Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's a certain sense of ownership that GOG gives me that I don't have with Steam, and it goes beyond the little bookshelf they give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm still waiting for PS:Torment to come out on this thing.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
One day, man. I'm waiting for Dungeon Keeper 2, but for both our dreams to be realised they'll need to get EA on board. Le sigh :sigh:

vvv Huh, could've sworn it was. Who is it, then. Interplay? Well why isn't that motherbitch out yet then, I've never played it >:O

edit 2: did my research, it's an AD&D related game which is why it was never released before, Atari own the rights to D&D-based RPGs so maybe it can happen now Atari is on board?

sharts fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 21, 2010

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Zenith Nadir posted:

One day, man. I'm waiting for Dungeon Keeper 2, but for both our dreams to be realised they'll need to get EA on board. Le sigh :sigh:
Just yours, EA has absolutely nothing to do with Torment.

I still think EA would be the biggest possible "get" for GOG though.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
EA are more likely to set up their own service thats ment to be like GoG but instead packs their games full of poo poo drm and never works properly. And the site will be ungodly slow too.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

doctorfrog posted:

There's a certain sense of ownership that GOG gives me that I don't have with Steam, and it goes beyond the little bookshelf they give you.

Never having to even go back to their website or start a separate application to install or run any the games on there once you download them and put them on a storage HD is what makes it so much better than Steam.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

That's probably because you actually own the games you buy on GOG whereas Valve reserve the right to take away any or all of your Steam games at any time for any reason they fancy. :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zenith Nadir posted:

vvv Huh, could've sworn it was. Who is it, then. Interplay? Well why isn't that motherbitch out yet then, I've never played it >:O

edit 2: did my research, it's an AD&D related game which is why it was never released before, Atari own the rights to D&D-based RPGs so maybe it can happen now Atari is on board?

I don't think anyone knows what's going on with D&D game's licensing. TSR owned the rights to D&D which was bought by Wizards of the Coast which was bought by Hasbro. Hasbro Interactive, a Hasbro subsidiary, bought Atari Corp to become Atari Interactive which was subsequently bought by another company and renamed Infogrames before re-renaming itself Atari, Inc.

I think what happened here is that when IESA bought Atari Interactive from Hasbro they lost the rights to the D&D license from every product before they changed their name to Atari, Inc. Neverwinter Nights 2 is the only product I see sold digitally.

Hasbro is also notorious for pushing the poo poo out of D&D 4E and they pretty much want everyone to forget that any version existed before it. They even went so far as to remove reprints of free old school modules from their website and several other pre-4E material.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 22, 2010

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
So, is there any way to mess around with DosBOX to get MOO2 to run a bit faster? Turns are starting to take longer 0.25s which is starting to get annoying

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

al-azad posted:

I don't think anyone knows what's going on with D&D game's licensing. TSR owned the rights to D&D which was bought by Wizards of the Coast which was bought by Hasbro. Hasbro Interactive, a Hasbro subsidiary, bought Atari Corp to become Atari Interactive which was subsequently bought by another company and renamed Infogrames before re-renaming itself Atari, Inc.

I think what happened here is that when IESA bought Atari Interactive from Hasbro they lost the rights to the D&D license from every product before they changed their name to Atari, Inc. Neverwinter Nights 2 is the only product I see sold digitally.

Hasbro is also notorious for pushing the poo poo out of D&D 4E and they pretty much want everyone to forget that any version existed before it. They even went so far as to remove reprints of free old school modules from their website and several other pre-4E material.

I've actually been wondering about D&D video games lately. There used to be so many great ones, but nothing has come out since NWN 2 in 2006. Putting out a good 4E game would probably be great for the book sales. Why hasn't anybody done this yet?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Farquar posted:

I've actually been wondering about D&D video games lately. There used to be so many great ones, but nothing has come out since NWN 2 in 2006. Putting out a good 4E game would probably be great for the book sales. Why hasn't anybody done this yet?

I have no idea and it's retarded because 4E is the closest thing pen and paper can get to a video game. It would be like playing a turn based World of Warcraft or something.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Ansob. posted:

That's probably because you actually own the games you buy on GOG whereas Valve reserve the right to take away any or all of your Steam games at any time for any reason they fancy. :v:

Now wait here just a got-dang minute :argh:

Seriously, I hope GOG is able to put up D&D-licensed games soon.

Also, has there been any news about games in the $15.99 range yet? I remember there was talk of "newer" games coming up at that price point.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Farquar posted:

Probably because Obsidian's the only studio that might do it, and they've been pretty busy lately.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Welp, Blood's out, you guys know what to do.

Also I just tried to use the PCG1 Painkiller promo code in the OP and I don't think it's valid anymore? Poo.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

DoctorTristan posted:

Probably because Obsidian's the only studio that might do it, and they've been pretty busy lately.

It's also possible that studios nowadays prefer to develop their own systems and universes so they don't have to pay for any royalties and are not bound by established canon or obscure rules, not to mention the added bonuses of making their own side products.

A studio like Bioware for example can sell games on its name alone and appeal to a crowd way beyond the D&D fans, which is exactly what they did with Dragon Age. The balance of power has shifted between pen & paper publishers and video game developers. Today Hasbro would probably have to hire a studio and finance a D&D game out of their pocket, a game that would in turn serve to promote the books. Ten years ago when Baldur's Gate came out, it was the other way around with Bioware having to purchase a costly license.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

I have no idea and it's retarded because 4E is the closest thing pen and paper can get to a video game. It would be like playing a turn based World of Warcraft or something.

It has nothing in common with WoW.

Anyway, even though it's a great idea, I think it's because 4E would be so easy to distil in video game form that Hasbro are staying away from licensing it. Even though 3.X was the worst system in the world ever and 4E is actually really good for D&D, some things never change (namely: Hasbro/WotC/TSR trying to sell as many supplements as possible). Since there's no more SRD for 4E and no part whatsoever of the game is "open source" (-ish), anyone who wants to make a game that has 4E anything has to license from Hasbro.

I imagine any fan attempt at making a 4E game would be instantly squished by their legal team, too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CaudaVenenus posted:

A studio like Bioware for example can sell games on its name alone and appeal to a crowd way beyond the D&D fans, which is exactly what they did with Dragon Age. The balance of power has shifted between pen & paper publishers and video game developers. Today Hasbro would probably have to hire a studio and finance a D&D game out of their pocket, a game that would in turn serve to promote the books. Ten years ago when Baldur's Gate came out, it was the other way around with Bioware having to purchase a costly license.
Your argument makes sense, that it's not worth the costs & canon nowadays, but I don't think it ever was.

Developers probably just wanted to make D&D-brand games, or were courted by TSR/Hasbro/whoever right from the start. There have been hundreds of D&D knock-off games since the 70s. There are lots of successful brands too, like Ultima, Might & Magic and Elder Scrolls to name a few. Hell, stuff like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were based on those early western RPGs.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Farquar posted:

The D&D video game license rights are in the middle of two lawsuits involving Atari vs Hasbro and Atari vs Turbine. As part of the suit Hasbro is trying to revoke licensing rights from Atari. We probably won't see any more D&D games until the legal mess is resolved.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Is Blood from GoG just using the latest version of DOSBox with some special tweaks? Someone let me know if it runs smoothly on Vista at 800x600 or if the resolution has to be lowered to make it playable..

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Yes, it's the same DOSBox package as GOG's Redneck Rampage package; the main game and config files come with their own special copies of DOSBox. It runs fine for me at 800x600 with CD music and FMV cutscenes on Windows 7 64-bit. If it runs fine on that it should have no problem with Vista

What I am trying to say is that it is awesome and fully tricked out, you should buy it, don't think, just buy

ps. A heads-up for anyone who has the same problem I had with RR: You may have to hunt around a little for the config file if you want to completely remap the key layout, there's some things that can't be remapped straight through the game's options menu. It'll be under the Start menu's GOG.com folder.

sharts fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 22, 2010

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ansob. posted:

It has nothing in common with WoW.

You think so? It reeked of WoW-mimicry when I played. I'm surprised the game didn't come with an 'action bar' you could fill with your abilities.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Woo! I just found out that Blood came out today! I've been waiting ages for this game to get a re-release! :dance:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Morganus_Starr posted:

Is Blood from GoG just using the latest version of DOSBox with some special tweaks? Someone let me know if it runs smoothly on Vista at 800x600 or if the resolution has to be lowered to make it playable..

I think there's a source port of Blood called Transfusion for Windows and Linux (maybe Mac?) that adds lots of new stuff like eduke32 for Duke Nukem.

Yeah...
http://www.transfusion-game.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
Transfusion isn't a source port, it's a (currently multiplayer-only) remake on a modified Quake engine. The Blood source hasn't been released.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

graventy posted:

You think so? It reeked of WoW-mimicry when I played. I'm surprised the game didn't come with an 'action bar' you could fill with your abilities.

Literally the only thing it has in common with WoW is the idea of levels, classes, dungeons and equipment, something which every other edition of D&D ever has had and which WoW took from D&D (via pretty much every CRPG that came before WoW).

Gridmaps aren't from WoW, ranges in squares aren't from WoW, powers that can be used once per combat (or regenerate whenever you rest) aren't from WoW, toned-down multiclassing isn't from WoW... Basically, absolutely nothing that distinguished 4E from 3.X (or OD&D or AD&D) is from WoW. There's no mana, no loot drop tables (something which was in AD&D, incidentally), no time-based cooldowns, no class-based gear or gear that boosts your stats or skill trees to put talent points in...

The only thing that you might convincingly argue was influenced by WoW in any way whatsoever is the official art, because for some reason GIANT PARUDULON seems to be in. Really, if you absolutely want to compare it to a video game, pick any TRPG - and even then, it'd still be miles away, because there are no TRPGs that use mechanics anything like 4E's AFAIK.

Know what 4E does resemble, though? Tabletop wargames.

Like every edition of D&D before it, but especially OD&D (to which 4E is closer than 3.X ever was).

e; VVV

Farquar posted:

This sounds awesome. I wish Troika was around to give it the Temple of Elemental Evil treatment.

It would probably work even better than ToEE too, except for the fact that 4E has no iconic adventure modules out yet that could be made into a CRPG (though Tomb of Horrors is being ported over and released sometime in the near future and although it was purposefully designed to be horrible it'd work very well with a CRPG because it's the player pitted against the DM/AI). That said, it's not going to happen for reasons mentioned a few posts up. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 22, 2010

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Ansob. posted:

Literally the only thing it has in common with WoW is the idea of levels, classes, dungeons and equipment, something which every other edition of D&D ever has had and which WoW took from D&D (via pretty much every CRPG that came before WoW).

Gridmaps aren't from WoW, ranges in squares aren't from WoW, powers that can be used once per combat (or regenerate whenever you rest) aren't from WoW, toned-down multiclassing isn't from WoW... Basically, absolutely nothing that distinguished 4E from 3.X (or OD&D or AD&D) is from WoW. There's no mana, no loot drop tables (something which was in AD&D, incidentally), no time-based cooldowns, no class-based gear or gear that boosts your stats or skill trees to put talent points in...

The only thing that you might convincingly argue was influenced by WoW in any way whatsoever is the official art, because for some reason GIANT PARUDULON seems to be in. Really, if you absolutely want to compare it to a video game, pick any TRPG - and even then, it'd still be miles away, because there are no TRPGs that use mechanics anything like 4E's that I know of.

Know what 4E does resemble, though? Tabletop wargames.

Like every edition of D&D before it, but especially OD&D (to which 4E is closer than 3.X ever was).

This sounds awesome. I wish Troika was around to give it the Temple of Elemental Evil treatment.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay WoW was a bad analogy but 4E could be adapted into a video game easier than any of the other editions. You have elements that showed up in Neverwinter Nights like resting for 60 seconds to regain your abilities and having spot/listen/search take average rolls unless you were actively looking for something. You don't have to worry about your low level spell casters being loving useless because you blew all your spells 5 minutes ago and you don't have to worry about your high level fighters being loving useless because every monster flies or has ridiculous damage immunity + incapacitating magic. The way rules are structured could make something like editing and balancing a new class a lot easier.

And on topic, Blood is still amazing and everyone should play it. It's pretty much the pinnacle of 2.5D. The closest modern game to it is probably Painkiller which felt more less closer to Blood than Doom.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I have missed Blood so much. It still holds up even though the last time I played it was probably at least 10 years ago. One of my all time most favorite games. Everybody should buy it without hesitation.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It did this to me, what I had to do was go into the game directory, remove quicktime.qts and then copy and paste an updated quicktime.qts in its place, because I think it uses an older version or something.

I just did this and the game actually started. Thanks for the help! :)

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
I played the shareware blood back in the day and man revisiting it has been a kick in the nuts. I don't remember it being so tough, but I was probably all cheat coded up when I played as a kid. It's like playing Doom 2 and every enemy is a chaingunner. :gonk:

Still fun as gently caress though, lighting cultists on fire never gets old.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

electrigger posted:

I played the shareware blood back in the day and man revisiting it has been a kick in the nuts. I don't remember it being so tough, but I was probably all cheat coded up when I played as a kid. It's like playing Doom 2 and every enemy is a chaingunner. :gonk:

Still fun as gently caress though, lighting cultists on fire never gets old.

It is rough, because you have to use medpacks. You have to get hurt, it kind of goes against everything games do these days where you feel invincible all the time. You can't just plod through it hoping you will regen your health. Redneck Rampage seems impossible to me because of this!

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Blood is really loving awesome and brings me back to the late 90s when my dad, for whatever reason, didn't give a poo poo that I was playing ultra violent first person shooters before puberty.

But I got Blood thinking it started in a Japan-like area and you had throwing stars, or is that another Build game I'm thinking of?

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 22, 2010

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Serious Michael posted:

But I got Blood thinking it started in a Japan-like area and you had throwing stars, or is that another Build game I'm thinking of?

That's Shadow Warrior.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Nev posted:

That's Shadow Warrior.

And why is it not available yet?

Also: Is Rise of the Triad any good?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Blood was one of the insta-purchases for me. I've been wanting to replay this for forever. I'm really looking hard at Master of Magic, too. I never played it back in the day.

This is such a good week for GoG.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

It is rough, because you have to use medpacks. You have to get hurt, it kind of goes against everything games do these days where you feel invincible all the time. You can't just plod through it hoping you will regen your health. Redneck Rampage seems impossible to me because of this!

Not only that but compared to other shooters of the time Blood is really stingy with its ammo, the weapons are unconventional, and there's no health pickups or armor shards so you have to rely on the rare doctor's bag or hope the n'teenth monster drops a heart.

I'm also digging the music.

quote:

And why is it not available yet?

It'll probably get put up eventually. Infogrames/Atari owns GT Interactive who developed it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ansob. posted:

no time-based cooldowns

EVERYTHING had a time-based cooldown!

I'll agree with you, though, WoW is a poor comparison. It just felt a ton more videogame-y than 3/3.5 did. We played it for a while, until every boss became an annoying HP sponge, and it became less about having fun and more about using the same two/three abilities over and over until they died. Which I suppose, is a probably GM problem not a system problem.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

al-azad posted:

It'll probably get put up eventually. Infogrames/Atari owns GT Interactive who developed it.
GT published Shadow Warrior, it's a 3D Realms game. It's on their store.

graventy posted:

I'll agree with you, though, WoW is a poor comparison. It just felt a ton more videogame-y than 3/3.5 did. We played it for a while, until every boss became an annoying HP sponge, and it became less about having fun and more about using the same two/three abilities over and over until they died. Which I suppose, is a probably GM problem not a system problem.
I take it you played a caster in 3/3.5, because two/three abilities is a big improvement from "I attack".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Serious Michael posted:

Also: Is Rise of the Triad any good?

It's a long time but I remember not being too impressed with it. Levels were made of blocks like in Wolfenstein 3D but with actual 3D, allowing levels above levels, hoverpacks, jumps etc. There were some interesting features, but it wasn't until Duke Nukem 3D that it all looked and felt good enough to beat Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Threep posted:

GT published Shadow Warrior, it's a 3D Realms game. It's on their store.

I take it you played a caster in 3/3.5, because two/three abilities is a big improvement from "I attack".

I meant published but I didn't know 3D Realms had the rights to sell the game as GT is owned by Atari. Looks like they have their entire catalog on there but there were two add-ons for the game and I wouldn't mind seeing GoG release it together.