Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jabs posted:

Too new a rider with a bike that's too new to me, and is so small it feels like a bicycle to me, anyway.

Prediction: They'll feel a lot like tires.

Understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
So while in South Africa I was looking at eBay and found all body parts for my 848 in Carbon Fibre, they were advertised as scuffed but may polish out, so I bought them and fitted them on Saturday, the results:

Click here for the full 861x646 image.

Click here for the full 775x582 image.

Basically 2 hours with some rubbing compound and they came up like new.

Oh yes, and the cost for the side panels, tail unit and the under tank parts (already had everything else carbon).........£400.00 as they were scuffed.....loving result!!!!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Paint the top part white, and tape out where the 848 decals would be...there's nothing better than the numbers on a bike done in CF under the paint :) Looks great though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like that a lot.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Bolted aluminum panniers on the KLR. Should be nice for camping on the bike whenever the weather stops sucking.

They were spendy, but the quality is pretty nice.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got halfway through an oil change when I realized I never got a new oil filter cover gasket.

The first filter I bought included both gaskets for the cover right in the box. The last two have not.

loving Hollywood Honda wants like $7 for them too. :mad:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So I was going to check if my F2's radiator cap wasn't screwed on all the way, but I happened to find a small pair of pliers and realized this would work really well in removing those pins from the 2 pins that hold the rear brake pads into the caliper on my GS500. The rear brakes seemed to be dragging on the rotor slightly

Hmm

Oh dear god!

Do NOT let your brake pads get so low :( I didn't even realize.

So I inserted back the old calipers, after trying to use a C clamp to push the calipers back, I found a small channel lock instead and gave it a squeeze, worked really well for pushing the pistons back.

New pads in, those little pin holes are pretty trickey, also holding the springs down. Good as new!

late night wrenching past midnight is fun.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Da-yum, what did the rotor look like?

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
Don't the pads start squeaking bad like they do on cars? Mine will probably get worn down quick because I tend to pull in the clutch and slow down with the brakes instead of engine breaking to stops.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's a good idea to pull the clutch if the engine breaks.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got some spare parts for my 1980 GS850:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Came off a running bike that the guy couldn't get a title for. Looks like I'll be cleaning them out some weekend soon.

$100 for full carbs with boots, air shocks and a seat...did I do OK?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

M4gic posted:

Don't the pads start squeaking bad like they do on cars? Mine will probably get worn down quick because I tend to pull in the clutch and slow down with the brakes instead of engine breaking to stops.

Sometimes, but sometimes it's the opposite. My bike squeals like crazy, but it's because the PO put super-metallica brake pads on, so it always sounds horrible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Plinkey posted:

I got some spare parts for my 1980 GS850:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Came off a running bike that the guy couldn't get a title for. Looks like I'll be cleaning them out some weekend soon.

$100 for full carbs with boots, air shocks and a seat...did I do OK?

I'd say yes.

I've had brakes not squeal until they hit the metal backing plate.

Gnaghi, Some antisqueal on the back of the brake pad will usually sort any squealing issues out.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

I'd say yes.

I've had brakes not squeal until they hit the metal backing plate.

Gnaghi, Some antisqueal on the back of the brake pad will usually sort any squealing issues out.

Hmm yeah my rear brakes didn't squeak at all when I used them, I only pulled them out because I noticed the rotor was dragging a bit on the calipers, I had a feeling they'd need to be changed soon so I ordered a pair from bike bandit a week ago.

I also hosed up the left side chain adjuster on my GS.... I stripped the threads with the nut somehow, don't try to adjust the chain without taking off or loosening the axle bolt. :( Oh well it's only 15 bucks.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ola posted:

It's a good idea to pull the clutch if the engine breaks.

M4gic posted:

It's just that kind of day around here, innit?
In that spirit...

Gnaghi posted:

Sometimes, but sometimes it's the opposite. My bike squeals like crazy, but it's because the PO put super-metallica brake pads on, so it always sounds horrible.
Pft. I want some Super Metallica brake pads. I think they'd sound awesome, if you had the right ones...
*Squeezes front brake - Wherever I May Roam starts coming out of the vicinity of the front wheel*

*Adds some back brake - Sounds of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra starts coming out of the vicinity of the back wheel*

What did I do to my ride today?

Click here for the full 800x800 image.[/url]

Not my ride, and not my fault, but I "broke" the shift linkage of a 2010 Victory Hammer on a test ride during Victory's "Fuel It" demo days.
The nut on the shift linkage came off and the linkage separated as I was shifting into second at the start of a long, straight uphill section of the demo loop. Bounced off the rev limiter a couple times, before I felt the shifter flopping around under my foot without any tension on it. Pulled my foot out from under it and it flopped right over.
They came and fixed it, and I got to pick my own drat route back to the shop, instead of being stuck in a huge group of guys. I love an adventure.

drat nice bikes, and it was the first time I was on a cruiser-style big twin.
The first loop, I was on a maroon Kingpin.

Click here for the full 1680x843 image.

Nice bike, decent ergos, but the loving floorboards were bugging the poo poo out of me. The forward controls were just a bit TOO far forward for my 30" inseam, and the shifter and brake were a reach for my toes...the rest of the bike was comfortable, but it was a pain in the rear end to shift.
85 HP, and I had the opportunity to use all of them at a couple points along the ride - I had to hit 80 in a 45 to catch up to the group at one point (the same spot where I broke the shifter on the Hammer, actually...)

Second ride, I was on a Hammer S.

Click here for the full 1680x894 image.

Again, a great bike. No floorboards, but the seating position was just different enough that I wound up hurting just a little in my lower back after about 10 minutes on the bike. The unintended stop in the middle of the ride was...a nice break, actually. 97 HP, but damned if I could tell the difference.
If they weren't $18,500, I might be tempted to get one, and adjust the ergos to suit me a little better. After all, it *does* match my helmet already, and isn't that the important only thing that matters?

P.S. Pam, the woman in the photo with the "Harley Davidson / Police" thing on the back of her jacket is loving awesome. She rides the white Road King in the first picture with that 3/4 helmet in white and black you see in the second picture. She says that when she rides side-by-side with Mike (the guy in the matching helmet, with a matching Road King) traffic is like the parting of the loving Red Sea in front of them. People can't get out of their way fast enough. =)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 25, 2010

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
I paid that bad boy off today. :woop:

Now I suppose it's time to clean, lube and hoon it.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Finally got those loving warning stickers off my gas tank! Made the bike look so tacky, and I didn't need reminding all the time that riding is dangerous. I understood that when I bought the drat thing.

Anyways, had to peel the plastic off the top of each, soak the stickers in WD40, and begin scraping with an old credit card. Took forever :sweatdrop:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Sharp_angus posted:

Finally got those loving warning stickers off my gas tank! Made the bike look so tacky, and I didn't need reminding all the time that riding is dangerous. I understood that when I bought the drat thing.

Anyways, had to peel the plastic off the top of each, soak the stickers in WD40, and begin scraping with an old credit card. Took forever :sweatdrop:
Step 1: Apply to sticker
Step 2: Allow to sit for 1 minute
Step 3: Gently rub sticker away.

Worth its weight in gold.

"Goo Gone" is more readily available and sucks 50 times more. Use Goof Off instead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Fantastipotamus posted:

"Goo Gone" is more readily available and sucks 50 times more. Use Goof Off instead.

True miracle products are rare, but you've nailed one of them. Goof Off is awesome.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Fantastipotamus posted:

Son of a BITCH...

Serves me right for not posting around here to see what works well first.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fantastipotamus posted:

:ssh: It's cheaper when it is sold as Lighter Fluid :ssh:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

What did I do to my ride? Well rode it of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDHkwqcblqI

(Video is blocked in Germany, the gently caress if I know why)

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

All I did was think about my ride all weekend :( I got pretty ill and still have a bit of a fever, and have been to weak to get around, much less wrench on the bike. I did however watch a lot of documentaries about national parks and imagine riding through them...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Installed Tech Spec on my Ninja 250. It's incredible how much of a difference it makes when you can keep your lower half planted through corners. I didn't ride this weekend as I live next to Talladega Super Speedway and gently caress playing chicken with drunk rednecks when the NASCAR race is in town.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I spent the weekend cleaning my entire fuel system! Seriously guys, a $5 bottle of STA-BIL will save you a lot of hassle down the road. :eng99:

That said, CRC Tyme does wonders for cleaning super corroded carburetors.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Finally fitted the vrod headlight to my sv, made up some temporary brackets so i can ride it for the moment, next up is a veypor to replace the huge stock SVs clocks

cant find a before picture.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

timb posted:

I spent the weekend cleaning my entire fuel system! Seriously guys, a $5 bottle of STA-BIL will save you a lot of hassle down the road. :eng99:

That said, CRC Tyme does wonders for cleaning super corroded carburetors.

Is this a before or after picture?

I think there's too much salt water in your fuel. Correction: Too less fuel in your salt water.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Today, I met my new bike and hugged it.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Someday soon, little Ninja, I will ride you around, and Do Things to you. Like fix your paint job.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

modify_evolution posted:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Someday soon, little Ninja, I will ride you around, and Do Things to you. Like fix your paint job.

You've done pretty well. That's a really good starter bike. Painting the exhaust with heat resistant matte black will be your first job.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I was riding around town with a friend and I guess my battery died on me cause at one point I couldn't get it to start anymore, it did try to turn around a couple times but guess there wasn't enough current to get a spark going, so I had to let it sit there and am charging the battery over night, hopefully that'll be enough to get it started, cause I wanna get some new Metzeler Tourances up in this bitch tomorrow. How hard is it to get a kickstart onto a KLR?

Also am currently looking at a dude selling some spare parts he had lying in a shed off an old tengai: Exhaust, Forks, Front wheel, rear shock, body panels, tank, seat, rear frame all in pretty good shape although dusty. For sure in better shape than what I have on my bike right now, so let's see how that goes.

niethan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 26, 2010

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Blaster of Justice posted:

Is this a before or after picture?

I think there's too much salt water in your fuel. Correction: Too less fuel in your salt water.

After. It was really rusted and corroded before.

I know those jets should be shiny and brass colored, but they're clean on the inside now, which is what counts.

The bike sat outside for two years, unused, with no fuel stabilizer.

Once I get my tank back from the Line-X place, we'll see how it runs.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I had a sort of bad epiphany today.

Der Scooter is boring. It's got plenty of power and all but all the power is so high up on the band and the transmission ratio is close enough that the only way to stay in the power and really go fast and have fun is to loving /DESTROY/ the speed limit. I finally just went out and flogged the bastard and it was a hoot, but Jesus, you can't ride like that all the time; you'll end up in jail or dead. So..... I'm a bit sad really. If that bastard didn't eat up miles on the highway so good I'd immediately go out and start looking for something to trade it on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

I had a sort of bad epiphany today.

Der Scooter is boring. It's got plenty of power and all but all the power is so high up on the band and the transmission ratio is close enough that the only way to stay in the power and really go fast and have fun is to loving /DESTROY/ the speed limit. I finally just went out and flogged the bastard and it was a hoot, but Jesus, you can't ride like that all the time; you'll end up in jail or dead. So..... I'm a bit sad really. If that bastard didn't eat up miles on the highway so good I'd immediately go out and start looking for something to trade it on.

Welcome to why I only ride bikes on the street with low HP :(

I'll have an update tonight on what's been going on with my bikes. :sigh:

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot
Got my new(used) starter installed in my DR650 a week ago, but was able to get the rest of the bike back together finally this weekend. So I got to ride it to work today.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'll have an update tonight on what's been going on with my bikes. :sigh:

Having ridden a ZZR 1400 today, I can understand why you got rid of yours. Any feeling of the powerband is like:

WOOOOOOAAAAAAAAH....oh lord brake brake brake.

Speed limit destroyed at the bolded letter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Having ridden a ZZR 1400 today, I can understand why you got rid of yours. Any feeling of the powerband is like:

WOOOOOOAAAAAAAAH....oh lord brake brake brake.

Speed limit destroyed at the bolded letter.

The real problem is when you ride a bike like that regularly...and it starts to feel slow. And you start doing 110mph everywhere, wondering why your bike isn't pulling like it normally does.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

niethan posted:

How hard is it to get a kickstart onto a KLR?
Pre 96: Easy, but parts are hard to find.
96 and newer: Not gonna happen.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

BUELL ARGUEMENT

THREAD NECROMANCY

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

The real problem is when you ride a bike like that regularly...and it starts to feel slow. And you start doing 110mph everywhere, wondering why your bike isn't pulling like it normally does.

It's funny when I first started riding my F2 I thought i'd never need a bike more powerful than this, I mean it's still crazy how fast I could be going in 2nd gear, easily above the speed limit, sounds great too, but i've gotten slightly used to it, even though I only really rev it up there when i'm on a nice long on ramp or something. It does have me REALLY curious though as to what a modern fuel injected 600cc bike would feel like, or even what a liter bike would feel like.

Also I think i'll be ordering a new chain and sprocket kit for the F2 next week along with a breaker/riveting tool. It's recommended that I grind off the rivets before I attempt to punch it through right? It looks like it'll be fairly straight-forward, I have an impact gun to deal with any really stuck on bolts and a grinding tool to remove the rivet head if I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

BUELL ARGUEMENT

THREAD NECROMANCY

:ohdear:

infraboy, yeah, you'll be fine, you've got everything you need.