Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

International I can get around, I can forward her phone to a europeean one pretty easily I think with Sprint. What is the discount like for companies? It will be through University of Minnesota. I checked their website but it isn't working right now.

You get a drat good discount. 23% and all activation fees waived. Here's the code: GUVHA_UOM_ZZZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Country/Provider: Japan/au

Current Contract Status: 2 year contract, good through July

Budget: not an issue

Feature: Android

Japan is like the Galapagos Islands when it comes to phones. Android models are just coming out now.

-au has some "smartbook" ~5" clamshell microPC target at bloggers, don't know its telephone capabilities. It runs v1.6 of Android. http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20100330_kddi_android_is01/
-Docomo has the X10, but the little coverage I have seen on it doesn't seem impressive.
-Softbank will be getting the HTC Desire at the end of this month.

Considering my 3 options, what would you guys recommend? There is also a possibility that some new models will be out in the summer, but I will be traveling, so making a switch would be more complicated.

Get the HTC Desire. It's one of the best Android devices out there right now. The X10 cannot physically support multitouch and SE is too lazy to update Android. The X10 was king poo poo when it was announced 6 months ago but now, Android has leaped far past the X10. The Desire will be supported by HTC for at least another year I'd bet and there's a great aftermarket community for any HTC device.

tzirean posted:

Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon.

Current contract status:
I don't know, offhand. I know it's a family plan and that I've been eligible for a New Every 2 for a few months, now.

Budget (phone/plan):
I can probably make a one-time phone payment work at any price. I can't do a data plan right now.

Features I know I want:
Well, I currently have an LG VX8300, and have no complaints about it beyond it being a few years old and not capable of all the fun stuff phones have been able to do since the end of '08. Phone envy, I guess. Trouble is, most of those phones and that fun stuff require data plans, which I can't manage at the moment. I only do calls, texts and loving around with custom ringtones on my 8300; is there anything available that's significantly better at these things than the 8300 and is easy to work with and fits in a pocket, or should I just stick with mine until I can get a data plan, and try to put the NE2 credit toward an Incredible or whatever newer phone's the best at that point?

There's a huge jump in functionality from a dumbphone like your 8300 and an Incredible. Also, some of the nicer feature phones on Verizon require data plans also now. I'd rather wait to get a nice Android smartphone on Verizon when you can swing it and the data plan that goes along with it. I will say that the Incredible will be the king of the Verizon Android hill for a while now.

Check if your university or employer offers you a discount for Verizon service. Verizon discounts can be really nice if you have one.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Not really the best place for this question.

Sorry.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 21, 2010

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
# Country/Provider: USA / Currently AT&T; I would like to switch to Verizon

# Current contract status: Ended in December, so I am on month-to-month now.

# Budget (phone/plan): Phone: $200+; Plan: ~$100 (with 900 minutes or so)

# Features I know I want: Send/receive phone calls, web-browsing, .doc/.docx support, syncing with google voice/calendar/mail, syncing with outlook contacts, my own ringtones, decent app support

I used a RAZR v3 for most of the last two years, and then switched to a Blackberry Pearl that my sister had lying around but still only used phone and texting. I've recently started practicing as an attorney and need to add the data plan to keep up with emails and my schedule. If I'm going to pay for that, I'd rather take the plunge and get a phone with a screen I can see and a more advanced web browser. I'm willing to pay for it, but I don't necessarily need the most recent phone.

My father has an iPhone and it is pretty cool, but I imagine it's more expensive than other options with similar specs. I'm ignorant with respect to phones, generally, and I'm usually 3-4 years behind. I want to switch away from AT&T because I get zero reception in my office, in my home, in court, and in any other building really. My wife is on Verizon and gets reception in those places, so I figure it is the way to go.

Edit: After messing around on Verizon's site, it looks like I could do the Droid Incredible for $200, and then for 900 minutes, unlimited data/email, and 250 text messages it would be $96/month. I currently pay 75/month for 900 minutes and 200 text messages, so that seems like a reasonable deal. Is there any way to get the activation fee waived? Stuff like that bugs me.

JesustheDarkLord fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 21, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

# Features I know I want: Send/receive phone calls, web-browsing, .doc/.docx support, syncing with google voice/calendar/mail, syncing with outlook contacts, my own ringtones, decent app support

I used a RAZR v3 for most of the last two years, and then switched to a Blackberry Pearl that my sister had lying around but still only used phone and texting. I've recently started practicing as an attorney and need to add the data plan to keep up with emails and my schedule. If I'm going to pay for that, I'd rather take the plunge and get a phone with a screen I can see and a more advanced web browser. I'm willing to pay for it, but I don't necessarily need the most recent phone.

My father has an iPhone and it is pretty cool, but I imagine it's more expensive than other options with similar specs. I'm ignorant with respect to phones, generally, and I'm usually 3-4 years behind. I want to switch away from AT&T because I get zero reception in my office, in my home, in court, and in any other building really. My wife is on Verizon and gets reception in those places, so I figure it is the way to go.

Edit: After messing around on Verizon's site, it looks like I could do the Droid Incredible for $200, and then for 900 minutes, unlimited data/email, and 250 text messages it would be $96/month. I currently pay 75/month for 900 minutes and 200 text messages, so that seems like a reasonable deal. Is there any way to get the activation fee waived? Stuff like that bugs me.

Verizon is pretty cool and the Droid Incredible is the phone to get. If VZ is like Sprint The only way to possibly get fees waived is either A. have a corporate discount that waives them or B. go through retentions and get them to waive it or you won't join up. If they are in danger of losing the sale they might budge. And def check to see if you get a discount for wherever you work either way.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
So, what would make me want the Incredible over the Eris? I've read the descriptions on Verizon's site, but I'm not sure how much real-world application there is. It's a $120 difference, but is the upgrade worth that?*

*Yes I am a whore for new things too.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

If you can wait 2 more months, go to Sprint and get EPRP. $80/month in your case for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and data with all the other Sprint goodies (7 PM N&W, etc...) The device to get is the HTC Evo 4G. The Evo has a bigger screen than the Incredible.

One more thing, check if your employer gets a discount on any service. I know that Verizon can hand out some nice discounts.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

JesustheDarkLord posted:

So, what would make me want the Incredible over the Eris?
You can either pay $2,384 for two years on an outdated phone with a 2008-vintage processor, a poo poo camera, and a low-res screen (Droid Eris); or you can pay $2,504 for two years on a phone that's debatably the best phone in the U.S. right now which is hilariously rare for Verizon and may not happen again in this decade (Droid Incredible).

The smarter option is to follow Godzilla's advice and roll Sprint EPRP in the summer and get an even better phone and save a bunch of money, but people don't like doing that for some reason.

UnL337
Jan 10, 2007
Thinking is for squares.
Country/Provider:
USA/Virgin Mobile. Looking to switch to pretty much anything else. Really don't like Virgin.

Current contract status:
Not really on a contract, but I pay about 45 bucks a month for like 700 minutes and unlimited texting.

Budget (phone/plan):
I could probably shell out 75 bucks a month, and for the phone, the budget isn't an issue.

Features I know I want:
I really want something like the iPhone or the HTCHD. Basically, something that can do everything, texting, browsing the web, watching videos, apps, you get the idea. I don't really need that many minutes, although I'd unlimited texting is a much, and if I could get unlimited web I'd really like that too. Also, I'd like it to be a decent MP3 player because someone recently stole my iPod touch so I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I'm finally moving away from this horrible phone service and really want to switch to something that is decent. I don't have a particular carrier in mind at all, I just want to get away from Virgin Mobile and get a new phone while I'm at it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

UnL337 posted:

Country/Provider:
USA/Virgin Mobile. Looking to switch to pretty much anything else. Really don't like Virgin.

Current contract status:
Not really on a contract, but I pay about 45 bucks a month for like 700 minutes and unlimited texting.

Budget (phone/plan):
I could probably shell out 75 bucks a month, and for the phone, the budget isn't an issue.

Features I know I want:
I really want something like the iPhone or the HTCHD. Basically, something that can do everything, texting, browsing the web, watching videos, apps, you get the idea. I don't really need that many minutes, although I'd unlimited texting is a much, and if I could get unlimited web I'd really like that too. Also, I'd like it to be a decent MP3 player because someone recently stole my iPod touch so I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I'm finally moving away from this horrible phone service and really want to switch to something that is decent. I don't have a particular carrier in mind at all, I just want to get away from Virgin Mobile and get a new phone while I'm at it.

For only $60/month, get Sprint EPRP. 500 minutes, unlimited texts and data, 7 PM N&W with all the other Sprint goodies. Wait 2 more months if you can and get the HTC Evo 4G. It'll be the best phone on the market when it comes out. Giant screen, modern OS and amazing hardware.

But if you're having a problem with cell reception, you may want to think twice before signing up with Sprint because Virgin piggybacks off of the Sprint towers. I do think that their phones may just get lovely reception.

BluePard
Jan 24, 2009
# Country/Provider: USA/T-mobile
# Current contract status: Pre-paid
# Budget (phone/plan): cheap as possible
# Features I know I want: Wi-fi calling, good reception

I just want a cheap phone I can use to make calls through my wi-fi because the reception here is so lovely. Just using it as a phone, don't need a keyboard or anything else really. Thanks.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Country/Provider:
USA, AT&T.

Current contract status:
Will be switching from Verizon early May to my father's family plan.

Budget (phone/plan):
Free to <$50

Features I know I want:
1. Good battery life, reception, and so on.
2. A QWERTY keyboard
3. Durable

Features that would be nice:
1. A decent camera
2. An interface that isn't full of crap that they charge extra for.

This is really about it. I have an EnV right now, and I like it. I have been stuck with crap phones in the past, and don't want that to happen again. However, I hate researching cell phones because of the incredibly fast turnover rate. Phone reviews that were posted 6 months ago may no longer be relevant because of newer, better phones. I like to keep up to date on technology, but cellphones give me a headache.I know there is usually a phone in every carrier's cheap pile that excels above the rest, just like there are phones to avoid. If you could let me know what these are, that would be great.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 23, 2010

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: $45/month for 450 with rollover

Budget (phone/plan):
willing to go $80 month for a phone+data plan, maybe looking at $350-500 for the phone unlocked

Features I know I want: must quad-band (there's a good chance I may be moving overseas this year or next). I can handle not having stellar web browsing or video playback, but it would be nice maybe having a map app or two. Symbian on my Nokia has felt a little slow at times but I could probably put up with it again. Android has piqued my interest however.

Above all things it must have good volume and reception. My first phone, a RAZR, was often very quiet, and my last phone, a nokia E50, has sometimes had trouble picking up voices as well. I tried out a friends iphone but it seemed really quiet too. I know partly this will be due to carrier, so if anyone has recommendations for carriers that do a good job in washington state i would be all ears. GSM Arena has these results from various reviews they've done:

So anything in the 72-77 decibel range for voice would be ideal I think.

I like the concepts of the HTC phones but they may be slightly out of my price range.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BluePard posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/T-mobile
# Current contract status: Pre-paid
# Budget (phone/plan): cheap as possible
# Features I know I want: Wi-fi calling, good reception

I just want a cheap phone I can use to make calls through my wi-fi because the reception here is so lovely. Just using it as a phone, don't need a keyboard or anything else really. Thanks.

T-Mobile doesn't sell any UMA phones anymore excpet for BlackBerrys, but this Nokia 7510 is a solid buy.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Country/Provider:
USA, AT&T.

Current contract status:
Will be switching from Verizon early May to my father's family plan.

Budget (phone/plan):
Free to <$50

Features I know I want:
1. Good battery life, reception, and so on.
2. A QWERTY keyboard
3. Durable

1. A decent camera
2. An interface that isn't full of crap that they charge extra for.

This is really about it. I have an EnV right now, and I like it. I have been stuck with crap phones in the past, and don't want that to happen again. However, I hate researching cell phones because of the incredibly fast turnover rate. Phone reviews that were posted 6 months ago may no longer be relevant because of newer, better phones. I like to keep up to date on technology, but cellphones give me a headache.I know there is usually a phone in every carrier's cheap pile that excels above the rest, just like there are phones to avoid. If you could let me know what these are, that would be great.

The Samsung Solstice is apparently the best of the QWERTY featurephone bunch on AT&T. Decent camera, nice screen and good keyboard from reviews. The featurephone market doesn't change much, sorry. You can just ignore the AT&T crap, but there's really no way around it.

Grimson posted:

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: $45/month for 450 with rollover

Budget (phone/plan):
willing to go $80 month for a phone+data plan, maybe looking at $350-500 for the phone unlocked

Features I know I want: must quad-band (there's a good chance I may be moving overseas this year or next). I can handle not having stellar web browsing or video playback, but it would be nice maybe having a map app or two. Symbian on my Nokia has felt a little slow at times but I could probably put up with it again. Android has piqued my interest however.

Above all things it must have good volume and reception. My first phone, a RAZR, was often very quiet, and my last phone, a nokia E50, has sometimes had trouble picking up voices as well. I tried out a friends iphone but it seemed really quiet too. I know partly this will be due to carrier, so if anyone has recommendations for carriers that do a good job in washington state i would be all ears. GSM Arena has these results from various reviews they've done:

So anything in the 72-77 decibel range for voice would be ideal I think.

I like the concepts of the HTC phones but they may be slightly out of my price range.

T-Mobile Even More Plus, along with an unlocked, unsubsidized Nexus One. The EM Plus plan is $60/month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and data. You will have to roll your own phone, in this case, a Nexus One. Yes, it's $529. But it's very much worth it. The $529 N1 is unlocked, with Euro 3G along with support for North American 3G. Don't be a cheapass and go with some lovely S60 phone, because for one, there's not one S60 phone that supports 3G that isn't sold by T-Mobile. Also, S60 looks horribly outdated now.

The iPhone has a quiet speakerphone, and so does the Razr. You won't really have too many problems with the speakerphone on the N1.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Oh god, definitely go with the Nexus One. As a side-note, please buy mine for $520 shipped. A brand new N1 costs right at $545 after tax purchased directly from Google, and through a series of events I somehow ended up with a second Nexus One, of the T-Mobile variety (I'm on AT&T). Brand new in box, never opened or powered on or "tested" or anything like that.

As for the phone itself, I'm using the AT&T version of it and it's drop-dead incredible. Provided the software updates keep coming, I'm considering trying to stretch this phone for a long while -- it seems to be sitting in a really favorable intersection of release date and projected longevity. Most of the so-called "better" phones coming out over the next while are just riffs on the Nexus One.

It's really nice to have non-Apple smartphone that's made out of metal and glass for once.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

It's time for me to eat my own advice!

Here's my situation. I'm a bit fed up with T-Mobile over their billing. It'll be only $30 more for me to jump ship to Sprint and EPRP over getting a T-Mobile Nexus One. I'm not looking forward to the $850 sticker shock before I get my MIRs in but oh well. For $20 more a month, I get data on 2 other lines and a ton more minutes that no one will use (we barely go over 300 right now as is.)

I'm getting an Evo. This was made clear to me when it came out.

For my mom, she's either getting a Pixi or a Curve 8530. Which one should I push on her? She's currently using a Curve 8320 so she'd be familiar with it. Palm is in dire straits right now so I'm not too confident about support, but I've heard good things about webOS. If she can manage to use a 2-year old BlackBerry, she'll probably be fine with webOS but she has to learn a new OS. But webOS looks nicer and the Pixi has a touchscreen.

I'm probably getting my dad a Moment. I feel guilty, but there really aren't any more smartphones with a big QWERTY keyboard on Sprint. But should I just get him a nice dumbphone? Trying to keep all my options open here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

It's time for me to eat my own advice!

Here's my situation. I'm a bit fed up with T-Mobile over their billing. It'll be only $30 more for me to jump ship to Sprint and EPRP over getting a T-Mobile Nexus One. I'm not looking forward to the $850 sticker shock before I get my MIRs in but oh well. For $20 more a month, I get data on 2 other lines and a ton more minutes that no one will use (we barely go over 300 right now as is.)

I'm getting an Evo. This was made clear to me when it came out.

For my mom, she's either getting a Pixi or a Curve 8530. Which one should I push on her? She's currently using a Curve 8320 so she'd be familiar with it. Palm is in dire straits right now so I'm not too confident about support, but I've heard good things about webOS. If she can manage to use a 2-year old BlackBerry, she'll probably be fine with webOS but she has to learn a new OS. But webOS looks nicer and the Pixi has a touchscreen.

I'm probably getting my dad a Moment. I feel guilty, but there really aren't any more smartphones with a big QWERTY keyboard on Sprint. But should I just get him a nice dumbphone? Trying to keep all my options open here.

Especially if your mom is already used to Blackberry, the Curve is great (and purple!).

For Dad, depends on what he needs, but show him the Lotus Elite as well. The black one is slick, and it really blurs the line between dumb and smart phone. It supports Opera Mini 5 and even exchange. If he neeeeeds a smartphone as long as he isn't a geek the Moment will be fine.

And if the MIR is a huge deal Best Buy does offer instant rebates. Just make sure the person you get knows what they are doing.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

poo poo, BB Mobile can do EPRP activations? If so, well there goes my fear of sticker shock.

I'll look at the Lotus Elite but the keyboard could be a little too small for my dad. He was impressed with the Google navigation and the speech-to-text feature in 2.1 for the Moment. Big screen and big keyboard are good for him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

poo poo, BB Mobile can do EPRP activations? If so, well there goes my fear of sticker shock.

I'll look at the Lotus Elite but the keyboard could be a little too small for my dad. He was impressed with the Google navigation and the speech-to-text feature in 2.1 for the Moment. Big screen and big keyboard are good for him.

poo poo i missed that part. BBM cannot do EPRP, my bad!

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
e: didn't read the OP, lol

Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon

Current contract status:
Upgrade on 4/29

Budget (phone/plan):
Free to <$150

Features I know I want:
1. Decent battery life - I text a lot.
2. Smart Phone :v:

1. Non-sucking internet interface - the ability to connect to wifi.
2. Camera
3. Sexy?

Hello everyone, I have an upgrade next thursday! :dance:

I want to get a smart phone, I'm on Verizon and paying for their BS data plan is annoying, but not too much of an issue.

My dad has the HTC Eris, I like it a lot, but I also like the new Motorola that has come out, the Devour. Has anyone got it and could tell me a bit about it? I've always been a Motorola person, but my MOTO is dying and I need to get a better phone for myself now that I'm (almost) out of college.

Nereid fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 25, 2010

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Nereid posted:

Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon

Current contract status:
Upgrade on 4/29

Budget (phone/plan):
Free to <$150

Features I know I want:

2. Camera
3. Sexy?

I want to get a smart phone, I'm on Verizon and paying for their BS data plan is annoying, but not too much of an issue.

My dad has the HTC Eris, I like it a lot, but I also like the new Motorola that has come out, the Devour. Has anyone got it and could tell me a bit about it? I've always been a Motorola person, but my MOTO is dying and I need to get a better phone for myself now that I'm (almost) out of college.

If you like the Eris, get the Incredible, it's VZW's best Android phone by far.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nereid posted:

Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon

Current contract status:
Upgrade on 4/29

Budget (phone/plan):
Free to <$150

Features I know I want:

2. Camera
3. Sexy?

Well a data plan is kinda required if you want to get the most out of your smartphone.

Get the Droid Incredible. It's by far and away the best Android phone on Verizon. It's a much-improved version of the Droid Eris.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
edit: nm

J.theYellow fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 26, 2010

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
I'm currently in the USA but will soon be taking a ~2 week trip to the UK and Ireland and would greatly appreciate help figuring out my best options for getting voice and 3G data while I'm away.

I have at my disposal:

Phones:
1) AT&T iPhone 3GS
2) Unlocked Nokia N73

Data:
3) AT&T GlobeTrotter Express HSUPA laptop card
4) Willingness to purchase iPad 3G

I'm definitely going to be bringing my iPhone so that I can still receive emergency calls on my US phone number. I assume it's wise to apply AT&T's international roaming package for the month, yes? But beyond emergency use, my understanding is that the iPhone will be mind bogglingly expensive to use there for either voice or data. Is that correct, or is there something I'm missing?

Assuming the iPhone should stay in a bag unused, I'd still like to have the ability to make voice calls to numbers inside UK/Ireland. Additionally, I'd like to have some sort of broadband internet access that doesn't rely on finding WiFi. What's my best approach?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Country/Provider: USA/Sprint
Current contract status: Have not entered a contract yet
Budget: $100-350 (phone), $50-70 (plan)

I'm not looking for a horribly fancy phone. A QWERTY keyboard would be nice, and I definitely want a camera and a clean interface. Touch screen isn't all that important. External memory (microSD and the like) is always a plus, as is a strong battery life. I'm willing to buy used.

As far as a plan goes, I'm torn between Sprint's Everything Messaging plan ($50/mo) or the Everything Data plan ($70/mo). I think I'd use the phone quite a bit for social networking & email if I got the data plan, but I need a second opinion - do you think it'd be worth shelling out the extra $20? EDIT: Nevermind, I found the EPRP plan in the Sprint Megathread. Pardon my retardedness.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 27, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Quixote posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint
Current contract status: Have not entered a contract yet
Budget: $100-350 (phone), $50-70 (plan)

I'm not looking for a horribly fancy phone. A QWERTY keyboard would be nice, and I definitely want a camera and a clean interface. Touch screen isn't all that important. External memory (microSD and the like) is always a plus, as is a strong battery life. I'm willing to buy used.

As far as a plan goes, I'm torn between Sprint's Everything Messaging plan ($50/mo) or the Everything Data plan ($70/mo). I think I'd use the phone quite a bit for social networking & email if I got the data plan, but I need a second opinion - do you think it'd be worth shelling out the extra $20? EDIT: Nevermind, I found the EPRP plan in the Sprint Megathread. Pardon my retardedness.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Get a Sprint black Lotus Elite for $30 instant online.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)
I'm looking for a plan with unlimited talking.

I don't care about texting/internet, I just want a quality phone that I can take business calls on without worrying about minutes. What is the best plan out there with a decent network. Sprint and AT&T are around $70/mo, I'd like something closer to $40 if possible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gear Head posted:

I'm looking for a plan with unlimited talking.

I don't care about texting/internet, I just want a quality phone that I can take business calls on without worrying about minutes. What is the best plan out there with a decent network. Sprint and AT&T are around $70/mo, I'd like something closer to $40 if possible.

TMobile Even More Plus Talk plan for $49.99. On the plan you need to buy your phone outright (or get it cheap off craigslist), but def the best rate. TMobile coverage is usually pretty good, but check their map for your location.

For JUST TALKING the next closest is Verizon at $69.99 (and of course coverage is amazing). AT&T is also $69.99. Unless you are looking at an older plan Sprint at $69.99 is actually unlimited web, text and calling to any CELL phone, you have 450 mins for landlines.

brown_recluse
Jul 19, 2006
Pessimist by policy, optimist by temperament.
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Contract Status: Eligible for equipment upgrade, contract ends in July.

Budget: $150 or less considering the upgrade discount/rebates.

Features : Calls, texting, google apps (contacts), decent web browser, apps, wi-fi, bluetooth, prefer a hardware keyboard

Don't care about : GPS, music playback, could live without the keyboard

I currently have an LG Voyager and it does almost everything I want but the browser is lovely (I hate the optimized mode) and the screen is too small, and it's pretty slow. I love the hardware keyboard on it though. I'm sorely tempted to just get a droid but convincing the fiancee is a hurdle :v:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Get a Sprint black Lotus Elite for $30 instant online.
If you like this style of phone (small form factor w/hardware QWERTY), I'd recommend picking up a Palm Pixi if you're going with EPRP anyways. WebOS has the slickest interface of all the mobile OSes to date, and the phone is now free online w/2 year contract. The downsides are no wifi (which is on the Pixi Plus, and might show up on a Sprint refresh if Palm holds on long enough), and no microsd slot although it does have 8GB internal flash. Also, Palm is dying a thousand deaths, so long-term support for the platform is iffy, but everyone agrees that it's a great platform.

If you don't like Pixi (or Pre) but like that style of phone, you might want to look into a Palm Treo Pro. I think Sprint might've discontinued selling them, but they're going for $150ish on eBay new, half that used. If you go that route, you should be able to sign up for EPRP month-to-month, and can use the "upgrade" rebate later on. It's very much a "last generation" phone in the sense that it runs Windows Mobile 6.1, but you can still get Opera, Gmail, Google Maps, etc., for it. Plus unlike the Pixi it does have wifi and a microsd slot. At least, I would consider getting this before the HTC Snap which Sprint does currently sell, and is a much inferior phone.

If you know a dumbphone is for you, the Lotus Elite is probably the best of that bunch. Seems silly though to pay for a data plan w/EPRP and not get a smartphone though. I know you don't want to do anything "fancy," but mobile web, maps, etc., is really awesome once you get used to it.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 28, 2010

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brown_recluse posted:

I'm sorely tempted to just get a droid but convincing the fiancee is a hurdle :v:
What does she take particular issue with? Size? Interface? Cost of phone or plan upgrade?

The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are probably the two best Verizon smartphones with hardware keyboards that aren't the Droid. They're $49/$29 respectively due to Palm horrible death. Screen size might be a bit small for you, but if so, Droid really is your best option there. Might be worth checking them out in a store to see the interface and browser. Chicks tend to dig them too, so that might work out in your favor.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you know a dumbphone is for you, the Lotus Elite is probably the best of that bunch. Seems silly though to pay for a data plan w/EPRP and not get a smartphone though. I know you don't want to do anything "fancy," but mobile web, maps, etc., is really awesome once you get used to it.

Lotus Elite can run Opera Mini 5, has maps, navigation, TV, etc. It'll even do exchange. I agree the Pixi is also a good choice, and now that HP bought palm looks like it'll be around for a good bit.

Gear Head
Aug 18, 2005
Ask me about the normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a rape victim! The normal profile of a RAPE victim! THE NORMAL PROFILE OF A RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM! NORMAL PROFILE! RAPE VICTIM!

(I only rape women under 30 though!)

Duckman2008 posted:

TMobile Even More Plus Talk plan for $49.99. On the plan you need to buy your phone outright (or get it cheap off craigslist), but def the best rate. TMobile coverage is usually pretty good, but check their map for your location.

For JUST TALKING the next closest is Verizon at $69.99 (and of course coverage is amazing). AT&T is also $69.99. Unless you are looking at an older plan Sprint at $69.99 is actually unlimited web, text and calling to any CELL phone, you have 450 mins for landlines.

thanks, I answer a lot of ad calls on my phone and I'm terrified what my normally $30 sero bill will be this month. I'd like to transfer my number over if possible.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You get a drat good discount. 23% and all activation fees waived. Here's the code: GUVHA_UOM_ZZZ

Awesome thank you. EVO here I come!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gear Head posted:

thanks, I answer a lot of ad calls on my phone and I'm terrified what my normally $30 sero bill will be this month. I'd like to transfer my number over if possible.

Number ports are easy, just have whoever you are transferring to port it, DO NOT CANCEL yourself. They'll block the number if you cancel.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Godzilla07 posted:

Get the Droid Incredible. It's by far and away the best Android phone on Verizon. It's a much-improved version of the Droid Eris.

This. I've had the Eris since it came out and the loving thing drives me bonkers. I like the size of the phone and Android is pretty tits, but for the most part it's a piece of junk. The vibrate on it is virtually useless, which means that I miss calls and don't notice texts on a very frequent basis. Most of the time it moves along alright speed-wise, but it suffers from frequent slowdowns that cause all kinds of frustration. It's gotten to where if I'm doing something with the phone and a text comes in, I know it's coming about three seconds ahead of time because the whole loving phone freezes up. Oh and I frequently have people tell me they can't hear me very well (even when I have great reception).

Since Verizon's no-contract prices on phones are ridiculous, I'm basically just waiting for Sprint or AT&T to have something decent come out so I can jump ship on this piece of junk.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Noctone posted:

This. I've had the Eris since it came out and the loving thing drives me bonkers. I like the size of the phone and Android is pretty tits, but for the most part it's a piece of junk. The vibrate on it is virtually useless, which means that I miss calls and don't notice texts on a very frequent basis. Most of the time it moves along alright speed-wise, but it suffers from frequent slowdowns that cause all kinds of frustration. It's gotten to where if I'm doing something with the phone and a text comes in, I know it's coming about three seconds ahead of time because the whole loving phone freezes up. Oh and I frequently have people tell me they can't hear me very well (even when I have great reception).

Since Verizon's no-contract prices on phones are ridiculous, I'm basically just waiting for Sprint or AT&T to have something decent come out so I can jump ship on this piece of junk.

I can't remember when the "Advanced Devices ETF" or "rape you for more money" ETF came into play, but it was after you bought the Eris. Get an Evo and Sprint EPRP when it comes out. AT&T and an iPhone if you like paying those prices for that lovely network.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Godzilla07 posted:

I can't remember when the "Advanced Devices ETF" or "rape you for more money" ETF came into play, but it was after you bought the Eris. Get an Evo and Sprint EPRP when it comes out. AT&T and an iPhone if you like paying those prices for that lovely network.

Yeah pretty sure that came into play after I bought it. Wouldn't surprise me if Verizon tried to rape me on it anyways. We'll see. Evo 4G and possibly the new iPhone (haven't really paid much attention to it) are on my radar. Pre Plus still kind of intrigues me (even though I bought and dumped the Pre twice in the past), assuming Palm has gotten their poo poo together on hardware issues (doubt it). It's a shame that the best phone for me (Droid Incredible) is too prohibitively expensive to get in my particular situation. I want off Verizon anyways, the text message delivery delays that they're notorious for have been hitting me pretty hardcore lately and it's really starting to piss me off, and despite having better coverage than AT&T in general they have worse coverage in the most important spots for me.

Karo
May 23, 2008

Alle Ruder stehen still, wenn dein starker Arm es will.
I plan to buy a unbranded phone. My current phone is the SE w880i. I like it because it's very small and fits in my front pocket. I like the fact that it consists of metal and is therefore quite sturdy despite being so thin and finally I think it look nice.

What I don't like is the very small screen (1.8 inch if I'm not mistaken), the large bezel, the tiny keys, slow processor and when I think about it a radio and a standard head-phone jack would be great (but not terribly important). A higher resolution than 240x320 would come in handy as well.

So what I'm looking for is something that offers a little more without going over the top. I don't need a hardware keyboard or GPS and such. Hope that's not too vague.

My budget would be up to 250$ I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Country/Provider:
USA, Verizon (currently)

Current contract status:
In on a family plan, expires in July. Eligible for an upgrade now.

Budget:
I'm hoping to stay on the cheap side, but I'll be starting a new job soon, with a fancy new pay grade to match.

Features I currently use:
Unlimited Text (qwerty preferred)
Some Talk (I haven't used over 400 minutes in the past year)
Some picture messaging (>20 per month)

As is my current phone (LG Voyager) has a broken charger port. I'm going to head to the store to see if I can do anything to squeeze more life out of this old piece, but if that's not possible I'd like to know my options. I can jump ship in July, but until then I'm stuck.

I'm thinking of staying with Verizon and getting a dumbphone, since I'm thinking that'll be the cheapest and I'm happy as is. That being said, if I'm happier with an Incredible or whatever, I could be convinced to switch over. My problem here is that the sky is the limit.