Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Chunderbucket posted:

I somehow never realized there is a rocket that sets everyone on fire.

My next playthrough is going to be amazing

edit: also seconding the IW thing. Now I know your pain :unsmith:

the assault rifle has a 20mm GL which is almost as fun:

Save up all your ammunition for your return to Hell's Kitchen. Play Mortar Command on the roof of the Ton. As you kill them, more spawn! It's fun for everyone except those hapless bastards below you.

Someone here told me about that years and years ago, and it's been fun ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Yeah I got a lot of use out of that, shame there isn't more ammo. I doubt I found more than 25 rounds over the course of the game.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I finally got everything running smooth (for some reason if my external hard drive is plugged in my game speed shits itself) and I started a new game. Liberty island is so much better when you know what to do and you've played the game before. I'm also finding new things constantly.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I had 7 multitools. I used one. I now have 6 multitools. I found a new multitool. Inventory full. What. What are you talking about, Invisible War? My inventory isn't full, I just had 7! I did not meet whatever arbitrary multitool cap that's in this game. Why does this multitool take up an entirely different inventory space? Is it a special multitool? A king among multitools??

I do not like you, Invisible War. And stop changing my resolution settings, I had to go through a lot of trouble to set those at 1680x1050 and you keep changing them back when I'm not looking.

The UI is so bad.

descoteaux
Sep 18, 2003
"DEUS EX MIDWEEK MADNESS"

What the gently caress! I bought this poo poo again three days ago. :ughh:

EDIT: GOON MOLES

EDIT2:

"Get both Deus Ex: Invisible War and Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition for 75% off!
$19.99 $5.00"

gently caress.

OH NO I AM LATE AS gently caress.

descoteaux fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 22, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
This second playthrough has been great fun thus far. I started with maxed vision and power reduction augs, and gave myself maxed cloak next mission and maxed radar the mission after that. By the time I got captured, I was a decent enough threat sans weapons, which was great.

It's very fun walking around certain types of levels with robocop vision and making a play. The railgun is a great add, but it's too bad there arnt more weapons that pierce walls.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

I had 7 multitools. I used one. I now have 6 multitools. I found a new multitool. Inventory full. What. What are you talking about, Invisible War? My inventory isn't full, I just had 7! I did not meet whatever arbitrary multitool cap that's in this game. Why does this multitool take up an entirely different inventory space? Is it a special multitool? A king among multitools??

I do not like you, Invisible War. And stop changing my resolution settings, I had to go through a lot of trouble to set those at 1680x1050 and you keep changing them back when I'm not looking.

The UI is so bad.

invisible war why are you closing and reopening yourself every time I leave an area
Invisible waaar

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Perfect Potato posted:

IIRC the limit for multitools/items in general was either 10 (most likely) or 20 (DX1esque). Far more doors can be blow up by explosives in general in IW than Deus Ex however.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr ShinyDistraction posted:

invisible war why are you closing and reopening yourself every time I leave an area
Invisible waaar

This caused a huge problem in Thief 3 back in the day, the difficulty would reset to normal every time you went through a level transition/loaded a save.

Chunderbucket posted:

Yeah I got a lot of use out of that, shame there isn't more ammo. I doubt I found more than 25 rounds over the course of the game.

There used to be a bug where if you picked up a gun it gave you the ammo you were using in that gun at the time.

This wasn't really that abusable for most things - SABOT and WP fire at similar sort of rates with similar utility to buckshot and rockets - but getting full clips of HEGs was glorious indeed.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Despite having a boxed copy of the original game (which I got for free no less!), £3 is just too cheap considering I still listen to the DX soundtrack. Maybe this time Anna will not spurn my advances and force me to LAM her in the plane :(

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Perfect Potato posted:

There are two kinds of multitools in IW. No, they don't do anything different. They look the same, work the same, everything. But they won't stack together, to matter how hard you try. I'm sure that if there were a decent fan mod out there, that'd be one of the first things changed, but that would require someone to care enough about IW to mod it.

Spacko
Jan 11, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I tried playing this with my sweet-rear end new rig. Not surprised that the outdated UT engine can't cope with todays technology. Yeah, thanks, I love 640x480 letterbox. Sure can't wait to experience this "goon-recommended" piece of "gaming art".

EDIT: LOL even with ini editing it still can't get it right. At least UT let me play with a proper FOV.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Spacko posted:

I tried playing this with my sweet-rear end new rig. Not surprised that the outdated UT engine can't cope with todays technology. Yeah, thanks, I love 640x480 letterbox. Sure can't wait to experience this "goon-recommended" piece of "gaming art".

EDIT: LOL even with ini editing it still can't get it right. At least UT let me play with a proper FOV.

You must be doing something wrong, because Deus Ex has native support for 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 resolutions. Like it says in the OP, use this to fix the FOV.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I'm ashamed to admit I didn't realize the assault gun had a grenade launcher component until my most recent playthrough earlier this month.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Fnoigy posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't realize the assault gun had a grenade launcher component until my most recent playthrough earlier this month.

Really? I've never used that gun in any playthrough- It's so useless!

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The flamethrower is the best. I just wish I had saved every range mod so far just for it to really be able to reach out and touch someone with flame.

I finally got the GEP and am forgoing a sensible loadout for the GEP and flamethrower. No non-lethals or melee weapons whatsoever. yessss.

Also i cannot remember- is there anyway to not be captured by unatco from the subway when herman confronts you? I think I can take these chumps but think you end up in the pokey eventually anyway.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
^^^ Gunther is invincible and will go batshit nutso on you until you die. ^^^

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Really? I've never used that gun in any playthrough- It's so useless!

The assault rifle is absurdly powerful with good skill and a bunch of upgrades. You can pretty easily turn it into a recoilless, rapid-firing sniper rifle by the end of the game. I don't remember if you can silence it as well, but I think you can. With maxed rifles skill and as many mods as you can get your grubby mitts on, the assault rifle and its grenade launcher can carry you through basically any fight in the game.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Angry Diplomat posted:

^^^ Gunther is invincible and will go batshit nutso on you until you die. ^^^

The assault rifle is absurdly powerful with good skill and a bunch of upgrades. You can pretty easily turn it into a recoilless, rapid-firing sniper rifle by the end of the game. I don't remember if you can silence it as well, but I think you can. With maxed rifles skill and as many mods as you can get your grubby mitts on, the assault rifle and its grenade launcher can carry you through basically any fight in the game.

The only guns you ever need to use in this game are either the Sniper Rifle or Assault Rifle. The assault rifle becomes an all out death machine with just a few mods(and yes you can silence it) and the sniper rifle also can become 100% accurate for miles and at master will have enough firepower to destroy cameras and turrets. Any other gun is just the cherry on top.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Spacko posted:

DX should run fine, you just have to work for it. Maybe read this thread and find out about the new DirectX renderers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BlackCircle posted:

The only guns you ever need to use in this game are either the Sniper Rifle or Assault Rifle. The assault rifle becomes an all out death machine with just a few mods(and yes you can silence it) and the sniper rifle also can become 100% accurate for miles and at master will have enough firepower to destroy cameras and turrets. Any other gun is just the cherry on top.
Its important to note that while rifles are perfect for a first play through, don't get stuck in a rut using rifles for every other play through. You need to eventually do a low-tech run and a heavy weapons run to get the most out of the game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Are there enough ammo drops and inventory space to do a GEP gun + Flamethrower runthrough?

Also, is the assault rifle capable of firing in non-burst fire mode? I seem to remember it shooting at minimum like 3-5 round bursts.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Finally beat Deus Ex after 10 years of saying "I will beat Deus Ex some day!".

What a great game. I chose to merge with Helios at the end as I saw it was really the only viable option. My understanding is that JC will become some kind of cybernetic god and rule the world with the help of Helios? That's pretty bad rear end.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cardboard Fox posted:

What a great game. I chose to merge with Helios at the end as I saw it was really the only viable option. My understanding is that JC will become some kind of cybernetic god and rule the world with the help of Helios? That's pretty bad rear end.

More or less.

Honestly, it's more informative to tell us what combat style you used. :)

Stealth, sniper rifle, pistol, nonlethal, blow everything up, melee, etc. So much replayability because of that.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

silvergoose posted:

More or less.

Honestly, it's more informative to tell us what combat style you used. :)

Stealth, sniper rifle, pistol, nonlethal, blow everything up, melee, etc. So much replayability because of that.

Which style is the one where you go around and murder everyone with the Lightsaber + bullet resist aug? I also killed Simmons with the GEP gun, it seemed like the only logical solution at the time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cardboard Fox posted:

Which style is the one where you go around and murder everyone with the Lightsaber + bullet resist aug? I also killed Simmons with the GEP gun, it seemed like the only logical solution at the time.

Melee. :3:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Cardboard Fox posted:

My understanding is that JC will become some kind of cybernetic god and rule the world with the help of Helios? That's pretty bad rear end.

Right. The idea is that he becomes a benevolent tyrant, perfectly logical and unspoiled by petty human ambition, and leads humanity into a carefully planned-out golden age of stability. It's a very cool ending, and was the one I first chose as well.

You can pretty easily get all 3 by using a save right near the end, if you want to see them, but it's certainly worth starting another run-through to play the game a different way.

Cardboard Fox posted:

I also killed Simmons with the GEP gun, it seemed like the only logical solution at the time.

I used a LAW and managed to obliterate my own legs in the process. Jesus those things are powerful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cardboard Fox posted:

All the endings are amazing especially the small quote at the end.

for deus ex noobs who want to see all the possible endings

-Merge with helios to become a omniscient tyrant
-Destroy Area 51 by overloading the anti-matter reactor, a dark age results due to a sudden blackout in global communications
-Let the Illuminati take over Area 51 and continue running a shadow government

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 22, 2010

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you have to take some alternate route to merge with Helios? I went to the place with Bob Page in that forcefield thing, but can't find a way to do it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

etalian posted:

for deus ex noobs who want to see all the possible endings

Number 4: dance ending

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I played this more times than a sane man is supposed to, but the best playthrough was certainly the zero-tolerance ninja hardcore run.

Which means killing everything that can be killed using nothing but low-tech + explosives and only saving at the end of missions. It was the nerdiest thing I ever done, and possibly my finest experience with gaming.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Penguingo posted:

Even better with the fat mode code

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Penguingo posted:

Also best thing about the dance ending is characters don't show up if you decided to kill them.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Melee. :3:

Which is best done with the Speed Aug so you can run blindingly fast, and jump a mile.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

GreatGreen posted:

Are there enough ammo drops and inventory space to do a GEP gun + Flamethrower runthrough?

I did a general heavy weapons run once and had some trouble finding enough ammo for my rotating cast of guns to keep the mayhem going (and I didn't limit myself to just GEP and flamethrower). It's doable but you will have to pick up a more conventional weapon now and then, or else use grenades.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 22, 2010

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rex Deckard posted:

Which is best done with the Speed Aug so you can run blindingly fast, and jump a mile.

Well, obviously. Everything is better with the speed aug.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

silvergoose posted:

Well, obviously. Everything is better with the speed aug.

Speed Aug level 4 and Synthetic Heart is the best combo and everyone should use it always.

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Upgraded to platinum to donate money to Lowtax.
Okay, I went ahead and bought this. If I want to take things that are the weak options for Skills and Augs on purpose to see things I would never normally use, what should I take?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Is the dance ending accessible in game, or just by cheating? Google's making me think it's not.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Just a hypothetical question... would you find the game more enjoyable if instead of having to use Bio-cells, bio energy simply regenerated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm going full insane mode with a copious amount of cheating. For the standoffs in the street near the 'ton, i've been just gep gunning everything. Everyone is pissed at me for the carnage.

opensesame, tantalus, and setjumpz 1000 are my friend.

I really need to figure out how to bind these to keys.