Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Can someone explain the retarded Invisible War save system? I must be new to this whole video game thing, because my expectation is that a 'quicksave' is a normal save game that lasts until I overwrite it by saving a new one. But I must be doing something wrong, because not only is the quick save not persistent upon leaving the game, if I accidentally choose to load something else (from the menu, naturally, because when you die it boots you back automatically), it overwrites the quicksave with whatever else I've loaded.

I realize Invisible War is terrible, but I'd be marginally more likely to play it through if I hadn't lost progress three or four times getting partially through Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Fnoigy - are you using Shifter? It made pepper spray a lot better.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

And I think tranqs KO instantly if you get a headshot but it's been a while since I've tried.
Yep. A normal dart headshot kills, but the same shot with tranqs renders them instantly unconscious.

Brannock posted:

Fnoigy - are you using Shifter? It made pepper spray a lot better.
My previous post was about vanilla-Deus Ex pepper spray. It's always been good.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 23, 2010

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I had an unintentionally funny moment once, meeting Stanton Dowd in Hell's Kitchen. After some conversation, the camera revealed a UN trooper standing behind JC, gun drawn but not moving. The camera shifted to Dowd, then back, but now there were three troopers. Another shift for more dialog, and there were six, just standing there, politely waiting for the conversation to end. :doh:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

GoldenNugget posted:

I never used pepper spray in my nonlethal run but I guess it was because I was using it wrong with the whole run up to someone while spraying and then baton them. Maybe I have to try sneaking up on them rather than be aggresive with it. But then I think I'd rather just straight up baton them.
It's not worth using on just one guy. On Liberty Island, there are two guys talking about Gunther's augs outside. They're facing away from you and you can get 'em from behind, but if you go with the baton or prod, the other guy will start shooting you while you're dealing with the first (and likely kill you on Realistic). You can waste a gas grenade or you can shoot a cloud of pepper spray to temporarily stun both of them, then switch to the baton or prod and finish them one by one.

Same situation with the merc and NSF soldier up near the top in the area with the three gas grenade traps.

tl;dr: use it on pairs or groups of three where gas grenades would be a waste

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Just got the thriilluminati ending for the first time. AH, YES!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Carbohydrates posted:

tl;dr: use it on pairs or groups of three where gas grenades would be a waste

Yeah I did use the pepper spray in those situations but I used about half of what I had to make them over their faces. I need to play around with it more to figure out how it works though (range, how to aim, amount to use, and level of alertness).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gynovore posted:

I had an unintentionally funny moment once, meeting Stanton Dowd in Hell's Kitchen. After some conversation, the camera revealed a UN trooper standing behind JC, gun drawn but not moving. The camera shifted to Dowd, then back, but now there were three troopers. Another shift for more dialog, and there were six, just standing there, politely waiting for the conversation to end. :doh:

More than once I've made suicide runs to computer consoles that controlled security networks, because if you open one any enemies will kindly wait for you to finish using it before they start riddling you with holes again. Which means you can hack a turret that it's connected to in the same room and then there's no more enemies to worry about. :v:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I...I... idontknowhattothinkanymore

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Upon replaying DE1 for the 3rd or 4th time I've decided to go very melee heavy and use the crossbow. I know how important the strength ability is for unlocking points and whatnot so would I be completely screwed if I took the melee damage ability instead? I'm not using any mods other than the fixer.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

Upon replaying DE1 for the 3rd or 4th time I've decided to go very melee heavy and use the crossbow. I know how important the strength ability is for unlocking points and whatnot so would I be completely screwed if I took the melee damage ability instead? I'm not using any mods other than the fixer.

I don't think the strength aug is all that important, though a few things are blocked by impassible crates.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Shifter combines those two augs into one, and makes the paired aug one which adds EMP damage. Something to consider.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't think the strength aug is all that important, though a few things are blocked by impassible crates.

Offhand, I can think of only two places where I used the strength aug:

1)Underneath NYC, stacking some crates is one way to pass the "Turret and steam" bit.

2)In the Paris subway, near the cathedral, moving a big crate lets you jump up to a small goodie cache.

Also, IIRC, you can throw Crates Of Boom farther.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Kitfox88 posted:

More than once I've made suicide runs to computer consoles that controlled security networks, because if you open one any enemies will kindly wait for you to finish using it before they start riddling you with holes again. Which means you can hack a turret that it's connected to in the same room and then there's no more enemies to worry about. :v:

I do this all the time, but when I tried it just now in Area 51, the grays ate my face instead of waiting for me to finish. <:mad:>

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I do this all the time, but when I tried it just now in Area 51, the grays ate my face instead of waiting for me to finish. <:mad:>

Aliens are not nearly as polite as humans it seems.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Dang I don't check this thread for a couple days and miss out on the sale :( Oh well I have a 2001 GOTY copy but it is buggy. Is there any point in still buying the Steam version or should I stick with what I have?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kitfox88 posted:

I've never seen anyone else in the game use a computer so I'm guessing its because they're either too bewildered to do anything or just assume you're supposed to be there.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Dr Snofeld posted:

Shifter combines those two augs into one, and makes the paired aug one which adds EMP damage. Something to consider.

I think I'll have to restart with shifter then. Good thing I didn't progress too far

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

I think I'll have to restart with shifter then. Good thing I didn't progress too far

And of course Biomod makes both of the mods passive so they drain no energy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Doctor Butts posted:

I've never seen anyone else in the game use a computer so I'm guessing its because they're either too bewildered to do anything or just assume you're supposed to be there.

Their minds are blown by the fact you can use the terminal without actually typing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Similarly, if you trigger a camera, it won't trip the alarm if you open a computer console first.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Weedle posted:

Similarly, if you trigger a camera, it won't trip the alarm if you open a computer console first.

Similarly, if a camera is watching over it's controlling console, you can jump out, activate the console, then duck behind corners/cover while the console is executing its opening animation.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

elzergone posted:

This is awful.

What a shame.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

bartkusa posted:

Similarly, if a camera is watching over it's controlling console, you can jump out, activate the console, then duck behind corners/cover while the console is executing its opening animation.
No need. If a camera is watching its console, just walk right up and open that terminal like you own the place and the camera will respect you and leave you alone.

(the instant that terminal opens, cameras fail to see you, even if you're right in front of it. Early example: the terminal/camera by where they're holding Gunther in Liberty Island)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gynovore posted:

Offhand, I can think of only two places where I used the strength aug:

1)Underneath NYC, stacking some crates is one way to pass the "Turret and steam" bit.

2)In the Paris subway, near the cathedral, moving a big crate lets you jump up to a small goodie cache.

You can also

Move a crate to sneak into Castle Clinton from a side entrance.

Outside of Area 51 at the start, there's a shipping container that you can climb to the top of by moving a large crate... I forget hat's up there, but I feel like it was an upgrade mod.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just found out that stomping cats gives you XP in Shifter. I didn't find out about this until I got to France and stepped on one of the cats by accident making it count as a hostile and thus giving me XP for killing it. Now I'm on my second playthrough with Shifter and I stomp any cat I see.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

FreudianSlippers posted:

I just found out that stomping cats gives you XP in Shifter. I didn't find out about this until I got to France and stepped on one of the cats by accident making it count as a hostile and thus giving me XP for killing it. Now I'm on my second playthrough with Shifter and I stomp any cat I see.

Deus Ex: Mario RPG Edition

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

So I was about to enter into the 747 hangar, when I decided I didn't want to spend any multitools or lockpicks trying to either hack the keypad to get into the hangar, or to open the door to get the pass code. So I went downstairs into the secret weapons cache under/behind the stairs and grabbed the LAW. Then I walked outside, shot open the window to the room where the pass code was, and shot the LAW into the room to blow open the door, along with all of the footlockers in there. I grabbed the pass code from a footlocker and walked right into the hangar.

All those doors, all those lockers, destroyed. What a shame.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
At the gas station where you rescue Tiffany Savage, in one of the semi trailers there are a couple big boxes that can only be moved with the strength aug too, behind which are a couple weapon mods iirc

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

HoldYourFire posted:

I hate to make the obvious joke, but how could you tell? :colbert:

Because the audio starts and stops at different points than the lip movements. DUH. :colbert:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
More strength aug stuff:

Area 51, the little shed directly behind you at spawn, you can enter through the roof if you have strength (to move a box) + speed (to jump onto it)

The barracks leading to the 747 hangar, you can enter through the window on the side into the room with the footlockers instead of walking through the front door

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Have another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ubWxcj2FU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Gynovore posted:

Id forgotten about that walkthrough, its rather funny

http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Have another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ubWxcj2FU

The best part is when Paul says his "The GEP gun might be useful, the NSF have a security bot on patrol" when the bot is visible right behind him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CaptainWinky posted:

The best part is when Paul says his "The GEP gun might be useful, the NSF have a security bot on patrol" when the bot is visible right behind him.
That's why I went with that option.

That and... well, I kept flashing back to the recut and had to recreate it a bit.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
You should have gotten Paul to basically win the level for you. He gives you all that poo poo about being police and not killing, and then goes on a murderous rampage because the other guys happened to be nearby.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fnoigy posted:

You should have gotten Paul to basically win the level for you. He gives you all that poo poo about being police and not killing, and then goes on a murderous rampage because the other guys happened to be nearby.
Well, he did shrug off like 2 pistol shots before getting his rage on.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
edit: whoops wrong vid

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I just smoked ten packs of cigs and it killed me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
What a rotten way to die.