Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

qa6 posted:

Before you know it, years will have slipped by.

That's just as loving depressing as having a substance abuse problem. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That's just as loving depressing as having a substance abuse problem. :v:

Oh yes. I don't hold anything against the people who stay in corporate jobs for decades, because they're a stable, familiar environment and let you get on with living and raising a family and so on. But if you aren't settled, holy cow is it scary to look ahead and see yourself spending the next 10 or 20 years doing the same goddamn thing every day.

I'm already looking for other jobs, and gave myself a cutoff date this August for leaving here. It's a nice place, I work with friendly people but I can't take the thought of letting any more time go by with nothing to show for it.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

I would have left a lot sooner, but I got cancer two years into the job, which basically trapped me because I couldn't risk losing my health insurance and nobody else is likely to hire me when they find out. Yes yes, medical privacy laws, discrimination laws etc, but sooner or later during the interview process you're going to have to mention that you need flexible hours and/or time off every third week, and watch that offer disappear like magic.

The cancer's gone now but I'm still on maintenance chemo so I know I'm stuck in this job until that's over. Once it is, I'll be out of this shithole so fast they'll just see a blur go past with a huge grin on top.

I never worked corporate before and I can't wait to never work it again.

Edit: the only reason I can get away with flexible hours right now is because the rest of my department covers for me on the days I need to leave half an hour early to get to a treatment and so far upper management hasn't found out. :(

Humanoid Female fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 24, 2010

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

KevinCow posted:

I've had a corporate job for about a month now, and I have just one question for those of you who have been doing it for years: How have you not shot yourself yet? I can already feel it draining my soul away.
It helps if you don't define your life by your day job.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KevinCow posted:

I've had a corporate job for about a month now, and I have just one question for those of you who have been doing it for years: How have you not shot yourself yet? I can already feel it draining my soul away.

The secret is to hopefully have a higher paycheck there than you would elsewhere.

If not here, I'd be in academia. Would my research be more interesting? Probably. Would I write less memos and talk less about stepping forward into new paradigms of ISO readiness? Probably.

Would I make less than half my current salary? Absolutely.

The job pays for what I do outside of work, and my hours really aren't bad. I spend very little time at work compared to what I see some people saying (I probably do 35 hours a week roughly). That's how I justify it. I deal with dumbasses and buzzwords for 35 hours a week, and the sun's still up when I leave. I'm paying off my loans at a pretty good speed, and that's the important thing right now.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I worked in healthcare management for several years. I started entry level, worked my way up, wound up with a nicely windowed office with a great view of the Texas Medical Center, 100-odd employees, reasonable budget, etc. I had everything I'd dreamed of having in a job since high school.

I also had to regularly keep myself from going up several floors to the helipad and either leaping off or shooting people. Health care in general is broken, but management was a whole different kind of broken. Cronyism, politicking, short-sightedness, and an endless litany of other bullshit absolutely killed it for me. Then they outsourced my boss's level positions, and when I met and offered a handshake to my new boss, the cocksucking gently caress blew me off, sat down at his desk, and started reading whatever he was working on. loving son of a bitch. He had some irrational dislike for me, as I was a hard worker and regularly stayed until late in the evening to get poo poo done. I'd been promoted to my position faster than anyone in recent memory. But this fuckrag refused to work with me in any reasonable fashion, and after a year or so started trying to write me up for poo poo that never happened. I wound up getting terminated, so I got a lawyer and sued him and the hospital. I ended up winning my suit with very minimal effort, because I documented everything and he didn't have anything at his back except the endless stream of bullshit that flowed from his mouth. I got a good settlement, and he was out of a job a few months later when I called a former coworker there to see how things were going.

Goddamn, almost 10 years on and I'd still murder that cocksucker on sight.

Anyway, gently caress corporate. I'm a nurse now and it's 100X better than management could ever be.

GoofyLM
Aug 3, 2007

Anal sex is teh sex of teh future
I'm pretty certain they're trying to replace me. That's ok, I have two soft offers from the area I'm moving to (one of which will allow me to go to school), earning 4-5x as much.

Downside? I'd be going from this shithole of 6 employees where even though I put up with any and all corporate sounding bullshit out there ("Operations Manager" was a former corporation suckdick) there is still the firm understanding that some poo poo just won't work without me, to a much larger company. It's why they're trying to "secretly" train the customer service guy in what I do. Because listening to me oversimplify programming concepts to a register jockey is almost the same thing as having years of experience.

I'm slightly afraid of what the big bad corporate world has for me, but who knows. Maybe when I actually earn what my job is worth and have days off I won't hate my life as much.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pretty much this. I went to lunch at 10 AM. I haven't done anything since then. I fully intend to go home and drink my liver stupid even though I work tomorrow (in an empty office).

I worked for a company years ago that had two entire floors of its main office building empty of all people. Even the main lifts had the floor buttons blocked out with little metal squares. But the service elevator didn't. Of course, nobody from corporate would ever have dreamed of being caught dead taking the service lift - it was for the little people.

As my lab didn't have any office space beyond what we could reclaim from our benches, I decided to take over a floor.

It was freaky, yet awesome. It took a while to get used to having all that space to myself. And the stillness. I kept expecting someone to burst out at any moment telling me I was in huge trouble.

But nobody ever bothered me. Security and maintenance didn't give a poo poo as I worked for the company and nobody had ever told them the floor couldn't be used.

I had all the space and desks I could ever need to spread out all my paperwork. I could play music. I could take naps. I could invite my lab staff up and play cricket. Bring in a small fridge, and keep our lunches cool and eat them away from the creeps in the suits.

I had always planned on buying some comfy furniture and a TV from the Salvos, but left the company before I worked up the guts to trying bringing a couch in past security and reception.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Our OH&S is a joke. The people in the division just use it as a springboard to other positions in the company and really don't give a poo poo. They'll make a lot of noise, but they're always sure to never actually do anything. I learned the hard way early on that the worst thing you can ever do if you interact with OH&S is to actively try to improve health and safety for yourself and your co-workers.

It costs money! And makes you look like a troublemaker. (Are your trying to imply that the company isn't taking good care of its employees? That seems pretty disloyal)

But to focus on the 'noise' the OH&S people make, one such thing is the weekly Focus on Safety report every team has to carry out - do a task, make sure you're doing it safely, efficiently, etc with respect to the Focal Point (FP) documents that are supposed to outline how to do every task safely. Well, at least what the OH&S people think is safely.

Each week we're supposed to focus on a different area, working through the binder with all the FPs in it from start to finish. But the OH&S people are so goddamn lazy and apathetic that they've never bothered to write up specific FPs for each department. Or showing the drafts to people who do those tasks.

Which leads to two common outcomes:

1) The 'Does not apply'. Despite working in a lab, when we reach that section in the binder, we still have to write a Focus report on safely using our forklifts. Yes, because I always move samples around the lab with a loving utility vehicle.

2) The 'Do what with the what?' The OH&S people wrote their documents sitting in a meeting room, pulling poo poo out of their arses. Most have never performed the tasks they were writing on; hell, I'd wager most had never even SEEN the tasks they were writing about.

So we can have an FP for cleaning lab glassware that has detailed instructions on checking the water temp of the sink, wearing dishwashing gloves, and making sure we don't get detergent in our eyes when we pour it in like some kind of retard. But we use special dishwashers so none of that applies.

I'm too scared to point this out (so is everyone in the other departments!) because the odds are that OH&S would just take our washer away and make us start hand washing like cave people did in prehistoric times*.

Because corporate doesn't have to conform to reality. Reality has to conform to corporate :eng99:

*Or maybe, they'll give me a forklift to play with! Vroom!!!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 24, 2010

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I worked for a company years ago that had two entire floors of its main office building empty of all people. Even the main lifts had the floor buttons blocked out with little metal squares. But the service elevator didn't. Of course, nobody from corporate would ever have dreamed of being caught dead taking the service lift - it was for the little people.

As my lab didn't have any office space beyond what we could reclaim from our benches, I decided to take over a floor.

It was freaky, yet awesome. It took a while to get used to having all that space to myself. And the stillness. I kept expecting someone to burst out at any moment telling me I was in huge trouble.

But nobody ever bothered me. Security and maintenance didn't give a poo poo as I worked for the company and nobody had ever told them the floor couldn't be used.

I had all the space and desks I could ever need to spread out all my paperwork. I could play music. I could take naps. I could invite my lab staff up and play cricket. Bring in a small fridge, and keep our lunches cool and eat them away from the creeps in the suits.

I had always planned on buying some comfy furniture and a TV from the Salvos, but left the company before I worked up the guts to trying bringing a couch in past security and reception.

Haha this is pretty much me. I work Friday through Monday. On the weekends I'm the only person in the entire building. I'll blast through Pandora like I'm going deaf and used a good 3 boxes of Kleenex to bass-proof my desk and surrounding area. :P

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 25, 2010

glasnt
Feb 13, 2008
So how do we fix the system? Stab bad guys?
Corporate life is awesome! The constraining clothing, the constraining environment, and free coffee! :downs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My foray into corporate life started during university when I acquired a part-time programming role at a big corp, who I shall call BigCorp. The benefit that got me in the door without a second thought was the fact I could complete my third year project at said company and be paid for it. Compared to having to work for 6 months for nothing, this was awesome...

..until the project started. They didn't know what they wanted, how it was to be used, and the only one with any technical knowledge didn't know the company (3 part-timers there for Xp only). But this was good, because this project was going to be awesome for writing up how not to do projects...

.. until the uni assessment ended, and I was stuck supporting this project that wouldn't die. Since I was then a full-timer with more knowledge about the company/technology, I fixed it. God I fixed it. I made it awesome, all 3 of us part-time now fulltime guys were ecstatic that it finally worked.

.. til they were moved to other projects. No worries right? But then I was left on this project as the lead tech. Then the project manager was moved. Then the client was taken away. I had to support a product with no interface between myself and the users, of whom there were several, all with their own idea of what the system should be. (originally designed as a way to remove spreadsheets of forms into web-based forms, it didn't allow for the fact out of 200 worksites, each place had it's own way of doing things, which meant different spreadsheets for 100's of forms)

-_________________________________-

Now I'm in a smaller environment, were every client has their own customised system, but the company is set up to work like that, and the money the clients give us to create/customise such systems is worth our time.

And everyday without clients is casual day.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

mastersord posted:

Similar issue in my office. Outside of the mail guy, I'm the youngest person in that office. I'm IT/Programming/Software development/Technology punching bag. Where does everyone between 21 and 30 work?!

I wish they worked where I work. I'm just out of grad school and thus about 15 years younger then the youngest person in the entire organization of probably 300 people. :sigh:

Except for idle office chatter or maybe some gossip, I have essentially nothing to talk with them about because we have exactly zero common interests. I don't have kids and I don't really care what their kids do, so that's out. Movies, nope. Although I guess my co-worker is going to take his teenage son to see Iron Man 2 so I guess we could talk about that. Television? Forget it. People fondly talk about that hilarious Everybody Loves Raymond rerun they caught last night or something off Nick at Night or a really funny Jay Leno headlines joke, but if I say something like "Hey, did you watch 24 last night?" people look at me like I'm from another planet. Last year they decided to "go wild" (this was their exact quote to convince me to join in I am not making it up) and all got together to enter baked goods at the county fair, instead of one or two of them baking a pie to enter.

althe_a
Aug 26, 2009

by T. Finn
The anthem of young corporate drones all over Australia:
:nws: Moderate Coarse Language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH4Se7nyl2s

For content, I loved the fact that I would work my rear end off, be completely fair to everyone who I supervised, and was continually fixing my co-worker's mistakes whilst he was kissing up to our new manager and generally slacking off. Of course, the bonus structure was changed one month before the bonus period ended, and our bonus no longer had anything to do with our productivity, but with our attitude and, well, rear end kissing. Result? Me getting a hosed up bonus whilst my brilliantly lazy coworker got the maximum bonus.

Eh, I played the game for a few months, got promoted, and then that role was made redundant. I got a 20 grand payout and now work in a bar and do a few bits and bobs, and am having the time of my life!

Also, adding to corporatespeek:

Moving forward
Talk around the issue
Key Stakeholders

(Oh my, I think I've forgotten most of the terms that I would hear at least 12 times a day... I love my life)

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I hate the office politics but is it wrong for me to like suits and dressing "well"? A nice french cuff shirt always makes me pretty happy. Sorry :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

marketingman posted:

I hate the office politics but is it wrong for me to like suits and dressing "well"? A nice french cuff shirt always makes me pretty happy. Sorry :(

Yes, this makes you a horrible, horrible person. Those of us fighting the good battle, the battle of polo-shirts and jeans, are undermined at every turn by traitorous redcoats like you!!!

I have no idea what I just typed.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

marketingman posted:

no, it just makes you gay, that's all.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Our company was acquired by the Borg. We now had to do everything exactly as they did. Our manufacturing floor was large; 2-3 football fields of production lines, segmented off into their designated space.

The Borg policy was to not permit chairs on a manufacturing floor. "Its not as efficient!" So the chairs had to go!

Keep in mind, it was also policy that every person on the floor check their email at the start of their shift. Many computers in each production cell were available to do so, all on desks and workbenches that were at sitting height.

I pointed out that without chairs everyone would be standing at a desk, leaning over/sqatting to view their email for 15 minutes every day. Are we going to actually replace hundreds of desks and workbenches for higher, ergonomic, non-OSHA violating work stations??? Nope.

So the chairs were pulled. Did they get rid of them? Fire sale them? Throw them away? Nope.

They moved roughly 300 chairs into one of the vacant production cells. They just corralled them all up. I wish I had a picture. Imagine 3000 square feet of open space, tiled floor. Flourescent lighting above, the occasional support/IT column, with 300 chairs all pushed together.

The day shift people are pissed and mutinous, their day ends and they go home. The swing shift starts, and they are wondering why all the chairs are gone.

Whoops. No one told the swing shift people that chairs aren't allowed. The swing shift managers never gave a rats rear end about anything and didn't care. The swing shift folks find the chairs, pull them back to their work stations and get to work.

The next morning the day shift folks return and think, "Yay, our chairs are back!"

The day managers come in an hour later and fly into a "WTF! We were told that we couldn't have chairs anymore! We told you!" rage, and pull all of the chairs again.

Repeat. Seriously. The same chain of events repeated itself over the next 24 hours.

The amazing conclusion was that management relented, and our manufacturing floor was supposedly the only one in the corporation that was allowed to have chairs(This was actually a lie, every other manufacturing facility I visited had chairs, they were just out of sight, out of the way in a nonchalant fashion).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Jesus. Corporate ineptitude at its finest. :psypop:

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

I finally got a job in software engineering, which is what I've always wanted to do and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. It's not that it's a great place to work; contrasting with things on the OP about micromanaging, incompetent co-workers, etc. I just that realised none of those things exist where I work.

I just feel like I'm not born to sit in an office 9-5, even if it's a good place to work. I love software development, right from design to testing but I guess my real dream is to be my own boss and work on my own ideas instead of someone else's.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure

Miss-Bomarc posted:

It helps if you don't define your life by your day job.

I hear you brother / sister. My day job sucks but it's just a job, not who I am.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Internetjack posted:

My chairs... :negative:

Didn't have any chair-sized crates handy? :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Broken Knees Club posted:

Smaller coworkers.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Long Wang posted:

I finally got a job in software engineering, which is what I've always wanted to do and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. It's not that it's a great place to work; contrasting with things on the OP about micromanaging, incompetent co-workers, etc. I just that realised none of those things exist where I work.

I just feel like I'm not born to sit in an office 9-5, even if it's a good place to work. I love software development, right from design to testing but I guess my real dream is to be my own boss and work on my own ideas instead of someone else's.

It's possible, brother. I've been working years to do software outside of the corporate environment. Doing freelance, advising start-ups, making and selling my own software. You gotta have the drive, stick with it, network like crazy, and hire temps to do what you can't.

The problem is most software engineers are spineless and/or lazy, just wanting to be given a problem to solve without having to do all that crap of creating the problem to solve in the first place; I'm that way too, it's a constant struggle to slog through the creative bits. Realize that WE are the ones that make those fuckers ANY money, which they then piddle away, and get paid poo poo for it. They pay you salary then flip the project for millions to clients. That was the realization that mainly motivated me to do my own thing, though bullshit environment helped!

Also this thread is pretty entertaining. I remember a friend of mine was bored in a meeting so she started writing in her notebook all the buzzwords she heard, and ended up with a couple hundred by the end of the meeting, the manager was that insufferable. My favorite was "spitballing" ideas on the page. My least favorite is anyone that says they want to touch base (which is EVERYONE), stay the gently caress away from my base.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Kassoon posted:

Living the Dream

One of these days, man, one of these days. That's probably my only real goal in life, to run my own place and get those fucks to pay me fairly. Right now I probably couldn't handle it, I don't think I'm good enough at what I do.

My biggest gripe is that, at this company of less than 100 people, there are too many chiefs and not enough indians. In my department I have two bosses. And there are only four of us total. Neither of the bosses know what the hell is actually involved in drafting a catalog or building a website, apparently they exist for their "creative ideas." One boss is in charge of the other, who's then in charge of me. The only reason the second one is even a manager is because apparently first boss got tired of dealing with me.

Boss 2 lives across the country. My orders are to go through her for anything. So boss 1 wants me to do something; instead of walking down the hall and asking me, he sends an email to boss 2, 1,500 miles away. Then she forwards me the email. And that's just in our department. If someone else needs something, they'll usually ask me first. I tell them they have to talk to boss 2. She can't make decisions on her own, so she goes to boss 1, please advise, boss 1 tells her ok, boss 2 gets back to me, etc. etc. all the way back up the chain of poo poo to the original request. And neither of them have a god drat clue about how to do the job if they had to. Sad thing is it's like this throughout the whole company; the management literally outnumbers the staff by about 1.8:1

Fake edit: I had another paragraph describing what I do, but it was looking pretty long. I'm pretty pissed off and could go on and on and on.

Seeing Eye Duck
Mar 30, 2008

"I may not be able to see all the bullshit going on in here! But he can!"

DSauer posted:

What the hell is a TPS report and why do they need cover sheets?

What's this I hear about you not putting cover sheets on your TPS reports? Didn't you get the memo?

Access,and Excel. No one seems to understand how to do anything with those programs. I'm pretty sure my Manager didn't even know what he was looking at 9/10 times.

Seeing Eye Duck fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 26, 2010

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

marketingman posted:

It's only wrong if you work in an office. What are you trying to look good for, women?

entropy
Jul 19, 2003

I'm afraid I just blue and gold myself.

Baggins posted:

Ran into another one just now. Corporate math, and the magic of numbers...

My company purchase services from third-parties and sell them on as our own. Nothing unusual there. However, the math involved in calculating the margin on this is mind-boggling, even though it's relatively simple percentages.

The way it was first explained to me was that we take the price the third party gave us, add 10% for internal cost and then another 20% as margin. Should be a fairly simple calculation, yeah? Cost * 1,1 * 1,2 = Sell price. This will all in all add 32% to the cost price. Steep, but not unheard of.

Not so. When they say 20% margin, they mean that the margin should be 20% of the total sell price, so the calculation will be Cost * 1,1 / 0,8 = Sell price. This adds 37.5%, so it's a lot steeper.

But thanks to the magic of corporate math, somehow this turns into 28.5% uplift. Not 32%, not 37.5% and certainly not the 27.3% you'll get if you calculate in reverse starting from the sell price.

Where the hell do 28.5% come from?

:iiam:

I'm a page late, but you may want to look at contribution margin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contribution_margin

I didn't do the math for your case, but this may explain some of the mystery.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

marketingman posted:

It's not at all wrong to enjoy dressing well in the right context. Dressing up can be loads of fun. I think the problem a lot of us don't consider a drab office in which you work 9-5 most days of the week and never see anyone other than your coworkers to be the right context.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Torka posted:

It's not at all wrong to enjoy dressing well in the right context. Dressing up can be loads of fun. I think the problem a lot of us don't consider a drab office in which you work 9-5 most days of the week and never see anyone other than your coworkers to be the right context.

When I first started I forgot to ask what the dress code was like, so for the first couple weeks I was wearing dress shirts and nice pants because you never want to be the guy who shows up in jeans and a t-shirt when everyone else is dressed nice. I got told I was "trying too hard." Everyone else wears jeans and old navy shirts, or cargo pants and a sweatshirt or something like that, except for the managers who wear suits.

I went down a step to polo shirts and khakis, and occasionally, if I feel like going hog wild or I forget in the morning, leaving my shirt untucked. It's been years and people still tell me I dress up too much. But then again I want to get into management so I guess I thought I would try to at least look like I can look the part.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Broken Knees Club posted:

Once when I worked in a tech shop they took away our chairs, so we built ourselves massive thrones out of boxed computers.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Kassoon posted:

Also this thread is pretty entertaining. I remember a friend of mine was bored in a meeting so she started writing in her notebook all the buzzwords she heard, and ended up with a couple hundred by the end of the meeting, the manager was that insufferable. My favorite was "spitballing" ideas on the page. My least favorite is anyone that says they want to touch base (which is EVERYONE), stay the gently caress away from my base.

Let's touch base later today, I need you to ping Client X tomorrow and let her know I'll circle back circa next Friday. Let's just be sure to get this squared away before you leave, no worries if we have to have a rap session later, we can just throw our ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

:fuckoff:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Our headcount keeps shrinking and nobody has had a raise in two years. ("Economic conditions, don't you know.")

Yet we give marketing people thousands of dollars to fly to conferences and fling crap at people who are not interested in our product. Then we get left trying to explain why their conversion rate sucks.

I will never forget the meeting I had with one of them, who is a "big ideas" person who can't be bothered to learn how to get reports out of Google Analytics. She spent a lot of time saying "at the end of the day, I don't care" and "you're the experts, you tell me how it should look." All while simultaneously telling my team we didn't know our business and this page that got 10 visitors a month was absolutely worth spending a week of time on.

Management (who is naturally on the other coast and knows jack poo poo about what we do) also transferred all the IT support to an Indian subcontractor whose last project with us ran three years instead of the projected six months, replaced a live system that had been working fine for years with a heap of poo poo that still doesn't work, and whose idea of a change control system is to make the changes in production, THEN check files into source control. It takes literally hours of paperwork just to change a loving comma in their system, as three ticketing systems and five mailing lists are involved.

On the other hand, they let me work from home and the checks don't bounce.

ReverendRover
Jul 28, 2009

Man, after reading this thread, I am glad to be going in the Air Force. gently caress corporate.

My brother however, has told me many, MANY gripes about his lovely accounting job at a manufacturer of plumbing parts that shall remain nameless.

He is pretty much the only guy in his office, though they have a swedish guy called Felix that comes in drunk and programs some machines or something.
The women are all fat and literally talk about food all day. They sit there with bags of crisps, fruit, chocolate, cake, pies and sandwhiches and just graze all day whilst talking about what they will eat that night. Its gotten to the point where he is so sick of everything food related he comes home for lunch and doesn't eat, then goes fishing straight after work. He just hates cooking or anything because its all he hears and sees all day.

Also his "boss" though she's not really his boss, but is sort of senior to him and basically passes on tasks from the real boss to my bro, is a total and utter fool. She lost the company £9000 last month because she charged a client in some rediculous foreign currency instead of pounds on the invoice. She then tried to blame my brother, who turned up the paperwork that showed it was her fuckup (thankfully for his job). She then threw a pissy fit because he had a "cluttered" workspace as revenge. What was cluttering his workspace do you ask?

A photo of his girlfriend. Thats it. When her desk is swamped in food wrappers, crumbs, drinks bottles and coffee mugs.

I would rather shoot myself than work there. I could not imagine anything more miserable, no offence corp goons.

Oh, just thought of a funny one my dad told me. He used to work for a company called OPI, I think they sold beauty products. Well, he got flown over to this crazy rear end work camp thing they did in LA where, for two weeks, they sat in a conference room and chanted "O P I ROCK! O P I ROCK!" whilst some motivational speaker told them that their job was the most important thing they have ever done with their lives. They sold second-rate makeup to chemists. Though to be fair, it was an expenses paid trip to LA, four star hotel, car rental and the "sermons" (their word, not my dads) were only about four hours a day. The rest of the time he got to go and explore LA for free.
So the trade off, basically a free holiday for the price of four hours of brainwashing, cultist like speeches a day. Worth it?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I think the thing I hate most is 'Good morning.' Then I feel necessarily obligated to return the greeting and my day is shot to hell.

amapolita
Mar 18, 2007

Why can't we be friends?
The worst word you can hear in an office: outsourcing :(

There's a big loophole in our laws so every company abuse of outsourcing. You can have 3 years or more working on a company but you'll still work as an outsourcing by "firing" you and "hiring" you every 6 months and there's nothing illegal about it, in that way you never get the benefits as plant employee would get (like bonus, savings, raises, etc). You get the typical services like life insurance but that's all.

Sometimes it makes you feel like they are just playing a terrible joke on you :(

amapolita fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 26, 2010

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

Skellen posted:

I think the thing I hate most is 'Good morning.' Then I feel necessarily obligated to return the greeting and my day is shot to hell.
You can just reply "morning", which is usually more accurate.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Skellen posted:

Oh come on that's not so bad. I have sales guys calling me from time to time and going "Hey Roosevelt how's it goin bro? What have you been up to bro? Hey how's that new girl in HR, bro, I heard she's pretty hot blah blah" and I have to put up with that until we finally get to the part where they have a problem with something I did.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I'm standard salaried 8-5 Monday through Friday but had to work 10pm to 1am Saturday night to verify output for a large data fix. I had to do it because I run all projects for my department, because no one knows our procedures and how they relate to our admin systems better than I do, because two years ago every senior person in my department -- except for me -- left in the span of a month. The data fix was necessary in the first place because of a build up of dozens of misinterpretations of contractual obligations and their impact on admin system calculations over the last 10 years.

For me, this is the worst part of working corporate: lovely responsibilities inexorably dropped into my lap due to years and years of piss poor decisions and mistakes by people who probably don't even work there anymore. I've given up entirely on accountability for this kind of thing; I just wish I had a single person or department I could get irrationally angry at so I at least had something to vent about at the end of the day.

Even if I had omnipotent control over the entire company beginning today, I would still have to deal with these past mistakes for another 10 years before they were entirely shaken out.

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

fosborb posted:

I'm standard salaried 8-5 Monday through Friday but had to work 10pm to 1am Saturday night to verify output for a large data fix. I had to do it because I run all projects for my department, because no one knows our procedures and how they relate to our admin systems better than I do, because two years ago every senior person in my department -- except for me -- left in the span of a month. The data fix was necessary in the first place because of a build up of dozens of misinterpretations of contractual obligations and their impact on admin system calculations over the last 10 years.

For me, this is the worst part of working corporate: lovely responsibilities inexorably dropped into my lap due to years and years of piss poor decisions and mistakes by people who probably don't even work there anymore. I've given up entirely on accountability for this kind of thing; I just wish I had a single person or department I could get irrationally angry at so I at least had something to vent about at the end of the day.

Even if I had omnipotent control over the entire company beginning today, I would still have to deal with these past mistakes for another 10 years before they were entirely shaken out.
Do you have hiring power? Get yourself a whipping boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fosborb posted:

At a previous (thankfully summer) job I worked, long-running problems with a very small but essential system were intentional sabotage which went undiscovered for several years as my predecessors "programmed around it."

What I'm trying to say is quit without documenting it.