Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Happy Hippo posted:

*posts 500th link to Achewood strip "The Future"*

*wins prize*

I forgot that everything was set in stone two years ago :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Am i the only one who finds this entire story arc to just feel really forced and melodramatic? To be honest, i don't think any of the "drama" arcs have been very good, though. But i just don't see how this is so darn depressing.

(disclaimer: i love achewood!! i just dont love the drama)

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I forgot that everything was set in stone two years ago :sweatdrop:

I hope Ray is making the most of his ears while he's still got em

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Technique posted:

Am i the only one who finds this entire story arc to just feel really forced and melodramatic? To be honest, i don't think any of the "drama" arcs have been very good, though. But i just don't see how this is so darn depressing.

(disclaimer: i love achewood!! i just dont love the drama)

You might just not like drama in general.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm pretty ambivalent about this arc as well.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

I promise to get back to projectile vomiting and jelqpunk bits pretty soon. Let the artist explore his sadder feelings, people.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I actually feel like this last strip really tied the arc together a lot better than I was expecting to. I really liked it.

I do really look forward to getting back to punching guys on their erections, though. It's been... far too long now.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Revol posted:

I actually feel like this last strip really tied the arc together a lot better than I was expecting to. I really liked it.

I liked it too. It was a really nice resolution for the arc; ending on a laugh or something more melodramatic, or even something more depressing, wouldn't have felt right. It was sad in a way that let you know things were working out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Haters gon' hate, but I personally love it when Achewood gets melancholy once in a while. It makes the funny jokes funnier when there's a little bit of sadness leavened in from time to time.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
I would not have guessed that Phillipe's dad was a french existentialist.

perhaps this was...FRENCH MAGICAL REALISM? (no it wasn't)

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
Well I enjoyed it.
And I really enjoyed the fact that we got to see Philippe's dad. An otter in a beret with a Gauloise (it had better be a Gauloise or failing that a Gitane) is as good as or better than anything I could have imagined on my own.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

That war his dad served in? I'm betting it was the first world war.

We are thinking the same thought. What is it about this guy that strikes me as having been in trenches?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

We are thinking the same thought. What is it about this guy that strikes me as having been in trenches?

The fact he was clearly raised on a French Farm. The French Army in the first world war was the majority of the nations Agriculturual Workers. Hence the crapness of post war France in everything. Hard to maintain your post war nation when all your strong males between eighteen to twenty are dead or crippled by shell shock.

I am aware said father is also a cartoon Otter who raised a son that can't age right. God I love this webcomic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the difficulty that Papa (obviously from a more "stoic" age) has with expressing that he was feeling an emotional reaction to coming home and his meal not being made right.

"Seeck to my stomach, but een my head."

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Chris Onstad posted:

Let the artist explore his sadder feelings, people.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

in which case, here's a box of tissues and the keys to my Dodge, go ahead and take twenty. I'm parked behind the Starbucks and I left my phone in there; I have a really great data plan so go ahead and use that if you need to. Just leave everything in the back seat when you're done, though; I'm planning to encase the used tissues in handsome laminate blocks and make a killing on Etsy (hopefully it sells better than the Beneath The Convention Chairs of Ryan North Collection)

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
:siren:NEW STRIP!:siren:

I'm severely disappointed Onstad.

Not a single erection is punched.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Steve DeNeuve is a great loving character. I almost feel like he's too good for the strip. Everyone else has some gigantic flaw, Steve only does things that make me clap.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I loved this arc and I love Steve DeNeuve.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If only we all had our own Steve DeNueves, carefully guiding us to our rightful place while we nap in a box :allears:

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Sigma-X posted:

If only we all had our own Steve DeNueves, carefully guiding us to our rightful place while we nap in a box :allears:

I guess that's why he's so expensive. Hiring this guy full time would break the bank, no matter who you are.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It makes me happy that Teodor still sleeps nude.

Keep on rockin, T.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Second strip in a row to just straight-up make me :)

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
Hell yeah Canadians making it happen for Phillipe :canada:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Okay, i have to admit i liked this one. :3:

... But i still want those erection-punches and slidewhistles! :mad:

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I really like the use of favorite meals as a way to express the sentiment associated with "home" without resorting to cliche. This arc has been brilliant from the first appearance of "little massive man".

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Look at how happy Phillipe is to go home.

It's okay everyone, he's still five. :neckbeard:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Philippe didn't even do anything this strip and it's still adorable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Good to see we're not going to lose Phillipe after all. I wonder of the return trip with finish off whats left with the cash? or would the meal be enough.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
anyone want to ruminate on the exchange

"How's his mom handling this?"
"She didn't have to, his father did."

Is that foreshadowing of something that will get revealed in the conclusion of the arc, or am I just not getting it.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

RolandTower posted:

anyone want to ruminate on the exchange

"How's his mom handling this?"
"She didn't have to, his father did."

Is that foreshadowing of something that will get revealed in the conclusion of the arc, or am I just not getting it.

Phillipe's father told him he should pack up and go home in last week's strip. He probably left without interacting with his mom any more. I dunno what the house vanishing at the end is all about though.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

King Nothing posted:

Phillipe's father told him he should pack up and go home in last week's strip. He probably left without interacting with his mom any more. I dunno what the house vanishing at the end is all about though.

I read that as symbolically showing that his mom's house isn't home anymore.

Or maybe the house flew away, stranger things have happened.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Bleak Gremlin

King Nothing posted:

I was under the impression that that was supposed to be Philippe's grandfather, based on the fact that he calls Phillipe "mon grand" and makes reference to serving in a war as a child. And yeah I thought the house disappearing was just a visual metaphor for the disintegration of its status as a home.

If it was Philippe's dad, then how does Steve know about it? Was it actually Steve, who realized that Philippe would not be happy and needed a way to get him to leave his mom again? THIS IS IMPORTANT STUFF MAN.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All I know is :3:

Those jumbo shrimp skewers are going to taste even better now :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Jerusalem posted:

All I know is :3:

Those jumbo shrimp skewers are going to taste even better now :)

But he'll miss the upcoming previews for the NEXT season of Canal Vista! :ohdear:

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.
I wonder if Steve DeNeuve saw this coming. Did he have to recalculate how soon he'd have to come back to the new house based on the time it took Phillipe's mom to hug him, and the intensity? Just from the second sentence he ever uttered in the strip, about how great the little otter's friends were, he probably had this gamed out in his head before Phillipe even started talking to him. Possibly five minutes after he first got the transport order. I bet when Phillipe finished packing, there the car was- pulling into the driveway, ready for return.

Man, now I really want to read some of his Yelp reviews. The one Todd got were priceless. Nice arc, Onstad. Do goons get a discount at your store?

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

RolandTower posted:

I was under the impression that that was supposed to be Philippe's grandfather, based on the fact that he calls Phillipe "mon grand" and makes reference to serving in a war as a child. And yeah I thought the house disappearing was just a visual metaphor for the disintegration of its status as a home.

If it was Philippe's dad, then how does Steve know about it? Was it actually Steve, who realized that Philippe would not be happy and needed a way to get him to leave his mom again? THIS IS IMPORTANT STUFF MAN.

Steve knows because Steve is the best.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

trevalyan posted:

Man, now I really want to read some of his Yelp reviews. The one Todd got were priceless. Nice arc, Onstad. Do goons get a discount at your store?
Where did Todd get a review?

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Bleak Gremlin

platero posted:

Steve knows because Steve is the best.

I guess he just pays attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Where did Todd get a review?

It was when Todd became a gigalo with Teodor advertising for him, right before he got stuck in Magical Realism North Korea.