Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Cleaned the carbs again, made no difference. Guess I have to re-jet the F2 for my aftermarket pipe and K&N filter. Ordered a Factory Pro Kit, since I heard good stuff about them over Dynojet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Pulled the wheels off (and cursed honda for not putting any goddamn grease on the rear axle :argh: ), got a set of Pilot Powers put on, put the wheels back on, cleaned and lubed the chain.

Then went for a decent ride to see how the tires felt :)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

needknees posted:

Pulled the wheels off (and cursed honda for not putting any goddamn grease on the rear axle :argh: ), got a set of Pilot Powers put on, put the wheels back on, cleaned and lubed the chain.

I was thinking about them for my next tires on my CBR F2. Currently I have Pilot Road tires (put on by the PO) which are more for touring and not very sticky. How do you think the Pilot Powers stack up with other comparable sportbike tires?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I was thinking about them for my next tires on my CBR F2. Currently I have Pilot Road tires (put on by the PO) which are more for touring and not very sticky. How do you think the Pilot Powers stack up with other comparable sportbike tires?

I have pilot powers for my Duc 900 and they are awesome. I only ever lose traction when I lock the rear or really power on first gear while leaned over otherwise super grippy and good feel.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'll have a better idea about how they perform a week from now, since I'll have a couple hundred track miles on them at that point :parrot:

As far as I understand, at this point Pilot Powers are a benchmark tire when it comes to sport tire performance. But, if you're looking for a good all round tire that's going to perform in basically any situation you'd encounter you might look at the new Pilot Road 2's. They're not going to have *quite* the same type of traction as the PP until you're leaned over a bit, but overall life will be greater. I'm likely going to get a set of those before my longer trip this year, and everything I've heard about them is good.

Honestly I was just kinda taking it easy today to get them scuffed in. By the end of the ride they were feeling pretty planted. This is probably more related to me changing the aspect ratio of the rear tire (went from 190/50 stock to 190/55 on the PPs) but the bike felt almost dead on center, then wanted to seriously FALL OVER. It was planted after the bike was settled in the corner, but that transition from upright to leaning was much more abrupt than with the Dunlop Qualifiers I had on there before.

I look forward to putting some more miles on these.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have the Pilot Road 2s, I think i've put about 800 miles or so on them, i'm really liking them a lot compared to the old Metzler Z6s I had before. Great grip with good feel, never had any traction problems. supposedly they're excellent in the rain but I don't think i've taken my F2 in the rain.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

n8r posted:

Riding an old BMW - probably a hipster douchebag.

BMW = old bike, old rider, or old money. Something old is involved. :)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

needknees posted:

If the rear axle is a problem, I'm willing to bet that your swingarm axle is even worse. Remove all axels (including engine mount axles one by one) and re-lube with copper grease while you're at it. You'll thank me the day you need to fix things in a hurry.

Wear old clothes while working with copper grease, because your mother will punch me in the face if you get that poo poo on your prom dress.

Copper grease. Yummie!

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 18, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Crayvex posted:

BMW = old bike, old rider, or old money. Something old is involved. :)

There's nothing wrong with the RS design. Nothing! (gently caress, I guess I'm old)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Took apart the headlight so that I could paint it, and ended up dropping the headlamp assembly and breaking it on the pavement.:smith:

I still painted the bucket, turn signal stems and some other bits and pieces. Looks nice!

The dealership wants 50 bucks for a new one, and the bike junkyard also wants 50 bucks for one. :psyduck:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I installed Kerker slip-ons on my Ninja 500 to change the "buzzy" stock exhaust noise and make it louder. But not obnoxiously loud. So far I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXC630PxaQ

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Got my DRZ running again finally. Fixed up the carb mostly. I really should spend a day and sort out the jetting but I seriously hate carb work and the unruly fueling is part of her personality! Also replaced the broken mirror and clutch lever and fixed the speedo cable. Just gotta replace the broken taillight and slap on some case covers and shes gonna be awesome. Maybe change the fluids at some point.

the walkin dude posted:

I installed Kerker slip-ons on my Ninja 500 to change the "buzzy" stock exhaust noise and make it louder. But not obnoxiously loud. So far I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXC630PxaQ

That does sound a hell of a lot better than the stock exhaust. Will recommend it to a friend of mine whos looking for one.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I rode mine today, despite the 40 degree weather.

But over the past month, I've done a lot to it. It had been sitting in a basement for the past 2 1/2 years, since I had nowhere else to park it. I'd been planning on riding it, but never got around to it, so the gas went bad, battery died, and it was just in an overall sad state.

Some of you might remember it from a long, long ago thread :

So, this month, with the help of SharkyTM, I pulled off the carbs and cleaned them, bought a new battery, and did all the regular maintenance on it. Oil, coolant, brake fluid. After draining the gas tank and removing the carbs, changing the oil felt ridiculously simple.

Today I rode about 40 miles before the cold got the best of me. Turns out I was smart to turn around; it started raining shortly after I got home. I'm taking it easy, since I've been on a two year break from riding, but it felt good to be back on two wheels.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got the Virago running! Thought the rear cylinder wasn't firing, forgot that the "exhaust" for it is actually just for show. Its a 2-1 to the lower pipe.

Having issues with it not wanting to rev up once it starts and idles just fine. I can rev it as much as I want as long as I goose it right as I start it, but once it idles, any throttle input kills it. Also didn't want to idle without choke, even once it warmed up.

Probably won't get to take it around the block until next weekend. :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Blaster of Justice posted:

If the rear axle is a problem, I'm willing to bet that your swingarm axle is even worse. Remove all axels (including engine mount axles one by one) and re-lube with copper grease while you're at it. You'll thank me the day you need to fix things in a hurry.

Wear old clothes while working with copper grease, because your mother will punch me in the face if you get that poo poo on your prom dress.

Copper grease. Yummie!

I don't want to think about the condition of the swingarm :(. I used some white lithium grease, not the copper stuff -- what's the advantage of copper grease?

I ran some boring errands that were made less boring by riding the bike :D. Today I changed the oil, grabbing a sample to send into Blackstone. I also bled the brakes and replaced whatever the stock fluid was with some Motul RBF600. I was quite surprised to see a fair amount of air at the front right caliper, and a small amount at the left front. The rear had a little air too but not a shitload. My brakes are solid as a loving rock now :).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday I went to an SVRider maintenance day on my VFR (one of five non-SVs there, although two were the host's bikes).

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

On the way home, the winds picked up so much that I was the most scared I've been on a bike.

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED
Changed the oil and filter on my beauty, and realized my front forks don't even have 1 PSI in them. Welp.
All that's left now it add air to the forks and swap out the rear tire, (previous owner got drunk and light up a smoke show before he sold it to me). :argh:

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Kinda hungover. Not in good shape to ride even if my buddy had the time to go out, (still class 6less) so I got those ugly stickers off my tank, then gave the bike a good cleaning, shined'er up with some old school Turtle Wax. Looks fantastic. Would post pics, but camera is in the hands of someone else, probably a pawn shop owner by now.

Also, on my Kona (I know) finally got the front brakes bled and back together. Time to relearn clipless riding. I can't wait for the first and inevitable slow fall.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Getting a fat check from state farm from the lady who hit my parked bike at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago. Bike is already a salvage title and I can fix the damage on it myself for not a lot of cash. Looks like I'll be pocketing a couple grand AND keeping my bike. Hooray.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally renewed the plate sticker (expires this Friday, oops!), got it back from the shop, and started taking it apart to clean the carbs. This should be amusing.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Got hit on by an ugly biology research assistant who thinks my bike is "really cool". So close to the goon dream of having an Asian girlfriend, but alas, my wife won't let it happen. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:siren: MY ASIAN YET UGLY BIOLOGY RESEARCH ASSISTANT :siren:

Today I rode like an absolute retard through traffic. Why is it so hard to make sane decisions about passing? This isn't me putting on a tough guy act either, well maybe a bit, but I need to tone down my desire to pass anything and everything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

:siren: MY ASIAN YET UGLY BIOLOGY RESEARCH ASSISTANT :siren:

Today I rode like an absolute retard through traffic. Why is it so hard to make sane decisions about passing? This isn't me putting on a tough guy act either, well maybe a bit, but I need to tone down my desire to pass anything and everything.

It's alright, I'm struggling with my desire to pull wheelies everywhere. It's a good thing my bike can't wheelie at freeway speeds.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

It's alright, I'm struggling with my desire to pull wheelies everywhere. It's a good thing my bike can't wheelie at freeway speeds.

The best thing anyone ever did for me, in my motorcycling career :

I had just bought my 599 and was feeling comfy with it, so I head down to the dealership. I ask one of the guys, who I had developed a little bit of a friendship with, for some cool motorcycling videos or DVDs, they had a whole rack of them. He picked out one, and I went home to watch it.

It was 2 hours of "Stunts Gone Wrong!" Full of people trying wheelies, stoppies, and burnouts, and loving them up horribly. Each stunt ended with the horrible sound of metal and plastic crunching against pavement, someone grunting in agony, and lots of road rash. Several ended with an ambulance. Watching that movie completely cured me of any desire to try stunting. If the urge ever comes over me, I just pop it back in and watch it. Yep, there goes my desire to try it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pagan posted:

The best thing anyone ever did for me, in my motorcycling career :

I had just bought my 599 and was feeling comfy with it, so I head down to the dealership. I ask one of the guys, who I had developed a little bit of a friendship with, for some cool motorcycling videos or DVDs, they had a whole rack of them. He picked out one, and I went home to watch it.

It was 2 hours of "Stunts Gone Wrong!" Full of people trying wheelies, stoppies, and burnouts, and loving them up horribly. Each stunt ended with the horrible sound of metal and plastic crunching against pavement, someone grunting in agony, and lots of road rash. Several ended with an ambulance. Watching that movie completely cured me of any desire to try stunting. If the urge ever comes over me, I just pop it back in and watch it. Yep, there goes my desire to try it.

I've been riding for a little while now (~5 years) and have only recently started to get into wheelies and stoppies (not really stunting, just screwing around). For the first 3 years I felt exactly the way you do about things, until I started to realize that the reason people were crashing was because they were completely loving morons about it. They didn't know what they were doing, they just sort of guessed at it and oftentimes got it totally wrong.

The way I look at it is the same way I look at riding quickly on the street (ie, anything over the recommended speed limit). There are times and places to do it...when you've got good sight lines, if you take it slow and work with in your limits, chances of you wadding your poo poo are pretty low. Just like anything else. It's when you try and push past your limits that you run into problems. For me, wheelies started with little powerwheelies on the track, over the wheelie bumps or crests...I wanted more control with them, so i started practicing little power wheelies, then eventually when I got comfortable with those I started learning to clutch it up, and now I'm working on shifting gears on the rear wheel. It's a fun way to work on throttle control and balance, put a smile on kid's faces/piss off parents, and have a little fun in the straight sections.

I'm also practicing on a bike that's pretty hardy, so any crashes should be relatively cheap to repair, and I'm going pretty slow, so it's not like I'll be sliding for days if I wad it...as always, it's just a matter of taking time and working up to it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dirt bikes are great for learning wheelies in that aspect. I first learned to wheelie on a 125 ktm when I was 16. Tried stoppies too, but never got the balls to bring it up very far.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

If I wanted to try to use Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders of an engine that's been sitting for, oh, lets say 10 years, how long should I let the oil soak in the cylinders before I try to turn the engine by hand?

Edit: It spins! I can turn the engine by hand, so I think that means it isn't complete junk, I hope. That's what I did to my ride today. Now to figure out the next step in making something ride-able that hasn't been registered since 1991

Korwen fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 21, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

The more I tinker with my F2 the more poo poo I discover that the PO hosed up. Properly screwed in the throttle cable to the throttle housing. Fixed the brakelight switch for the front. Fixed the twisted forks. Re-oriented the right clipon so that the kill switch/starter housing was properly placed. Re-aligned the front brake lever so the master cylinder is level. I could go on, but GOD drat. And that's just the controls! Never mind the actual mechanics of the bike, or the electricals...

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The more I tinker with my F2 the more poo poo I discover that the PO hosed up. Properly screwed in the throttle cable to the throttle housing. Fixed the brakelight switch for the front. Fixed the twisted forks. Re-oriented the right clipon so that the kill switch/starter housing was properly placed. Re-aligned the front brake lever so the master cylinder is level. I could go on, but GOD drat. And that's just the controls! Never mind the actual mechanics of the bike, or the electricals...

Haha what are the miles on your F2? I have some interesting quirks with my F2 i've been kinda finding out a little about. The guy or whoever worked on it popped the stator cover off to probably work on something, and didn't put on the old or any gaskte at all back on the cover so it would slowly drip little bits of oil in my garage every week. It's kinda fun fixing little bits of it, like just his last weekend I popped off the instrument cluster to replace one of the bulbs in the tach section, it was surprisingly easy.

Although i've got some weird problem with coolant leaking out of the cap area, I have yet to figure it out, I replaced the cap with a new one, but I still get the same problem, it usually just drips little bits of coolant if i'm sitting at a stoplight and the engine temperature rises, it never overheats or anything, and the fan motor kicks on when it gets to a certain point. Maybe it's my overflow tube? i'm gonna recheck the cap to make sure it's on there tight.

I think i'm going to order a chain riveting/breaking kit, and a chain and sprocket set in another 2000 miles.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I have 11k on my F2 and the motor sounds fantastically smooth, which is the main reason I bought it. I agree that being able to ride the bike and tinker with it when I have the time and/or patience is really the best way to learn motorcycle maintenance - very gratifying to fix small stuff and instantly see the improvement it makes.

Does your throttle cable come close to hitting the temperature gauge when you do full lock left? Mine actually hits it, so I'm looking at different ways to route the cable or a different way to orient the kill switch housing, perhaps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

Haha what are the miles on your F2? I have some interesting quirks with my F2 i've been kinda finding out a little about. The guy or whoever worked on it popped the stator cover off to probably work on something, and didn't put on the old or any gaskte at all back on the cover so it would slowly drip little bits of oil in my garage every week. It's kinda fun fixing little bits of it, like just his last weekend I popped off the instrument cluster to replace one of the bulbs in the tach section, it was surprisingly easy.

Although i've got some weird problem with coolant leaking out of the cap area, I have yet to figure it out, I replaced the cap with a new one, but I still get the same problem, it usually just drips little bits of coolant if i'm sitting at a stoplight and the engine temperature rises, it never overheats or anything, and the fan motor kicks on when it gets to a certain point. Maybe it's my overflow tube? i'm gonna recheck the cap to make sure it's on there tight.

I think i'm going to order a chain riveting/breaking kit, and a chain and sprocket set in another 2000 miles.

The filler neck or cap is probably bent slightly, so it's not sealing. Had the same problem after I wadded my dirt bike, some quality time with a hammer and a punch helped me smooth things out.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Lubed and tightened the chain and ordered a set of Kenda 765 Challengers for Lil' Bit. The tires the PO had on there were pretty dry-rotted.
Replacing the chain and sprockets are next. I'll get the opportunity for a comedy "Do You Guys Think I Should Replace This Chain?" picture of the chain at some point. It's orange with surface rust and goes clack-clack-clack.
Any ideas what 'size' chain an '82 SR250 would take? I'm pretty sure I need an 108 link chain, but the weight?

Doing this stuff to get the bike *truly* rideable is really confidence inspiring.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
520 chain, 102 links.

Once you're on the road, let me know how the Challengers feel. Haven't ordered mine yet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did my valves, 3 were slightly loose but only adjusted one as I couldn't find the tools I had bought specifically for doing it and didn't want to risk doing any damage to the adjuster or locknut. The remaining two are only barely out of spec and on the loose side, so it's fine. Also found a smoking gun for the rattle I've had, a strip of the valve cover was worn just where an electrical connector might get jammed between the valve cover and tank. No rattle afterward and cam chain seemed perfect.

Also did some experiments with on-bike self portrait, courtesy of a RAM mount, Chinese remote timer and $10 Chinese wide angle adapter (comes with a pile of vignetting and all the chromatic aberration you can ask for).

Should have set shutter priority a tad longer, would've gotten less noise and more speed blur. Instead of a proper Olympus wide angle lens (which would be really scary considering how it all was shaking on the RAM mount), I think a cheaper and more practical solution would be the GoPro HD...but that won't have exposure settings.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

I hate to admit it, but I kinda love weaving in and out of traffic on my bike in LA. Between the avg highway speed of 75-80mph and legal lane splitting, that poo poo just makes me smile ear to ear all drat day long.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got the carb boots figured out, slapped it together, took it out for a fill up and Italian tune-up, changed the oil & filter, washed & waxed 'er, and took it down to the LCBO to grab a celebratory beer or two to have while watching the hockey playoffs. I was on some county roads and revving up to 5-6000 before shifting, sounded great!

Still a few things to tinker with later, but as far as I'm concerned, it's ready to roll.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Gave it an Italian Tune-up after letting it sit for almost a month.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 22, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I rode the R6 to work. Holy gently caress 37F feels even colder than I remember. It's funny how I can never tell if my vents are open or not in the heat but in the cold I was acutely aware of every single port on every piece of gear.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I had the same temp while riding to work this morning. It was even snowing densely for 5 minutes or so, puckered me up real good but the road only got wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Bucephalus posted:

520 chain, 102 links.

Once you're on the road, let me know how the Challengers feel. Haven't ordered mine yet.
Too new a rider with a bike that's too new to me, and is so small it feels like a bicycle to me, anyway.

Prediction: They'll feel a lot like tires.