Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Overwined posted:

I'm thinking that someone should make a new MoO 1/2 thread now that both of these games are available commercially for the first time in forever. I would like to suggest "MoO 1&2: Oh no! my planetz!" as a thread title.

If there's enough interest I'll throw something together.

Jimlad posted:

I agree! I've just been playing MoO2 and wow, it holds up way better than I expected. I actually think I understand more of it too, since back when I was a kid some of the stuff like morale and how production was calculated went a bit over my head. I still don't get how to do the battle sections properly though, like how to tell if my ships are in range, or why 5x missiles might be better/worse than 20x missiles. Anyone got any tips?

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is this the right time to rant about how each individual HOMM game costs $10 but M&M 1-6 all together costs $10? Seriously, I really want to get some HOMM games off of GoG but there's no way in hell I'm doing it for $10 a pop, that's absurd. I'm just going to assume that Ubisoft is to blame for this.
Like Squiggle said, just get HoMM3. That game alone will eat all your free time for months to come.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
What's the best video mode to run Blood in? DirectDraw? Also, what resolution are most of you running it at in game? Is anyone using the mouselook feature? It feels kind of weird, like my up/down speeds are way too fast, but side to side is okay. I'm on XP still if that makes a difference.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I have a pretty boss machine that can run Just Cause 2 and Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 at the highest settings, why does Sacred Gold like to chug along like a retarded train at the highest settings?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

get out posted:

What's the best video mode to run Blood in? DirectDraw? Also, what resolution are most of you running it at in game? Is anyone using the mouselook feature? It feels kind of weird, like my up/down speeds are way too fast, but side to side is okay. I'm on XP still if that makes a difference.

Overlay is usually the smoothest output for any given resoultion. DirectDraw and OpenGL are sometimes faster for some games but end up having resolution problems or fuzzy graphics.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Entorwellian posted:

Overlay is usually the smoothest output for any given resoultion. DirectDraw and OpenGL are sometimes faster for some games but end up having resolution problems or fuzzy graphics.

Are there any source ports for Blood? Sorry if I missed the discussion but the thread had over 1.5k new posts since I last looked at it :v: I just installed it and ran it and well, it looks like Blood alright but it sure looked better on my 15" CRT back in the day than it does now on my 22" LCD :(

I googled a bit and all I could really find were total conversions for other things and people bitching about Atari not releasing the Blood source code so they could make source ports. Most of this is from like 2005 though so :iiam:

If anyone has any tips on making it "look better" I'd greatly appreciate it. Churnin' up the resolution to 1280x1024 makes it look better but also it runs kinda terrible no thanks to DOSbox.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

get out posted:

Is anyone using the mouselook feature? It feels kind of weird, like my up/down speeds are way too fast, but side to side is okay. I'm on XP still if that makes a difference.
Some guy on the GOG forums has been working on a program called bMouse which fixes this problem. It supports Redneck Rampage, Blood, Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D. Download it here.

abraxas posted:

I googled a bit and all I could really find were total conversions for other things and people bitching about Atari not releasing the Blood source code so they could make source ports. Most of this is from like 2005 though so :iiam:
They're still begging and bitching to this day.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 24, 2010

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

How essential would you say playing the original Myst is in order to play Riven? I watched a few Let's Play videos of Riven, and now I really want to play it.

How much would my experience of playing Riven be hampered by not playing Myst?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Vastakaiun posted:

How essential would you say playing the original Myst is in order to play Riven? I watched a few Let's Play videos of Riven, and now I really want to play it.

How much would my experience of playing Riven be hampered by not playing Myst?

It's not essential at all. All you need to know is that you found the Myst book in the real world and got transported to Myst island with no way off, Atrus is a guy who writes linking books, and his family is full of assholes.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

sethsez posted:

It's not essential at all. All you need to know is that you found the Myst book in the real world and got transported to Myst island with no way off, Atrus is a guy who writes linking books, and his family is full of assholes.

Alright, so the stuff I already learned from the videos. Thanks. Going to play Myst after this, if I do enjoy it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Vastakaiun posted:

Alright, so the stuff I already learned from the videos. Thanks. Going to play Myst after this, if I do enjoy it.
I recently wanted to get into the series as well and bought both Myst and Riven from GoG. Myst took me only a day to get through, even without a guide, so you might just want to start from the beginning. It's still a great experience if/once you get into the whole still-screen-puzzle-business.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I accidentally got unsubscribed from this thread somehow and missed a lot of the discussion.

I've now beat MOO1 & MOO2 on average difficulty, but don't feel up to playing them in hard again these days. There are a bunch of modern space empire games, of which I really like GalCiv 2 as a MOO2-style game (with planet build queues), but are there any like MOO1 with simplified sliders?

Vastakaiun posted:

I was going to buy the Master of Orion pack, and was looking around to see anything else worth buying, when all of a sudden... "Holy poo poo Settlers 2 is in here!?"

My favourite game for the longest time growing up. I love this service. :3:
You owe it to yourself to find a copy of the Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary Edition.

Woebin posted:

No one can predict what those insane aliens will do next.

I've never played Inferno, but it's got a pretty rad soundtrack by Alien Sex Fiend. I've always wanted to play it since I heard that, would love if GOG get it.

HellBender was awesome, too.
Yes, I have the game! Came in a sweet metal tin. I think it was the very first game to have CD-audio even.

drat, never played Fury3, and never heard of HellBender.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I pretty much strolled through myst but have found Riven much harder fyi. I regret using a FAQ in a moment of weakness though.

In MOO2, I'm pleased to see how effective charismatic is; I've pretty much cruised to victory twice on hard mode through its use. My point is the game is not like master of magic where diplomacy is a total waste of time once you get past the easier difficulty levels. That's a plus in my book.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Big Sean posted:

I pretty much strolled through myst but have found Riven much harder fyi. I regret using a FAQ in a moment of weakness though.

If it was for the infamous (spoiled for identity of puzzle) fire marbles puzzle then there is no shame in that - that one is completely loving ridiculous.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

I've now beat MOO1 & MOO2 on average difficulty, but don't feel up to playing them in hard again these days. There are a bunch of modern space empire games, of which I really like GalCiv 2 as a MOO2-style game (with planet build queues), but are there any like MOO1 with simplified sliders?

Sword of the Stars is the game you want. There are literally 2 sliders per planet. The strategic game is turn-based with real-time battles. It takes elements from each MOO game like fixed races and simple planet management from 1, the research is a hybrid of 1 and 2, and from 3 it gets real-time battles and 3D map (and nothing else thank god).

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
^^^^ Yeah it was that puzzle. I could have guessed that the sounds were connected to the pictures, I think, but actually matching them to those stupid poorly drawn animals... I think If I had spent enough time on it I would have realized that the solutions are creatures you actually come in contact with (mostly), and therefore might have gotten it. Of course, even if you know that, there are still multiple figures that look like frogs or fish. Not the riven devs finest hour...

Anyhow thanks for making me feel better about not getting that, maybe I'll go back and finish it now.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Big Sean posted:

^^^^ Yeah it was that puzzle. I could have guessed that the sounds were connected to the pictures, I think, but actually matching them to those stupid poorly drawn animals... I think If I had spent enough time on it I would have realized that the solutions are creatures you actually come in contact with (mostly), and therefore might have gotten it. Of course, even if you know that, there are still multiple figures that look like frogs or fish. Not the riven devs finest hour...

Anyhow thanks for making me feel better about not getting that, maybe I'll go back and finish it now.

That wasn't actually the one I meant (though that one is pretty bad as well). Just as a future warning, when you get to a point where you have to place marbles onto a huuuuge grid it's okay to run to the internet for assistance.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Well I guess this is as good a place as any to ask:

Anything I should know before playing Fallout 1? Critical fixs/mods ect.

I just finished FO2 doing a mostly speech/no combat run so I'm pretty familiar with all the game mechanics. I realize everyone says play FO1 fist blah blah but I already owned both in a double jewel case and figured I play 2 because people say it's better. I didn't really anticipate loving it so much that I would go back and also play the first.

Obviously I kind of got the gist of the plot already from pieces in FO2 so are there any kind of builds that would be interesting? I was kind of disappointed that my doctor/speech/science didn't get more use outside of speech, although it was pretty fun trying to survive as a pussy scientist until I could amass a hoard of friends.

And for anyone who doesn't have it, buy this game. FO3 was great, but the world of FO2 just felt so much more hostile/shithole. Specifically if you run your smart mouth, try to butt in like an angel, or save everyone you're hosed.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Science is pretty much useless, along with 1/4 of the other skills.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Small Guns, Lockpick, and Speech generally serve me well.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Weedle posted:

Small Guns, Lockpick, and Speech generally serve me well.

Alternatively Small Guns (mandatory I'd say), First Aid or Doctor and Speech or Barter. Money can be tighter than in Fallout 2. Also, prepare to be dismayed by the minor changes they did to the Fallout 2 interface that are missing from the Fallout 1 version. It's not huge, but it was enough for me to never really manage to replay Fallout 1 after finishing the second game a few times, even though I played Fallout 1 first.. Of course, I might just be sensitive/asinine about that sort of thing and it won't bother you at all :)

It's a shame too, because in many aspects Fallout 1 is better than its successor.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

rt4 posted:

when I first played the game I always thought Science's use was to fix the broken computers in other vaults; spent so much time trying to access some kind of hidden stuff on those things

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

rt4 posted:

This is completely untrue in Fallout 1. Both Science and Repair are used to avoid a fair few conflicts by accessing computer systems or turrets.

Anyway, Speech is always worth tagging unless you really like turn-based combat. You'll also want to tag at least one weapon skills so you can actually fight at the beginning (usually small guns, mêlée or unarmed). You don't really need to tag a second weapon skill since by the time you start using energy weapons/big guns you should be high enough levels that you've had plenty of points to put into them.

You can just tag whatever you want for the last skill depending on which direction you want to take your character; the game isn't exactly hard or complicated.

Also, Gifted is broken (just like it is in every Fallout game).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Did anyone ever figure out how to get Outcast to take up the whole screen? I can live with the 512x384 resolution, but having it in a tiny frame in the middle of the screen is really irksome.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

Captain Beans posted:

Well I guess this is as good a place as any to ask:

I just finished FO2 doing a mostly speech/no combat run so I'm pretty familiar with all the game mechanics. I realize everyone says play FO1 fist blah blah but I already owned both in a double jewel case and figured I play 2 because people say it's better. I didn't really anticipate loving it so much that I would go back and also play the first.

Obviously I kind of got the gist of the plot already from pieces in FO2 so are there any kind of builds that would be interesting? I was kind of disappointed that my doctor/speech/science didn't get more use outside of speech, although it was pretty fun trying to survive as a pussy scientist until I could amass a hoard of friends.

And for anyone who doesn't have it, buy this game. FO3 was great, but the world of FO2 just felt so much more hostile/shithole. Specifically if you run your smart mouth, try to butt in like an angel, or save everyone you're hosed.

One thing to know is that there's more combat in Fallout 1, generally a bit harder than in Fallout 2 and the companions are much less useful. Small guns alone probably won't get you through the game and melee / hand-to-hand are nigh useless. Sooner or later you'll want to take something with more punch.

Also the game is much shorter, so keep in mind that you won't be allowed to level up as much. Stuff like Speech or Lockpick are still very useful, but you'll definitely want to focus on combat skills more than in Fallout 2.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

abraxas posted:

Are there any source ports for Blood? Sorry if I missed the discussion but the thread had over 1.5k new posts since I last looked at it :v: I just installed it and ran it and well, it looks like Blood alright but it sure looked better on my 15" CRT back in the day than it does now on my 22" LCD :(

If anyone has any tips on making it "look better" I'd greatly appreciate it. Churnin' up the resolution to 1280x1024 makes it look better but also it runs kinda terrible no thanks to DOSbox.

There's still no Source Code available, so either Atari doesn't want to release it or it simply got lost. Don't get your hopes up for any changes in that direction. :smith:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Repair or science are used in the first Fallout to get you power armor of which I think is the only chance you can get it. I do know that science can get you quite a bit of xp simply by checking computers in each vault.

Weedle posted:

Did anyone ever figure out how to get Outcast to take up the whole screen? I can live with the 512x384 resolution, but having it in a tiny frame in the middle of the screen is really irksome.

The game runs automatically in full screen for me but I can't change the resolution so it looks like blowing up a Nintendo DS game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Captain Beans posted:

Even more than in FO2, do not give your flunkies automatic weapons

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

signalnoise posted:

Even more than in FO2, do not give your flunkies automatic weapons

Seriously, in fact don't even try to keep them alive. There's a very specific point in the game where, every single time, my party always dies because they just can't keep up with power armor and plasma guns. If I recall, it was the random stop in the desert on the way to the military base where you get mercked on by a party of mutants

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

CaudaVenenus posted:

Small guns alone probably won't get you through the game and melee / hand-to-hand are nigh useless.

Small guns alone is all you need for both Fallout 1 AND Fallout 2 unless you actually want to fight the last 2 bosses in Fallout 1. Otherwise you can beat them without firing a shot but you need to do some VERY specific things to do it. And if you do some very specific things in Fallout 2 you can get some allies and turrets to kill the last boss. No input on your part required.

All you really need for both games are: Small guns, repair, lockpick, steal, and speech.

The only mod you may need for Fallout 2 from GOG is Killapps unofficial patch to fix the encounter rate. The encounter rate and map speed are tied to processor speed so if you have a fast processor you move like lightning and have more fights. The map speed is fixed in the GOG version so you need to configure the .ini file so the encounter rate is fixed and the map speed isn't agonizingly slow.

Also, if you don't use the patch. Take the ddraw.dll file from a Fallout 1 install and make a copy in your Fallout 2 folder so you won't have funky colors. *Although you can fix the colors by alt+tabbing)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OptimusShr posted:

Small guns alone is all you need for both Fallout 1 AND Fallout 2 unless you actually want to fight the last 2 bosses in Fallout 1. Otherwise you can beat them without firing a shot but you need to do some VERY specific things to do it. And if you do some very specific things in Fallout 2 you can get some allies and turrets to kill the last boss. No input on your part required.

All you really need for both games are: Small guns, repair, lockpick, steal, and speech.

The only mod you may need for Fallout 2 from GOG is Killapps unofficial patch to fix the encounter rate. The encounter rate and map speed are tied to processor speed so if you have a fast processor you move like lightning and have more fights. The map speed is fixed in the GOG version so you need to configure the .ini file so the encounter rate is fixed and the map speed isn't agonizingly slow.

Also, if you don't use the patch. Take the ddraw.dll file from a Fallout 1 install and make a copy in your Fallout 2 folder so you won't have funky colors. *Although you can fix the colors by alt+tabbing)

Fallout 2's final boss is a little more difficult. The rear end in a top hat will target you 99% of the time and the turrets + help + allies can only do so much against his super power armor and 999hp. The guy was hitting me for 60-120hp of damage per shot and I was in loving enclave power armor. I beat him only through luck by spamming healing and he turned his attention one or two times to attack the turrets. I was playing a wimpy speech guy so if you build your dude for combat he shouldn't be that hard. The 30 tries paid off with the best 2D death animation in the world.

The unskippable intro dungeon and the unskippable final boss are Fallout 2's only flaws.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Healbot posted:

There's still no Source Code available, so either Atari doesn't want to release it or it simply got lost. Don't get your hopes up for any changes in that direction. :smith:
And even if it were released tomorrow, we'd be looking at a year minimum before we saw something playable & fun.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

CaudaVenenus posted:

One thing to know is that there's more combat in Fallout 1, generally a bit harder than in Fallout 2 and the companions are much less useful. Small guns alone probably won't get you through the game and melee / hand-to-hand are nigh useless. Sooner or later you'll want to take something with more punch.

Also the game is much shorter, so keep in mind that you won't be allowed to level up as much. Stuff like Speech or Lockpick are still very useful, but you'll definitely want to focus on combat skills more than in Fallout 2.

So full of lies.

1) Power Fist. Runs off of energy cells, which are limited, but 1-shots a lot of enemies.
2) Deathclaws. Camp that one area (yea, you know the one) and you can level up to 21 at a decent pace. You'll also die a hell of a lot at first though.

Lots of time spent playing FO1/3. Still haven't finished FO2 because I always try to get into it after an FO1 run and get bored shortly after finding 2-3 towns.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Healbot posted:

The code isn't lost. One of the original coders has it. However, he kind of doesn't want to risk his career by releasing it without Atari's approval.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

OptimusShr posted:

That build only works if you already know what to expect in which area and build your character accordingly. He's doing a first playthrough, repair and steal won't do him much good against the deathclaws.

Andrigaar posted:

So full of lies.

1) Power Fist. Runs off of energy cells, which are limited, but 1-shots a lot of enemies.
2) Deathclaws. Camp that one area (yea, you know the one) and you can level up to 21 at a decent pace. You'll also die a hell of a lot at first though.

Lots of time spent playing FO1/3. Still haven't finished FO2 because I always try to get into it after an FO1 run and get bored shortly after finding 2-3 towns.

You only get the Power Fist fairly late and hand-to-hand is way underpowered without it, contrary to Fallout 2. Going for Small Guns only will make the mutant strongholds later in the game huge pains in the rear end. Additionally spending a few hours camping deathclaws only to grind up levels is probably not what he's looking forward to in his first playthrough, and if you don't grind but still do everything else, you'll probably finish the game around level 15, which is much lower than Fallout 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would say Fallout 2 has more combat because there are several unskippable battles. The temple being one, if you hang out in Gecko's reactor then you have to deal with enclave soldiers, and the final area off the top of my head. My first playthrough of Fallout was a speech guy and I made it through the game just fine. Getting that handgun-rifle (forgot the name) will allow you to do damage that's pretty close to the plasma rifles.

If you go melee you can get the super-sledge pretty early. It's all over after that point.

satin666
Jun 7, 2006

Here's a rar someone put together with six patches you should apply after installing Fallout 1.

http://mediafire.com/file/zoxd0zeymtr/The_Ultimate_Fallout_Installation.rar

quote:

Run the game and enjoy it in all of its patched glory, WITH KILLABLE KIDS (not that I ever kill them, but the option is here), with better NPC interaction (armors, levelling..), with tweaks like mousewheel in the inventory etc, in higher resolution...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

CaudaVenenus posted:

You only get the Power Fist fairly late and hand-to-hand is way underpowered without it, contrary to Fallout 2. Going for Small Guns only will make the mutant strongholds later in the game huge pains in the rear end. Additionally spending a few hours camping deathclaws only to grind up levels is probably not what he's looking forward to in his first playthrough, and if you don't grind but still do everything else, you'll probably finish the game around level 15, which is much lower than Fallout 2.

Still doesn't make hand-to-hand nigh useless, which is all I was saying. Early on it's fairly handy with just brass knuckles until you start finding lots of raiders with ammo. It's then useless shortly after when everyone starts one to two shotting you at close range when the guns you find pointed at you steeply grow in power.

Small guns isn't of any use after about 1/2-2/3rds of the game either, but most people ignore this and use it as a starting skill because of how long it takes to find any decent energy or big guns.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

So full of lies.

I'm of the opposite mind. I just can't get into Fallout 1 the same way I could 2. It's not like I hated 1, but 2 just feels a lot more polished and fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

evilmiera posted:

I'm of the opposite mind. I just can't get into Fallout 1 the same way I could 2. It's not like I hated 1, but 2 just feels a lot more polished and fluid.

Oh, it's nothing to do with that. It's that I've played FO1 into the dirt so many times and memorized so much that I get lost in FO2, die a bunch, can't find a companion quick enough, and then realize I'm basically playing the same game as FO1 in a lot of ways. Then, rather than tough it out, I end up playing a different game to stop bitching and forget to return to FO2 and have to start over again...

The giant ants and scorpions compare me to Hitler and Stalin I've killed so many of just them, and them alone... :sigh:

EDIT: One major problem with Freespace2 open source: I'm replaying FS1 since it's been 4-5 years, but it's cranked to 11 via the FS1->FS2 mod, and running at 1840x1024. Which sounds like a good idea until you realize the 2nd non-training mission is a pixel hunt. I may use a TV as a monitor (physically bigger pixels), but looking for a triangle of white pixels took a very long time against a higher resolution starscape of slightly less bright off-white pixels :cry:

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 25, 2010