Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Wampa Stompa posted:

Since you've all been so helpful so far, here are three more bands I really need to get into, all kind of in the same vein. Each has a pretty massive discography. Where should I begin?

Boris
The Melvins
Sunn O)))

Never really listened to Sunn, but for Boris start with 'Smile' and 'Pink' which are probably their two most accessible albums, and then move on accordingly depending on whether you like their heavy or droney stuff. For The Melvins, start with Houdini and then go wherever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Pole of Mars posted:

Where should I start with Erykah Badu? I've only listened to some of New Amerikah.

Baduizm was her first album and generally accepted as her best but i think New Amerykah is almost as good.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

SMP posted:

What albums from The Kinks are worth listening to?

Besides the Village Green Preservation Society I would get a greatest hits compilation covering their 60s singles (there's plenty to choose from). Combined with Village Green it should give you a pretty good idea of their range. To amend what TheNintenGenius said, anything from Face to Face to Muswell Hillbillies is good, Lola vs. Powerman is my favorite.

Wampa Stompa posted:

Boris
The Melvins

In addition to the other Boris albums mentioned, Heavy Rocks is one of their more accessible albums and has less drone and more straight up rock.

Houdini is the best place to start with the Melvins.

By the way, Earth is often mentioned alongside the bands you mentioned, so you may be interested in them (well mostly Dylan Carlson) too.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Way Past Cool! posted:

Besides the Village Green Preservation Society I would get a greatest hits compilation covering their 60s singles (there's plenty to choose from). Combined with Village Green it should give you a pretty good idea of their range. To amend what TheNintenGenius said, anything from Face to Face to Muswell Hillbillies is good, Lola vs. Powerman is my favorite.

Yeah I've heard that Face to Face is good but I haven't given it a listen myself, and I didn't really want to recommend something I hadn't actually heard yet.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fuklaw posted:

Where do I start with Death in June?

The Guilty Have No Past and Nada! are some of their best and most accessible albums.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TheNintenGenius posted:

Yeah I've heard that Face to Face is good but I haven't given it a listen myself, and I didn't really want to recommend something I hadn't actually heard yet.

The first couple of Face to Face albums are pretty ok if you want that so-cal punk vibe very much along the lines of NOFX or Bad Religion (but without the humor of the former or the Chomsky-lite of the latter). Check out Big Choice for their big major label (Victory) release, and Don't Turn Away for the original raw fan favorite. Big Choice sounds more polished and includes their minor hit "Disconnected" and a cover of "Bikeage." Don't Turn Away in my opinion, has better songs and the original version of "Disconnected."

After that your mileage may vary, but I was sort of done with them after Big Choice.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Wampa Stompa posted:

The Melvins

I agree with the whole "start with Houdini and go wherever thing," but there are a few albums NOT to go to right after this, two of which would be Prick and Honky. Prick is basically a joke album recorded to get some recording money, and Honky is mostly an ambient/experimental album, which actually RULES but sounds like the weirder tracks scattered throughout other albums. The Bootlicker is actually one of my favorites by them and it's also somewhat of an anomaly- no distortion or "rockin" at all. Kinda sounds like weird jazz/lounge influenced stuff. I'm a big fan of both of the latter albums I just mentioned, they just aren't necessarily ones I'd pick as a starting point.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TheNintenGenius posted:

First, I've been meaning to ask for quite a while, but where do I go with Kate Bush? I have Hounds of Love and absolutely love that album to death, but I have no idea where to go from there.

The Dreaming

TheNintenGenius posted:

Second, since I've listened to almost every Elvis Costello album up to Blood and Chocolate (the exceptions being Almost Blue, Punch the Clock, and Goodbye Cruel World), I wanted to know which Costello albums (if any) are worthwhile starting with Spike onward. Anything interesting to say about the Costello albums I skipped would be interesting to read as well.

Punch the Clock is really, really good IMO. I like every song on there. Goodbye Cruel World is as bad as its reputation suggests. Never listened to Almost Blue.

Spike is kind of meh... the first 5 songs are all good but the rest are pretty forgettable.

Mighty Like a Rose is solid, not exceptional but generally good. "Hurry Down Doomsday" is one of my least favorite EC songs, though.

I listened to Juliet Letters once or twice when it came out and have since forgotten everything about it.

Brutal Youth is terrific. Maybe not the OMG AMAZING COMEBACK it's often hailed as, but not much to complain about.

I can't remember anything at all about All This Useless Beauty. It might have been good, but for whatever reason I don't have it anymore.

Painted From Memory is a beautiful collaboration with Burt Bacharach. I love it. In fact I'm going to listen to it right now.

That's pretty much where I checked out with Costello. I should probably catch up with his newer albums.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

I'm trying to expand my horizons in metal, I have a few bands that I love and listen to all the time but need to continue to find new stuff.

Where can I get started with Enslaved? Between the Buried and Me? In Flames? Any other similar bands?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Rogue posted:

I'm trying to expand my horizons in metal, I have a few bands that I love and listen to all the time but need to continue to find new stuff.

Where can I get started with Enslaved? Between the Buried and Me? In Flames? Any other similar bands?

Every Between the Buried and Me sounds different, but they can be reasonably segmented into "Metalcore BTBAM" and "Prog Metal BTBAM". Colors and The Great Misdirect both fall into the latter category. Far and away, Colors is the most accessible, varied, technical and it's simply the best thing they've ever done.

If you are more about less prog-metal, songs that are under 10 minutes, full-on heaviness and more plain metalcore, go with their self titled or The Silent Circus.

Alaska is like the bridge between the two types of BTBAM.

Honestly, though, aside from Colors, I can't recommend a single album of theirs. They're all too different, and all of them are top notch.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

hatelull posted:

The first couple of Face to Face albums are pretty ok if you want that so-cal punk vibe very much along the lines of NOFX or Bad Religion (but without the humor of the former or the Chomsky-lite of the latter). Check out Big Choice for their big major label (Victory) release, and Don't Turn Away for the original raw fan favorite. Big Choice sounds more polished and includes their minor hit "Disconnected" and a cover of "Bikeage." Don't Turn Away in my opinion, has better songs and the original version of "Disconnected."

After that your mileage may vary, but I was sort of done with them after Big Choice.

What the hell are you going on about?

Also, thanks for the advice FitFortDanga. I think I might still end up getting Spike anyway if only because I like the song "Veronica" just that much, but at least I know what else might be worth it (and not).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Eeep, color me medicated with shades of comprehension failure.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Wampa Stompa posted:

Sunn O)))

I'd recommend White2, it's something of a turning point as that's when they started adding some new elements into their sound. Black One is probably their most accessible album after the newest one so those two too.

You should also check out KTL out if you haven't. It has O'Malley from Sunn and Peter Rehberg aka. Pita. If the more athmospheric side of Sunn O))) tickles your fancy then you'll be all over it.

But yeah check out Earth too, everything from their recent cowboy gospel to their older drone ampfuckery is brilliant.

Reichstag posted:

The Guilty Have No Past and Nada! are some of their best and most accessible albums.

Rose Clouds of Holocaust and the Rule of Thirds are good ones too.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Thanks for the Death in June recommendations, guys.

m0therfux0r posted:

I agree with the whole "start with Houdini and go wherever thing," but there are a few albums NOT to go to right after this, two of which would be Prick and Honky. Prick is basically a joke album recorded to get some recording money, and Honky is mostly an ambient/experimental album, which actually RULES but sounds like the weirder tracks scattered throughout other albums. The Bootlicker is actually one of my favorites by them and it's also somewhat of an anomaly- no distortion or "rockin" at all. Kinda sounds like weird jazz/lounge influenced stuff. I'm a big fan of both of the latter albums I just mentioned, they just aren't necessarily ones I'd pick as a starting point.

Oh god yes, I accidentally started with Honky and it pretty much turned me off the Melvins, I had no idea what everyone was on about. Then I got (a) Senile Animal and worked my way backward from there and everything was awesome.

Rogue posted:

Between the Buried and Me: Colors is utterly fantastic, one of my favourite metal albums of the last decade. After that, The Great Misdirect is similar but a bit more melodic, and Alaska is a bit more straightforward.

Enslaved: Any of their last three albums (Isa, Ruun and Vertebrae), what's been dubbed "Pink Floyd Black Metal", are great. If you want a more traditional but still progressive and awesome sound go for Eld. Similar bands - try the last couple of Nachtmystium albums for a similarly Pink Floydian take on black metal.

In Flames: Their late 90s work, after they learned to write memorable songs but before they went to poppy poo poo, are generally considered their best. Try Whoracle for starters. Similar bands - At The Gates and Dark Tranquility came from the same musical scene - Gothenburg Death Metal - and play a vaguely similar style. Get Slaughter of the Soul by the former - an undisputed classic among any genre of metal - and The Gallery by the latter.

Divorced And Curious fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 13, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Fuklaw posted:

Thanks for the Death in June recommendations, guys.

Oh god yes, I accidentally started with Honky and it pretty much turned me off the Melvins, I had no idea what everyone was on about. Then I got (a) Senile Animal and worked my way backward from there and everything was awesome.

Between the Buried and Me: Colors is utterly fantastic, one of my favourite metal albums of the last decade. After that, The Great Misdirect is similar but a bit more melodic, and Alaska is a bit more straightforward.

Huh? How is The Great Misdirect more melodic than Colors? It's the opposite as far as I'm concerned.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

the Bunt posted:

Huh? How is The Great Misdirect more melodic than Colors? It's the opposite as far as I'm concerned.
I don't really know how to justify a statement like this (particularly given the diversity in just five minutes of a BTBAM song)? I listened to both albums and Misdirect came across as a bit more melodic? I'm not saying they suddenly turned into Dream Theater or anything, just that it was a slightly different record in that regard.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
In light of the planned reunion, where do I go with Swans? I've got Soundtracks For The Blind, and I have to say that the side of them that interests me the most is the more dreamlike, ambient side, like Red Velvet Corridor and I Was A Prisoner In Your Skull. I've heard that their earlier stuff is a lot more abrasive, which i've got no problems with.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rubber Biscuit posted:

In light of the planned reunion, where do I go with Swans? I've got Soundtracks For The Blind, and I have to say that the side of them that interests me the most is the more dreamlike, ambient side, like Red Velvet Corridor and I Was A Prisoner In Your Skull. I've heard that their earlier stuff is a lot more abrasive, which i've got no problems with.

You might like The Great Annihilator.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

FitFortDanga posted:

You might like The Great Annihilator.

I'll check it out, thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Captain Charisma posted:

I've been meaning to get into Sleater-Kinney for about 5 years now but never remember. Tell me where to start.

Been answered, but I have to put my own thoughts in as well because they're my favorite band of the last 3 decades.

In my opinion, The Woods - their last album - is their best, but is not where I would start. They've really grown as a band throughout their existence and watching that evolution is pretty amazing. I'd probably recommend Call the Doctor, great punk album, and then Dig Me Out -- another straightforward punk album, but this is where they really started to grow musically with the addition of drummer extraordinaire Janet Weiss. The Hot Rock has a much more somber tone and is a great change of pace. And then The Woods, which is my album of the decade for the 00s.

I'd stay away from their self-titled debut and All Hands on the Bad One, which sounds like they made a conscious effort to make their sound more radio friendly and less authentic.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 14, 2010

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Where should I start with the black metal bands Countess and Wolves in the Throne Room.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with The Brian Jonestown Massacre?

Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is generally considered their best album, but you can't go wrong with Thank God For Mental Illness or Take It From the Man!

They also have a greatest hits album called Tepid Peppermint Wonderland.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Where do I start with Celtic Frost and/or Rammstein?

Or are neither really worth getting into at all? I like "Amerika" and "Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh", but I'm not sure if either are indicative of their music as a whole. Probably not.

Also, I tend to like Nine Inch Nails, but I'm not really into the "scene" or "genre" as a whole, not really a typical NIN fan, I was wondering if I like that sort of music, especially Reznor's music lately, what else might I like?

I've already gotten into Saul Williams, just FYI.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Where do I start with Celtic Frost

If you've heard "Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh", certainly get the Monotheist album and Tryptikon's debut (same guitarist/vocalist/songwriter, same sort of music but better). Early Celtic frost is quite different, but still good (well some of it), Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion are raw, heavy thrash which had a lot of influence on both death and black metal, while Into The Pandemonium is experimental avant-garde metal with less thrash roots, and Cold Lake is absolutely terrible glam rock don't go anywhere near it oh god no god no god no just forget it exists

Edit: Where do I start with The Wildhearts?

Divorced And Curious fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 19, 2010

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Where do I go with Yo La Tengo? I've only listened to I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One, but I don't know where to go next.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Splash Damage posted:

Where should I start with the black metal bands Countess and Wolves in the Throne Room.

I would go with Two Hunters by WITTR, the vinyl version if you can find a copy (there's an extra song on there that's really good). That said, their specific brand of dirt-worshiping eco-black metal doesn't vary wildly from release to release, so you'll get a feel for whether or not you like the band from any of their albums.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Where do I go with Yo La Tengo? I've only listened to I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One, but I don't know where to go next.

I suggest Painful, And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out, Popular Songs, and I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your rear end in that order.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I agree for the most part but would put Summer Sun way above Popular Songs

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, I didn't think Popular Songs was that strong of an album compared to the other ones you mentioned. I'd recommend Electropura as well. It seems like it gets forgotten a lot being sandwiched between Painful and I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Violent J Mascis posted:

Yeah, I didn't think Popular Songs was that strong of an album compared to the other ones you mentioned. I'd recommend Electropura as well. It seems like it gets forgotten a lot being sandwiched between Painful and I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One.

Yeah, I'm probably showing a little of my bias because I enjoyed Popular Songs more than most other YLT fans.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I guess while not an official album, I think The Sounds of the Sounds of Silence is my fourth favorite Yo La Tengo album, after Painful, I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One, and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out (probably in that order).

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I'm looking to explore some country outside JC and Willie Nelson looks like a good artist to start with, but his body of work is overwhelming. Can anyone help me out?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, okay.. Where do I start with Fela Kuti?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Try Expensive poo poo and Zombie. The former is my favourite. Prepare yourself for near-orgasmic horn awesomeness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XuHZkn0VFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgewcFh-cg

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Expensive poo poo & Zombie aren't bad by any means, and they're by far his most famous albums, but I'd say Roforofo Fight, London Scene & Shakara/Lady are just as good as starting points.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.
Where do I start with the Residents?

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Where might one start with the Bee Gees?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Famicom Bunko posted:

Where might one start with the Bee Gees?

I would start with the 2-CD compilation Bee Gee's Greatest Hits. Since the Bee Gees were always a singles bands, buying their albums is something only a completist or huge fan would wanna do. That album has everything from the late Sixties stuff all the way through the disco era.

Alternatively, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack has a ton of disco Bee Gees songs, plus some other interesting-in-a-period-sort-of-way stuff.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Any suggestions on which albums, what order to start listening to einsturzende neubauten? I picked up "Silence is Sexy" a few years ago and love it, but I have a feeling its far more minimalist than some of their other stuff, but i really don't know anything about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hows about James Chance?