Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Welcome to the coalition PROD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've spent 2 hours combined so far trying to beat Liberty Island on easy. It cannot be done.

This game is even harder than I remember. :cry:

I spent 2 hours and beat it on hard the other night with few reloads...

I had computers, electronics, lockpicking, and heavy weapons to trained.

I pretty much went nonleathal because NSF dudes are good guys. I used a gep on the light bot outside and hacked a bunch of stuff.

One thing that will help you a lot is at the very beginning after you get off the dock, to your left is a few boxes that have a hidden door. Lockpick the door and there are a bunch of medbots hidden inside which you can run to if you're running low on health.

Also, if you don't want to mess with guys, find vents and stuff to travel through. And if you want to nonlethal guys, crouch and sneak behind then while they're walking. Then use a baton or prod and aim for the lower back/buttocks (while crouched) and they'll get knocked out. Hide the body and you're set! Tranquilizers work well if you can get headshots on dudes.

With nonlethal gas weapons like pepper spray and gas, you need to be quick. Pepper spray, you need to run up to someone and gas them in the face until they have their hands on their face. You then need to use a baton on their backside and they'll get KO. Gas grenades are more useful since it makes them immediately cover their faces. I think eventually they passout or you can do what I do which is run into the gas and wack them in the back (you'll take a tiny bit of damage).

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 22, 2010

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've spent 2 hours combined so far trying to beat Liberty Island on easy. It cannot be done.

This game is even harder than I remember. :cry:

Go back to Mass Effect

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I am, and I wasn't trying to troll. I'm one of those guys that likes to play without reading strategy guides, faqs, or anything. I'm trying to do it just based on my own abilities.

Although I'm getting frustrated to the point where I'm going to have to seek out a walkthrough or something. I'm trying to play stealthy but the weapons don't work well. Pepper spray is useless, the charge prod only lasts for about 10 seconds and then the enemies run after me, and the pistol takes too long to kill anyone. Honestly, what are my options?

^^^ Is playing on normal really a better way to go?

:raise:
If you sit still with a gun out, you'll notice your reticule shrinking. This is your aim steadying. Once it gets to the smallest level, aim for their heads and shoot them. Your Q and E buttons are lean, and leaning does not effect your accuracy. You can hide behind things, steady your aim, lean out, and then shoot them in the heads. If enemies you can't take are chasing you run back to the docks you start on and the robot will kill them for you.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
And find the crossbow asap, if you go straight ahead from the docks and take the first left, you come across a corpse with the crossbow. Go on, find the UNATCO dude, and he will sell you a load of tranq darts for 60 credits. Then just use the aiming thing explained above, and hit every enemy with one dart, and run. They collapse after 10 seconds.

Easiest way to clear out single enemies.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I am, and I wasn't trying to troll. I'm one of those guys that likes to play without reading strategy guides, faqs, or anything. I'm trying to do it just based on my own abilities.

Although I'm getting frustrated to the point where I'm going to have to seek out a walkthrough or something. I'm trying to play stealthy but the weapons don't work well. Pepper spray is useless, the charge prod only lasts for about 10 seconds and then the enemies run after me, and the pistol takes too long to kill anyone. Honestly, what are my options?

^^^ Is playing on normal really a better way to go?

:raise:

Definitely play it on normal. If you prod someone who's shaking, it knocks them unconscious. Crouch-walking is silent and faster than the patrol speed of the guards. If you're having trouble with the first floor of the statue, you can skip the entire lobby area by going far enough to the right after leaving the starting dock and climbing up the cargo containers to get to the second level. From there, you can probably just run past everyone to get to the commander at the top. I don't suggest doing that though because there are a number of good weapon mods scattered around the island and other stuff that'll be helpful in the future like lockpicks and medkits.

Oh also, as soon as you leave the starting dock, in the stack of crates on the left, one of them has a funny texture. You can destroy it with a C4 crate to find a medbot inside for unlimited healing.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Gynovore posted:

This is in IW. In the original game, the 'dance level' is an Easter egg that you get to by using a console command to load it (can't remember the filename).

You go back to UNATCO in the second? ffs, I might have to keep playing this poo poo.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

You go back to UNATCO in the second? ffs, I might have to keep playing this poo poo.

For about ten minutes, and there's nobody and nothing much there. You don't have to keep playing this poo poo.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Putting that Liberty Island level in was sort of a ballsy move, or at least one that a developer today wouldn't make. It's pretty difficult until you've gotten used to the rules of the game, because your weapons are very limited and unless you're already pretty good at DX you'd better stick to stealth. Intro levels are usually a lot more hand-holdy, even if it makes sense that a weak novice character would have a pretty hard time fighting a horde of terrorists.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

For about ten minutes, and there's nobody and nothing much there. You don't have to keep playing this poo poo.

My grandchildren will praise your name, Dr Snofeld.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

My grandchildren will praise your name, Dr Snofeld.

Well make sure they spell it right.

I actually completed IW twice, though perhaps because I had nothing better to play at the time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

What a lovely horrible ending level for a really bad game.

Amazing how they went from the complex levels of the first one to simple corridor design the sequel.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Peepers posted:

Oh also, as soon as you leave the starting dock, in the stack of crates on the left, one of them has a funny texture. You can destroy it with a C4 crate to find a medbot inside for unlimited healing.

Been playing through this game for years and I never knew this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

404notfound posted:

Same. Good lord.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

I finished Deus Ex on realistic the first time and have never played on any other difficulty :colbert:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Putting that Liberty Island level in was sort of a ballsy move, or at least one that a developer today wouldn't make. It's pretty difficult until you've gotten used to the rules of the game, because your weapons are very limited and unless you're already pretty good at DX you'd better stick to stealth. Intro levels are usually a lot more hand-holdy, even if it makes sense that a weak novice character would have a pretty hard time fighting a horde of terrorists.

Granted the original game wasn't released THAT long ago, but the idea of easying a new player into a game is recent concept. Most games up until the late 90s early 00s didn't offer a lot in the way of "Intro" levels or in-game tutorials (instead you got a manual with a tutorial instead of a pamphlet). I suppose in one respect you're right, that a developer today wouldn't do it, but it wasn't ballsy or anything special at the time.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

404notfound posted:

There's actually at least two of these in the first level. Keep an eye open for the medical panels, usually in shadow.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

etalian posted:

What a lovely horrible ending level for a really bad game.

Amazing how they went from the complex levels of the first one to simple corridor design the sequel.
Rendering engine, XBox memory space, blah blah blah

Also the vendor in the lobby was terribly out of place given that the ruin was crawling with templars. I can't even remember him selling anything worthwhile.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 22, 2010

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Can enemies discover bodies and set off an alarm? It's been like a year since my last playthrough and I just can't seem to remember.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Chunderbucket posted:

There's actually at least two of these in the first level. Keep an eye open for the medical panels, usually in shadow.
And be careful about blowing them open, since it's very easy to destroy the bot inside as well. You can just lockpick them too, but it's kind of expensive, I think.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since Invisible War comes fully patched I assume that you cannot kill people by throwing dead bodies at them? That was the best part about the original unpatched game.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

And be careful about blowing them open, since it's very easy to destroy the bot inside as well. You can just lockpick them too, but it's kind of expensive, I think.

I always lockpick them because I usually like to be stealthy and it's just a habit of mine since I'm usually overstocked on them later on in the game.

Where is the other hidden medical bot area? Afaik there's only one.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The spy drone changes in Biomod sound awesome. Being able to hide behind some crates and remotely hack a computer would be a very cool ability for a stealth playthrough.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Can enemies discover bodies and set off an alarm? It's been like a year since my last playthrough and I just can't seem to remember.

I know they'll freak out, become alert, and run around pointing their guns everywhere if they see a corpse. I don't know if they'll run off to trip alarm panels, though.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Penguingo posted:

For some reason, if you miss out doing this and then go back later, everyone's dead and floating in the main sewage area. No idea why, though.

If you re-revisit it when meeting Stanton Dowd(?) in the ruins of the Osgoode and Sons building, there's one new MJ12 guard patrolling above the sewage.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Penguingo posted:

For some reason, if you miss out doing this and then go back later, everyone's dead and floating in the main sewage area. No idea why, though.

I think smuggler went in after him.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

I always lockpick them because I usually like to be stealthy and it's just a habit of mine since I'm usually overstocked on them later on in the game.

It's either the pile of crates over to the right when you leave the dock (there's a patrolling guard, some TNT crates etc), or over by the bunker.

edit: Speaking of the NY MJ12 base, one thing that always gets me is how you have to explore some areas several times. As a couple simple examples, the elevator shaft in the 'ton features anything from multitools to a weapon upgrade later on, and new ammunition shows up in the MJ12 base if you return later. Makes me wonder what I haven't found.

Chunderbucket fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 22, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Biomod seems to restrict one hit KOs, Thief-style. The instant knock-out effect of prodding the back of someone's knees only works if they haven't seen you before. If you run up to someone and prod their face, and then swing around them to try to take them out with a second hit, it won't work, they'll need three to go down. Kinda annoying, because now I'm much lower on prod ammo than normal. I need to prod with the prod less I guess.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

GoldenNugget posted:

Aside from the one by the dock at the start, I believe there's one over by the opposite dock / patrolling bot in the shadows there.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Chunderbucket posted:

It's either the pile of crates over to the right when you leave the dock (there's a patrolling guard, some TNT crates etc), or over by the bunker.

The bunker with the short circuiting machinery inside? If so that's a new one for me.

Oh btw, does anyone still remember the passcode for the supply depot behind UNATCO HQ? I'm surprised I still remembered after 6 years 0451 hell yeah.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
The thing is, when you go back later, regardless of whether you saved Ford or not, it's still all blowed up.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Chunderbucket posted:

drat, really? I've played this game so many times and never found anything there. I always checked carefully because of all those suspiciously stacked-up crates. And I'm one of those people who explores every corner of things.

My roommate gets so surprised when I find hidden things in games because he's boring and just plays through games until he beats them, rather than looking for secrets. I think I got halfway through BC2 and found more unlocks/gold crates than he found after beating the game.

GoldenNugget posted:

Oh btw, does anyone still remember the passcode for the supply depot behind UNATCO HQ? I'm surprised I still remembered after 6 years 0451 hell yeah.

Haha, I don't think passwords/information from any game has stuck with me for 10+ years as much as Deus Ex. I think you're safe as long as you haven't memorized ATM account #s. I've always remembered the keycode to Tracer Tong's compound though.

Stump Truck fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 22, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

The bunker with the short circuiting machinery inside? If so that's a new one for me.

I remember this password because it's used in pretty much every game ever made by people from that group Ion Storm Austin came from. It's in both System Shocks off the top of my head, and a bunch of other games, and back in the day it was the code to the front door of the Origin offices.

almostfearless
Aug 1, 2003

Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown

GoldenNugget posted:

This is also the first code you have to enter in System Shock 2 (And maybe that was an homage to the first System Shock? I've only played the second)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mathemagician posted:

The thing is, when you go back later, regardless of whether you saved Ford or not, it's still all blowed up.

I think that's because MJ12 collapses the facility when they're finished contaminating the water with chlorine. Just my guess though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

almostfearless posted:

This is also the first code you have to enter in System Shock 2 (And maybe that was an homage to the first System Shock? I've only played the second)

oh right drat :). I think it may also be in SS1 as someone else said.

Oh fooling with all the "useless" items is pretty fun. I was spraying a fire extinguisher in a NSF guy's face :).

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 22, 2010

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think that's because MJ12 collapses the facility when they're finished contaminating the water with chlorine. Just my guess though.
contaminating the water with chlorine lol

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

contaminating the water with chlorine lol

Have you seen what that poo poo can do to ozone molecules? That's straight-up evil, mayne.

edit: goldennugget it's not inside the bunker, just in that general area.

Chunderbucket fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 22, 2010

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Lordpen posted:

I finished Deus Ex on realistic the first time and have never played on any other difficulty :colbert:

Same here, although thats really not much to brag about. I think Hard is probably more difficult since Realistic actually decreases enemy health.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

Have you seen what that poo poo can do to ozone molecules? That's straight-up evil, mayne.

We must protect the purity of our essence.

God, I love Deus Ex for pulling every conspiracy theory ever and throwing them into one package. Oh, and the game is SCARILY accurate to how events unfolded/are unfolding/conspiracy'd about in the post-9/11 world. Aquinas Protocol - PATRIOT Act, Glenn Beck's FEMA camps, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mathemagician posted:

Welcome to the coalition PROD.

My dad used to say "slaughter, slaughter, slaughter." He's Dead.

I like that.