Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Thanks, finally found the ignition coil. Almost had to order it from a UK site. The CB125 is my cousins bike, gonna help him with that but when I was looking through this thread I fell in love with the BMW R/60. Time to start hunting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
old german bikes are tough on tools

well, lovely too small tools

ARYAN STEEL (in the transmission output flange, not the jap crap socket extension)

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
After my little accident last fall (somewhere in the crash thread) I finally got my R75/5 going again this spring and went and got some new Metzler's for it. After that, my gf and I (she on the DR-Z400SM) went over to Twisted Throttle to pick her up some Barkbuster Storms. After a nice visit with the folks there we stopped at Mew's Tavern for late lunch/early dinner and, lo and behold, another R75/5 with toaster panels. I have no idea who it was and was unable to find any obvious rider inside the pub.

(mine's in the middle)

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 9, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
G/fs with DRZ400SMs are the best girlfriends :3:

the_reject
May 30, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

ARYAN STEEL (in the transmission output flange, not the jap crap socket extension)
Yeah, those flange nuts are bastards. Go impact on 'em, show 'em who's boss.

And then there's the fun part of pulling the tapered press-fit flange off the shaft to deal with. Oh, and make sure you re-install the flange dry and un-oiled, or the hydraulic pressure will split the flange.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

old german bikes are tough on tools

How the gently caress did you manage to do that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Blaster of Justice posted:

How the gently caress did you manage to do that?

which one? first one i was straightening a US handlebar from a bmw /2 using a lovely vise, i decided the thing to do was just to use a big pvc pipe to get more leverage on the vise tightening bolt. handlebar survived (still bent), vise didn't. second one was me tightening the output flange on a /6 bmw transmission, using a torque wrench and a 15/16 socket and a 3/8" short socket extension. made it to 130ft-lb or so before the socket extension got up and went home. got a new 1/2" deep socket and made it to 180ft-lb safely.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Happiness is a full truck

Exstasy is free bikes

When Wasilla tells you to clean up your yard, you have some work to do...anyway, my friend James was needing to clean up his yard some so he offered these bikes up. otherwise they were going to the dump. I had to perform a bike rescue, it was my solemn duty.

The old Yamaha thumper, basically the ur-XT, was one he accidently hooked up to a 12V battery charger. Zot. I hope to have it running before summer begins in earnest, and plan to use it as a trail bike.

Unless I can fing this fuel tank!

The CB350 is a heroic story and no way is that bike going to the dump. It was early on a January morning and James was riding the bike home after finishing up a shift outside on the docks at the port of Anchorage. The ambient temps were roughly 0 to -10ºF and he was rolling across the flats whne he noticed the bike losing power. This concerned him somewhat as it was after midnight and cold and dark and cell phones were for the rich and connected, not for a working man riding a bike home in January after working outside all day-the man is a Viking from his red hair to the boot he'd put up Odin's rear end if he got crosswise with him-and since he didn't have any good alternative, he kept riding it. It carried him home, where he found a hole in the piston. I do have the rest of the bike, having carted it home last week.

I think that level of loyalty deserves a restore. It should be a nice project for next winter.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 19, 2010

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I just made either the best buy ever or a crippling money pit of a mistake, but I don't care because it will be a crippling classic british money pit of a mistake.

I can't find my camera cable but wiki commons has a picture of the exact model and colour;

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

This is going to be the best summer ever.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
War against the gas leaks continues. The more I mess with it the worse it gets. Now gas just pours out of the seam where the float bowl gaskets are when I put it on the sidestand. :(

The funny thing is that I've managed to fix a host of other problems (floats way off, carb sync, crack in airbox, etc) while trying to fix this problem and it woke the bike right up. Performance is awesome and its much smoother.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

I just made either the best buy ever or a crippling money pit of a mistake, but I don't care because it will be a crippling classic british money pit of a mistake.

I can't find my camera cable but wiki commons has a picture of the exact model and colour;

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

This is going to be the best summer ever.

Is that a 2-stroke, or some sort of crazy side-valve design?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Phat_Albert posted:

Is that a 2-stroke, or some sort of crazy side-valve design?

Late 60's BSA Bantam 175cc 2-smoke. Mine has a fishtail exhaust :D

Edit: I've just been reading a scan of an original manual for the bike, more modern bikes should be fitted with Carburetor "Tickler"s;

Birmingham Small Arms Company posted:

If the engine is quite cold, depress the carburetter tickler momentarily. Note that it
is neither necessary nor desirable to oscillate the tickler rapidly, as this may damage
the float. Close the carburetter air control, thus giving a rich mixture for starting (see
page 19).

I don't know about 'neither necessary nor desirable'. When my unit is cold I prefer the rider to give it a brisk tickle to warm it up before we get motoring...

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 19, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

When my unit is cold I prefer the rider to give it a brisk tickle to warm it up before we get motoring...

:wotwot:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Does oil get moldy?

I changed the oil in the XT500 and the stuff that came out was stringy and nasty, it looked not just dirty but diseased almost.

I put some oil down the cylinder, and maybe got carried away. I got a brief burst of running out of it, and some signs of smoky combustion, but the plug oil fouls after a couple of kicks. Tomorrow I'll get a couple of new ones so I can ruin them also.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Gave up on the float bowl gaskets I had because I was only making the leak worse loving around with them. I decided to buy some rubber fibre gasket material yesterday and spent an hour making gaskets.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Gaskets work, or at least the two I bothered to put in before a riding buddy came over. The gas leak has slowed to a trickle from the float bowls still using the old gaskets.

I compared the gaskets I bought from eBay to the original ones and I think I got the wrong type of gaskets. All the good kits seem to come with the black rubber fibre type, and the originals were the same. The ones I got from eBay were a paper type. That'll teach me to be cheap.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnomad posted:

Does oil get moldy?

I doubt it, but if there any contaminants in the oil (like water) I suppose that could get moldy.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Gnomad posted:

Does oil get moldy?

I changed the oil in the XT500 and the stuff that came out was stringy and nasty, it looked not just dirty but diseased almost.

I put some oil down the cylinder, and maybe got carried away. I got a brief burst of running out of it, and some signs of smoky combustion, but the plug oil fouls after a couple of kicks. Tomorrow I'll get a couple of new ones so I can ruin them also.

did someone use RTV on the bike? OH god do I hate RTV.... and that's what it comes out like.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Update with pictures (crossposted to the bike buying thread (with apologies to Mr. Cash and Sting);

Early one morning, with time to kill,
I rode my bike northwards, and into the hills.
I saw an old Beezer, down a small lane.
I stoppied my sumo, and stopp'd I became.

I should've kept riding, but wallet in hand,
A cry rang out, across the land.
"Don't buy an old Beezer, it's most likely dead."
I hung my head, I hung my head.

The '76 is a typo, the owner is an old boy and he is not good with computers (oh god how did this get here?!). It's actually a '66.

Running order with a new set of tires at the end of the summer. Three owners since the bike was imported new in 1966, it has never lived more than 6 miles away from the original dealers, who are still running and have been running continuously since 1908.

And I paid the asking price. These are going for £500-£800 in the UK right now.

Here on the forums, the goons were all there,
I see the mod, High up in his chair,
"Explain to the forum, what went through your mind,
and we'll ask the asylum, what verdict they find."

I felt the power, of having no wife.
I emptied my wallet, gave up social life.
I pray for goons mercy, 'cause soon I'll be dead.
I hung my head, I hung my head.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 25, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ReelBigLizard posted:

[i]

Yes the '76 was obviously a typo. Birmingham Small Arms Company stopped producing the Bantam in '71 or '72. It's a really neat little 2-stroke. You're a very lucky man. Not that I would really advise it, but it's loving easy to tune a Bantam. With a bit of patience and a Dremel, you can easily get 18-20 Hp.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
You can't beat a nice looking classic bike for $700 (or whatever the exchange rate is these days). We would have held you to account had you not bought it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Yes the '76 was obviously a typo. Birmingham Small Arms Company stopped producing the Bantam in '71 or '72. It's a really neat little 2-stroke. You're a very lucky man. Not that I would really advise it, but it's loving easy to tune a Bantam. With a bit of patience and a Dremel, you can easily get 18-20 Hp.

After looking into it, I'm considering a minor tune to get it up to the D14 spec power wise as I'm not the most svelte individual (read: lardy twat). There is a company that does a neato drop in piston upgrade set with new gaskets and shims to adjust the compression, bulks it out to a heady 184cc and just nudges it over the mythical 10HP mark.

I tried to convince myself that I would leave it all stock and just run it in normal trim 'til the wheels fall off but that's a lot of bollocks and I know it. I'm a tinkerer and a tuner by nature and I'm already found an upswept trial exhaust, springer seat, coil-outside shocks and possibly a Bultaco trials front end. This is going to be my wrenching bike, and I am going to make it my own.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ReelBigLizard posted:

I tried to convince myself that I would leave it all stock and just run it in normal trim 'til the wheels fall off but that's a lot of bollocks and I know it. I'm a tinkerer and a tuner by nature and I'm already found an upswept trial exhaust, springer seat, coil-outside shocks and possibly a Bultaco trials front end. This is going to be my wrenching bike, and I am going to make it my own.

I've tuned a Bantam for a friend three decades ago. gently caress the 184cc kit and honing. Invest in a new(er) carburetor, preferably a Dell'Orto 22 mm. A 22-24 mm. Keihin might do too. Then pray to your Gods that I'm able to find the port diagrams I used 26 years ago. To give you an idea of what to expect: the Kawasaki KH125 was the tits of small displacement 2-strokes back in the mid '80s. The Bantam smoked it like nothing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
My old man restored a 1950 Bantam. It is quite the experience to ride. The forks can move independently so the front wheel tilts and rubs the inside of the fender if you are turning a bit to fast for it. It leaves behind a smokescreen because it runs a fuel/oil mix so rich in oil that you usually only see it used on weedwhackers.

My old man is not the best example of ATGATT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

helno posted:

My old man is not the best example of ATGATT

Pretty good example of :krad: though.

Those bikes have a hell of a lot of charm. Would definitely be awesome to have something similar to tool around town on.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

helno posted:

It leaves behind a smokescreen because it runs a fuel/oil mix so rich in oil that you usually only see it used on weedwhackers.

My 66' YDS also burns a poo poo load of two stroke oil and it was explained to me that because oil sucked so bad back then most bikes were setup to run a 20:1 ratio. Today you could get away with north of 40:1 without problems if your two stroke oil is good. The manual recommends a nice straight 30 weight motor oil :black101:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I've tuned a Bantam for a friend three decades ago. gently caress the 184cc kit and honing. Invest in a new(er) carburetor, preferably a Dell'Orto 22 mm. A 22-24 mm. Keihin might do too. Then pray to your Gods that I'm able to find the port diagrams I used 26 years ago. To give you an idea of what to expect: the Kawasaki KH125 was the tits of small displacement 2-strokes back in the mid '80s. The Bantam smoked it like nothing.

Praying to Cthulhu and N'yarlathotep as we speak.

I've found an Amal 22mm concentric for a decent price, the Dell'Ortos seem harder to find. Some of the bantam race tuning guides even suggest >30mm barrels. Would a flatslide be of benefit here?

helno posted:

Vintage beardy rad-dad.
:coal:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ReelBigLizard posted:

Praying to Cthulhu and N'yarlathotep as we speak.

I've found an Amal 22mm concentric for a decent price, the Dell'Ortos seem harder to find. Some of the bantam race tuning guides even suggest >30mm barrels. Would a flatslide be of benefit here?

:coal:

A 30mm would choke it. The Amal is decent, I kind of forgot about it. 22-24mm is what you should be aiming for.

Regarding flatsides, it's loving hard to tell. In my experience they tend to react too quickly and feed you lean for small displacement two strokes. Z3n has another opinion and experience. You might want to ask him too.

I don't think it'll matter that much though, as long as you aim for a venturi in the 22-24mm range. Port heights and piston skirt shape are pretty much all that matters besides exhaust expansion chamber and restriction pipe. Your exhaust looks fine to me, and standard was fine, for what we did.

My old drawings are located. They're at my parents place. Expect an update this weekend. Cthulhu and N'yarlathotep might have listened in, but you really should consider Odin, Tyr and Thor as replacements. Much more :black101:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Regarding flatsides, it's loving hard to tell. In my experience they tend to react too quickly and feed you lean for small displacement two strokes. Z3n has another opinion and experience. You might want to ask him too.

Being a curious soul I have been learning me some carb technology. I think you're right about the flatslides. While they have definite advantages in low openings and response time, at wide throttle openings there likely won't be the turbulence and vacuum strength enough to pull the requisite fuel into the wee bantam. I don't need the 'on-off' like throttle curve either, I have a KTM for that. I think I'll pick up the Amal (£72 sounds pretty reasonabe).

quote:

Your exhaust looks fine to me, and standard was fine, for what we did.

I think I'm going to swap the header for the high-level one (I prefer the look) but it shouldn't make a difference to the performance, they look to be identical in length. The PO has a spare (non fishtail) silencer too so I can always mix and match and see what happens.

quote:

Much more :black101:

My gods could eat your gods :cthulhu:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Now, let's come out with this first: I don't have any experience with 2 stroke carburation besides playing with my friend's RD350 quite a bit.

What I can say is that flatslides, when set up and tuned correctly, give you absolute control over what the carb is doing. It doesn't get any simpler than you simply directly lifting the slide yourself. Most modern flatslides have accelerator pumps which completely do away with the issue of them running lean when you slap the throttle.

The throttle response is, bar none, the best I've ever had on any motorcycle. Custom tuned CBR600RR racebikes with built engines, brand new R6s with drive by wire, I have yet to ride a bike that responds the way a properly tuned flatslide does. You can whack the throttle, the bike wheelies and doesn't bog, you can roll on smoothly and progressively. They're fantastic. They give you excellent feedback and control over what's going on because you control exactly how they feed in the air and gas.

Now, do they belong on every motorcycle? No. I'm sure there is a point where you could get the throttle control on a FI bike as good as a set of flatslides, there's other things to think about besides throttle response, but nothing I have ridden ever compares to a bike with a properly set up pair of flatslides. Many of them have been very good and gotten close, but none of them have ever got that dead on response feel.

They also run flatslides on the 125 2 stroke racebikes, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the size against the carb technology. It's a carb, it delivers fuel, when it's correctly configured it's going to work on any size engine. The only downside that I've found to running the flatslides is they can be a little to a lot more fuel hungry. Besides that, they're the preferred carbs for people who are looking for responsive throttles and more power. If you pair the appropriately sized carb with the bike, I can't see why you'd have any issues running a flatslide.

All of this is just here as a counterpoint. Opinions are like assholes, blah blah blah, and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures and videos of you building the bike up. I can't honestly say if I would choose to run a flatslide on that bike unless I had some form of baseline for it, because just like any other carb out there, if you gently caress up the setup it'll be miserable and you'll hate life or be spending a bunch of money on dyno time. On a 2 stroke where being lean is a Big Deal™, it may not be the best choice.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 27, 2010

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
There's confusion here between plunger, roundslide, flatslide, and cv style carbs.

CV style carbs have a vacuum actuated slide. That slide can by cylindrical, flat, or some hybrid.

Flat slides have tradtionally had problems at small throttle openings, and during transitions because they don't have a large flat area to develop a smooth flow under or a cutaway.

Many, many bikes have the hybrid slides with a small round plunger with wings on it, this provides most of the benifits of a flatslide carb, without the transition problems.

I"ll just call them VM carbs, where your throttle cable is attached directly to the slide. Those carbs provide the most direct control between your desire, and what the engine does. This can be both a benifit an a problem.

Flatslides work well on small displacement motors. Hell my RM and WR both have flatslides. And if you want to get technical, so do a lot of mopeds. :-)

roundslides are just a hell of a lot more forgiving, and give you less top end.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There's that variable melocity again!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the information, everyone. At least it's a bit more civilised than the Questions thread.

I'll definitely consider a flatslide at some point, but not until I have the bike running sweet as a nut with the Amal or similar. I'm curious, and a quick search did not yeild an immediate answer, how is the accelerator pump powered on a flatslide?

Properly set up and considered flatslides are clearly a performance advantage, which you could say is 'better'. It isn't everyone's idea of 'better' though. I want this bike to be a counterpoint to my KTM 690, which is like having your nerve endings wired into the throttle response. Riding it is to be constantly working the bike; with the BSA I want a bike to wrench and enjoy the scenery on*.

*and also possibly the female company, the 690 is like a big orange cockblocking machine.

;-* "You'll have to take me for a ride on your motorbike"
:) "yeah, I'm sure I put the footpegs somewhere. Do you have some padded trousers and a tight grip?"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Thanks for the information, everyone. At least it's a bit more civilised than the Questions thread.

I'll definitely consider a flatslide at some point, but not until I have the bike running sweet as a nut with the Amal or similar. I'm curious, and a quick search did not yeild an immediate answer, how is the accelerator pump powered on a flatslide?

There's a lever attached to the circular part of the carb that the throttle cables attach to...when you slap the throttle, it moves a diaphragm that creates vacuum and forces fuel out of the float bowl and sprays it directly into the intake. If you open it more slowly, the diaphragm never creates enough vacuum to pull the fuel through the passageway.

quote:

Properly set up and considered flatslides are clearly a performance advantage, which you could say is 'better'. It isn't everyone's idea of 'better' though. I want this bike to be a counterpoint to my KTM 690, which is like having your nerve endings wired into the throttle response. Riding it is to be constantly working the bike; with the BSA I want a bike to wrench and enjoy the scenery on*.

*and also possibly the female company, the 690 is like a big orange cockblocking machine.

;-* "You'll have to take me for a ride on your motorbike"
:) "yeah, I'm sure I put the footpegs somewhere. Do you have some padded trousers and a tight grip?"

You just need to find a girl who's...wired...the right way. Vibey single, ya know.

And a well set up flatslide shouldn't be snatchy or harsh either...but I don't know if I have the most reasonable expectation of what "throttle response" should be like. I like that instant response on all of my bikes, regardless of their intended purpose, it's a throttle, it should respond when you twist it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

There's a lever attached to the circular part of the carb that the throttle cables attach to...when you slap the throttle, it moves a diaphragm that creates vacuum and forces fuel out of the float bowl and sprays it directly into the intake. If you open it more slowly, the diaphragm never creates enough vacuum to pull the fuel through the passageway.

Aha, that makes sense. Thanks.

quote:

You just need to find a girl who's...wired...the right way. Vibey single, ya know.

She'd need to be wired for S&M with the seat on the SMC, especially the "passenger" section. I'm just not that lucky.

quote:

And a well set up flatslide shouldn't be snatchy or harsh either...but I don't know if I have the most reasonable expectation of what "throttle response" should be like. I like that instant response on all of my bikes, regardless of their intended purpose, it's a throttle, it should respond when you twist it.

And when I have money to buy one, and more importantly time to spend loving with it, I'll try a flatslide. But until then, the standard Amal carbs are the known quantity, the bantam/amal combo is so ubiquitous that most dealers can set them up near enough dead-on for you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

And when I have money to buy one, and more importantly time to spend loving with it, I'll try a flatslide. But until then, the standard Amal carbs are the known quantity, the bantam/amal combo is so ubiquitous that most dealers can set them up near enough dead-on for you.

Yeah, that's what I'd do, honestly. There's nothing I hate more than tuning carbs, the SV and the DRZ just have the advantage of having known setups so they're essentially plug and play.

You should post a thread about your bike :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
^^ Will do ^^

Ok, the first thing that is getting attention is the carb, pilot jet must be clogged. Still motors on a bit of choke though.

Second thing is brakes. The front brake is practically ornimental and the back will lock if you so much as look at it too hard.

Then clutch, sweet Jesus, the clutch.

Other than that the first test ride was :catdrugs: awesome.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
My daughter tells me "Dad, you need a 12 step program"

I tell her that I can stop any time I want, maybe this one will be the last

No, it's not running, what do you want for $300?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For 300$ I'd buy it even though it's a guzzi ;)

What's wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm guessing that there is no spark, the fact that the coils are in a bag leads me to conclude that the DPO's had a no spark issue and were unfamiliar with Marelli electrics. I made sure the engine turned over before I bought it. It's in good shape and complete, that seat has to go.

• Locked thread