Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

surivdaoreht posted:

My aptitude test is booked...

I DID COCAINE!!

The way i studied for the aptitude test was go online and look for practice tests. Search ASVAB (American version, more practice tests) and do them online. Find out your weakness and focus on it.

After the aptitude test they will write down the drugs and when you did them. If you haven't done them within the last 6 months you will be fine. If you have done them in the last 6 months they will tell you to come back after 6 months has past. Its up to you if you want to tell them. As long as it is in the past you will be fine ( over a year at least)

MAKE SURE YOU TALK TO YOUR RECRUITER ABOUT YOUR RANK. Get it in your contract that you will get your cpl's after basic training. I have friends who were trained ( AVN's) before joining and they got their cpl's after a shortened version of the AVN training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

surivdaoreht posted:

I went in today and dropped off my completed application for the Canadian Forces, applying for an AVN TECH position. I'm 5 weeks from completing my two year college program for aircraft maintenance. I have a couple questions to ask you guys.

My aptitude test is booked for the 6th of May, I'm wondering how I can best prepare myself so I ace it. I don't really know what to expect since the recruiter I spoke to said the example test is a fair bit easier than the actual test.

My other question is something I've been pondering for a little while now. I used to do some drugs when I was younger and stupid. I dabbled in ecstasy and cocaine, and a whole lot of marijuana. I haven't smoke pot in over a year, maybe even a year and a half or more. I haven't touched ecstasy or cocaine in well over two years. My question is this; Should I tell the truth or should I just tell them I don't and haven't done drugs? I'm not sure what difference it'll make to them if I admit to doing it in the past. I have an acquaintance who happens to be in the military and said if I haven't done it in that amount of time and it's permanently behind me, to just tell I've never done it (that's what he did).

I'm not really sure what to do, what do you think?
Don't you have to tell them all the drugs you've done, when you started/ended doing them and the total amount of times you've done them. Even with things like Alcohol and caffeine.

I remember on mine I wrote that I smoked a lot of pot and high school and did shrooms once and they said it didn't matter as long as I no longer did them.

Longsaddle
Feb 2, 2006

"So I lied, I cheated, I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would."
/

Longsaddle fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 5, 2023

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Nephirim posted:

Yeah the recruiters aren't looking for saints, everyone's done drugs at some point now, be honest and as long as you aren't using now and it wouldn't come up in a test you should be good to go.

I told them about using E and things like that when I first joined i've been in for 8 years now.

An the aptitude test is sinfully easy.

And it makes it so that everyone takes it is all like "The guy afterwards told me I scored very highly, but couldn't give me my score. :smug: "

I know a guy who's like 5'11/300 pounds/not athletic at all, and is joining the Air Force as an air traffic controller. Don't people like that (assuming they pass the fitness test at the beginning of basic) just hold everyone back at BMQ? I mean, poo poo, I've been training pretty intensely for the last couple of months to get ready for my Basic in the summer and I'm still worried about being able to do all the PT on top of everything else. This dude acts like since he meets the laughably low minimum fitness standards he'll be able to breeze by any of the physical parts and then sit on a chair telling airplanes what to do.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

And it makes it so that everyone takes it is all like "The guy afterwards told me I scored very highly, but couldn't give me my score. :smug: "

I know a guy who's like 5'11/300 pounds/not athletic at all, and is joining the Air Force as an air traffic controller. Don't people like that (assuming they pass the fitness test at the beginning of basic) just hold everyone back at BMQ? I mean, poo poo, I've been training pretty intensely for the last couple of months to get ready for my Basic in the summer and I'm still worried about being able to do all the PT on top of everything else. This dude acts like since he meets the laughably low minimum fitness standards he'll be able to breeze by any of the physical parts and then sit on a chair telling airplanes what to do.

He will most likely go to fat camp, unless he cant do the minimum of the minimum, and he will get sent home. Basic PT isnt really that hard. I know people who didn't run a mile before basic and passed. The longest run you will do is 5-6km, and its a slow run with stops to do push ups and other fun stuff.

Longsaddle
Feb 2, 2006

"So I lied, I cheated, I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would."
/

Longsaddle fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 5, 2023

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Nephirim posted:

An the aptitude test is sinfully easy.

This is true AND, you don't have to score very high to get virtually any job. I was looking at the occupation assignment worksheet today (available on the DND intranet if anyone's so inclined).

The bulk of the trades require a 40th percentile score on the CFAT, and by bulk I mean virtually all. Some are lower, mostly combat arms, and cook is the lowest (20th percentile).

The highest required percentile score is for AEC (air traffic control officer) and it's 60th percentile. There are some qualifying factors that I don't understand, but the next time someone gets uppity about qualifying for his trade, well, more than likely so did you. I'm sure individual scores play into competition for positions, if there is any, but the CFAT is, well, I know how dumbasses get in now.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Wow, I didn't realize that about the aptitude test. A fellow infantry guy I know had to retake the test because his first score was so low all he was eligible for was cook...

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

compressioncut posted:

The highest required percentile score is for AEC (air traffic control officer) and it's 60th percentile.

There is nothing higher than the 40th percentile. I looked at the list no more than three weeks ago in my BPSO meeting.

Mr.48 posted:

Tent city loving rules. The amount of cleaning is minimal relative to shacks. Just drape a mosquito net over your bed and you're good to go!
I helped build that shithole. gently caress Tent City.

MA-Horus posted:

Whaaaaat? You didn't know that? Ask a Senior NCO. Commonwealth artillery doesn't have to salute the queen's portrait when entering a mess as the Royal Artillery is the Queen's regiment. I don't know if that applies to mortars because they are not really artillery.
I'm saying that I've never heard of/seen anyone salute the queen's picture, ever.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is nothing higher than the 40th percentile. I looked at the list no more than three weeks ago in my BPSO meeting.

Well, I looked at the form at DMIL-C yesterday. There are hundreds of superseded forms out there, and who knows which one is right, but AEC was/is 60th.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I'm saying that I've never heard of/seen anyone salute the queen's picture, ever.

If there is a mess with the queen's portrait right across from the entryway (There's a SNCO mess in Owen Sound that does), All other regiments must salute before entering. Artillery does not.

And I agree. gently caress tent city. Yes, less cleaning, but more anal retentive cleaning. They always find SOMETHING to make you clean, even if it's "Take steel wool to your canteen cup and KFS to make them gleaaam" "But Sergeant they took our KFS away years ago" "I DON'T CARE CLEAN IT ANYWAYS"

I hate Meaford. So Much.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Wow being on a Navy base seems so much more relaxed

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

MA-Horus posted:

I hate Meaford. So Much.

Ha. Who said anything about Meaford? They're running 11 CAP/BMOQ-L serials out of Gagetown this summer, and guess where all the lucky candidates are living? Bwahahaha. :suicide:

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Simkin posted:

Just finished up CAP, which was capped off (ha) by a final Coy sized offensive op. The buildup was good, and the Coy OC is a loving badass, who could lead and inspire pretty much anyone to do anything. We had live fire (C6s) going about 10m overhead (it felt like less than 5m at the time, though), with big fuckoff demo charges going off to our flanks, and we assaulted the enemy position at first light. I'm sure that being absolutely sleep-hosed from the week made it even better than it actually was, but still... Killed the one op-for my section was tasked with, using a C9 fired from the hip while running into position.

Now, PAT Pl for 5 weeks while I wait on DP1.1. I have heard literally nothing positive about this course - other than the fact that at some point it ends. Wheeeeeee!

Who was the Coy OC for your course? It wasn't... crap I can't remember his name. He's an RCR captain?

Also, Just about to finish my degree and go on dp 1.2 Mechanized Platoon commander. Should be fun.

Oh yeah, I'm meeting everyone that was in Fifteen Days for some reason. Segaent May taught one of my courses. Capt Hamilton as well, i met Captain Schmoon? (I'm horrible with names) here at RMC and LCol Hope is one of my Profs.

As for CAP, it's not run just out of Gagetown it's all over the east coast

Elgar fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 24, 2010

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Simkin posted:

Ha. Who said anything about Meaford?

Nobody. I just felt like saying that I hate Meaford. Because I really, really, really hate Meaford.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Elgar posted:

Who was the Coy OC for your course?

No, it was a British Major - bit of a philosophical divide between the Brit and Canadian officer mindset, it would appear.

Just found out that in lieu of being put on course for DP1.1 this summer (since all the spots are taken by dirty reservists and RMC kiddies), we get (well, six of the Inf. 2LTs that just finished CAP) the opportunity to be part of JTFn.

I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of being to Meaford, but I'm assuming if it's worse than Gagetown, it must be spectacularly awful.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Simkin posted:

No, it was a British Major - bit of a philosophical divide between the Brit and Canadian officer mindset, it would appear.

Just found out that in lieu of being put on course for DP1.1 this summer (since all the spots are taken by dirty reservists and RMC kiddies), we get (well, six of the Inf. 2LTs that just finished CAP) the opportunity to be part of JTFn.

I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of being to Meaford, but I'm assuming if it's worse than Gagetown, it must be spectacularly awful.

Right right, I was thinking of the Officer of Training. Did you have the Scot or has it changed again? We had a Scot for our Coy OC he always brought his dalmatian around.

Also, I'm one of those RMC kiddies, you guys have the advantage of actually getting a commission.

On DP 1.1 you guys will have an Aussie OC he's hard as nails. If you can get the fall course. Also, buy the Dismounted Platoon Comd Aide memoire. Go over it every once in while to familiarize yourself with order and order procedure.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Meaford is the worst place in the world. It will make you hate life. I had the pleasure of spending 6 months there, never again. Some people said St Jean sucked, it makes St Jean look like a 5 star hotel compared to that place.

MA-Horus posted:

Nobody. I just felt like saying that I hate Meaford. Because I really, really, really hate Meaford.

You missed a few reallies, add about 100 more and it might equal to how much it sucks.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Simkin posted:

Meaford is one of my least favorite bases but it does have a couple of significant advantages over Gagetown:

1) Its a 2.5 hour drive away from Toronto so at least on the weekends you wont feel like you live in prison

2) The mess, shacks and most of the important base facilities are actually right next to each other so you wont waste hours every day just walking from place to place. You dont need a car or bike to get around at all.

The only two really lovely things about meaford are the weather which is probably the most upredictable thing in Canada and that the ground is really rocky so if you have to dig trenches it will consist of whole days of pickaxe work.

So if you aren't going to be doing a lot of digging or sleeping in the field Meaford is actually pretty cushy compared to Gagetown.

Although if they make you do runs up and down the Hog's Back you will hate Meaford more than anything else on this earth for the next little while after that.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Elgar posted:

On DP 1.1 you guys will have an Aussie OC he's hard as nails. If you can get the fall course. Also, buy the Dismounted Platoon Comd Aide memoire. Go over it every once in while to familiarize yourself with order and order procedure.

It's still the Scotsman, although I never saw any dog.

The commission is ... well, at this point, since we're the lowest ranking (or at least in the eyes of the CTC) infantry on course in Gagetown ... a bit meaningless. We get treated just slightly above no-hook privates, and some of the people who were commissioned in December still haven't had their pay updated to 2Lt.

Wrt to the aide-memoire, I've seen a few copies of it going around the shacks, and will probably pick up the high-speed operators (read: waterproof) version for some reading over the summer.

Anyone have any info regarding a tasking with JTFN? We're pretty much in the dark on it, other than being told how long we'll be up there.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Simkin posted:

The commission is ... well, at this point, since we're the lowest ranking (or at least in the eyes of the CTC) infantry on course in Gagetown ... a bit meaningless. We get treated just slightly above no-hook privates, and some of the people who were commissioned in December still haven't had their pay updated to 2Lt.

Wrt to the aide-memoire, I've seen a few copies of it going around the shacks, and will probably pick up the high-speed operators (read: waterproof) version for some reading over the summer.

Anyone have any info regarding a tasking with JTFN? We're pretty much in the dark on it, other than being told how long we'll be up there.

Yeah he carried his dog around with him in the field, it was a whiny bitch.

Oh I know the commission means poo poo for now, but you get the pay, and if the pay hasn't been updated yet you guys will still get back pay. Think of it as forced savings.

The water proofing is a god send as we had the goddamn wettest summer last year in the past 50 years. Which sucked balls. All the pages get stuck together still, and if they rub against each other the writing wears off. Half my pages are blank now. Plus the cover of it isn't that water proof. They only cost about $27 but are worth it for reference, if you don't get the waterproofed ones you just wasted your money because they will get wet as you will always carry it with you. I know it sounds lame but go over writing orders a few times, because the 40 minutes it saves you when you're writing them for 4 or so hours on patrol week means you get that much more rack time.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Simkin posted:

Some guys from my platoon rolled into Gagetown yesterday they probably stand out

Speaking of which were you in L20 at cflrs? I'm wondering if you had the same staff as me

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Ugh..Meaford. How I LOATHED hearing that name when I get told where I'm going for a course, FTX (Up yours Petawawa Fire Index!), or for any reason whatsoever. The only saving grace is that everything there is in short walking distance and the food wasn't that bad.

I wish I had been on the Drivers course the year before I did mine, they had so many people they were super relaxed. Mine was dubbed 'Airborne Driver Wheel' for the amount of PT they had us do. And why the hell did they send people who didn't even have a full drivers license on the course? They're expected to be taught how to drive LS and MLs in a couple months when they can't even be trusted to drive their own cars without supervision?

Hmm..at least the weather was always usually nice when I was there. Guess the Weather Machine was down for maintenance, no waking up with snow on the ground and only summer kit on me.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The Amputee House posted:

Some guys from my platoon rolled into Gagetown yesterday they probably stand out

Speaking of which were you in L20 at cflrs? I'm wondering if you had the same staff as me

Yeah, I've seen a few new faces around - they're like lost little puppy dogs for the first week or two. I was in L12/L0021E at CFLRS, so probably had different staff.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
This is my buddy testing the waterproofing on his tank.
This is his "I'm gonna get yelled at." look. He has this picture framed.

edit: Woo Gagetown. How are you enjoying the party town of Oromocto & Fredericton?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crane fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 26, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Man, I knew some of the swamps around here were deep, but that's a little ridiculous.

Also, I love New Brunswick in general, and specifically Oromocto. They're the best parts of Cana.... gently caress, even in writing I can't fake it. This province is a loving hole, and Oromocto is at the bottom of that hole. :suicide:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Ugh..Meaford. How I LOATHED hearing that name when I get told where I'm going for a course, FTX (Up yours Petawawa Fire Index!), or for any reason whatsoever. The only saving grace is that everything there is in short walking distance and the food wasn't that bad.

I wish I had been on the Drivers course the year before I did mine, they had so many people they were super relaxed. Mine was dubbed 'Airborne Driver Wheel' for the amount of PT they had us do. And why the hell did they send people who didn't even have a full drivers license on the course? They're expected to be taught how to drive LS and MLs in a couple months when they can't even be trusted to drive their own cars without supervision?

Hmm..at least the weather was always usually nice when I was there. Guess the Weather Machine was down for maintenance, no waking up with snow on the ground and only summer kit on me.

OH MY GOD

I think we were on the same loving course. Did you get a shirt at the end that said something among the lines of "KM driven=500, KM Ran=550"

This would have been summer 2003.

And yeah gently caress those cocksucking instructors for log PT, and 3 hours of rack when doing driving training. I fell asleep at the wheel more than once, after my instructor racked the gently caress out too. I think a few of those instructors got charged with reckless endangerment afterwards.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Simkin posted:

Man, I knew some of the swamps around here were deep, but that's a little ridiculous.

Also, I love New Brunswick in general, and specifically Oromocto. They're the best parts of Cana.... gently caress, even in writing I can't fake it. This province is a loving hole, and Oromocto is at the bottom of that hole. :suicide:

Hey Fredericton is pretty nice. All the townies are used to Army dudes though. :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Elgar posted:

Hey Fredericton is pretty nice. All the townies are used to Army dudes though. :(

You know the rule. If the girl you pick up promises to have you back to the shacks in time for PT, run the gently caress away.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

You know the rule. If the girl you pick up promises to have you back to the shacks in time for PT, run the gently caress away.

This is when I'd buy her another drink or call a cab, not run away.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

Elgar posted:

Yeah, it's not horrible. Its just that, for the Capital of a Province, it's not as entertaining as I hoped. At least if one of the University kids picks a fight they're more likely to give you the pinwheel arms than a knife or something stupid.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Pffft in Gagetown theres no need to even leave the shacks for pussy of that quality level....Thats what shackrats are for! D-Line shacks ghetto represent.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Pffft in Gagetown theres no need to even leave the shacks for pussy of that quality level....Thats what shackrats are for! D-Line shacks ghetto represent.

I had to tell a girl last night that I was deeply sorry, but her 17 year old sister that was doing DP1 arty this summer was going to be hosed by at least 5 different dudes. No exceptions.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I had to tell a girl last night that I was deeply sorry, but her 17 year old sister that was doing DP1 arty this summer was going to be hosed by at least 5 different dudes. No exceptions.

Actually in Gagetown all the females are now quartered in the cushy new hotel style shacks. I'm talking 2-person rooms with individual bathrooms, showers and microwaves.

The shackrats in the D-lines were civilian skanks that slept with soldiers in exchange for being allowed to live secretly in the shacks. And now I feel bad for calling them skanks because they were all probably homeless. Still, the homeless shelters in Fredricton cant be that bad right? Right?

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 27, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Somehow this principle seems like it would be hard to transfer over to the H-lines. :smith:

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Simkin posted:

Somehow this principle seems like it would be hard to transfer over to the H-lines. :smith:

Yeah, with one female for every hundred or so guys. Wooooh :smith:

Elgar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 27, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Any statistics on what the suicide rate is on PAT? Two weeks in, and morale is pretty loving low among the troops. The prospect of sitting around and getting paid to do gently caress all sounded good on paper, but in practice is just the most boring thing ever. :emo:

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
What are your work hours? Maybe you can get attached to a course? Hell you could be a course officer for a CAP platoon if you aren't doing anything. Or any NCM course as all you do is paperwork anyway, plus it'd give you some good experience. Have you asked about it?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Unfortunately, as we're only just finished CAP, we're not qualified to lead any sort of combat arms platoon. We do put in memos and requests for taskings, but they're kind of in short supply, seeing as there are no infantry NCM courses (well, below DP3A) run out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Really? Because all you need on CAP is basically CAP. As the again the NCMs do all the training anyway, the only point where officers actually teach you anything is on DP 1.1. Or other actual officer courses. Our platoon commander only did CAP and his SIGs course and it's not like that gave him any more experience. have you asked by chance? Or heaven forbid you could run a BMOQ, BMQ platoon or something in St Jean. That way you can get running courses out of the way and it'd be less boring then PAT.
Also DP 1 is run in gagetown, which is basic infantry stuff for privates.