Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

ManicJason posted:

After splintering the shaft of my lovely goalie stick, I found this stick for $150 at my pro shop. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but holy crap is the weight difference from my old $40 stick huge.

That's an awesome deal, nice find.

I found a used One95 at my local Play It Again Sports for $75. Uh, yes please. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

titanium posted:

I tried on the One100's today and I'll be buying them after I get back from Japan in the end of May.

The One95's I'm selling are size 9 standard width skates on the inner lip it says "10.5" because thats the US shoe size which fits it. Personally it'd be best if you wear exactly a 10. They've only been baked once in the shops Nike/Bauer oven. They just dropped in price down to $350 so whatever you thinks reasonable.
I wear a 10.5 in Vans, which I think traditionally is a half size big, a 9 in my tour redlines, and a 9D(?) in Reebok 3k's (standard sizing?). this might be perfect especially considering you want to hold on to them until may-June!

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
How often do you guys go through sticks? I picked up a 3-pack of SherWood 9950s on clearance for $70, probably... mid 2008, and haven't broken the first one yet. I usually only play once a week, twice tops. Probably just lucky I guess, but now that I've said something, I'll snap two this Weds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have one Luongo Panthers pro-return that I don't use anymore because the handle is all splinters, plus the stick is loving blue yellow and red. Other than that my sticks last a REALLY long time.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
When I'm playing as much as I like (3-4 times a week with AAA players or better, for the most part) I probably go through them once a month or so and I'm using this stick. But then again I'm real picky with my sticks and once they start to crack or the stiffness comes out of them I replace them so I rarely use them to the point they break.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Rick Grimes posted:

How often do you guys go through sticks? I picked up a 3-pack of SherWood 9950s on clearance for $70, probably... mid 2008, and haven't broken the first one yet. I usually only play once a week, twice tops. Probably just lucky I guess, but now that I've said something, I'll snap two this Weds.

It seems like my sticks last about 9 months to a year. Once the paddle starts to split, I'll designate that stick as a backup and get a new stick. I normally go for Sherwood 9950's and I never slam my sticks into the post or anything like that. I should probably retape them more often, but it's so hot and dry here anyway that it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Edit: I'm playing about 1-2 times per week right now and sometimes I'll get on the ice three times in a week, but I'm normally not that fortunate.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 25, 2010

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Playing three times a week, mine usually last about 2-3 months. My last one broke when I took a slap shot to the handle of the stick. Fucker broke clean in half.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Preface by saying I play roller and deck, but I play twice a week normally, and I actually sold the stick I used for years to a buddy of mine (since it was black and yellow) it was an old Koho Revolution. I have a 3 pack of RBK 4k's that will probably last me years.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Just got home from my dad's tournament in Canada, his team got wrecked all three games but the guy running it (who also works for Brian's) walks into the locker room with a brand new set of Brian's Dx3 leg pads to give to my dad. I guess after 20 years of participating and having the worst leg pads, they decided my old man deserved them more than the other goalies. (My dad is mulling retiring from goal so I guess I'll be using them more. Win?)

Guess they're an 07 or 08 model or something like that from what I looked up, they seem like a decent pad. Anybody here have previous experience with the DX series?

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
I've been using the same stick since I started playing goal in '01. It is beyond mangled but I can't bring myself to stop using it.

So 8 and 1/2 years :v:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
So far I love the SWO stick. I let in one off of it where I probably should have used a center shift and absorbed the shot, but otherwise my rebound control was noticeably better and puck-handling was way easier. The stick is ridiculously loud which is awesome when signalling expiring penalties and just weird every other time.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

ManicJason posted:

So far I love the SWO stick. I let in one off of it where I probably should have used a center shift and absorbed the shot, but otherwise my rebound control was noticeably better and puck-handling was way easier. The stick is ridiculously loud which is awesome when signalling expiring penalties and just weird every other time.
Do you mean SWD?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

That or I just invented a new brand of stick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just wanted to post in here and say I taught Halak everything he knows :smug:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
So he's been lights out because you taught him the art of studying papparazzi tapes of a shirtless Carey Price reclining by the pool?

What a long way to make a gay joke. And it's not even that funny <:mad:>

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What can I tell you. I get results!

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

Anyone looking to get rid of a decent chest protector? My lovely Vaughn failed me.

Observe:

I do like the fact that the roller puck is clearly outlined. It's making for an interesting bruise, and my collarbone is real sore.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

brosef deluxe posted:

Anyone looking to get rid of a decent chest protector? My lovely Vaughn failed me.

Observe:

I do like the fact that the roller puck is clearly outlined. It's making for an interesting bruise, and my collarbone is real sore.

I don't think a different chest protector is going to take care of that. You need a throat guard to get coverage that high, either a dangler or a bibbed collar (or both). I can personally recommend Maltese for the latter. It's saved me a couple of bruises in that area.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

brosef deluxe posted:

Observe:

Which C/A are you using, but like Hazed_Red noted, a bibbed throat guard will be your best to get better coverage in that area.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Thats what convinced me to get this C/A for roller. I caught a couple in the same area at the end of last season, enough to actually cut me open, and I had had it with my old lovely one. Its got a built in neck guard, and for me, the shoulder floaters seem to go high enough that I really don't have a problem. I don't wear a dangler, however, but I've had no problems so far with this C/A.

Cool thing about the one I got was I found a 10% discount coupon, so I got the thing for like $170 shipped, which is pretty solid, I think, for a C/A that good.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've been working a lot on my general skating and it seems to be helping, though I was having trouble losing my edge when I was turning on certain drills, so I decided to try out the Flat Bottom V sharpening and asked for the equivalent of 1/2". It seemed to help with turning, glide length, and digging in on T-pushes, I think it was better than a standard 1/2" sharpening, but it's hard for me to say after only 1 use. I did have problems with shuffeling. Other goalies seem to prefer the FBV sharpening for shuffling, but even when my skats are dull, I am never that great at shuffling and always end up doing inline style shuffles or C-cuts for short movements/adjustments, so other goalies may have a better feel for how FBV compares to standard sharpening for shuffling.

As for the skills session last night, I played pretty well. I did get sick halfway through, Spaghetti before hockey is always a terrible idea for me, but I was able to return to the ice and keep up a high level of play. I made some remarkable glove saves, including one where I butterfly slid across the crease and made a nice glove save against my friend. I did feel like my butterflying was off, I kept on dropping with my legs spread out wide and ended up needing to use my stick, often in paddle down, to cover the 5-hole. I wasn't trying to do that, but I need to focus on butterflying the next time I was on the ice. I also had poor rebound control, so I would make the first save and often the second save, but I couldn't gain control of the puck, which eventually led to goals. I am also gaining more confidence in my skating and stickhandling, so I am starting to venture out of the crease more to play the puck. The results were a bit mixed, but the fact that I am even trying to do that now is a big change for me.

Edit: It looks like, my skates must have been sharpened at 100/75, which is the equivalent to a 1/2" - 3/8" hollow. It looks like if I try this type of sharpening again, I should go with 90/75, which works out to about a 5/8" hollow. The FBV does seem to run sharper than the equivalent rounded hollow, which explains why I was able to get so much bite and be able to really dig into the ice on T-pushes.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 28, 2010

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

I'm using this Vaughn 5000(?) C/A, I believe it's from 2004 or so. I got it for $50, and while it's comfortable and EXTREMELY mobile, the protection is exactly jack poo poo.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Badass Tour C/A
I've used a couple of Tour Goalie Pieces and hated them with a passion. Tour's legpads, glove, and blocker are literally the worst things. Have you used it for ice? I'm trying seriously to make the transition from roller to ice.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

brosef deluxe posted:

I've used a couple of Tour Goalie Pieces and hated them with a passion. Tour's legpads, glove, and blocker are literally the worst things. Have you used it for ice? I'm trying seriously to make the transition from roller to ice.

My tour blocker stains my hand :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brosef if you ever buy another C/A I will take that Vaughn off your hands in a split second.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Brosef if you ever buy another C/A I will take that Vaughn off your hands in a split second.
Marty, that's a photo I found off the internet. Mine is significantly less-clean, and more ripped and lovely. If I do purchase another set, it's yours, but to be anywhere near nice it's going to be a project.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

That's my exact C/A. I love its mobility too, but holy crap does the protection level suck. Almost every shot to the shoulders feels like nothing's there at all. Even the bicep protection sucks.

I'm still willing to trade bruise protection for mobility. The important areas are still covered well with my setup (neck, collar bone).

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

brosef deluxe posted:

I'm using this Vaughn 5000(?) C/A, I believe it's from 2004 or so. I got it for $50, and while it's comfortable and EXTREMELY mobile, the protection is exactly jack poo poo.

That looks similar to my C/A. I have a Vaughn Legacy 6000. It offers good protection and mobility, but the protection along the side and ribs isn't the greatest and it seems like the protection along the inside of the forearm is starting to breakdown. It's still a good unit and I feel safe playing in it, but I'll admit to window shopping for a new C/A. I still haven't found anything that I like better, I want to check out some of the newer Brian's C/As since they are supposed to offer a good balance between protection and mobility. At least there's a goalie show coming up on May 16th, so I should hopefully be able to try on a couple different C/As and see if anything out there is good enough to justify an upgrade.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

brosef deluxe posted:

I had a bunch of Tour gear when I first started playing, and yeah it all fuckin blows. I have not used this one for ice though, but I feel like it'd probably be OK, for some ice, depending on the competition. I mean I'm getting a ball or roller puck, so its hard to compare, but it doesn't hurt me at all. For what I'm playing, it's well above what I'd need.

Mobility has been a bit tougher with this thing, but I think it's more stiff plastic than anything else. As I've been using it it's been loosening up a bit. However, I've been having problems with some of the lower arm straps staying secure.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
So who can tell me how to play like Halak did this series? .977? Are you loving kidding me?

vvv btw I know everyone rags on you all the time but man I feel bad for you at the moment haha

aejix fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 29, 2010

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

aejix posted:

So who can tell me how to play like Halak did this series? .977? Are you loving kidding me?

Anyone have any historical precedence with this? This has to be the highest save % I've seen in a series.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

mcvey posted:

Anyone have any historical precedence with this? This has to be the highest save % I've seen in a series.

For a single playoff year, from 1918 to 2009, primary career position G, requiring Save Percentage >= .95 and Games Played >= 4, sorted by descending Games Played.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

They both lost :psyduck:

(Edit: The series)

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Heh, I remember that Turco series. It was the year after he flamed out of the playoffs in miraculous fashion (not for the first time) and was labeled a playoff choker. He came in, played out of his loving mind but his team was so offensively inept that anytime he couldn't post a shutout they lost, it was actually really really sad to watch that effort go to waste.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got on the ice today and while I am very happy with my improved skating and stickhandling, I am still having problems with playing too deep in the crease and my butterfly is really regressing. I am trying to challenge more, but it seems like regardless of how far I come out and challenge I always end up halfway into the crease. It's a hard habbit to break and I just need to actively focus on my crease depth at the time of the save. The other issue that I am having is that my butterfly has devolved into me dropping into the "splits" and then trying to use my paddle to cover my gaping 5-hole. There's a time and a place for that for that save selection, but I'm giving up way too many goals that even a narrow giggy-fly would have stopped.

Going back to stick handling, I'm not sure what's clicked with me. I'm still not a great shooter or passer, but I am more confident receiving passes, I am starting to get loft on the puck more consistently, and I finally feel comfortable venturing out of the crease to play the puck. I even had a play where the skater was charging at a loose puck in front of the net, but I was able to quickly bounce it off the boards behind the net and get the puck out of harms way. It's nice to start seeing an element of my game develop that I didn't really have before.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 3, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh god. Humid garage + bag you forgot to open + three week stretch with no hockey.

No amount of airing out will fix it this time :argh:

On the upside I can just take everything out to the garden, drench it in chlorine or diluted bleach or something else, and hose it down.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Martytoof posted:

Oh god. Humid garage + bag you forgot to open + three week stretch with no hockey.

On the upside I can just take everything out to the garden, drench it in chlorine or diluted bleach or something else, and hose it down.

Your friend:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/177-1555235-7759355?asin=B0035A30WM&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=%7CB0035A30WM&CPNG=home&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

This is why I have a vented bag. Even in the trunk it manages to not completely stink.

Also, my game yesterday we won in OT, my backup goalie with the hattie to win the game. First goal I gave up I was pissed since I though I had it in my gear, ref never blew it dead, it rolled behind me and got stuffed in.

I did stop a penalty shot late in the game with it tied though, which I was psyched about. The guy went to my bread and butter, glove side low, and I was all over it.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Aniki posted:

I am trying to challenge more, but it seems like regardless of how far I come out and challenge I always end up halfway into the crease. It's a hard habbit to break and I just need to actively focus on my crease depth at the time of the save.

Last night I sent TWO 5-hole shots over my shoulder into the top corner of the net instead of into the corner/out of play because I was too deep in my crease. Thank goodness we won 8-4.

The third goal came through a screen and beat me blocker side, which I can live with. The fourth was hilarious though - It came through another screen and I never saw it. After the goal, two of my players came up and said "Hey sorry it went off me". They were right - Ones skate, then the others shinguard, then the back of the net :smith:

And my ankle is finally back to 80% or so and I'm moving almost as good as I was before I got hurt. There's still a little swelling where my shin meets the top of my foot that I need to get gone so I can get that last little bit of mobility back, which should hopefully happen by my next game.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

My full right glove and blocker came in today, and the difference between the 4.8 stuff and my RX7 stuff is pretty stark. The blocker is a bit skimpier in general. The glove seems bigger, but just doesn't feel right. I need to do some break in on the glove, and give the stuff a shot at some point. Maybe in a few warmups I'll try em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't found a single Fabreeze product that didn't smell like poo poo to me. To the point where I'd almost rather just deal with stagnant hockey smell. I'll have to try and find this though. Took everything out back and hosed it down. Got rid of most of the nasty :q:

• Locked thread