Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

Not that there were a lot of Build games
There were actually around 13 of the buggers.

electrigger posted:

Beat the first episode of Blood. This game is such a fun use of the BUILD engine. Wish there were some other things to kill besides cultists, zombies, and gargoyles though...
Episode 2 adds a bunch of new enemies, like Fish Men and So Many Goddamn Spiders.

Not really GoG related, but definitely awesome-old-games related, The free-download revamped version of Mechwarrior 4 has finally been cleared by Microsoft legal and is coming soon!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The Kins posted:

There were actually around 13 of the buggers.

I saw the list of games on Wiki and just paid attention to the top 7, 5 of which I've played or owned. Tekwar never happened :colbert: (and I've never heard of Powerslave).

A fun engine, but it died hard and fast as soon as Quake was released and changed everything overnight--despite being fairly dull single player, 16+ player online wrecked the internet forever, even with 1,000ms latency.

Hmm... Freespace 2 is on sale. I could actually buy it for once.

Beto Rocha
Jan 2, 2010
New Weekend sale is up, SciFi Sim All-Stars:
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/scifi_sim
I remember playing the demo for Descent 2 a loong time ago, is it worth buying?
And how about Freespace?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Beto Rocha posted:

And how about Freespace?

Descent 2 was all about multi-axis flight to move some 3x normal speed during deathmatch. Fly forward, strafe to one side, and strafe vertically; hit booster, tilt nose downish and to a side, WHOOOOOSH by and only adjust angle to murder your opponent. I could never do more than 2 axises, and very poorly.

Freespace is one of the most epic space sims ever--or was still when I finally played through it in 2005 after GoGamer sold it for $2. Most people, to a possible collectively rose-tinted memory, have considered Freespace 2 to be one of the best games ever made. I've never gotten more than a few missions into it for various reasons.

Freespace 2 went open source a while ago and has lots of awesome graphical updates for it, and I believe a mod that ports all of Freespace 1 to its superior engine, though that's likely :filez: now since GoG publishes it.

EDIT: Maybe it isn't; the mod's name is "Freespace to Freespace 2 Port". Still plan to purchase FS2 and Blood this weekend.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 23, 2010

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'd like to see Shadow President on GOG. It's the only game of its kind of which I'm aware (excluding the sequel, CyberJudas [its actual name]). You play as the President of the United States and you can do pretty much whatever you want with regards to national and international politics. You just have to make sure you're popular enough to get re-elected, because otherwise it's Game Over when the presidential election rolls around.

What I'd really like to see, though, is a proper sequel/remake. Shadow President starts in 1990, and it's assumed that everything that happened in real life prior to that date also happened in the game. So much crazy poo poo has happened on the world stage over the past two decades that a version of Shadow President that starts in 2010 and takes into account the fall of the Soviet Union, the Persian Gulf War, the 2000 election, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, etc. would be radically different.

(fun fact: Shadow President is the game that that "nuking Israel" gif came from.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Andrigaar posted:

A fun engine, but it died hard and fast as soon as Quake was released and changed everything overnight--despite being fairly dull single player, 16+ player online wrecked the internet forever, even with 1,000ms latency.

32-player Quake on the first level owned. I have very fond memories of CTF.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Descent 1+2 and Freespace 1+2 are all superb games.

I could write an essay on how good they are, but just buy them already. :colbert:

Both have modern source ports available. DXX Rebirth and FS2 Open.

There are also plenty of user-made levels and campaigns for both. Some are quite good.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Weedle posted:

I'd like to see Shadow President on GOG. It's the only game of its kind of which I'm aware (excluding the sequel, CyberJudas [its actual name]). You play as the President of the United States and you can do pretty much whatever you want with regards to national and international politics. You just have to make sure you're popular enough to get re-elected, because otherwise it's Game Over when the presidential election rolls around.

What I'd really like to see, though, is a proper sequel/remake. Shadow President starts in 1990, and it's assumed that everything that happened in real life prior to that date also happened in the game. So much crazy poo poo has happened on the world stage over the past two decades that a version of Shadow President that starts in 2010 and takes into account the fall of the Soviet Union, the Persian Gulf War, the 2000 election, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, etc. would be radically different.

(fun fact: Shadow President is the game that that "nuking Israel" gif came from.)

I remember buying this game for cheap aaaaages ago. Was a lot of fun pretending to be the president of the US. And getting assassinated/kicked out for wanton nuking of random upstart countries.

Also invading Iraq (and doing it right the first time :colbert: )

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Beto Rocha posted:

And how about Freespace?

Descent 1 and 2 are standard 90's FPS fare done with a spaceship. and robots. There are some great levels although be forewarned, Descent 1's enemies have strong attacks and the game is pretty brutal. Still excellent though.

Descent 2 has far less powerful robots (Early on anyway) and has a much better difficulty curve. Definitely worth the purchase. Although, D2 on GOG does not have the Vertigo series expansion. While it is a good expansion pack you won't miss anything if you skip it and go straight to D3, just some mention of characters from D3.

Descent 3 is less like the first 2. It's objective based rather than "find keys and kill stuff" but it has some great music and gorgeous levels, although I will admit it has aged they still look pretty good. The expansion, Mercenary, is pretty good overall. Very short though.

The Freespace series is probably the BEST Sci-Fi military sim series ever. While I feel Freespace 2 is a better game than Freespace 1 there is no reason NOT to play FS1 before FS2. You can either buy it or just buy FS2 Or get the Freespace Port.

Also, a tip for FS1, do yourself a favor and don't play Silent Threat.

EDIT: Beaten on FSOpen but Descent 1 and 2 have ports to play on as well. You can play both on D2X-XL or DXX-Rebirth I personally use the Rebirth ports (Separate ports for each game) but they both allow new graphical features and higher resolutions.

EDIT2: Crap. Beaten on all accounts, I take too long to write a post.

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2010

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Spatial posted:

I could write an essay on how good they are, but just buy them already. :colbert:

There are also plenty of user-made levels and campaigns for both. Some are quite good.

Yeah Descent owns, I even love descent 3. Its worth saying that all of the descents are easy to configure and play using WSAD mouse keyboard controls. I've switched to them even though I was a joystick purist back in the day.

Just set Q and E to roll and something like Shift and ctrl to slide up/down.

There's a really nice multiplayer browser/map downloader/chat/launcher for decent 3.
http://www.slyclan.de/

Most servers dissable "mouselook" with descent 3 but you can still use your mouse in flight sim mode, just click on the "?" by the y axis control in mouse settings and invert it... you now have mouselook, you just have to account for the "weight" of the ship which never bothered me.

Not sure if there's anything simliar for decent 2 but I'd love to find out. Descent 3 has a small but active multiplayer community still, and a bunch of servers.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

AxeManiac posted:

Wow, like 3 hours just flew by playing moo2 on my laptop resting in bed. I've never played it before, it spooked me a bit, but I got the hang of it and it's mighty fun.

It's still probably the best game in it's genre, which is really sad when you think about it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It's still probably the best game in it's genre, which is really sad when you think about it.

Just like X-COM/UFO. It created and refined a genre, then proceeded to go down in its own flames.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I bought both Freespace games a while back on gog.com after a friend of mine raved on about them. I finaly got around to playing FS1 and completed it in one sitting. It'amazing. Playing though 2 now. The Open Freespace project is pretty awesome. Everyone should buy them.

I'm thinking about grabbing the Descent games. I know they are from different developers but FreeSpace 1 has Descent in the title, are the series related to each other in any way at all?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Freespace 1 has Descent in the title just for marketing purposes iirc. The games are completely unrelated.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

raezr posted:

Freespace 1 has Descent in the title just for marketing purposes iirc. The games are completely unrelated.

It's much like them randomly putting the Starsiege name in Tribes when it had nothing to do with the universe.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

I'm thinking about grabbing the Descent games. I know they are from different developers but FreeSpace 1 has Descent in the title, are the series related to each other in any way at all?
Volition is actually an offshoot of Parallax.

But yeah, they aren't related. As much as I would love to fly the Pyro GX around in space.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Spatial posted:

Descent 2 also has D2X-XL as an open source project. It adds a bunch of poo poo to the game that didn't exist, like a textured map and a particle engine and some other things... but I might have to try Rebirth. Apparently both projects were going to merge at one point and then there was the inevitable Internet drama so they never did.

I had a problem getting the deadzone to go away in D2X-XL on my Saitek x52 Pro which has like a 9 inch throw on it, so aiming was super hard. I ended up quitting before I got to the third level in D2. :\

Your results may vary.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I thought the open source FS2 project actually required some files from FS2 to run, and in fact the open source part is just the visual upgrade?

Or did I hallucinate that?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Ansob. posted:

I thought the open source FS2 project actually required some files from FS2 to run, and in fact the open source part is just the visual upgrade?

Or did I hallucinate that?

You need FS2 assets in order to play FS2 stuff. There are a bunch of free custom campaigns with user made content. And I think FS1 is free for whatever reason.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I know it is turn based, but I'm still worried about all my planets and sitting here at work isn't exactly helping. drat you MOO2!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Do I need a flight stick for Freespace 2, or can I just use the WASD + Mouse combo to control the game?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Do I need a flight stick for Freespace 2, or can I just use the WASD + Mouse combo to control the game?
I've played through both Freespace games several times with mouse/keyboard and it didn't make them any less fantastic. Then again I played X-Wing/TIE Fighter with a laptop trackball so I may just be a masochist.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

You need FS2 assets in order to play FS2 stuff. There are a bunch of free custom campaigns with user made content.

Is there any real point to buying FS2 then? Other than the FS2 plot itself being decent I guess.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

The controls are done so m+kb works, and they work very well.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
OP updated, and if you aren't doing this or already playing it, you are terrible:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Ansob. posted:

Is there any real point to buying FS2 then? Other than the FS2 plot itself being decent I guess.

Other than the plot being really god drat awesome? It's a fantastic game and the engine really makes FS2 shine (it looks good today). FS1 I think you can get free but I really haven't played it that much.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I already own the Descent and Freespace games but I bought them again anyway just because I like to support GOG. v:shobon:v

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Charles Martel posted:

OP updated, and if you aren't doing this or already playing it, you are terrible:

So why doesn't GOG link in to Facebook? It would be awesome if it told people when I got a new game or something, help spread the love.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I'm thinking that someone should make a new MoO 1/2 thread now that both of these games are available commercially for the first time in forever. I would like to suggest "MoO 1&2: Oh no! my planetz!" as a thread title.

If there's enough interest I'll throw something together.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Only the elite of the elite play with the top-of-the-line flightstick but I guess a pauper like yourself could use a mouse :smug:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I somehow checked that website a while ago after seeing this thread and wasn't convinced. I stumbled on it yesterday and purchased Dark Fall : The Journal to play at work. It's funny that a game labeled THE JOURNAL has no in-game journal and you have to make countless notes of everything yourself.

I was a big fan of adventure games (even if I get stuck all the time) and I will grab Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 at some other time. I sold my old games years ago so buying a version with no hassle/fan patch and countless workarounds to make it work in Windows XP (worse... I'm now on Windows 7) is excellent. I'm not even talking about trying to find boxed versions of these old games.

No DRM too. I can install it where I have access to a computer, crash, format or buy a new computer without stressing over limits!

Thank you Good Old Games and thank you goons to point me to that.

Games I'm eying :

Tex Murphy (Any goons played that?)
Dark Fall 2
Amerzone
Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 (Nostalgia!)
Gabriel's Knight
Vampire the Mesquerade - Redemption (Nostalgia!)

Time to read the whole thread and see what goons recommend from the other genres!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hemish posted:

Tex Murphy (Any goons played that?)
Start with Under a Killing Moon. It's pretty great and if you can take the cheese of Phantasmagoria you can definitely take the cheese of this.

quote:

Dark Fall 2
Better than Dark Fall 1, so if you liked that go for it.

quote:

Gabriel Knight
All three are worth getting. The third one gets a lot of poo poo for the cat mustache puzzle, but it's still a solid conclusion to the trilogy.

quote:

Time to read the whole thread and see what goons recommend from the other genres!
Fallout 1 & 2 are definitely needed, and I'm a huge fan of Might and Magic 1-6. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is also a no brainer, and Master of Orion 2 is still one of the best strategy games out there. Finally, Freespace 2 is the best mission-based space sim ever made, with Tie Fighter being the only real competition.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I don't think Might and Magic 1-6 aged well and sort of don't like them. I purchased them and didn't even get out of the first starting areas. Had way too many issues with gameplay and handy shortcuts I expect games to take. But I was never really a fan of those games, but loved the crap out of Daggerfall.

I think the movement throws me off in M&M, I have a hard time telling where I am.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Overwined posted:

I'm thinking that someone should make a new MoO 1/2 thread now that both of these games are available commercially for the first time in forever. I would like to suggest "MoO 1&2: Oh no! my planetz!" as a thread title.

If there's enough interest I'll throw something together.

I agree! I've just been playing MoO2 and wow, it holds up way better than I expected. I actually think I understand more of it too, since back when I was a kid some of the stuff like morale and how production was calculated went a bit over my head. I still don't get how to do the battle sections properly though, like how to tell if my ships are in range, or why 5x missiles might be better/worse than 20x missiles. Anyone got any tips?

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 24, 2010

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

I don't think Might and Magic 1-6 aged well and sort of don't like them. I purchased them and didn't even get out of the first starting areas. Had way too many issues with gameplay and handy shortcuts I expect games to take. But I was never really a fan of those games, but loved the crap out of Daggerfall.

I think the movement throws me off in M&M, I have a hard time telling where I am.

4, 5 and 6 are the only ones I actually like, and of those only 6 is remotely modern (though the auto maps and quest journals of 3, 4 and 5 were definitely ahead of their time). That said, I'll stand behind 6 as a game that's aged surprisingly well.

The first two are definitely "you had to be there" games, though, and 3 is pretty much just Xeen only slightly worse, which makes playing through it only worth it for people who want to go through the entire series.

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

sethsez posted:

4, 5 and 6 are the only ones I actually like, and of those only 6 is remotely modern (though the auto maps and quest journals of 3, 4 and 5 were definitely ahead of their time). That said, I'll stand behind 6 as a game that's aged surprisingly well.

The first two are definitely "you had to be there" games, though, and 3 is pretty much just Xeen only slightly worse, which makes playing through it only worth it for people who want to go through the entire series.

I'll back this up. The only game in the pack that I extensively played when I got was 6. The Xeen series I've dabbled with a bit. As far as 1 and 2 go though, I was spoiled by being exposed to them via decently put-together console versions, so revisiting them even in DOSBOX feels a bit backwards.

I'd like to see the series finished out on GOG, even though I know 9 really needs a fan patch (as if that stopped Arcanum). I'm not all that hopeful at this point, though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

God dammit, I went on a loving fit and bought Divine Divinity, Creatures, Darkstar One, Outcast, and reinstalled Patrician 3. Thanks good old games, you're a son of a bitch.

I HAVE LIKE 30 GODDAMN STEAM GAMES TO PLAY, STOP SELLING ME THINGS

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
When I run my games, they only take up like 1/10th of the screen and they're stuck in the upper left corner, and the rest of the screen goes black. Is there a way to expand the game to the entire screen?

VVV Thanks, that did it!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 24, 2010

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreatGreen posted:

When I run my games, they only take up like 1/10th of the screen and they're stuck in the upper left corner, and the rest of the screen goes black. Is there a way to expand the game to the entire screen?

Assuming the games you're trying to run are DOSBox, go into the game's .conf file and try changing the fullscreen resolution to your native resolution and adjusting the output setting (I believe surface has issues with scaling up, I generally use ddraw).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is this the right time to rant about how each individual HOMM game costs $10 but M&M 1-6 all together costs $10? Seriously, I really want to get some HOMM games off of GoG but there's no way in hell I'm doing it for $10 a pop, that's absurd. I'm just going to assume that Ubisoft is to blame for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is this the right time to rant about how each individual HOMM game costs $10 but M&M 1-6 all together costs $10? Seriously, I really want to get some HOMM games off of GoG but there's no way in hell I'm doing it for $10 a pop, that's absurd. I'm just going to assume that Ubisoft is to blame for this.

Then just buy HOMM3, because its far and away the best and you're really not missing anything.