Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Whoo wee whoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm having a real hard time taming the cables. Every time I connect something else, the cable is literally in the most inconvenient place it could be. Guess it's time to man up and straighten everything out again :mad:

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .
Can any fellow UK'ers recommend a place to find L shaped glass desks (or even just decent desks in general)? There doesn't seem to be much selection at IKEA, Staples, Argos, etc. Granted I am only looking online at the moment so it's possible there's a wider selection in store...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gotta get my dad to pick me up some cable management stuff at some point this week (he's a pretty big wheel down at IKEA). I also need to get new flowers.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm in the process of changing my setup because I just built a new gaming PC:

Things to fix:

Lighting
Cable management

I also hate the colour of my desk.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
What case is that? i remember seeing it in all-white a while back and thinking if they had a silver/gray version, I'd love it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Cheezymadman posted:

What case is that? i remember seeing it in all-white a while back and thinking if they had a silver/gray version, I'd love it.

http://www.gmc.co.kr/language/english/products/r2.html

It's awesome - I'm going to buy a few more of them just in case they take it off the market.

No one has yet to ask, but it's a 24" iMac and 26" LG HDTV (full HD 1920x1080 which LG have confirmed uses an IPS panel).

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2010

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Oh man, that vertical optical drive is sexy. Gonna build my next machine into the light blue one for sure.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
That is a seriously awesome case; I see the G-2's are $45 and out of stock on newegg. That's definitely going on my wishlist for my next build.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I like that case as well, but it looks pretty shallow. Will one of the latest graphics card fit in there, seeing as they're so long?

(Edit: Just saw that you've got a pretty long looking graphics card in there now, so that might answer my question.)

Also, that seems to be one of the only good looking cases the company makes.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Centipeed posted:

I like that case as well, but it looks pretty shallow. Will one of the latest graphics card fit in there, seeing as they're so long?

(Edit: Just saw that you've got a pretty long looking graphics card in there now, so that might answer my question.)

It's a Radeon 5850. Kind of makes my CPU look wimpy I thought. Going to buff it up when the 6 core AMD chips arrive and get a heatsink the size of a football.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 14, 2010

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Crappy apartment supplied desk since my jerker and this one wouldn't fit, but the jerker is going up over the summer.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

If anyone knows of a method to switch between computers and still use the same keyboard and mouse (maybe wireless?), I'd love to know. I've tried Synergy+ and couldn't get it to work.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 16, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

strayan posted:

If anyone knows of a method to switch between computers and still use the same keyboard and mouse (maybe wireless?), I'd love to know. I've tried Synergy+ and couldn't get it to work.

Try harder with Synergy?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

strayan posted:

QSynergy was just released, which I haven't tried, but apparently it gives you a better/easier GUI to work with:

http://lifehacker.com/5515093/qsynergy-makes-multi+system-control-easier-and-prettier

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Get a KVM.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Crappy old desk and all, but my current setup until I get something to replace this POS.

Click here for the full 1080x972 image.

Dradien fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 16, 2010

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Centipeed posted:

QSynergy was just released, which I haven't tried, but apparently it gives you a better/easier GUI to work with:

http://lifehacker.com/5515093/qsynergy-makes-multi+system-control-easier-and-prettier

There's also InputDirector which I found earlier in the thread, works for me where synergy didn't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Do you have Snow Leopard installed? I'm pretty sure it breaks synergy. Did for me, anyway.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

mediaphage posted:

Do you have Snow Leopard installed? I'm pretty sure it breaks synergy. Did for me, anyway.

I use this on my Mac
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22270/synergykm

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
22" LCD Monitor, Large tower, creative speakers, keyboard, mice, Games on the shelves, music CDs on the right side of the desk in the shade and some really old manuals and such on the right shelf. Router and my Iphone case and other stuff on the top of my desk.

On the messy Armour I have my old router which I have no idea what to do with it, a mice I found, tape, pencils, pens, scisors, other stuff.

On the right side of the room I have a new tower laying horizontally on a wooden stool that I need RAM for before I can use, a old Dell that I can't for the life of me get a claim on in the bottom left. Wireless adapter because the only Cat5e cables I have that are long enough don't work for some reason, and a ancient speaker / CRT Monitor setup, with a printer in the far right corner to top it off.

Pictures:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

And this last picture is where all the spare PC parts I ain't currently juggling between computers that need them are in that box, along with two empty or semi-empty cases and a new monitor I'm going to use for a case I got up and working with Ubuntu.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Click here for the full 1434x1036 image.

Sorry about the cellphone picture, but I'm currently in the market for a new digital camera.

Also, in my opinion, doors and file cabinets make the perfect desk. Huge, yet easy to take apart and move.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 18, 2010

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I use this on my Mac
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22270/synergykm

Me too, but I see it finally says snow leopard and 64-bit support...maybe I'll try it again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cheezymadman posted:

Get a KVM.

I don't think there's such a thing as a DVI+USB2 KVM that isn't a huge piece of poo poo (Belkin Flip) or stupidly expensive ($300 ATEN KVMs.)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

mediaphage posted:

Me too, but I see it finally says snow leopard and 64-bit support...maybe I'll try it again.

I've been using it with Snow Leopard since the OS came out, not sure what happened with yours.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I dunno, but I know I'm not the only one whose had reallly frustrating issues. Do you use a mixed PC/Mac network?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

These solutions are all very well and good, but don't I have to have both computers on for it to work?

That is why I'm leaning in the direction of a bluetooth keyboard.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Again, get a KVM.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Does InputDirector perform better than Synergy+? I only run Windows, and Synergy+ kind of lags out on me on occasion.

strayan posted:

These solutions are all very well and good, but don't I have to have both computers on for it to work?

Yes. On and logged in. You'll also probably want to run the client with administrator privileges so you don't get stuck on UAC popups.

Cheezymadman posted:

Again, get a KVM.

Excellent contribution! You'll go far on these forums! Go hog wild!

glompix fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 19, 2010

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

~Coxy posted:

I don't think there's such a thing as a DVI+USB2 KVM that isn't a huge piece of poo poo (Belkin Flip) or stupidly expensive ($300 ATEN KVMs.)

Yeah this does make things really hard. VGA+PS/2 KVMs are a dime a dozen, but if USB or DVI is involved the price goes through the roof for some reason. Doubly so if we're talking dual-link DVI.

e: Does Synergy get along with Windows 7 yet? I tried it on my media center a few months back using the latest version of Synergy+ on Windows and SynergyKM on Mac, but as soon as the Windows box popped a UAC window I lost it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2010

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
oh, i actually didn't see that post by coxy. sorry.

widerruflich
May 6, 2007
...we accept the inevitable
This is the view from my bed:

There's a fagbook pro 13", some Roland RH-50 Headphones, 2 Dell ST2210 Monitors, a 500GB Seagate HDD lying on it's side, a wireless Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse, and a bluetooth Mouse.

Also, the printer has run out of ink, but I use it as a side table for the lamp.

LOL, just noticed the fax machine under the table.

Yeah I'm really messy, which I've always been. But there is method in the madness, and it doesn't really bother me. Cables are disgusting though.

Looking down:

Looking up is a Rasturbated wallpaper, and a cork notice board collated with a bunch of novel poo poo from my travels.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bertbh
Jun 9, 2009
My desk (with permanent 'adaptation', mainly for the keyboard, I got sick of the height never being quite right):

Click here for the full 1600x1227 image.

Server on the left, ghetto gaming/audio PC on the right. Headphones, mixer and radio strewn around the keyboard. Far left: the world's cheapest and least comfortable office chair. Off camera to the right: toolbox that always ends up doing service as a chair instead.

Moon bluray on the desk too, I just noticed. I love that film.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

bertbh posted:

My desk (with permanent 'adaptation', mainly for the keyboard, I got sick of the height never being quite right):

This is such an awesome setup: not to squeaky clean, but not totally living in poo poo. Nice "adaptation," but you're drat right, that PC on the right looks pretty ghetto.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
I think I had that case back in the 90s, sheesh

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

That case is the one I used to build my very first PC. What a piece of poo poo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

diospadre posted:

That case is the one I used to build my very first PC. What a piece of poo poo.

Nice front panel usb, audio and esata ports, NOT.

Really though, that's old-school. I was looking for the turbo button :gonk:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

bertbh posted:

Moon bluray on the desk too, I just noticed. I love that film.

It is a great movie.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries
Cleaned up a little bit.

I will be doing a his/her office soon with some Galant's from IKEA wrapped around my office walls. This is doing pretty well for now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Do you do any gaming with that MX 5500 keyboard? How is it?