Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

infraboy posted:

Whats the general opinion on the Honda VTR superhawks? They seem kinda interesting to me, they are usually pretty cheap. Seems like it's super torquey and pretty powerful, is it similar to the RC51?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1705566555.html

Also whats the deal with the RC51s? They seem absurdly expensive around here, how do they compare to the 600cc or literbikes? They do look pretty cool.

Cool bikes, hindered by a really small gas tank and lovely gas mileage. The Euro market got a bigger tank at some point, but it was dropped in the US and we never got that revision. The engines have a good reputation for reliability/going the distance. I've seen a number of them over 80k up for sale.

RC51s are stupid overpriced because people want to be Colin Edwards, or something stupid like that. They're all whining how their stupid loving overpriced bikes have had the market drop out of them now. I'm waiting for them to get down to 3k.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Are you interested in looking at any other bikes? Not that the B12(50) is a bad bike, but I'd warn you against spending nearly 5k on a bike that you haven't had a chance to really ride for any significant distance. It's not so much that it's a poor choice of bike as that it'd bad to spend 5k on a bike and then realize after 5k that you really don't like the bike...that's why I was so irritated after buying the ZZR. It was a great bike, but just wasn't for me.

But you only knew that after buying it and riding it for 5k. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

redscare posted:

I gave up on trying to sell the FZR and decided to donate it to charity. Actually, I didn't know you could until a coworker mentioned it to me this morning. I'm probably stupid for not realizing it earlier. Back to the world of having just one bike in a couple of days...someone hold me...

So what happens then? Some orphan kid with cancer gets it for free and can't afford any gear and crashes and dies but in the end he was happier this way?

In other news:

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

So what happens then? Some orphan kid with cancer gets it for free and can't afford any gear and crashes and dies but in the end he was happier this way?
Essentially, you give it to charity, who then sells it (probably at auction) and whatever they get you can deduct from your taxes.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Essentially, you give it to charity, who then sells it (probably at auction) and whatever they get you can deduct from your taxes.

I imagine they'll just give it to some shop to part out, its more valuable that way. Also, you write off the blue-book value (or whatever the equivalent is for bikes), not what they manage to get for it.

And you know what, if I was a cancer kid, I'd rather go out in a flaming bike wreck on a shitbox sportbike than in a hospital bed :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KARMA! posted:

But you only knew that after buying it and riding it for 5k. :v:

I had an inkling of what was coming after a week and about 500 miles on it though. I just didn't want to admit it to myself because I'd just spent the most money I've ever spent on a bike and I bought it from a friend who had cancer and....:sigh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, I realize they're near 600lbs and that is a sticking point; but it's also the only sticking point I can find. I'm just kinda craving torque and something that can handle curvy mountain roads as well as commuting on the highway for extended periods of time. The Bandit 1250 seems to fit that bill to a T. The Ninjette does it OK, I'm just ready for something different.

I have to remember that mine is modified somewhat, but they do hide their weight pretty well. A Bandit will never feel like a 250 or 600 supersport, but its not like riding some full dresser monstrosity either.

Go ride one if you can, once you experience the torque, all other worries go away :allears:

My 1200 is one torquey son of a bitch, and the 1250 is apparently quite a bit more torquey than the 1200, so I cant even picture what it would be like. Plus its a complete upgrade from the 1200 which was already a nice package.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ola posted:

In other news:

It is snowing right here, right now. It snowed a couple inches yesterday. "This is bullshit, man!"

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Ola posted:

:what: What? Its not sticking.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I should probably move this to the recommendation thread, but it's more like chatting in the garage with buddies about bikes since it's not like I'm actually going to be buying a bike this year unless my wife gets a job or our house sells.

Z3n posted:

Are you interested in looking at any other bikes?

I'm like a bisexual hippie when it comes to bikes; I'm open to anything. My main wants in order are:
  • Reliable
  • Handles mountain roads well
  • Power still left in reserve at 75mph
  • Decent gas mileage
  • Looks decent (have to have this for the wife, she won't let me get a weird looking bike)

Basically, a more grown up Ninja 250 would be ideal. I was just thinking Bandit because of the relatively low price and massive torque.

Phat_Albert posted:

Go ride one if you can, once you experience the torque, all other worries go away :allears:

I plan to if I can find someone willing to let me throw a leg over one. I just don't know anyone local who has one. I guess I could ride my father-in-law's bigass Harley to get an idea of the weight. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frozenphil posted:

I should probably move this to the recommendation thread, but it's more like chatting in the garage with buddies about bikes since it's not like I'm actually going to be buying a bike this year unless my wife gets a job or our house sells.

I'm like a bisexual hippie when it comes to bikes; I'm open to anything. My main wants in order are:
  • Reliable
  • Decent gas mileage
  • Looks decent (have to have this for the wife, she won't let me get a weird looking bike)

Basically, a more grown up Ninja 250 would be ideal. I was just thinking Bandit because of the relatively low price and massive torque.

I plan to if I can find someone willing to let me throw a leg over one. I just don't know anyone local who has one. I guess I could ride my father-in-law's bigass Harley to get an idea of the weight. :v:

Well, the Bandit is reliable as all hell, handles well for what it is, and will do 75mph with the engine off. I dont know what the mileage is like on the FI Bandits, but I cant imagine its very bad.

Looks decent? Well, I'm partial to the naked version:

But the faired one is nice too.

The bandit is one of the biggest bangs for the buck going in the motorcycle world in my mind, as they are pretty cheap bikes (purchase price-wise), and they are massively under rated, but hugely powerful and useful day to day. Remember, the original concept of the Bandit was to take a punched out GSXR-1100 motor and put it in a sport touring chassis, with a liberal sprinkling of GSXR parts all over. Its pretty much the best of both worlds.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

EDIT: It just clicked with me that you're coming from a 250 Ninja. Do you have any experience on bigger bikes? A Bandit 1250 is going to be mindblowing coming off a 250 Ninja.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 23, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

frozenphil posted:

• Reliable
  • Decent gas mileage

It's more expensive than a Bandit, but a newer (2007+) Triumph Tiger 1050's looks pretty nice. Supposed to be rock solid reliable, comfortable, and great for everyday riding. I'm eyeing it myself for future purchase (that will not likely happen anytime soon). If the upright wide bar thing isn't your style, there's always the Sprint too.
BMW F800's are pretty slick as well, there's a red one on my street. They get great mileage so I understand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

• Reliable
  • Decent gas mileage

Aprilia Tuono/Falco/Futura. Supersport 750/1000 with handlebars. Honda 919/599. Triumph Speed(or Street) Triple/Sprint ST/Tiger.

There are a LOT of options out there. :)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

frozenphil posted:

• Reliable
  • Decent gas mileage

How about a Ninja 650r?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kylej posted:

How about a Ninja 650r?

Along this line, SV650 would be a good choice too. If you want to be the most stereotypical CA poster ever. Do you own a Miata yet?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

EDIT: It just clicked with me that you're coming from a 250 Ninja. Do you have any experience on bigger bikes? A Bandit 1250 is going to be mindblowing coming off a 250 Ninja.

None what-so-ever. However, I'm nearly 30, not a moron, and I've put a few thousand miles on my 250 so far. I'll have over 15k miles on my Ninja, purchased new last August, by the end of this year at my current pace. I don't ride it every day, otherwise that number would be closer to 30k.

Linedance posted:

It's more expensive than a Bandit, but a newer (2007+) Triumph Tiger 1050's looks pretty nice.

Too ugly.

Z3n posted:

Aprilia Tuono/Falco/Futura. Supersport 750/1000 with handlebars. Honda 919/599. Triumph Speed(or Street) Triple/Sprint ST/Tiger.

There are a LOT of options out there. :)

Scared of the parts availability for an Aprilia. Supersports are definitely in the mix. I've always had a crush on the Honda 599/919, but their owners do too with the prices they ask when one actually comes up fro sale. Triumph needs to stop with the hideous headlights or the aftermarket needs to come up with a nice single before I'd consider one; I love them otherwise.

kylej posted:

How about a Ninja 650r?

It's a possibility, but kinda ugly.

Z3n posted:

Along this line, SV650 would be a good choice too. If you want to be the most stereotypical CA poster ever. Do you own a Miata yet?

Definitely in contention. The only problem with the SV is that seemingly everyone in my area believes their SV hasn't depreciated and that mods bring a 100% return on investment.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Have you considered a Ducati Streetfighter?

I still miss my SV. Take a serious look at these guys. They can be had for a song (stay patient if your area is being stupid) and are just fantastic everyday bikes. They wont blow you away, but they'll always satisfy. Plus, when you decide something needs to get made better, you can follow the path well traveled and upgrade anything you want. Also important, they've been made forever, so 10 years from now when you decide to finish putting it back together you can still find parts and such.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Scared of the parts availability for an Aprilia. Supersports are definitely in the mix. I've always had a crush on the Honda 599/919, but their owners do too with the prices they ask when one actually comes up fro sale. Triumph needs to stop with the hideous headlights or the aftermarket needs to come up with a nice single before I'd consider one; I love them otherwise.

I'd be scared too, from what I've been hearing from my local Aprilia garage. They have a 2003 Caponord in there that they can't get parts for because Aprilia doesn't make them anymore. My '06 Pegaso is in the shop right now for a new chain and sprockets and the all three parts had to come from 3 different sources, all of them not the factory as the factory didn't have any. And I'm in England, it's not like they have to cross the Atlantic. If it isn't a Tuono, an RSV, or a Shiver derivative, I'd make sure you've got a reliable parts source before going Aprilia. Great bikes, well built and reliable but spares are an issue.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Linedance posted:

I'd be scared too, from what I've been hearing from my local Aprilia garage. They have a 2003 Caponord in there that they can't get parts for because Aprilia doesn't make them anymore. My '06 Pegaso is in the shop right now for a new chain and sprockets and the all three parts had to come from 3 different sources, all of them not the factory as the factory didn't have any. And I'm in England, it's not like they have to cross the Atlantic. If it isn't a Tuono, an RSV, or a Shiver derivative, I'd make sure you've got a reliable parts source before going Aprilia. Great bikes, well built and reliable but spares are an issue.

Interesting, I have an RSV but I've never had problems getting parts and I completely overhauled my rear brake system. I'm in the US. This is the only site you ever need if you go Aprilia:

https://www.af1racing.com

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Also important, they've been made forever, so 10 years from now when you decide to finish putting it back together you can still find parts and such.

What need'st thou wound with cunning when thy might
Is more than my o'er-press'd defense can bide?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

AF1 is where it's at for Aprilia parts, I've never heard of people having issues with parts thanks to them. They also have fantastic customer service. There are some wiring issues with Aprilias (they are italian, after all), but it seems like generally they are quite quality with an engine that has been proven and goes forever.

I'd say that you should do up a GSX-R750 with handlebars and go enjoy riding your comfort rocket.

Or an SV, for something a bit more sane.

Also, spiffness...:iceburn:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I'm 25 and not married (though my g/f is lobbying to change that) so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm going to present the argument that you're thinking too much about this frozenphil. There is not a perfect bike out there. You can find negatives for every two wheeled death machine you'll see and the truth is you aren't going to know if you like it as your regular bike until you ride it regularly and you can't do that until you buy it. Plus its a motorcycle, if you don't like it you can resell it in a month and just be out a couple hundred for registration.

Edit:
Also 64.5 lb-ft of torque at 1,800 rpm. Buy the fuckin' bike!

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 23, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

oh and who you callin' ugly??

how about a K1200S? Heavy torque monster cruise missile if there ever was one. Not bad looking either.

Oakey posted:

Interesting, I have an RSV but I've never had problems getting parts and I completely overhauled my rear brake system. I'm in the US. This is the only site you ever need if you go Aprilia:

https://www.af1racing.com

For the mainstream models I don't doubt they're great, but for everything else, just because it has a part number doesn't mean they have it/can get it in stock. Again it, this is only hearsay, and hasn't really had much effect on me so far but from what the proprietor was telling me, anything pre-Piaggio money can be very iffy on availability. You have to hope someone else has what you need in stock because you can't guarantee you'll be able to get one from the factory.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 23, 2010

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was at the bar last night, and about 6 mongol prospects walked in. Then when I went outside, I saw that at least two of them had full face helmets hanging off their handlebars. :monocle:
Bikers wearing appropriate gear? What's going on around here?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

pr0zac posted:

I'm 25 and not married (though my g/f is lobbying to change that) so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm going to present the argument that you're thinking too much about this frozenphil. There is not a perfect bike out there. You can find negatives for every two wheeled death machine you'll see and the truth is you aren't going to know if you like it as your regular bike until you ride it regularly and you can't do that until you buy it. Plus its a motorcycle, if you don't like it you can resell it in a month and just be out a couple hundred for registration.

Edit:
Also 64.5 lb-ft of torque at 1,800 rpm. Buy the fuckin' bike!

I understand that, but my bank account and wife doesn't. I can't justify buying a bunch of bikes because they may be what I'm looking for instead of doing my research and finding the one that will satisfy most/all of my needs/wants.

Linedance posted:

oh and who you callin' ugly??

how about a K1200S? Heavy torque monster cruise missile if there ever was one. Not bad looking either.

That bike. I'm calling that bike ugly. It looks like a grasshopper with downs.

No thanks on the BMW front. My old E36 car scared me off of the brand and its ridiculous maintenance and even worse owners.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I'll beat the Bandit drum along with Phat_Albert. They meet all your requirements and as a bonus are dirt cheap.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah I'm not trying to discourage from the Bandit. My friend has a 1200S he enjoys it, though it is loving heavy and not the most nimble beast. You can probably shave 20 kilos or so off it just by replacing the stock can.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

Yeah I'm not trying to discourage from the Bandit. My friend has a 1200S he enjoys it, though it is loving heavy and not the most nimble beast. You can probably shave 20 kilos or so off it just by replacing the stock can.

The stock exhaust is about 20-25 lbs, there is an actual steel weight under the tank, bolted to the frame on the first gens, and under the tail section on the 2nd gens that is like 5lbs. Replacing the steel handlebars with aluminum units makes a difference as well.

They get a lot more nimble when you throw a 07-08 GSXR-1000 shock out back.

They arent a 600cc supersport, but they're far from being unweildy.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

redscare posted:

I gave up on trying to sell the FZR and decided to donate it to charity. Actually, I didn't know you could until a coworker mentioned it to me this morning. I'm probably stupid for not realizing it earlier. Back to the world of having just one bike in a couple of days...someone hold me...

This was a terrible idea and I'm glad my coworkers talked me out of it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

The stock exhaust is about 20-25 lbs, there is an actual steel weight under the tank, bolted to the frame on the first gens, and under the tail section on the 2nd gens that is like 5lbs. Replacing the steel handlebars with aluminum units makes a difference as well.

They get a lot more nimble when you throw a 07-08 GSXR-1000 shock out back.

They arent a 600cc supersport, but they're far from being unweildy.

last time I talked to him about it he was looking into what sort of suspension mods could be done, but the were postponed for budgetary reasons.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
oh god this is awesome and I want it.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/1706416466.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Z3n posted:

Wait, what? You're telling me that for driving an NB Miata and trying to find a Ninja 250 or SV650 I'm fulfilling some stereotype?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

oh god this is awesome and I want it.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/1706416466.html

quote:

keywords: (yamaha, motorcycle, bike, excellent)
I can just see someone mashing "EXCELLENT YAMAHA" into craigslist and buying whatever comes up.

Weinertron posted:

Wait, what? You're telling me that for driving an NB Miata and trying to find a Ninja 250 or SV650 I'm fulfilling some stereotype?

No because sigtrap says he'll ban us if we talk about AI groupthink. Of course you're a wonderful unique individual with your own tastes that just happen to align with those of everyone else.

(Kidding :) )

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Weinertron posted:

Yes, :dominic:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Weinertron posted:

Someone posted a pic in AI of their garage which was exactly that, a Miata, an SV and a Ninja 250. All red. Don't remember who it was, but I do not ridicule. I salute.

Also frozenphil, behold the Ducati ST4s

Decent mileage, good looks, tractable power, Öhlins in the back stock, decent riding position, good aftermarket and good maintenance for an Italian. It's in the same category as the Aprilia Futura but as I understand, the Futura guzzles a lot more gas,

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get a 6th gen VFR. Even brand new they're pretty cheap now that Honda's trying to clear them out.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Endless Mike posted:

Get a 6th gen VFR. Even brand new they're pretty cheap now that Honda's trying to clear them out.

This. 6th gen VFRs are comfortable, sporty, and extremely useful with the hard bags. It's heavier than a supersport by about 150lbs, but it doesn't feel like it once you're moving and will keep up with supersports as long as they're not crazy greeks. It's got a bigger gas tank than most bikes, it quiet enough to give electric bikes a run when it's under 7k rpms and has the best lights, dash and mirrors of any bike I've ever be on.

Here's mine when I had it:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I rode my friend's ST4, and it was an awesome bike. The VFRs are also awesome bikes, although they're kinda boring...but very, very good. Also, valve adjustments are a bitch with vtacks and the V4 engine.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Gnaghi posted:

This. 6th gen VFRs are comfortable, sporty, and extremely useful with the hard bags. It's heavier than a supersport by about 150lbs, but it doesn't feel like it once you're moving and will keep up with supersports as long as they're not crazy greeks. It's got a bigger gas tank than most bikes, it quiet enough to give electric bikes a run when it's under 7k rpms and has the best lights, dash and mirrors of any bike I've ever be on.

Here's mine when I had it:

Haha, same day this is posted look what I catch outside my work a few hours ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't expect an Items Wanted ad at Craigslist to generate this email.

quote:

Give my nephew Brandon a call he bought a 2003 left over brand new in 2004 he lost his license in 2007 and bike has been in heated storage since he bought it I drive the bike every now and then myself but he did tell me he was thinking of selling it to pay his fines and for his dui class bike is all stoke and in mint shape only 12,00 miles. give him a call brandon 603-xxx-xxxx

Somehow I doubt that bike was treated with the utmost care.