Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am thinking about upgrading my laptop from Vista to 7. I read a few articles published before 7 came out that it would increase laptop battery life by almost 20%. I was wondering if this turned out to actually be true? Anyone have experience with windows 7 on a laptop and can attest to it increasing battery life?

On my R61 when 7 came out I got about 10-15 (from 1:30 to 1:45 or so) minutes more out of a charge than on Vista, although my battery was pretty much ruined from abuse by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

revolther posted:

This is the complete system scan all anti-virus do upon the first run and will usually try to do every time they run until it's been completed at least once. If they can't verify the security of your system, they can't ensure it remains that way.

Yeah probably - but it hit the laptop so hard that keypresses and clicks would take minutes to respond, parts of the display would redraw line by line... I don't know if there was another underlying cause, but having MSE running made it unusable (same went for the PC Tools crap as well). Just anecdotal really, but that and the hanging-on-certain-files thing are the problems I've run into.

Still probably the best free AV I've used though

paperfax
Oct 17, 2008
100% recycled material
Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I'm having some problems changing system sounds. Whenever my computer goes to sleep or wakes up, "chimes.wav" plays, but there's no setting for this under the 'Sound' tab. Even when all sounds are turned off ("No Sounds" scheme) it still plays. I can't delete chimes.wav because I don't have administrator permissions, but I'd assume there's some normal way of fixing this? I'm running Windows 7 on my Asus netbook, and it'd be nice to be discreet about opening it in class without always having to remember to mute every time...

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
Arg..

How do I make sure mouse movement won't wake my Windows 7 from sleep?

I don't want an accidental rocking to wake the thing up or anything. I'd rather wake the computer up by pressing Cntl-Alt-Del or just the power button.

It happens on both sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep mode.

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008

cannibustacap posted:

Arg..

How do I make sure mouse movement won't wake my Windows 7 from sleep?

I don't want an accidental rocking to wake the thing up or anything. I'd rather wake the computer up by pressing Cntl-Alt-Del or just the power button.

It happens on both sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep mode.

Go into device manager, open the properties for the mouse and there should be a power management tab with a check box saying "Allow this device to wake the computer".

Had to figure this one out for my HTPC, I'd walk past the coffee table and TV would turn on. But if that's not it, I don't know.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

FitFortDanga posted:

In a nutshell, the problem (as it is now) is that Java is not installed but Windows thinks it is. I've tried 4 or 5 different methods of completely removing Java. But whenever I try to install it, it says "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?".
What methods did you try?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ninepints posted:

Mine updates itself automatically, integrates perfectly with Automatic Updates, and can be updated by non-admins, so this sounds a lot like a problem on your end v:)v

Well, we've had too many issues with it.

I've tried it twice now on my computer, and the way it seems to scan everything (mostly non-dangerous files) hurts performance too much. I'm running Win7 x64 w/ 8 Gigs RAM, a Core 2 Quad @ 3.2 GHz, and a pair of WD Black 7200 RPM 640 Gig Drives (32 Megs cache), and the disk activity it causes when doing a lot of copies/movies just cripples the system. Task Manager always shows the MSE EXE eating up CPU, and Performance Monitor always shows tons of disk activity with the MSE EXE. I have no idea why it seems to want to scan so much all the time. I keep the scheduled scans disabled, so only the on-access scanner should be enabled.

I've had enough people at work come up to me and ask what the "popup" is that keeps telling them to update it.

I've had enough false-alarms with it. It seems to be at the AVG-level of false-alarms. I've had to mark the same file as "safe" countless times.

I've worked with it on far too many systems and installed by far too many people for me to even think it is something *I* am doing wrong with it.

And I know it's not just me, as Googling for the update issue comes back with others having the same issue.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r23234204-Microsoft-Security-Essentials-MSE-does-not-update

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Microsoft-anti-virus-software-dawdles-over-updates-838203.html

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/...nature-problem/

There is mention of maybe the system "sleeps" during update time and doesn't get to grab updates, but these are Desktop systems used continuously during business hours.
Automatic Updates downloads all Windows updates fine, but MSE never updates.

I guess I could put MSE back on some systems after adjusting more Update settings, making sure Sleep is disabled, editing registry keys, etc. Or, I could just not put MSE on any systems and not worry about it. AVG is a pain, but it gives us a year before we have any trouble with it (forced upgrade).

Regarding speed issues, I didn't find as many hits (moving thousands of files around like I do may not be as common as MSE not updating).

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/msestart/thread/d0c8e535-57f9-4bbd-a8a3-78cb3b96b4d3

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

FitFortDanga posted:

In a nutshell, the problem (as it is now) is that Java is not installed but Windows thinks it is. I've tried 4 or 5 different methods of completely removing Java. But whenever I try to install it, it says "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?". I say Yes, and then it tells me "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I think it's possible that Windows Installer 5 is hosed to.

Had this exact problem once, and I had to go into the registry and hunt down some java related keys and delete them then it reinstalled fine.

Don't remember where though, I'd try just the usual current_user and local_machine for java entries and try deleting those before poking in farther.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xenomorph posted:

And I know it's not just me, as Googling for the update issue comes back with others having the same issue.

Regarding speed issues, I didn't find as many hits (moving thousands of files around like I do may not be as common as MSE not updating).

I don't care if you use MSE or not, but I wanted to point out Googling for any potential problem will get you hits for anything.

Name of popular software + "slow"|"crash"|"anal rape" = hits

In other words, every piece of software in existence has problems in some configuration.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Xenomorph posted:

MSE

My MSE has been so invisible that I actually just now checked to make sure I hadn't accidentally disabled it at some point. It's far and away the best AV I've ever used.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
MSE killed my dog and gave me diarrhea. I'm going to avoid it for a while.

Use it if you like it. It seemed to have much-less retarded install than the other free virus scanners (you don't have to un-check a dozen things like Link Scanners and Toolbars and poo poo).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Yip Yips posted:

My MSE has been so invisible that I actually just now checked to make sure I hadn't accidentally disabled it at some point. It's far and away the best AV I've ever used.

I haven't been running any anti-virus for the last three years.

I might actually give MSE a go.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Factor Mystic posted:

I feel like Microsoft doesn't really help themselves much with bluescreens, as far as average users go. If I were in charge, instead of a generic "Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown" message upon reboot, I'd ID the responsible driver, map it to a Product/Corporation name, with a link to their support email with a prefilled message that says something along the lines of "Dear Nvidia, your software broke my computer".

Name and shame.

Well the problem is this isn't really possible during a blue screen because the kernel has halted. They actually have improved this with Vista/7 with the error reporting thing. Microsoft goes through what gets submitted and if they see a faulty driver or something that is consistently causing problems and an update/patch addresses it, it will point you in that direction to resolve the issue. I've had it on several occasions tell me that my lovely ATI driver was causing blue screens in nice, easy to understand language which would be good for most home users.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

rhuagh posted:

Go into device manager, open the properties for the mouse and there should be a power management tab with a check box saying "Allow this device to wake the computer".

Had to figure this one out for my HTPC, I'd walk past the coffee table and TV would turn on. But if that's not it, I don't know.

I knew there had to be a simple answer. Thanks!

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is there a way to remove the block Win7 puts on Read/Write permissions in the Program Files (x86) and My Documents folders? I need to give Fallout 3 write permissions to all of its associated files but Win7 won't let me.

(I have Win7 x64 Home Premium)

To clarify: no matter where I put a folder (Program Files, My Documents, even Desktop), Win7 will automatically re-check the Read Only option under General, and reverts the checks I put under Allow in the security tab.

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 22, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is there a way to remove the block Win7 puts on Read/Write permissions in the Program Files (x86) and My Documents folders? I need to give Fallout 3 write permissions to all of its associated files but Win7 won't let me.

(I have Win7 x64 Home Premium)

You should have full control of your My Documents folder unless something is severely screwed up. Program Files are locked down for a reason and Fallout 3 was written to work properly with UAC so it doesn't need to write anything out to its own directory, not to mention that the virtualstore compatibility layer will redirect a program's writes from that location to the virtualstore in your user profile.

e: If something is adding the read-only attrib to everything you make and trashing your security permissions on the fly then I'm going to recommend a reformat because you have a seriously screwed up computer.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Fallout 3 was written to work properly with UAC

Except that Bethesda came right out and said that FO3 was not supported for Win7. Something is making my game crash and I've tried everything I can think of so this is the last possible explanation.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

They're saying that because the OS came out after the game and I don't blame them, its standard practice. Obviously other people are running it without having to jump through hoops, which really points things back to a driver/config issue. Try starting the game in windowed mode and see if that does anything. Check your event log for more details on the crash.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I hate to ask such a stupid question but how do I access my event log? Someone had mentioned the Windows Error reporting tool and I had no idea where to find that either.

e: also the windowed mode didn't work. Tried turning off V-Sync as well.

Deutsch Nozzle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 22, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Type Event Viewer in to the quicksearch bar, it should be the first hit. The logs for your game crashing should be under Windows Logs, Application.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I don't want to clutter this thread with my Fallout 3 tech support so I posted the error code I found with that in the thread I linked in my above post. Thanks.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Type Event Viewer in to the quicksearch bar, it should be the first hit. The logs for your game crashing should be under Windows Logs, Application.

Eventvwr in the run dialog for XP/Vista too, just fyi in case you need it.

the Dealy Lama
Apr 2, 2005
Hail Eris! Hail Eris! Hail Eris!
I have fallout 3 and windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and besides the odd crash (this program has ceased working properly) I have been able to run everything fine.

If the file is always read-only no matter where you put it, is that because you've copied it from the programfiles folder or after you reinstalled the game?

I would uninstall FO3 and reinstall it as an admin (right-click on the installer, run as administrator.) I have it installed in the program files(x86) folder and the saved games are defaulting into My Documents\My Games\Fallout 3\

edit: I read your OP in the Haus and saw that the game worked in vista for you, did you run the upgrade or fresh install of win7?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I received Win7 factory installed on my Alienware. Vista was on my old machine (which I still have, it just isn't hooked up).

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
So the keyboard shortcut [Windows]+[P] is awesome for using dual displays, it's straight forward enough that it doesn't confuse anyone.
I'm looking for some other shortcut that will address the following scenario:
- There are 2 monitors
- 1 monitor is ALWAYS on.
- Monitor B is only turned on at a keystroke, and it mirrors Monitor A.
- With another keystroke, Monitor B is turned off, and Monitor A stays on.

What I'm doing is using the shorcut of Win+P to go from "Computer only" to "Mirror" (you have to hit enter or spacebar to activate), and then when I need to go back to "computer only", hitting Win+P again, changing it back to "Computer Only" by moving with the arrows (and enter/space to use that selection).
That works, but what I'd really like would be a keyboard shortcut to hit to make it do this, so that there's no need to use the arrows or enter/space.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Alfajor posted:

So the keyboard shortcut [Windows]+[P] is awesome for using dual displays, it's straight forward enough that it doesn't confuse anyone.
I'm looking for some other shortcut that will address the following scenario:
- There are 2 monitors
- 1 monitor is ALWAYS on.
- Monitor B is only turned on at a keystroke, and it mirrors Monitor A.
- With another keystroke, Monitor B is turned off, and Monitor A stays on.

What I'm doing is using the shorcut of Win+P to go from "Computer only" to "Mirror" (you have to hit enter or spacebar to activate), and then when I need to go back to "computer only", hitting Win+P again, changing it back to "Computer Only" by moving with the arrows (and enter/space to use that selection).
That works, but what I'd really like would be a keyboard shortcut to hit to make it do this, so that there's no need to use the arrows or enter/space.

Win+Shift+P goes in the other direction, and if you hold win key down till it pops up you can release and it'll make the changes automatically.

SaintofKillers
Jul 22, 2003
The most merciful thing in the world . . . is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft
MSE isn't meant for the "corporate" environment. As far as the update issue in said environment, I'm betting WSUS is being run and all computers are going to it for updates. If this is the case then WSUS only has an option for updating Microsoft Forefront, not MSE...as far as I know.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

SaintofKillers posted:

MSE isn't meant for the "corporate" environment. As far as the update issue in said environment, I'm betting WSUS is being run and all computers are going to it for updates. If this is the case then WSUS only has an option for updating Microsoft Forefront, not MSE...as far as I know.
Had a check, and the definitions come through on my WSUS.

SaintofKillers
Jul 22, 2003
The most merciful thing in the world . . . is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft

Armourking posted:

Hmmm, I would have figured otherwise seeing as they offer Forefront for Business.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I hate to ask such a stupid question but how do I access my event log? Someone had mentioned the Windows Error reporting tool and I had no idea where to find that either.

e: also the windowed mode didn't work. Tried turning off V-Sync as well.

Already answered, but I wanted to point out that for 90% of the things you want to do in Windows the answer is: "type it in search".

What you want is the first result when you type "event log".

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Is there any way to get the tablet PC input behavior to work for a regular mouse? I really want to use press and hold for right click all the time.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Armourking posted:

It comes down as a Windows update, so yeah, gonna be in WSUS.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to convince my dad to replace the lovely PCs in his office for something that doesn't quite hang for 3 minutes when opening Firefox. There's just 5 computers, and all they're used for is Office, Internet and Email. There's a small network that's used for accessing the networked printers/hard drive and pretty much nothing else.

My question is: is there any reason for him to get Professional or should he just stick to Home Basic? Looking at the feature-list in the OP I can't see anything he'd miss, but I don't want to have to make him upgrade 4 months down the line because some dumb, but super important thing I overlooked isn't available.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
You can't join a domain with Home Premium.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dangerous.hotdog posted:

You can't join a domain with Home Premium.

Which means exactly what on a day-to-day basis (I'm kind of dumb when it comes to networking)?

205b
Mar 25, 2007

If you have a Windows server, joining the workstations to a domain will allow you to remotely push software and configuration changes, as well provide centralized authentication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_domain

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ninepints posted:

If you have a Windows server, joining the workstations to a domain will allow you to remotely push software and configuration changes, as well provide centralized authentication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_domain

This will most likely not be happening. There's no dedicated IT at the Office, we just have an on-call third party IT service that comes in if there's an emergency. I'm literally talking about people that walk in to the office, fire up the computer, open up Firefox/Outlook/Word and that's about all that happens all day. Is there any advantage to having a Windows domain in this case besides the time you save on the initial installation of all the software?

I mean, worst case scenario you can literally get up and be at any of the computers in a maximum of 15 seconds.

Edit: Basically, is there any thing particularly important that just standard workgroups won't cover?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This will most likely not be happening. There's no dedicated IT at the Office, we just have an on-call third party IT service that comes in if there's an emergency. I'm literally talking about people that walk in to the office, fire up the computer, open up Firefox/Outlook/Word and that's about all that happens all day. Is there any advantage to having a Windows domain in this case besides the time you save on the initial installation of all the software?

I mean, worst case scenario you can literally get up and be at any of the computers in a maximum of 15 seconds.

Edit: Basically, is there any thing particularly important that just standard workgroups won't cover?

If your company grows to need a real IT department and infrastructure, whoever leads that team will curse whoever made the decision to put home licenses on all the workstations when they deem it is time to implement a domain.

You cannot manage a workgroup-type network scalably.

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Even if you're using a workgroup now, getting the business edition is a really easy way to futureproof. It'll almost certainly be a good decision in the long run, and for five computers, it shouldn't cost too much extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Couldn't they just use Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade to Professional if they need it later?