Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lilac1 posted:

Recommended if you feel that conventional stealth/fps games have too few DoTs, I guess. Also, bonus for hilarious voice acting.

How many FPS/RPG hybrids are there

Outside those made by Looking Glass/Ion Storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

vtm:bloodlines
and that might be it!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fag Boy Jim posted:

vtm:bloodlines
and that might be it!

Clive Barker's Undying was pretty sweet, though it had no variation to the story at all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fuzz posted:

Clive Barker's Undying was pretty sweet, though it had no variation to the story at all.
It didn't have stealth. At least, I don't remember it having any...

FPS/Rpg hybrids are a diem a dozen since the 2000s. It's the stealth component that's rare.

Edit - Oh wait, the guy didn't mention stealth in that post. Well, we can assume he meant to include it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 24, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Xander77 posted:

FPS/Rpg hybrids are a diem a dozen since the 2000s. It's the stealth component that's rare.

CyberMage: Darklight Awakening was also a loving GREAT one... but I think I'm the only person to have ever played it or something.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Not just stealth, but a really immersive plot and tightly designed levels with a focus on lots of alternatives. Bethesda's games are good, but not like Deus Ex at all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lilac1 posted:

I don't even know what this means. Jagged alliance 2 had infinitely superior mechanics compared to the first, which pretty much was one good idea marred by the execution.

So, nice try, I guess?

It means you're calling Deus Ex unoriginal when it pretty much single-handedly revolutionised FPSes.

You are basically saying "hey unlike JA2 and X-Com Deus Ex is totally unoriginal!" because games that came after it adopted gameplay elements and ideas first introduced in Deus Ex.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Angry Diplomat posted:

I love active defense way too much to take the spy drone instead. Upgrading that thing to level 2 or 3 will protect you really, really well from just about every explosive weapon you'll ever have used against you, and bringing it up to level 4 turns fights against heavy bots and MJ12 commandos into hilarious suicide-fests.

Active defense is really really great at level four. I always thought spy-drone was much too slow to be fun, but I should probably give it a try during my 'destroy all comms on earth' playthrough.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

CyberMage: Darklight Awakening was also a loving GREAT one... but I think I'm the only person to have ever played it or something.
I believe a few of the people who worked on that were eventually absorbed into Looking Glass/Irrational (e.g. Harvey Smith).

I seriously think these FPS/RPG hybrids are built by a core group of only a few dozen industry people (unless you expand the definition to include STALKER and the Bethesda games). I wish I had the chops and team to make one, or the money to contract the development of one.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ansob. posted:

It means you're calling Deus Ex unoriginal when it pretty much single-handedly revolutionised FPSes.

You are basically saying "hey unlike JA2 and X-Com Deus Ex is totally unoriginal!" because games that came after it adopted gameplay elements and ideas first introduced in Deus Ex.

This reminds me of people who didn't see Seinfeld during its time watching episodes of it and going "This was revolutionary? Every show does this."

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Male Man posted:

Can you get any of the cheats to work? Try something simple like "ghost" or "fly" (use "walk" to disable these). If you can't get them to function, try enabling cheats manually with the command "Set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled True". Watch the upper left corner of the screen. If you did it right, nothing should appear here. If you did it wrong, some message will appear.
Protip:
If you're going to manually turn cheats on instead of using the -haxor switch, you can type significantly less than that: "Set Human bcheatsenabled true"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So is there a cheat code that removes an installed aug?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've got the steam version running with DX10, DXfix, Shifter, and Biomod, and I could have sworn that I read that one of those mods would give me the option to turn individual HUD element on and off. But now that I look for those options I can't find them.

Since I'm using a plasma screen, I'd like to turn off the stack of yellow augs that will be omnipresent thanks to Biomod.

I didn't make this option up in my head, did I?

EDIT: Found it in the key binding menu. Reckon Shifter added it.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 25, 2010

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Pebbler posted:

she will do her conversation about going to the police station

and then the second time you talk to her she will give the normal diolague

I just want to drop the first body in front of the second one before the conversation starts. I carried Lebedev for a while before I accidentally left him outside Paul's apartment.

Xander77 posted:

She tells you that the very first time you meet her.

She says she's ex-UNATCO, not that she still works for them in any capacity

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's realms of the haunting which is pretty decent other than the horribly complex and annoying puzzles that are really hard to do in a 2.5d engine.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Xander77 posted:

I just replayed it, and couldn't find that moment (I'm pretty I would have remembered it, at that)

Well there's a datacube somewhere in the game that tells you that. For some reason I am remembering the tutorial level having datacubes with the profiles of a number of UNATCO characters including Anna's.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

Well there's a datacube somewhere in the game that tells you that. For some reason I am remembering the tutorial level having datacubes with the profiles of a number of UNATCO characters including Anna's.
I think there might be a secret room you can find via a switch along the wall in the room with all the holograms.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

I think there might be a secret room you can find via a switch along the wall in the room with all the holograms.

There is but as I recall it just lets you have a holophone conversation with Page.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Wait what. I don't think I remember this.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fuzz posted:

Wait what. I don't think I remember this.

Go replay the tutorial. Jaime shows up on a communicator and congratulates you on finding the room. Nothing major, but nevertheless interesting.

Incidentally, the same room existing in The Nameless Mod's tutorial, but instead some NPC shows up and chides you for thinking you're clever.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I played the tute last night and there is no mention of mossad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Amethyst posted:

I played the tute last night and there is no mention of mossad.

I thought I remember there being datacubes with character profiles on them in the areas where that character is introduced as your teacher for that section. It has been a while since I've played the tutorial though, so I'm looking for my discs so I can check that out.

OMG JC
Jul 30, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

So is there a cheat code that removes an installed aug?

Unfortunately, no. However, you could try using the command summon (or spawnmass) augmentationcannister. It'll spawn an aug can with two random augmentations in it, so you'll have to keep spawning them till you get the ones you want.

mp5 posted:

She says she's ex-UNATCO, not that she still works for them in any capacity

There's a blurb in the Prima strategy guide that says she's a UNATCO snitch, but I can't recall if it's mentioned in game or not.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's Strife, a 1996 Doom engine game that's a precursor to Deus Ex in many ways. You explore a big open environment with both friendly and hostile NPCs, and you can talk to some of them to get quests and information. It's abandonware now, so you can download it from Abandonia. If you want to play it in a source port like GZDoom, just pull STRIFE1.WAD and VOICES.WAD out of the downloaded archive.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Does Bioshock count?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Is it just me, or is the pepper spray overpowered in shifter? It basically allows you to stealth kill people without being stealthy, from 10 feet away. Plus ammo for it is everywhere. I've been using it as my main weapon for indoor levels, combined with the unique blackjack. I've never even needed the assault rifle or shotgun.

EDIT: Deus Ex wasn't the first FPS/RPG but it was the only one that really got the linear/narrative mix exactly right. Others are either perfectly linear cutscene fests or dull sandboxes. In Deus Ex, you can do a lot of things in whatever order and have a narrative that makes sense. For instance, yesterday I beat the new york segment without going to the bar once. I had no idea you could do that.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 25, 2010

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

does the STALKER series count? the first two are pretty linier but COP is really fun and has a lot more RPG elements

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just beat Deus Ex for the 6th or 7th time, completing my annual playthrough I've done every year since I first played it.

I love how every ending fits perfectly into the established narrative, with no clearly-defined "good" or "evil" ending.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

What the hell? I just launched the game and every voice and sound effect sounds like it's been run through the darth vader voice filter. Anyone seen this?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well, I beat Deus Ex again.

I didn't get the famous "oh my god JC, a bomb!" scene. I think I did something wrong. :ohdear:

So is there a mod that makes Invisible War not suck yet?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Forcing yourself to pretend it's not a Deus Ex game. If you do that it's a little bit above mediocre!

I can't believe I played through it 3 times on the Xbox.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

I would be happy with anything that stopped armoured Templars from exploding when they ragdoll. Well, maybe that and replacing the drone augs with something useful and taking regeneration out of the eye slot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Now I'm feeling really bad that the mac version of Deus Ex is so ultra-dead in terms of running on a mac released in the past 5 years or so.

I don't want to buy it again, but I might just end up doing that someday.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I also really like the music. I like that late 90s techno blend crap. How do I turn the UMX files into something I can throw on my music player of choice? I haven't done much Unreal engine stuff lately.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wdarkk posted:

Now I'm feeling really bad that the mac version of Deus Ex is so ultra-dead in terms of running on a mac released in the past 5 years or so.

I don't want to buy it again, but I might just end up doing that someday.
There is a cider port floating around somewhere :ssh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

I also really like the music. I like that late 90s techno blend crap. How do I turn the UMX files into something I can throw on my music player of choice? I haven't done much Unreal engine stuff lately.
The soundtrack came with the GotY edition Steam is licensed for, right? You might be within your rights to just download a rip.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Borderlands is decent, though it's not exactly similar it has a lot of RPG elements.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Akumos posted:

Borderlands is decent
Maybe if you enjoy lightly banging your head against big iron things.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Amethyst posted:

What the hell? I just launched the game and every voice and sound effect sounds like it's been run through the darth vader voice filter. Anyone seen this?

Yeah. I fixed it by going into the DeusEx.ini (Located: \deus ex\System) and doing a search for Latency=

Change that value to 60 or whatever, if you're using Shifter. Should fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mudlark posted:

Yeah. I fixed it by going into the DeusEx.ini (Located: \deus ex\System) and doing a search for Latency=

Change that value to 60 or whatever, if you're using Shifter. Should fix it.

Thanks!