassandra, which holds separate folders for Maps, Save, Sound, System and Textures?

Other than that, I can't recall anything else right now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tecman posted:

Are you launching via the correct shortcut config?
Where do I change that?
(at the moment is stopped launching at all, and just goes "couldn't find steam" - then creates a link to steampowered store)

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
Found the enhanced D3D9 renderer here and tried using New Vision with it. Sure enough no more oddly colored glare on distant wooden surfaces. For some reason though my mouse is utterly crippled in this version of DirectX. Looking to the left is way too fast and looking to the right is extremely sluggish no matter how fast I move the mouse. I've never experienced Deus Ex's quarky mouse acceleration react like this. Is there some setting I'm missing? This renderer has the most configurable options of any I've seen. I'd appreciate someone pointing me to a guide or even offering their own advice with this thing.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Tecman posted:

did the same for RedSun2020 too. It ran, for the short period of time that I tested this mod, just fine.
Is Red Sun 2020 any good as a whole? I remember trying it years ago, going through an entirely 100% pitch black map, and ending in a city environment with no focus that ran horribly, so I quit.

uncleKitchener posted:

I know

but maybe you should stop being a nostalgic old-timer :smug:

Just a suggestion.
:(

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It's not in the OP and I didn't see it mentioned, but the only thing that managed to fix my speed issues was using D3DOverrider to force v-sync on the game. As far as I know the only way to get it is to download RivaTuner, but you don't have to use RivaTuner to use D3DOverrider.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's not in the OP and I didn't see it mentioned, but the only thing that managed to fix my speed issues was using D3DOverrider to force v-sync on the game. As far as I know the only way to get it is to download RivaTuner, but you don't have to use RivaTuner to use D3DOverrider.

The DX10 renderer also has a VSync option in its config.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
gently caress, playing The Nameless Mod some more revealed a ton of awesome poo poo once you reach the WorldCorp Labs and the experiments within. On one hand, you have this lovely internet forum fanfiction circlejerk gimmick. On the other, this is as close as you'll ever get to playing some more Deus Ex.

Oh, it also has a sewer level that rivals VTM: Bloodlines in shittyness. :(

Xander77 posted:

Where do I change that? (at the moment is stopped launching at all, and just goes "couldn't find steam" - then creates a link to steampowered store)

You need to create a shortcut to Cassandra.exe (an executable of Deus Ex that isn't the Steam version's .exe) yourself and add those parameters by rightclicking the shortcut, going into Properties and adding them under Target.

Jetsetlemming posted:

Is Red Sun 2020 any good as a whole? I remember trying it years ago, going through an entirely 100% pitch black map, and ending in a city environment with no focus that ran horribly, so I quit.

No idea, really. I only tried it out by viewing the intro (which is of ...questionable quality), now I'm inside some sort of GLORIOUS NIPPON facility. I'll probably try it out some more, but I'm not expecting any quality.

Also, I almost did my first Quote = Edit. :ohdear:

Tecman fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 22, 2010

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

Samopsa posted:

For me its literally instantaneous and I have about a 3 yr old rig (Core 2 duo + 8800GTX). I *love* how fast this game loads, both the game and the area transtions. I also love that you can hit ESC during the logos and it pulls up the game menu with the normal game start up happening in the background.

I don't play the steam version, maybe that explains it. I had the CD and I just reinstalled it (I have to admit it was this thread that renewed my interest).

EDIT: IGNORE... I missed the IW and assume that's 'Invisible War.' I was referring to the generic Deus Ex, not the sequel.

darnzen fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 22, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

darnzen posted:

For me its literally instantaneous and I have about a 3 yr old rig (Core 2 duo + 8800GTX). I *love* how fast this game loads, both the game and the area transtions. I also love that you can hit ESC during the logos and it pulls up the game menu with the normal game start up happening in the background.

I don't play the steam version, maybe that explains it. I had the CD and I just reinstalled it (I have to admit it was this thread that renewed my interest).

EDIT: IGNORE... I missed the IW and assume that's 'Invisible War.' I was referring to the generic Deus Ex, not the sequel.

Yeah, my PC isn't even a year old and the load times are just as bad as they were when they played it on the Xbox when it first came out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tecman posted:

gently caress, playing The Nameless Mod some more revealed a ton of awesome poo poo once you reach the WorldCorp Labs and the experiments within. On one hand, you have this lovely internet forum fanfiction circlejerk gimmick. On the other, this is as close as you'll ever get to playing some more Deus Ex.

I was impressed by the effort and poo poo (though I think the idea of a forum city could have been implemented in a much more interesting way. Links, alternate accounts, something beyond "killing people deletes their account" in terms of removing people from reality and more complex interactions) but the game design really didn't seem DX-sish to me. There were barely any vents!

(In other news, it still does the "failed to find steam" poo poo, so... I dunno. I'll go do something productive instead, I guess)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 22, 2010

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, my PC isn't even a year old and the load times are just as bad as they were when they played it on the Xbox when it first came out.
It's just a very faithful console port. :pseudo:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Tecman posted:

Oh, it also has a sewer level that rivals VTM: Bloodlines in shittyness. :(
You don't have to enter the sewers, they're an optional side-route to break into certain buildings, and find crap hidden down there. My first playthrough I skipped them entirely. Extreme prejudice against sewer levels.
I don't understand how TNM could be considered fan-fiction, unless you consider it as fanfic for PlanetDeusEx. But that's not the actual focus of the mod. It's just a bunch of self-insertion poo poo because back in THE DAY it was a whole lot easier to get people to go "OK I'll make x for your mod" if you offered to put them in it as a character.

Vox
May 2, 2008
i have a week before i go treeplanting, and i'm spending it playing mothafuckin' DEUS EX!

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

etalian posted:

when in doubt whip GEP Gun out for silent takedown.

GEP with the GEP Gun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fnoigy posted:

Gib with the GEP Gun.
Fixed, I guess. I just think it looks better that way.

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
move on, the third will suck btw

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Phatzilla posted:

move on, the third will suck btw

Probably, but this thread is about the first one. You must have missed that. What a shame.

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the move on bit was in reference to the first one

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Go in and go in and go in and go in--Paul!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Phatzilla posted:

the move on bit was in reference to the first one

Stop having fun :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

etalian posted:

WP Rocket= Greatest

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the best possible weapon to use in the raid on the Lucky Money

Deus Ex is one of the few games where the protagonist can go around committing War Crimes.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Samopsa posted:

Surprise! It also breaks the steam overlay once it shows the desktop. I'm almost done with IW but Steam tells me I've played it for 4 minutes.

In other news I just installed Shifter and I'm making another playthrough of DX. This time I'm being much less stealthy and not caring about lethal kills. This might be the first time I've done this and god is there some great dialog when you start killing a lot of people. I love how people won't shut up about the fact that I murdered the NSF commander in the statue.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Played Invisible War for about an hour.

It's pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I somehow never realized there is a rocket that sets everyone on fire.

My next playthrough is going to be amazing

edit: also seconding the IW thing. Now I know your pain :unsmith: