Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How many FPS/RPG hybrids are there

Outside those made by Looking Glass/Ion Storm

The only ones I can think of are Strife, System Shock 2, and VTM:B. I guess Mass Effect and Borderlands are technically FPS/RPG hybrids, but I feel like they're different enough from DX to not be in the same category.

Alpha Protocol is coming out soon, and, besides the third-person perspective, it looks to be another game to add to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, I beat Deus Ex again.

I didn't get the famous "oh my god JC, a bomb!" scene. I think I did something wrong. :ohdear:
You have to find the dead mechanic at the helipad when you're at Everett's place. Then talk to the live "Odd Mechanic," then kill him.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

fulcrum150 posted:

Unfortunately, no. However, you could try using the command summon (or spawnmass) augmentationcannister. It'll spawn an aug can with two random augmentations in it, so you'll have to keep spawning them till you get the ones you want.

There's a blurb in the Prima strategy guide that says she's a UNATCO snitch, but I can't recall if it's mentioned in game or not.

I literally just did this part and avoided Shea like the plague, the thug appeared outside Osgood and Sons after I talked to the reporter in the clinic and left him alive, before ever entering the bar. I thwacked him with the dragon's tooth. Nobody else turned up after that even after talking to people in the bar and then killing the reporter.
She may be a snitch, but isn't she set up earlier in the game as having resentment against UNATCO for her mech arms?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

CaptainWinky posted:

You have to find the dead mechanic at the helipad when you're at Everett's place. Then talk to the live "Odd Mechanic," then kill him.

The only thing you have to do is run up to the live one and :black101: him in THE FACE with your nanosword of choice. The rest is optional.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Samopsa posted:

The only thing you have to do is run up to the live one and :black101: him in THE FACE with your nanosword of choice. The rest is optional.

Oh that's right. I remember in one playthrough just twatting him in the face and JC justifies it with "Something just didn't seem right about him" or something like that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

CaptainWinky posted:

Oh that's right. I remember in one playthrough just twatting him in the face and JC justifies it with "Something just didn't seem right about him" or something like that.

Yeah, that bit is full of voice acting goodness. You can even run all the way back to everett and talk to him about the suspicious guy, or after the deed, he actually compliments you on your paranoia.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
God Deus Ex, I bought and played it a few years ago from beginning to end and despite the age it still is a bloody good game.

One of my favourite things to do was just hack around peoples accounts and read their e-mail and steal their hard earned credits. This game has hundreds of frigging e-mails I didn't find as I skimmed through a website that hosted them all.

One of my favourites was reading the E-mails from those rogue NSF Agents.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How many FPS/RPG hybrids are there

Outside those made by Looking Glass/Ion Storm

There's a few for the Playstation 1/2, the King's Field series 0-3 (0 released only in Japan as 1), and the Shadow tower series made by ASCII (the second one, Shadow Tower Abyss, was released only in Japan). The first games in both of those series are pretty awful and should only be played by hardcore fans in my opinion, but the rest are great. There's also Eternal Ring, also made by ASCII. Its pretty not good though, so I wouldn't play it unless you've played all the other decent ones and are still looking for something to do.

Also I guess you could count the Elder Scrolls series too, but none of these games have guns barring crossbows/bows and magic (except for Shadow Tower Abyss, which also has guns), so I don't know how 'shooter' they could be considered, but they are all are first person real time games though.

The last game I know of is Hungry Ghosts, a really obscure Japanese game by Sony for the PS2. Its in all Japanese and is really creepy and REALLY hard to understand whats going on (even if you know Japanese, I'm sure), so I was never able to finish it.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 25, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

fulcrum150 posted:

Unfortunately, no. However, you could try using the command summon (or spawnmass) augmentationcannister. It'll spawn an aug can with two random augmentations in it, so you'll have to keep spawning them till you get the ones you want.

I tried this and it didn't work. I entered in the code and the game told me that "augmentationcanister" was an illegal actor name.

Also, once you have the Spy Drone, how do you make it interact with computers? I cheated it in on another save and, while using Biomod, still can't get it to highlight computers or terminals.

VVV Thanks, that did it. Apparently I can't spell at all.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 25, 2010

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I tried this and it didn't work. I entered in the code and the game told me that "augmentationcanister" was an illegal actor name.

augmentationcannister. Two Ns.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Somehow I never logged into the one computer in the helipad before going to Lebedev's terminal. When you do, you get a password for the phone on the desk and hear a really interesting conversation between Lebedev and Tracer Tong. I've played this game so many times and only just found this. Unfortunately I don't think it changes any dialog once you've heard it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Stump Truck posted:

Somehow I never logged into the one computer in the helipad before going to Lebedev's terminal. When you do, you get a password for the phone on the desk and hear a really interesting conversation between Lebedev and Tracer Tong. I've played this game so many times and only just found this. Unfortunately I don't think it changes any dialog once you've heard it.

That's a Shifter-only feature. The files for it are in the base game, but inaccessible through normal play.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Stump Truck posted:

I missed that this time, too. Bah.

And yet for some reason I keep backtracking because I suddenly realize "hey, wait, I remember that there was a canister of napalm back in that room that I missed."

I guess a dozen playthroughs leaves a mark even if you haven't played in years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Male Man posted:

That's a Shifter-only feature. The files for it are in the base game, but inaccessible through normal play.

What a shame.

Anyone mind posting a transcript of it? I just finished replaying, don't want to do it again so quickly.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Grand Fromage posted:

What a shame.

Anyone mind posting a transcript of it? I just finished replaying, don't want to do it again so quickly.
I don't have a transcript but here's a summary: Lebedev tells Tracer that paul's brother is coming and Tracer tells Lebedev to kill JC because he's still loyal to UNACTO and they can't take any chances. Lebedev refuses, saying he can convince JC to join them.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

Luigi Thirty posted:

I also really like the music. I like that late 90s techno blend crap. How do I turn the UMX files into something I can throw on my music player of choice? I haven't done much Unreal engine stuff lately.

http://www.winamp.com/plugin/umx-decoder/49627 will let winamp read them, and you can export mp3s directly from winamp I think.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Carbohydrates posted:

I always do this in the missile silo level: knock out the dick in the bottom of the silo, carry him up top, and center his body over the silo doors. When the missile launches, it will pick him up and take him with it. gently caress you, unimportant forgettable bad guy!

I did that with Walton Simons' body.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The only way to kill Strong Howard is to turn on your legs aug and goomba-stomp him from as high as possible.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Amethyst posted:

What the hell? I just launched the game and every voice and sound effect sounds like it's been run through the darth vader voice filter. Anyone seen this?

Maybe try messing with the sound latency settings?

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UT_Troubleshooting_FAQ

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Just installed TNM. Wow did they put a lot of effort into this. The internet jokes are really dumb but I can't believe how polished it is. Found some other good mods, but it's frustrating how most of them don't have any recorded dialog. Also, I'm playing Zodiac and I'm pretty sure I'm at a point in the CIA base where I can't possibly progress without cheating due to not having enough multitools.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

You know the basketball court in Hell's Kitchen? I just tried shooting, and missing, a whole bunch - a message popped up on my screen that said "Sign him up for the Knicks!!"
I guess somebody had it in for the Knicks.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
If you want to try something unique, check out Burden of 80 Proof. It has almost no fighting, and plays more like an Sierra/Lucasarts adventure, but it's very well made and funny.

stratdax posted:

You know the basketball court in Hell's Kitchen? I just tried shooting, and missing, a whole bunch - a message popped up on my screen that said "Sign him up for the Knicks!!"
I guess somebody had it in for the Knicks.

IIRC, the message is intended for sinking the shot. The ball must have grazed the edge of the collision box.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
I think you can throw the basketball through directly from below and still get the message.

System Shock 2 has a similar easter egg too.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace

SeanBeansShako posted:

One of my favourite things to do was just hack around peoples accounts and read their e-mail and steal their hard earned credits. This game has hundreds of frigging e-mails I didn't find as I skimmed through a website that hosted them all.

One of my favourites was reading the E-mails from those rogue NSF Agents.

The hands down best email exchange in Deus Ex are between the Versalife employees talking about the latest version of NetHack, its great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I also really like the music. I like that late 90s techno blend crap. How do I turn the UMX files into something I can throw on my music player of choice? I haven't done much Unreal engine stuff lately.

It's a god tier soundtrack

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
I just read an e-mail on Paul's computer from someone at UNATCO named Harley Quinzell. hmmm...

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Male Man posted:

Doesn't shifter also add a feature where Ford Schick(I think that was his name. the guy you rescue from the MJ12 lab under hells kitchen) ends up hanging out in Smugglers room? Its either that or you can spawn him and he thanks you with an upgrade canister and has a pretty long dialogue about augmentations.

I could also be making this whole thing up but I swear I saw it once.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pole of Mars posted:

I just read an e-mail on Paul's computer from someone at UNATCO named Harley Quinzell. hmmm...

Didn't he have an email from a movie rental place about renting Blue Harvest too?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

BlackCircle posted:

Doesn't shifter also add a feature where Ford Schick(I think that was his name. the guy you rescue from the MJ12 lab under hells kitchen) ends up hanging out in Smugglers room? Its either that or you can spawn him and he thanks you with an upgrade canister and has a pretty long dialogue about augmentations.

I could also be making this whole thing up but I swear I saw it once.

Yes, there was some unused scripting and dialogue for Ford Schick that Shifter re-enabled so you will see him next time you're in Hell's Kitchen.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
This thread will be my undoing. Every time I see it, I get this urge, a need, to replay this game again. I've beaten it 3 times in the last week and a half.

God, playing this thing is like exploring one of those choose your own adventure books--turn to page 56 if you go down the cellar or 12 if you climb the ladder--which makes it incredibly addictive. And that's terror.

gently caress you all, friends!

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Using a zyme vial in Shifter and then running around in bullet time throwing combat knives is pretty fun.

I also like Manderley's dialogue if you kill Anna in the 747.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Don't remember seeing this mentioned but this mod looks insane if it ever comes out anytime soon.

http://project2027.com/

It does look like they're still updating their website though so that's a good sign. Check out the trailer because it will give you a boner

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
You know what's fun? Using the Shifter mod and waiting in some shadowy corner, and when some unlucky guard finally wanders into rage, slamming the alt fire button and hurling like 6 combat knives into the guy's face in under a second.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 26, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Stump Truck posted:

Don't remember seeing this mentioned but this mod looks insane if it ever comes out anytime soon.

http://project2027.com/

It does look like they're still updating their website though so that's a good sign. Check out the trailer because it will give you a boner

This looks amazing, very Goldeneye-ish.

What happens to Lebedev if you kill Anna on the plane and high-tail it? Can you kill Gunther there as well? (gently caress Gunther, btw)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Le Sean posted:

This looks amazing, very Goldeneye-ish.

What happens to Lebedev if you kill Anna on the plane and high-tail it? Can you kill Gunther there as well? (gently caress Gunther, btw)

I assume Lebedev gets disappeared by UNATCO goons in that case, though you get to have some extra dialogue with him. In any event you don't get to fight Gunty till Paris.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Gynovore posted:

IIRC, the message is intended for sinking the shot. The ball must have grazed the edge of the collision box.
I always thought the knicks message was for a miss and if you sink the shot, it says something about the mavericks. Its been a while since I've tried it though.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Screenshot from the 2027 twitter. http://tinyurl.com/yc5dpqb

This is blasphemy! Deus Ex with daytime levels?

The video's pretty sick though - at the end when he goes down the elevator you can tell they've improved the AI by the way they ran up and started shooting down at him. The one thing that always pisses me off in DX though is not having iron sights, although they seem to be a relatively new thing to have in games. It's just more obvious in that video when you have real life weapons and the graphics look so much more modern.

Stump Truck fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Stump Truck posted:

Screenshot from the 2027 twitter. http://tinyurl.com/yc5dpqb

This is blasphemy! Deus Ex with daytime levels?

The video's pretty sick though - at the end when he goes down the elevator you can tell they've improved the AI by the way they ran up and started shooting down at him. The one thing that always pisses me off in DX though is not having iron sights, although they seem to be a relatively new thing to have in games. It's just more obvious in that video when you have real life weapons and the graphics look so much more modern.

They don't actually look that much more modern... it's basically just better lighting and better textures, that's it. No shader effects, even the areas themselves were pretty low-poly and about on par with DX. Really all it was was DX with better weapon models, lighting, and textures, that's all. And AI, probably.

Looks cool, though. I'm not a graphics whore, so I don't care, my only worry is that since it's a Russian project, not that the writing will necessarily be bad, but the translation could end up being loving awful, especially if they decide to have actual voicework in it. Could ruin the whole thing.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The bloom is making my eyes water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm in the last area of TNM now. I'm going for the secret ending this time, I should be right on track for it.

My favourite thing about TNM? Some of the new weapons, particularly the Twin Pistols and the EMP Pistol. Those two alone make reaching Master skill with pistols desirable. I could do without the sporks, though.

Oh and they removed the Swimming skill and replaced it with Weapon: Fists. Yes there's a hand-to-hand skill in this game, complete with special added-effect gloves for each skill level (which handily don't take up inventory space). Though I've never gotten the hang of knocking guys out bare-handed.