Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cardboard Box A posted:

Since Invisible War comes fully patched I assume that you cannot kill people by throwing dead bodies at them? That was the best part about the original unpatched game.

You can still kill Billie by pushing her into the bathroom; turn the water on and watch her die, slowly :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

You can still kill Billie by pushing her into the bathroom; turn the water on and watch her die, slowly :chord:

Highest rated comment: What a shame.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Welp, Biomod sounds awesome. Looks like I'll be using it when I play the game tonight.

I'm assuming that because I'm using the Shifter mod in my current playthrough that I should be able to install Biomod and keep right on playing my current game with no compatibility issues, right?

I'd also like to know this, these changes sound amazing, but I'm playing through for the first time (On realistic mode, 10 hours in, in Paris at the moment), if you can't, then it's no big deal; I'll just use biomod in my NEXT playthrough :3:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

uncleKitchener posted:

The game crashes latter, when it can't find her (something both DX games did for some odd reason)

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

GoldenNugget posted:

The bunker with the short circuiting machinery inside? If so that's a new one for me.

Oh btw, does anyone still remember the passcode for the supply depot behind UNATCO HQ? I'm surprised I still remembered after 6 years 0451 hell yeah.

I will remember nsf001/smashthestate and ajacobson/calvo (also 2001, meh) till the day I die. Although to be fair, those are early in the game and easy to remember.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Jetsetlemming posted:

I need to prod with the prod less I guess.

Stick with the prod.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
So I just discovered that there's some crates underneath the dock where you start; hop off into the water and two crates containing a lockpick and a multitool are in a smashed cage attached to the underneath of the wooden planking.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't know those were there. :shobon:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just found a shotgun on Liberty Island which I had literally never once before in a good 10+ playthroughs ever run into. Wow.

almostfearless posted:

This is also the first code you have to enter in System Shock 2 (And maybe that was an homage to the first System Shock? I've only played the second)

0451 is the code to the first keypad in every Looking Glass/Irrational game that has keypads, because it was the keypad to their first office building.

So yeah, pretty sure it's an homage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ansob. posted:

0451 is the code to the first keypad in every Looking Glass/Irrational game that has keypads, because it was the keypad to their first office building.

Yup, it is.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I will remember nsf001/smashthestate and ajacobson/calvo (also 2001, meh) till the day I die. Although to be fair, those are early in the game and easy to remember.
What does calvo stand for, anyway?

AXE COP posted:

So I just discovered that there's some crates underneath the dock where you start; hop off into the water and two crates containing a lockpick and a multitool are in a smashed cage attached to the underneath of the wooden planking.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't know those were there. :shobon:
There are stairs leading into the water RIGHT THERE. How do you not check that out?

Ansob. posted:

http://www.hitselfdestruct.com/2008/07/0451.html

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Dyscrasia posted:

Same here, although thats really not much to brag about. I think Hard is probably more difficult since Realistic actually decreases enemy health.
All the difficulty levels do in vanilla Deus Ex is apply a multiplier to the damage you take. The game has the capacity to change enemy health and likelihood to spawn by difficulty, but Deus Ex doesn't use any of that. Deus Ex also tracks health for every body part of NPCs just like it does for the player, however you'll almost never see an effect because they also have an overall health that drains with any damage, so by the time they've lost a limb they're dead in general. This can be used, however, to disarm invincible NPCs.
These extra settings are only used that I can recall by TNM and Hotel Carone. Carone uses it to change AI alertness, what they respond to, and how many security cameras there are, and TNM has a bunch of different difficulty knobs you can alter individually.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Origin used the code in Crusader: No Remorse, as well.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Mr. Peepers posted:

0451 = van/shed thing
666 = Castle Clinton entrance to NSF base
55655 = Versalife tunnel code
4321 = Paul's closet
432 = Smuggler's mirror code (don't even remember how you're supposed to find this)
911 = Chinese police department
1997 = Luminous Path gate

I used to know the code to access the 747 hangar and the code to get to the subway at the Hell's Kitchen lockdown but I can't recall them right now.

I play this game too much

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 22, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'd like to point out that MilkyTracker can read the UMX files used by Unreal Engine games. Even if you don't know anything about trackers, it can be an interesting new way to listen to Deus Ex's soundtrack.

Click here for the full 1516x1038 image.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Carbohydrates posted:

432 = Smuggler's mirror code (don't even remember how you're supposed to find this)

I don't think you can, it's just a shorter variation on Paul's code.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Chunderbucket posted:

I don't think you can, it's just a shorter variation on Paul's code.

Last time I played through Smuggler's apartment, I was positive there was a data cube in the rafters over his room that had the code to his mirror. When I climbed up there to check it out, I was terribly confused when I didn't find anything, and now I'm confused how I got that impression in the first place.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Mr. Peepers posted:

Last time I played through Smuggler's apartment, I was positive there was a data cube in the rafters over his room that had the code to his mirror. When I climbed up there to check it out, I was terribly confused when I didn't find anything, and now I'm confused how I got that impression in the first place.

Until someone posts where Smuggler's code comes from, I'll be unable to focus on anything else, which is just crazy 'cause my vision is augmented.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Xander77 posted:

The game crashes latter, when it can't find her (something both DX games did for some odd reason)

It kinda makes sense, actually.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Anyone know if the 007 code is revealed anywhere within the game? Beyond the fact that the level layout resembles a level found in Goldeneye?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I spent a good 30 minutes trying to get up there as SOMETHING must be on the roof by his bed, until I fell down and looked up, noticing... there was no ceiling. Gah.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I've got a quest (IW spoiler): Kill JC Denton. No, I mean before you're supposed to. In the sanctuary, it appears that the radius of grenades goes inside his little chamber. Also, if you contact det spider grenades they'll spawn inside. Since they follow you, they'll push him around, but he'll stay inside the chamber. I don't have any explosive grenades, but I know the radius of smokes, flashbangs and EMPs affects whatevers inside...

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
What are you trying to say here? Were you actually able to kill him?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

It kinda makes sense, actually.
It makes sense to track the status of those NPCs you have plans for - that is, "if status=dead, then=do something". If you have no such plans and "if dead, then=crash" you're probably doing it wrong.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It turns out the "act like they're unconscious" thing means if you knock them out, then shoot them, they still die. Apparently in vanilla DX you could attack an unconscious body all you like and they'd not die.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I actually noticed that for the first time last night. I could have sworn you could kill unconscious people. What the gently caress Deus Ex? Killing kids is fine but comatose people are off limits?

Now I need to go figure out if killing unconscious kids is possible.

When I played the demo for the first time way back when I figured out that bodies behaved like crates, where the more you damaged them the darker they got. I ran around exploding people into chunks with the crowbar for a long time.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Mr_Person posted:

I'd like to point out that MilkyTracker can read the UMX files used by Unreal Engine games. Even if you don't know anything about trackers, it can be an interesting new way to listen to Deus Ex's soundtrack.

Click here for the full 1516x1038 image.

I suspect that schism tracker is closer to the original environment of the tracker used to create the music (Impulse Tracker).

Also, Alexander Brandon made a remix over at ocremix.

BernieLomax fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 23, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Snofeld posted:

It turns out the "act like they're unconscious" thing means if you knock them out, then shoot them, they still die. Apparently in vanilla DX you could attack an unconscious body all you like and they'd not die.

That's one thing I love about the BioMod: If you attack an unconscious body it lets out the "YEEARGH!" noise and turns into a corpse.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
I just bought the original Deus Ex and the sequeal off of Steam due to the mid-week deal but I can't get it to run. Out of safemode it runs like it's skipping a bunch a frames and is real jittery and jumps forward if I move at all. When I run it it safe mode it goes really slow and most of the audio cuts out. When I try to set the affinity to just 1 processor through ctrl + alt + delete it just crashes the game.

Anyone have any idea how I can get the game to run, or else I just wasted 5 bucks?

I have an Athlon 64 X2 running Windows Vista with a Geforce 8600 GT.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BernieLomax posted:

I suspect that schism tracker is closer to the original environment of the tracker used to create the music (Impulse Tracker).

Also, Alexander Brandon made a remix over at ocremix.

Holy poo poo, that is awesome.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

Shumagorath posted:

It's Ford Schick and you are terribly dull.

You are right. I knew the name gerald ford didn't sound right, but I had it in my mind for some reason.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

nessin posted:

Granted the original game wasn't released THAT long ago, but the idea of easying a new player into a game is recent concept. Most games up until the late 90s early 00s didn't offer a lot in the way of "Intro" levels or in-game tutorials (instead you got a manual with a tutorial instead of a pamphlet). I suppose in one respect you're right, that a developer today wouldn't do it, but it wasn't ballsy or anything special at the time.

Don't forget, Deus Ex had a tutorial level in addition to Liberty Island.

Personally, I thought Liberty Island was awesome, provided you were able to think flexibly. Charge in with guns blazing, you die. Stick to the shadows and assess the situation, and you'll find you have a shitload of options.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Narxysus posted:

You are right. I knew the name gerald ford didn't sound right, but I had it in my mind for some reason.

J.C. Denton, are you a bad enough dude to rescue the 38th president?

Like many other goons, I bought this game a couple weeks ago for $10. But I don't regret it... I still have my boxed CD copy (infact, it's installed on the same PC) but I get some weird memory error when transitioning between levels that causes a CTD.

IW still isn't worth the $2.50, however.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Stump Truck posted:

I actually noticed that for the first time last night. I could have sworn you could kill unconscious people. What the gently caress Deus Ex? Killing kids is fine but comatose people are off limits?
If it bothers you that much, you can always gib 'em with a GEP

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

tokyosexwale posted:

I just bought the original Deus Ex and the sequeal off of Steam due to the mid-week deal but I can't get it to run. Out of safemode it runs like it's skipping a bunch a frames and is real jittery and jumps forward if I move at all. When I run it it safe mode it goes really slow and most of the audio cuts out. When I try to set the affinity to just 1 processor through ctrl + alt + delete it just crashes the game.

Anyone have any idea how I can get the game to run, or else I just wasted 5 bucks?

I have an Athlon 64 X2 running Windows Vista with a Geforce 8600 GT.

Try the D3D10 renderer in the OP. It has a couple options in it to fix up the speed issues, as well as beefing up the graphical quality.

edit: Try alt-tabbing before you open the Task Manager. It might help.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 23, 2010

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

0451 = van/shed thing
666 = Castle Clinton entrance to NSF base
55655 = Versalife tunnel code
4321 = Paul's closet
911 = Chinese police department
1997 = Luminous Path gate
LAM/Dragons Tooth/LAW = All breakable doors

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's one thing I love about the BioMod: If you attack an unconscious body it lets out the "YEEARGH!" noise and turns into a corpse.

This could be bad though. If, say, you pop them in the head with a bullet from the stealth pistol, do they let out a 3-second long "yyeerraughughuhguhg"? Or is it a quick and half muted "hngg"?

Because I've played a lot of games where even after the body has long since been gibbed and vaporized, there will still be a goofy sounding wilhelm type scream playing where their body used to be and it kind of takes you out of it for a moment.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Xander77 posted:

What does calvo stand for, anyway?
Calvo is the guest speaker at the Speculative Fiction Expo. It says so on the poster in Alex's office by the computer. I'm still wondering what Anna's password is supposed to be, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

Edit - I have great reading comprehension skills. Shut up, my highschool grades prove it!

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 23, 2010

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

scryspc

Yeah, I've never gotten that one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr. Peepers posted:

scryspc

Yeah, I've never gotten that one either.

maybe anna is the only person in UNATCO HQ with even marginally good password selection skills