Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As the last man on Earth to not see Avatar, I suppose I'll have to watch it unriffed first. Or should I watch the riffed version, and screw the unriffed one?

You're far from the last man. I'm sure there are many that haven't seen it. Myself included.

Corridor posted:

Goddammit Rifftrax team, slow the gently caress down! I only have lovely Australian speeds, I can't KEEP downloading movies all the time! :argh:

But the MP3s are tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Deadpool posted:

But the MP3s are tiny.

Yeah but I still need to get hold of the movies. And the local rental places have poo poo selections.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As the last man on Earth to not see Avatar, I suppose I'll have to watch it unriffed first. Or should I watch the riffed version, and screw the unriffed one?

I just watched the unriffed version two days ago, do not bother. You're not going to watch it again, even with a Rifftrax.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I would watch in unriffed first. I find it easier to follow the riff if I've seen the movie first, otherwise I end up zoning out the riffing and trying to pay attention to the movie. This made Twilight a punishing experience, so I actually watched New Moon by itself before I watched it with the riff. :suicide:

Besides that, it's really not a *bad* movie. It's not groundbreaking by any means, other than the effects, but it is entertaining and enjoyable.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

I would watch in unriffed first. I find it easier to follow the riff if I've seen the movie first, otherwise I end up zoning out the riffing and trying to pay attention to the movie. This made Twilight a punishing experience, so I actually watched New Moon by itself before I watched it with the riff. :suicide:

Besides that, it's really not a *bad* movie. It's not groundbreaking by any means, other than the effects, but it is entertaining and enjoyable.

New Moon practically doesn't need a Rifftrax to be funny.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Pompous Rhombus posted:

New Moon practically doesn't need a Rifftrax to be funny.
Someone mentioned on Jimmy Carr's twitter that she looks like she's being fingered the whole time during the movie.

Now I can't stop seeing it.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Plavski posted:

Someone mentioned on Jimmy Carr's twitter that she looks like she's being fingered the whole time during the movie.

Now I can't stop seeing it.

Sweet mother of Jesus. :gonk:

RexDart
Apr 13, 2003

I've only seen pre-synced Rifftrax. Has anybody here ever tried to sync one of these mp3's with a movie other than on your computer? Like say I only have Transformers on blu-ray and my BD player is in my living room. It seems like it would be really impractical; all I can think of is putting the mp3 onto my iPod, setting up a separate set of small speakers in the living room, and plugging the iPod into that.

What is the way most people who are buying the mp3s are watching these?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fiddle about until it's synced up from the start and pray to god that nobody calls or interrupts or I have to go to the bathroom

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

RexDart posted:

Has anybody here ever tried to sync one of these mp3's with a movie other than on your computer? Like say I only have Transformers on blu-ray and my BD player is in my living room. It seems like it would be really impractical; all I can think of is putting the mp3 onto my iPod, setting up a separate set of small speakers in the living room, and plugging the iPod into that.

Back when I lived at home this was the way I watched rifftrax. My friends had a cheapo surround sound that I gave them and we plugged the iPod into it and used the TV's speakers for the movie.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

RexDart posted:

I've only seen pre-synced Rifftrax. Has anybody here ever tried to sync one of these mp3's with a movie other than on your computer? Like say I only have Transformers on blu-ray and my BD player is in my living room. It seems like it would be really impractical; all I can think of is putting the mp3 onto my iPod, setting up a separate set of small speakers in the living room, and plugging the iPod into that.

I either sync them myself, or load the MP3s onto my iPod and then watch the movie with my headphones on.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

RexDart posted:

I usually sync them myself. Rip the movie from the DVD, seperate the audio from the movie, and then sync the soundtrack to the RiffTrax in Audacity. It's a bit of a chore, but trying to keep the movie and the RiffTrax synced with Disembaudio's lines is an exercise in frustration, so I'm willing to put some effort into having a perfectly synced RiffTrax. Plus, the latest version of Audacity has the awesome Auto Duck function, which lowers the soundtrack of the movie whenever the guys are talking.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

RexDart posted:

Back in my old place we used to run the ipod through a mixer and sync it up directly. Now I just do the Audacity auto-ducking and ripping thing. I have a bunch of guidelines I follow so it works out the same each time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just finished watching Poltergeist.

Not Stratton/Varney's best work, but still pretty good. The audio was a bitch to do because the movie's soundtrack is fairly low until you get the loud-as-gently caress poltergeisty stuff. I had to lower the volume in those sections.

The movie itself holds up fairly well (curse or no curse).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I mostly watch pre-synced (but buy/donate, you bastards) because it's easier. This leads to me owning something like X-Men or The Dark Knight on Bluray, the riff in MP3, but I'm watching a downloaded file that looks like complete poo poo when blown up on a 47" TV just to avoid the hassle of syncing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've had "The Room" for ages but I tried watching it once and only lasted about 5 minutes. Finally got around to watching the whole thing, it's decent all-around, but the Oh hi, gun beh-wuhl at the end is probably one of the best set-up riffs of all time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
We've hit another lull for Rifftrax releases, prompting another spree of Shorts purchases. For those not buying them: you messed up big time. $9.90 will buy you 10 of them, clocking in at 1h30m, give or take. How much was the last comedy DVD you purchased, and how much did you laugh throughout?

A Circus Wakes Up had me close to vomiting from laughing so hard. Flying Stewardesses and An Aquarium in Action were both excellent.

I was a bit skeptical with the Shorts purchases before (a normal movie length riff at $2.99 versus a short at $0.99 didn't seem worth it), but the Shorts are seriously underpriced, in my opinion, for how great they are. Each one is the best dollar you'll ever spend.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

We've hit another lull for Rifftrax releases, prompting another spree of Shorts purchases. For those not buying them: you messed up big time. $9.90 will buy you 10 of them, clocking in at 1h30m, give or take. How much was the last comedy DVD you purchased, and how much did you laugh throughout?

A Circus Wakes Up had me close to vomiting from laughing so hard. Flying Stewardesses and An Aquarium in Action were both excellent.

I was a bit skeptical with the Shorts purchases before (a normal movie length riff at $2.99 versus a short at $0.99 didn't seem worth it), but the Shorts are seriously underpriced, in my opinion, for how great they are. Each one is the best dollar you'll ever spend.

Yeah, I buy every single short that comes out. I don't think there's ever been a bad one. They are the perfect fodder for riffing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of my favorites is Moose Baby. Every time the audio cuts out, their comments make me howl, and the "huh, and he saw a bird for two-tenths of a second!" is one of my favorite Shorts comments.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Just finished the "Avatar" Rifftrax. One of their best, and anyone who has been to Disney's Animal Kingdom will get a few belly laughs. Also, they make a Satyajit Ray reference. And call Stephen Lang's character Duke Nukem at one point.

I found this to be the easiest MP3 to synch to the movie. It never drifted after the first five minutes or so.

Captain Invictus posted:

One of my favorites is Moose Baby.

Seriously, more people need to see this short, so that they know where to search for tender water plants.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 23, 2010

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Robert Denby posted:

Just finished the "Avatar" Rifftrax. One of their best, and anyone who has been to Disney's Animal Kingdom will get a few belly laughs. Also, they make a Satyajit Ray reference. And call Stephen Lang's character Duke Nukem at one point.

Just finished my first viewing along with the riff.

Why wasn't his smurf body eaten by the many, many predators and scavengers on Pandora when it's lying in the ash fields for like 4 days?

Why did the robot suit have a giant knife? For robot suit knife fights?

Why did they think it was over forever when the military left? The Earth people aren't going to stop wanting stupidmagufinum. They'll just come back and nuke the gently caress out of the planet next time.

Why did this dumb movie make so much money?

Any way, the riff was great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Here's how I synch it: Since my DVD and PS2 are both connected to the same TV, I just burn an MP3 CD of the riff, play it in the DVD player, while playing the DVD in the PS2.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Universe Master posted:

Just finished my first viewing along with the riff.

Why wasn't his smurf body eaten by the many, many predators and scavengers on Pandora when it's lying in the ash fields for like 4 days?

Why did the robot suit have a giant knife? For robot suit knife fights?

Why did they think it was over forever when the military left? The Earth people aren't going to stop wanting stupidmagufinum. They'll just come back and nuke the gently caress out of the planet next time.

Why did this dumb movie make so much money?

Any way, the riff was great.

Honestly, if you didn't see it in IMAX, it's hard to understand. With it filling your entire view, in 3D, with surround sound and bowel-loosening subwoofers under your seat, if you let yourself get into it it was an experience. It's got a horribly wooden plot with awful, awful dialogue but the world itself, on that big screen, was really something to behold. Watching it now on an HDTV simply can't compare.

And halfway through the riff, it's been absolutely fantastic all the way. "DRAGONCON!"

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Davros1 posted:

Here's how I synch it: Since my DVD and PS2 are both connected to the same TV, I just burn an MP3 CD of the riff, play it in the DVD player, while playing the DVD in the PS2.

so how do you get both audio tracks playing at once?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So yeah the Avatar rifftrax is probably the second or third best of any of the full-length riffs, you should really, really buy it

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Avatar riff has easily made it into my top 5.

"Oh great, we've wandered into the poster section of any given head shop."

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Good lord, disembaudio singing at the end was glorious!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just finished Avatar.

Great riffing. The movie? Well, it looks great. I can see that Cameron didn't spend much of the $270 million dollar budget on character development.

So many cliches.

"This is how Jim Morrison died. Well, this is how Jim Morrison thought he died."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just finished Avatar.

Great riffing. The movie? Well, it looks great. I can see that Cameron didn't spend much of the $270 million dollar budget on character development.

So many cliches.

I'd feel like a hypocrite for hating Avatar when I love movies like Commando and Aliens and Crank. Sometimes a cliche-a-thon can be quite entertaining.

But I will be getting this rifftrax, because there's so much fodder in that movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I'd feel like a hypocrite for hating Avatar when I love movies like Commando and Aliens and Crank. Sometimes a cliche-a-thon can be quite entertaining.

But I will be getting this rifftrax, because there's so much fodder in that movie.

Except those movies know what they are. Pure popcorn. Avatar seems to take itself way to seriously.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Verdict: pretty good. A few good lines. The 80's Cliche Machine Colonel character took a savage beating and I loved every second of it.

The last 30 seconds of Avatar (before Disembaudio starts singing) killed me. So much melodrama killed so quickly with such a juvenile joke.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Verdict: pretty good. A few good lines. The 80's Cliche Machine Colonel character took a savage beating and I loved every second of it.

The last 30 seconds of Avatar (before Disembaudio starts singing) killed me. So much melodrama killed so quickly with such a juvenile joke.

You know who could have saved that character?

R. Lee Ermey.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Mister Kingdom posted:

You know who could have saved that character?

R. Lee Ermey.

No no no no

We're supposed to be rooting against the Marines.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Universe Master posted:

No no no no

Ermey would know what they were doing was wrong and rip everybody's eyes out and skull gently caress them into submission.

Which leads me to observe that everyone at the base suddenly felt bad AFTER they destroyed the life tree.

God, this movie was bad.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ermey would know what they were doing was wrong and rip everybody's eyes out and skull gently caress them into submission.

Which leads me to observe that everyone at the base suddenly felt bad AFTER they destroyed the life tree.

God, this movie was bad.

Pretty sure being captured, owned and kicked off the planet by giant cats made them feel bad.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

AxeManiac posted:

Pretty sure being captured, owned and kicked off the planet by giant cats made them feel bad.

And deservedly so.

What amazes me is that a corporation that can create giant fake-cat people avatars can't figure out a way to get the ore they need without loving over the real cat people.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Mister Kingdom posted:

And deservedly so.

What amazes me is that a corporation that can create giant fake-cat people avatars can't figure out a way to get the ore they need without loving over the real cat people.

I'm pretty sure 2.5 hours of innovative drilling techniques would have been much more interesting.

I loved Avatar, can't wait to see how good they rip on it with the RiffTrax! If they Riff a movie I like, I still like the actual riff. I don't need to stand with them in agreement, some of my favorite riffs have been on movies I liked.

They make bad movies good and good movies gooder.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

AxeManiac posted:

I'm pretty sure 2.5 hours of innovative drilling techniques would have been much more interesting.

It would be better than trade negotiations and political intrigue. Ha! Take THAT, Lucas.

The riffing is pretty good on this one.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
New short.

Rifftrax posted:

Can genius be taught? It is one of the great philosophical questions. With enough time, patience, and dedication, can the next Van Gogh be created? Or is the mastery of an artistic discipline something that only a few people are born with the inherent capacity for? The producers of the series Drawing for Beginners believe that a great artist lurks inside all of us, and with the proper attention and guidance, it may one day emerge like a beautiful butterfly, to bestow artistic gifts unto humanity the likes of which the world has never seen.

Step one? Rectangles! Four lines, four right angles. Sounds easy right?  WRONG! Improperly drawn rectangles are the second most common mistake witnessed by elementary school art teachers, right behind birds in the shape of lower case m's which most biologists agree make no evolutionary sense. It turns out rectangles are the foundation of all art. Don't believe us? What do the Mona Lisa, American Gothic and The Scream all have in common? Innovations in painted light, aerial perspective and irony? WRONG! The answer is rectangular frames! The next time you're in the Sistine Chapel, why don't you look up at the ceiling and tell us what shapes you see up there. Hint: not rhombuses. Still don't believe us? Pull a DVD off your shelf. Yeah, that one will do. Wait, is that...you own What About Bob? on DVD? No, no, I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't seem like the kind of movie you'd really want to watch repeatedly. Well, saying it's a gift doesn't exactly explain it, the person who gave it to you would still have to assume that you would want to - LOOK, the point is, what shape is the box? A rectangle! Art! Rectangles! They just go together!

It therefore goes without saying that if you want to create art, you better drat well learn to draw your rectangles. And Drawing For Beginners: The Rectangle is as good a jumping off point as any...for weeding out the dullards who actually need instruction about drawing rectangles and who clearly have no business ever picking up an artistic implement of any type, lest they injure themselves or others. Maybe they'd be happier watching the Number Munchers demo screen.

Mike, Kevin and Bill take pen in hand and do some old fashioned rectanglin' in Drawing For Beginners: The Rectangle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Universe Master posted:

No no no no

Wait, what?

Then why'd they make the blue cats abominable furries and give the marines cool loving helicopters and walking tanks?

And they were lead by the ultimate amalgamation of every single badass marine from every 80's movie ever.

How in the hell are you supposed to be rooting for the giant animals that ruthlessly kill people?

• Locked thread