Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

tarzanspuma posted:

Good, I don't want you wearing out that front parking tire.

Fixed for SuperMotard.

And Zen, are Alpina still going? there were rumours of them shutting down not so long ago, not helped with their website disappearing.

We've had two solid weeks of sunshine here and it is rapidly killing my rear Avon PXR. I got a set after dropping the bike in the downpours last year (Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsas not so good in the wet) and this year it's been nothing but inexplicable, burning April sunshine. :mad:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Well god loving drat it then. I WANT fuel injection. I loving want it. I don't want to have to gently caress with a carb.

Guess I'll have to save some cash up and just sit on craigslist watching for a DRZ with a flatside already installed.

I guess I should explain my situation: I live in downtown Portland, in a building with a shared parking garage that doesn't allow vehicle maintenance. That said, they let me bring my GSXR up into my apartment to replace my ignition cylinder so my plan was to get a WR250X since they are small as hell and just push it into the maintenance elevator and up to my apartment each night. I would also be doing maintenance in my apartment. Ahhh, the joys of not being married anymore.

EDIT: Also, I am not interested in doing a bunch aftermarket stuff to it. I'd prefer just to slap a pipe and set of bars on one and call it a day.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 20, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Well god loving drat it then. I WANT fuel injection. I loving want it. I don't want to have to gently caress with a carb.

Guess I'll have to save some cash up and just sit on craigslist watching for a DRZ with a flatside already installed.

I guess I should explain my situation: I live in downtown Portland, in a building with a shared parking garage that doesn't allow vehicle maintenance. That said, they let me bring my GSXR up into my apartment to replace my ignition cylinder so my plan was to get a WR250X since they are small as hell and just push it into the maintenance elevator and up to my apartment each night. I would also be doing maintenance in my apartment. Ahhh, the joys of not being married anymore.

EDIT: Also, I am not interested in doing a bunch aftermarket stuff to it. I'd prefer just to slap a pipe and set of bars on one and call it a day.

Psst... I'm selling a DRZ in Seattle that fits this bill. :tipshat:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

Supermotojunkie classifieds, Motostrano, thumpertalk classifieds and store.
Don't forget:
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/index.shtml

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fixed for SuperMotard.

And Zen, are Alpina still going? there were rumours of them shutting down not so long ago, not helped with their website disappearing.

We've had two solid weeks of sunshine here and it is rapidly killing my rear Avon PXR. I got a set after dropping the bike in the downpours last year (Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsas not so good in the wet) and this year it's been nothing but inexplicable, burning April sunshine. :mad:

I have no idea, but as much as I love the idea of a 2000$ set of rims on a 2000$ bike, I'm just gonna eventually unlace and powdercoat my rims. Probably when I swap back to dirt at some point.

Honestly, if you're buying it from someone who had it set up properly, you shouldn't ever have to touch the carb. Buy Spiffness's bike...I was going to do a fly and ride for a drat DRZ, haha. If you can fit your gsxr in the elevator, you can easily fit any dirt bike.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Psst... I'm selling a DRZ in Seattle that fits this bill. :tipshat:

Where's the ad for it?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Where's the ad for it?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1690790405.html

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Test ride video didn't involve wheelieing it at every possibility. Would not recommend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

Test ride video didn't involve wheelieing it at every possibility. Would not recommend.

Seriously, what a loving boring rear end ride. The bike's not that impressive unless you're doing stupid poo poo all the time. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Trust me, I was very tempted to get stupid. But thats what 'related videos' is for.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I had my first race on Sunday, unfortunately the camera only recorded during the practice session :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalBJPkKUMo

We ended up racing the full arena cross course, but I only took one lap in practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcqVm7QGTIY

Maybe I broke it when I highsided, but don't tell Spiffness.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 21, 2010

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
If my bike sells this weekend I might have to drive up and take a look at it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I had my first race on Sunday, unfortunately the camera only recorded during the practice session :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalBJPkKUMo

Maybe I broke it when I highsided, but don't tell Spiffness.

drat that looks like fun. Nice improvement on the dirt since last time you posted video too. And that track is beat to poo poo, drat.

Which highside aren't we telling him about now?

In other forms of supermoto hooliganery, we have a very, VERY rude lady splashing some helpless kids just trying to play by the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaVcMMzmI6E

So rude!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Z3n posted:

In other forms of supermoto hooliganery, we have a very, VERY rude lady splashing some helpless kids just trying to play by the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaVcMMzmI6E

So rude!

What. :colbert: They looked a bit too happy, got to calm those suckers down.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Anyone seen this?
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1459/project-ducati-hypermotard-part-1.aspx

I assume so, but I don't have search so sorry if is repeat.

Kind of interesting. I don't understand their rational for why taking a sport bike and trying to make it more dirt like is better than taking a dirt bike and making it more streety, but hey- it's interesting if nothing else. Seems more of a naked hooligan conversion than a supermotard/hypermoto conversion to me though.

edit: They claim the whole " louder is safer thing" .. which I don't buy into, but otherwise- neato.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 21, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Anyone seen this?
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1459/project-ducati-hypermotard-part-1.aspx

I assume so, but I don't have search so sorry if is repeat.

Kind of interesting. I don't understand their rational for why taking a sport bike and trying to make it more dirt like is better than taking a dirt bike and making it more streety, but hey- it's interesting if nothing else. Seems more of a naked hooligan conversion than a supermotard/hypermoto conversion to me though.

edit: They claim the whole " louder is safer thing" .. which I don't buy into, but otherwise- neato.

That's the most loving :downs: project ever.

"Hey guys, we put a factory exhaust and some factory catalog CF bits on our bike!" :downs:

If you're going to have a project, wouldn't you, uhh, do something besides order factory parts for it? Jesus. Make, fabricate, do freaking something besides spend money on ducati accessories. Anything. Goddamn.

They're also going to be really depressed if they ever put their super light duc on a real scale.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Z3n posted:

That's the most loving :downs: project ever.

"Hey guys, we put a factory exhaust and some factory catalog CF bits on our bike!" :downs:

If you're going to have a project, wouldn't you, uhh, do something besides order factory parts for it? Jesus. Make, fabricate, do freaking something besides spend money on ducati accessories. Anything. Goddamn.

They're also going to be really depressed if they ever put their super light duc on a real scale.

At the expense of sounding like I'm defending them, it is only part 1. Maybe part 2 is where they take off the factory poo poo, put some long travel poo poo on it, you know, maybe ....

Yeah, I think you're right.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

At the expense of sounding like I'm defending them, it is only part 1. Maybe part 2 is where they take off the factory poo poo, put some long travel poo poo on it, you know, maybe ....

Yeah, I think you're right.

Not ripping on you or anything there. Just super disappointed, after they spend 2 pages talking about how badass a bike, blah blah blah, I expected something totally insane, on the lines of the crazy multistrada project. I was let down bad, that's all :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's pretty cool how they took a dream... opened up the Ducati accessories catalog, and just ordered everything.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Spiffness posted:

It's pretty cool how they took a dream... opened up the Ducati accessories catalog, and just ordered everything.

I guess following their lead then, I can "hypermotard" out the K bike. I can find some old BMW crash bars for it, and maybe the K75T tupperware. Then pay the BMW dealership to put that poo poo on, and call it a project?

eh eh? Sounds like a ween-ar to me.

edit: K75R? the gently caress is that. Make that a K75T

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 21, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

I guess following their lead then, I can "hypermotard" out the K bike. I can find some old BMW crash bars for it, and maybe the K75R tupperware. Then pay the BMW dealership to put that poo poo on, and call it a project?

eh eh? Sounds like a ween-ar to me.

Nah dude, that's too much custom work. No one knows if that's going to fit, the only way to be safe is order all official BMW parts directly from the catalog.

Spiffness posted:

It'd be cool if they did it with a bike that was actually kind of worthwhile to upgrade...like putting a WSBK spec engine in a streetfighter.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

PadreScout posted:

At the expense of sounding like I'm defending them, it is only part 1. Maybe part 2 is where they take off the factory poo poo, put some long travel poo poo on it, you know, maybe .... Yeah, I think you're right.

quote:

With our bike looking cool, in the next edition of Project Ducati Hypermotard, we will do some more tuning to up our power with some more warranty friendly Ducati Performance bits. Until next time!

Noooope.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
hey guys, I totally cruisered-out this sport bike.

The project went together really smoothly. Only cost me 16k. http://powersports.honda.com/2009/dn-01.aspx

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

hey guys, I totally cruisered-out this sport bike Scooter.

The project went together really smoothly. I got it up to 60 HP, and it only cost me 16k. http://powersports.honda.com/2009/dn-01.aspx
Harley HP. Harley Ergos. Harley Pricetag. Automatic CVT Transmission (Holy redundant redundancy, Batman!).
Trades being mistaken for a BRABRABRABRA-Fag for being mistaken for an actual homosexual.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 22, 2010

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Finally getting the DRZ out of storage. I've only ridden it once this season so it will be nice to have it at my house. (I have a feeling the speed triple is going to start getting lonely)

Over the winter I installed a edge tail light. Now, the stock blinkers want to move a lot and I can't get them tight. Any ideas? I've seen some people move the blinkers back closer to the middle of the bike but it won't work on mine because that's where my exhaust bolts up to.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jabs posted:

Harley HP. Harley Ergos. Harley Pricetag. Automatic CVT Transmission (Holy redundant redundancy, Batman!).
Trades being mistaken for a BRABRABRABRA-Fag for being mistaken for an actual homosexual.

I think the DN-01 is kind of cool as a market hybrid experiment, but $16k is ridiculous. It should be half that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

cmorrow001 posted:

Over the winter I installed a edge tail light. Now, the stock blinkers want to move a lot and I can't get them tight. Any ideas? I've seen some people move the blinkers back closer to the middle of the bike but it won't work on mine because that's where my exhaust bolts up to.

Do what I do and forget all about it.

Also, poor bikes going into storage for the winter... I'm happy I don't have to do such a thing.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

cmorrow001 posted:

Finally getting the DRZ out of storage. I've only ridden it once this season so it will be nice to have it at my house. (I have a feeling the speed triple is going to start getting lonely)

Why not just get the LED blinkers to go with it? I just picked up an Edge 2 since my old setup had me getting pulled over all the time and I'm just going to mount the blinkers on the side of the tail light.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=72&offset=10#2445

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Turns out my battery is shot anyway. 2 batteries in 3 years. This sucks. I think I'll either install a kick start or upgrade to a nicer battery.

Grrrrr. If I didn't love this bike so much, it would have been gone a long time ago.

EDIT: I'd be down for new blinkers but I'm really broke right now, especially since I'm going to be buying a new battery.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Turns out my battery is shot anyway. 2 batteries in 3 years. This sucks. I think I'll either install a kick start or upgrade to a nicer battery.

Grrrrr. If I didn't love this bike so much, it would have been gone a long time ago.

EDIT: I'd be down for new blinkers but I'm really broke right now, especially since I'm going to be buying a new battery.

Are you not putting your batteries on the trickle charger or something? Even the lovely batteries usually last at least 2-3 years.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I just had a guy over to check out Spiffness's DRZ since he's out of town. I told him the Husky is the best bike I've ever ridden, then did lot's of wheelies on the KTM when I showed him around for a test ride. Probably not the best sales strategy, but I'm not making commission. Everyone who comes over to check out the DRZ leaves wanting a 690SMC.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Well i had enough of the DRZ on the freeway every day with numb nuts and hands.
And i severely wanted a 690SMC... until i did some research.
Quite a few engines have blown up with relatively sedate riding, and a guy has had his 5th fuel pump failure... ok i think ill wait a few more years on the 690s.

But then i just found a steal of a BMW x-challenge.
I cannot believe im buying a BMW, being a KTM fanboy for so long and dissing BMW riders, im becoming one.
But then again, ive always wanted to drink a coffee while riding with the BMW coffee cup holder accessory.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jharkov posted:

And I severely wanted a 690SMC... until i did some research.
Quite a few engines have blown up with relatively sedate riding, and a guy has had his 5th fuel pump failure... ok i think ill wait a few more years on the 690s.

As a 690SMC owner I keep up to date on appropriate forums, and I have not really seen a significant amount of total engine failures (no more than industry average). The issues that seem to plague the 690s are stalling and snatchy throttle, which is fixed by proper mapping and the required adjustments by a competant mechanic. In fact, competant mechanics seem to be the real issue with the 690, there just aren't very many. KTM changed a lot with the new LC4 and many shops haven't caught up on their training it seems.

As an ex-service engineer I can tell you that if a part fails 5 times (and doesn't have a high rate of failure otherwise) it is almost categorically not the part, it is another associated part, abuse or the mechanic at fault. No-one seems to teach proper diagnostic theory these days :(

As for mine, well it is almost bone stock and the only issues I have had are with the cam-chain tensioner, which seems a little sensetive to proper warming-up of the engine.

If the engine was that much of a grenade they wouldn't be tuning the balls off it and sticking it in endurance races like the dakar.

Sorry if this sounds a little ranty but there has been a lot of people putting the design at fault on other forums when it seems to be mostly the service side. KTM need to get their house in order on the service side, not development.

TL:DR; Don't be afraid of buying a 690 if you have faith in your dealer to set-up and service it right.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

Are you not putting your batteries on the trickle charger or something? Even the lovely batteries usually last at least 2-3 years.

I leave it i a heated basement for the winter. I don't usually keep the charger on it all winter, I just charge it up in the spring. Am I hurting the life of my batteries by doing this? I had charged it up last week and went riding and it was already dead when I checked it last week.

Also, is it possible that my electrical system is causing the problem? Maybe I need to use the guide on TT to verify everything is working correctly. (the problem being I know 0 about electrical stuff)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/627031/charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

I leave it i a heated basement for the winter. I don't usually keep the charger on it all winter, I just charge it up in the spring. Am I hurting the life of my batteries by doing this? I had charged it up last week and went riding and it was already dead when I checked it last week.

Also, is it possible that my electrical system is causing the problem? Maybe I need to use the guide on TT to verify everything is working correctly. (the problem being I know 0 about electrical stuff)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/627031/charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod

Yup. Batteries are best when they're topped up and shallowly discharged regularly. The battery is designed to start the engine and then get charged back up to full. Get a trickle charger.

And it's possible that your R/R is hosed and blowing out batteries, but I doubt it. The check is really easy, just get access to the battery, turn the bike on, rev it to ~5k, and check the DC voltage at the terminals. It should read ~14v (manual spec is 13.5 to 15). If it doesn't, you've got a problem somewhere.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Jharkov posted:

But then i just found a steal of a BMW x-challenge.
I cannot believe im buying a BMW, being a KTM fanboy for so long and dissing BMW riders, im becoming one.

Welcome to the dark side. Shall I forward you along some reflective tape?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yup. Batteries are best when they're topped up and shallowly discharged regularly. The battery is designed to start the engine and then get charged back up to full. Get a trickle charger.

And it's possible that your R/R is hosed and blowing out batteries, but I doubt it. The check is really easy, just get access to the battery, turn the bike on, rev it to ~5k, and check the DC voltage at the terminals. It should read ~14v (manual spec is 13.5 to 15). If it doesn't, you've got a problem somewhere.

Thanks for the info. I do have a trickle charger but I don't run it all winter, maybe I should start cycling it over next winter.

Also, I'm glad checking the voltage is so easy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Thanks for the info. I do have a trickle charger but I don't run it all winter, maybe I should start cycling it over next winter.

Also, I'm glad checking the voltage is so easy.

Well, I could have made a 35 step walk through ala the ninja 250 wiki, but I prefer to just...you know, tell you how to do it ;)

Also, why do I always wheelie best in the mornings? It makes no sense, but for some reason I can always rock these beautiful BP second gear clutchups when I'm still groggy in the mornings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably because you're groggy and not overthinking it. My best wheelies are the ones I'm not really intending to do. When I set out to do one usually its crap.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
its obviously the 0.000000000000000000000000001 more hp from lower intake temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Well, I could have made a 35 step walk through ala the ninja 250 wiki, but I prefer to just...you know, tell you how to do it ;)

Also, why do I always wheelie best in the mornings? It makes no sense, but for some reason I can always rock these beautiful BP second gear clutchups when I'm still groggy in the mornings.

That's really interesting, because I'm the opposite. I do my best wheelies after I do a bunch of coke.

• Locked thread