Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Lower the volume on your bass. Increase the volume on your amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Scarf posted:

Lower the volume on your bass. Increase the volume on your amp.

I usually have the volume on my bass at 3/4 and when I need an extra boost I'll crank it up to full. I'll give this a shot next time we practice.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I r Pat posted:

I usually have the volume on my bass at 3/4 and when I need an extra boost I'll crank it up to full. I'll give this a shot next time we practice.

Oh then that's probably not it if you already have it rolled back some.

See if there's a trim-pot on the bass's preamp for the output.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Yeah, if the battery seems ok, you are probably overdriving the preamp on your bass.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Scarf posted:

Oh then that's probably not it if you already have it rolled back some.

See if there's a trim-pot on the bass's preamp for the output.

I have no idea what a trim-pot is, your going to have to fill me in.

I have been testing it though, if the volume knob is at full then it will distort. If it is anywhere below half it will not.. so I've narrowed it down to that.

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.

STACK OVERFLOW posted:

My acoustic bass is one of this variety. It does exactly what you need easily. It's a 32" scale, which works fine, but I don't know if you were looking for a full 34" scale.

For strings, have the basses you've been playing had acoustic strings? I personally can't stand the tone from an acoustic bass with electric strings. I see a lot of this in stores and it makes me cry on the inside. Acoustic strings are the way to go, methinks.

What do you (or anybody else) think of the Takamine EG512C? There's one possibly available used near me, and the 34" scale would be preferable to me. Reviews seem favourable but that's not necessarily a good indicator. Anyone have any experience?

(For the record I know this is sort of a niche request, I'm just starting to think that by buying used I'll have a better chance to firstly save some money, but more importantly the bass will probably be strung with something decent if it's actually been owned and used, and I might be able to tell its real-world sound a bit better.)

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a bass that i'm going to sell and I want to find out how much I should charge / expect to get.

It's a 1987 Gibson Thunderbird Custom Shop. There isn't anything particularly custom about it apart from the stamp on the headstock as far as I can tell. It's in fairly good condition considering it's age, a few chips and dents but nothing serious. Like many thunderbirds it's age, it suffered from a headstock break that was expertly repaired, it also has a small crack in the bridge that has affected the action.

I paid £700 for it 5 years ago, should I expect a decent return on that now?

Apologies for the poor photo but I'm at work so this one from when I first bought it will have to do for now:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cross-posting from the gear trade thread:

Scarf posted:

For Sale/Trade: EHX Micro POG, $150 shipped to the CONUS.

I'm switching things up on my board a bit. Absolutely nothing wrong with this pedal, in great, but used condition. Velcro on the back, but I can remove it if you wish. I'm just looking for a differently voiced octaver these days.

Therefore, only trade I'm really interested in would be an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, but hit me with any other trades and I'll consider them.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Gents, I'm looking for some thick fuzz on my bass, and would like a pedal that also sounds good on my guitar. While I'd love to get a zVex Wooly Mammoth, it's a bit out of my price range. I'd like to get away with spending under $200.
I'm considering the Swollen Pickle (which I know is a guitar pedal, but is supposed to be decent for bass) and the Dwarfcraft Hair of The Dog. I'd really like to avoid EHX, if possible.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.

STACK OVERFLOW posted:

For strings, have the basses you've been playing had acoustic strings? I personally can't stand the tone from an acoustic bass with electric strings. I see a lot of this in stores and it makes me cry on the inside. Acoustic strings are the way to go, methinks.

Hate to go back to this, but now that I'm looking for acoustic strings I'm having a hell of a time finding anything I like. Every store around me seems to only carry D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Roundwounds, which I really don't care for. Do acoustic flatwounds exist? I just don't want the bright tone I'm getting right now, but if putting electric strings on it isn't a good idea then what options do I have?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Crouton posted:

Hate to go back to this, but now that I'm looking for acoustic strings I'm having a hell of a time finding anything I like. Every store around me seems to only carry D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Roundwounds, which I really don't care for. Do acoustic flatwounds exist? I just don't want the bright tone I'm getting right now, but if putting electric strings on it isn't a good idea then what options do I have?

You pretty much NEED the zingy-ness of the roundwounds in order to be heard w/ an acoustic electric. I don't know of anyone who makes a flatwound acoustic bass string.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Acoustic bass strings are pretty seldom sold, so stores don't carry much of a stock. I go with those D'Addario and they work fine for me, but I agree, I don't get as bright of a tone as I'd wish for me.

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Right, a plan; let me put on my slightly larger glasses.
Here's a question. A local guitar store where I try to shop (esp. because of a good trade-in value for my current bass) has a really custom 4 string that I was looking at.

I wanted to post the specs here and see if you guys can tell me if it's an extremely horrible deal (I played it in the store and it seems really nice. I messed around on it for a good 30 minutes or so and liked it a lot, but I'm also a novice).

I'll write down as much here as I am able to glean from my hastily scribbled notes from today:

handmade mahogany body ('51 P-bass style)
'51 single-coil P-Bass pickup (I don't know the brand)
Badass Bridge II
ebony fret board
bloodwood neck
Schaller tuners

$700 asking price.

I realize I don't have brand info for a lot of that stuff (from what I understood, the neck and body come from this local luthier), so I don't know if I can expect to get any helpful pointers about it, but does any of that look amiss right away?

Rev4n fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 24, 2010

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a bass that i'm going to sell and I want to find out how much I should charge / expect to get.

It's a 1987 Gibson Thunderbird Custom Shop. There isn't anything particularly custom about it apart from the stamp on the headstock as far as I can tell. It's in fairly good condition considering it's age, a few chips and dents but nothing serious. Like many thunderbirds it's age, it suffered from a headstock break that was expertly repaired, it also has a small crack in the bridge that has affected the action.

I paid £700 for it 5 years ago, should I expect a decent return on that now?

Apologies for the poor photo but I'm at work so this one from when I first bought it will have to do for now:

Anyone?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Rev4n posted:

Here's a question. A local guitar store where I try to shop (esp. because of a good trade-in value for my current bass) has a really custom 4 string that I was looking at.

I wanted to post the specs here and see if you guys can tell me if it's an extremely horrible deal (I played it in the store and it seems really nice. I messed around on it for a good 30 minutes or so and liked it a lot, but I'm also a novice).

I'll write down as much here as I am able to glean from my hastily scribbled notes from today:

Badass Bridge II
ebony fret board
bloodwood neck
Schaller tuners

$700 asking price.

I realize I don't have brand info for a lot of that stuff (from what I understood, the neck and body come from this local luthier), so I don't know if I can expect to get any helpful pointers about it, but does any of that look amiss right away?
The parts come out to about $700, not factoring in paint and assembly, and the price is about the same as a Fender reissue. Do you like how it plays and sounds? Are you ok that if you decide to sell it in the future it will be hard to sell/you won't get much?

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

DrChu posted:

The parts come out to about $700, not factoring in paint and assembly, and the price is about the same as a Fender reissue. Do you like how it plays and sounds? Are you ok that if you decide to sell it in the future it will be hard to sell/you won't get much?

Awesome... I liked the way it played and sounded in the store, and yeah as far as reselling, I'm not too concerned because he has a policy that you can return any instrument you bought from him for 100% store credit towards something else he sells, even years afterwards (that's actually what I'm doing to pay for a good chunk of it, trading in my old bass I bought from him).

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006

Scarf posted:

You pretty much NEED the zingy-ness of the roundwounds in order to be heard w/ an acoustic electric. I don't know of anyone who makes a flatwound acoustic bass string.

Yeah, well I guess I'm stuck with them. I just don't like to hear the zing so much as the underlying note, not to mention I prefer the feel on the fingers, but this'll have to do for now. Maybe next time I buy some decent flatwounds for my electric I can put them on the acoustic electric first just to see if it works, but I'm not expecting much. Thanks, everybody.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Crouton posted:

Yeah, well I guess I'm stuck with them. I just don't like to hear the zing so much as the underlying note, not to mention I prefer the feel on the fingers, but this'll have to do for now. Maybe next time I buy some decent flatwounds for my electric I can put them on the acoustic electric first just to see if it works, but I'm not expecting much. Thanks, everybody.

Well the overtones do die out after a while as the strings age and get worn in.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm still fussing with how soon to change strings before recording. I have studio time in two weeks (woo!) and figure I'll wait until a week before, it's like superstition to me. Leave too little time and the strings won't be stretched, and too much and they'll dull. I like 'em as twangy as possible.

This whole post is pretty irrelevant, I'm just excited to finally record again! :banjo:

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Rev4n posted:

Badass Bridge II
ebony fret board
bloodwood neck
Schaller tuners

$700 asking price.

Followup... I ended up getting it! The neck was made by Warmoth Custom Guitars and the body was from USA Custom Guitars.

Pics:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rev4n posted:

Followup... I ended up getting it! The neck was made by Warmoth Custom Guitars and the body was from USA Custom Guitars.

Pics:

That's pretty good/on par for a warmoth build.

Enjoy it! And if it were me, I'd replace the single-coil w/ a Darkstar and maybe another one closer to the bridge. But that'd be pumping about another $500 into it..

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Rev4n posted:

Pics:

Very nice and a good deal on a Warmoth! I paid a bit more for mine, but man... building on from scratch would cost you (and me) nearly double the amount in parts alone!

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Warmoth has solid stuff. I had a (lined) fretless neck made for a Signature Jazz bass copy body and the neck turned out great. fun bass...

Anyway.

Just ordered a SX P-bass. I need something cheap to beat on cause I don't like playing my 78 Jazz at shows.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

That's a very nice looking bass, I love the look of natural wood finishes, especially walnut. You should totally rock a Black-White-Black pickguard on that, though (IMHO of course, because I just don't like white pickguards)!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is there any way to date my P-bass? Someone told me it was a reissue. It looks pretty old and it was made in Japan. It's not a huge deal I was just curious about what year it was made. I can post the serial number later if that helps.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Is there any way to date my P-bass? Someone told me it was a reissue. It looks pretty old and it was made in Japan. It's not a huge deal I was just curious about what year it was made. I can post the serial number later if that helps.

The serial number will be the easiest way.

IronyGuy6669
Apr 22, 2010
I was considering getting the Electro Harmonix Clone Theory chorus pedal (The one Peter Hook of New Order uses). Does anyone here have any experience with it?

beefclaws
Jul 3, 2008

Stupid poorly-cropped Flanders...
I just nabbed a used MIM Fender Deluxe Active J Bass off of eBay for only $499, and I am pumped as gently caress. I tried one of these at a store recently and I was absolutely amazed by how bright and punchy it was.

My first upgrade will be to the bridge. So, is the Badass II pretty much the way to go? People in this thread seem to like it and I've heard nothing but good things elsewhere on the internet.

I also want to add a chrome pickup cover to it like Fender put on their basses back in the sixties. I was thinking about adding the bridge cover too, but then I realized, "how the gently caress am I supposed to palm mute?"

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

beefclaws posted:

new bass!

Man, I used to have the biggest boner in the world for the Badass bridge. I have one on my Geddy Lee jazz, and it is totally okay. I have all kinds of other basses with whatever bridge they come with, and they are also totally okay. All of the things that the Badass bridge claims to "fix" are not in my opinion worth the high price they command. There are other bridges that are just as nice by Gotoh and Schaller that cost way less if you have a hankerin' to change a bridge.

So far, my favorite bridge is whatever comes on the bass. The regular old Fender bridge works just fine.

As far as ashtrays go, it's more of a personal preference thing. If you like the way they look, have at it! Keep in mind, a bridge cover will not fit over a Badass bridge.

My suggestions for blinging out your bass are new strings and a good setup first and foremost. Play the hell out of it! If everything is working fine, continue playing the hell out of it! While a fancy new bridge certainly does make the statement that you put a fancy new bridge on your bass, it is not really necessary.

Other folks may totally disagree!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This is gonna be a very newbie question, but I'm just starting out on bass and I'm wondering if there's any consensus on how one should be finger picking. I saw something online that said I should be alternating thumb/ring/middle/index over and over for anything I play. I've seen other people alternate between index and middle for the most part. I've seen some people anchor their thumb on the pickup, others not.

I'm coming from playing guitar for 8 years with a pick, where your options are alternate/economy/sweep/legato/hybrid. Very straight-forward and easy to know what applications require what. With bass I have no idea what I'm doing, or what the variations of finger picking are and when I should be doing what. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

codyclarke posted:

This is gonna be a very newbie question, but I'm just starting out on bass and I'm wondering if there's any consensus on how one should be finger picking. I saw something online that said I should be alternating thumb/ring/middle/index over and over for anything I play. I've seen other people alternate between index and middle for the most part. I've seen some people anchor their thumb on the pickup, others not.

I'm coming from playing guitar for 8 years with a pick, where your options are alternate/economy/sweep/legato/hybrid. Very straight-forward and easy to know what applications require what. With bass I have no idea what I'm doing, or what the variations of finger picking are and when I should be doing what. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Typically you're going to want to stick with alternating between index and middle when you're just starting out. But as you get to more complex basslines that tend to skip strings and jump around a lot, you'll find yourself having to hit a string with the same finger(s) in rapid succession. So get comfortable with alternating because it's incredibly useful, but it's not set in stone.

As for what to do with your thumb, you can either anchor it or not. It just depends on what you're more comfortable with. Personally, I prefer to float my thumb. I find it much more useful and allows me to move around faster and mute strings much easier.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.

betterinsodapop posted:

Gents, I'm looking for some thick fuzz on my bass, and would like a pedal that also sounds good on my guitar. While I'd love to get a zVex Wooly Mammoth, it's a bit out of my price range. I'd like to get away with spending under $200.
I'm considering the Swollen Pickle (which I know is a guitar pedal, but is supposed to be decent for bass) and the Dwarfcraft Hair of The Dog. I'd really like to avoid EHX, if possible.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I got a Mastotron for this reason and I'm absolutely loving it. It's like roomshaking and about 150 dollars. Also has a switch that swaps between caps, so you can Kinda Sorta dial in how much low end you want. Maybe your local indie shop has one you can try out?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

codyclarke posted:

From guitar it won't be too bad to pick up bass. Just play along with some tracks you like, especially ones with a cool rhythm arrangement. Focus on timing. Just use two fingers for now. Maybe later you'll find situations where it would be advantageous to pluck with a ring finger (fancy arpeggio) but bread and butter bassists do it with two fingers. Or just play with a pick; playing with a pick gives better attack and clarity but you lose the low down smooth.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Colin Ex Machina posted:

I got a Mastotron for this reason and I'm absolutely loving it. It's like roomshaking and about 150 dollars. Also has a switch that swaps between caps, so you can Kinda Sorta dial in how much low end you want. Maybe your local indie shop has one you can try out?
Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for: almost like a cheaper version of a Wooly Mammoth. I shouldn't have trouble finding one (NYC.)

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.
So I picked up a "Peavey Century 120 Bass Series" head for cheap and I know nothing about it other than that it works, sounds good and is probably from the late '70s. Google wasn't very helpful when I searched for it, so I thought I'd ask here. Anyone know anything about this head? Is it terrible (I doubt this, because it sounded pretty decent and is clearly built like a rock)? Is it worth anything to the "vintage" crowd? Wattage? etc.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I don't know too much about it, but I do have an old Peavey Firebass 700 head that I bought at a pawn shop about 6 years ago. That thing is a tank for sure. Peavey may not have the coolest stuff, but the head I got is built strong and sounds great. so if it works and sounds good, then that's all that matters. gently caress the vintage crowd.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Ok so my DiMarzio Model Js came in the mail and I was gonna figure out how to get these things installed when I realized my bass could probably use a setup, I'm not sure if it's had one ever; not to mention it could use a new set of strings. I'm gonna start talking to a couple local music stores about getting a setup, what would be a fair price for a setup + adding pickups? I don't want to get taken or anything, a couple of these places have reputations for overcharging.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey guys - if you're playing a bassline with palm muting, would you use some special fingerstyle technique or just grab a pick?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

baka kaba posted:

Hey guys - if you're playing a bassline with palm muting, would you use some special fingerstyle technique or just grab a pick?

I tend to use my thumb but depending on the tone you're going for a pick might be more suitable. If it's reggae stuff though definitely thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

baka kaba posted:

I normally use both my thumb and index when palm muting. Most of the time I'll be using my thumb only for my E-A-D strings and index for G but it really depends on what feels most comfortable at the time.