Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Simple enough. I didn't know if they were a viable option that I just hadn't researched enough.

Nah, they're kinda an oddball choice. I'm actually a bit surprised rossi does it, as he's pretty much the only one. But he is Rossi, so it sort of figures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
IMO, leathers over boots looks many times sillier than "power ranger", any day..

How could it not, really, when "power ranger" doesn't look anything but AWESOME? :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Nah, they're kinda an oddball choice. I'm actually a bit surprised rossi does it, as he's pretty much the only one. But he is Rossi, so it sort of figures...

Biaggi and Spanish George wear the over-the-boot Dainese kit as well.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

My Dainese pants have a zipper on the calf which lets out an extra fold of fabric - would this be for putting them over boots? There is another zip also which splits the leg open up the calf, but this one is just to help you get your feet through as far as I can tell..

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So I really want some full length boots for general street use. I really don't know what to get, they all look so good, anyone have experience with these?

Cheapest, look pretty good, seems to have good enough reviews.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/19875/ITEM/Vega-Sport-II-Boots.aspx

Medium price, I rather like the styling on these.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/21504/ITEM/AXO-Primato-II-Boots.aspx

Highest price, Look good, are they any better than the cheaper ones?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/17129/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-5-Boots.aspx

Any other suggestions would be excellent as well, I pretty much ride only on the street so I guess comfort and fit is my main factor.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I have a pair of Alpine Stars, they're a bit like this: http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/net_air_motorcycle_boots.html

Although those are fancier than mine- mine are plain old one zipper boots.

I have had great luck, they're comfortable to walk around in, easy to put on and off, not too hot and semi waterproof.

Sorry but I have no idea what model number mine are, they don't seem to say. Those in the link are pretty close though.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

infraboy posted:

So I really want some full length boots for general street use. I really don't know what to get, they all look so good, anyone have experience with these?

Highest price, Look good, are they any better than the cheaper ones?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/17129/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-5-Boots.aspx

Any other suggestions would be excellent as well, I pretty much ride only on the street so I guess comfort and fit is my main factor.

I've never had cheaper boots, but I've had 2 pair of Alpinestar SMX-4's. After one boot was ruined in a crash I bought an identical set I liked them so much. I assume the SMX5's are similar. They are super comfortable, great protection, don't look crazy and I've had no problems walking around in them for extended periods of time.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/7525/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-4-Waterproof-Boots.aspx

Actually I was looking into the SMX-4 as well, for 170$ it's pretty medium priced :) wasn't sure what the difference between this and the SMX-5 were besides being "waterproof"

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

infraboy posted:

First thing that popped into my head after reading this was "SMX-5's". If you have any local shops nearby I would try a pair on first though. They have somewhat of a narrow fit -- the pair I tried on felt kind of uncomfortable compared to my SMX-2's (my everyday boots). The SMX-4's are just an older boot as far as I know, but I'm not terribly familiar with them.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Mathturbator posted:

Anybody tried the Pazzo short levers? Somehow I think that a shorter brake lever would be nice, although I cannot logically argue that it will help my braking :)

Pazzo shorty levers are great. I had them on both sides of my SV650 and I loved them, especially since I'm a two-finger braker anyway. The short clutch lever took a bit of getting used to, but you don't even notice it after a few minutes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

infraboy posted:

I picked up a pair of SMX4's when I started riding and they have held up pretty good. Feet get damp when it rains a lot but otherwise I love them. During the week I pretty much have them on from 6am to 8pm and they are comfortable.

prof.vanhellsing
Dec 30, 2008
So I tried out the Scorpion EXO 700 helmet today in large and medium. The medium seems to fit perfectly because it's very snug, very tight on my head. It pushed my cheeks together but I feel like that was okay. The only downside is that it kind of squeezes my crown pretty tightly. I took it off after wearing it for around 3 minutes and I had a headache.
The large wasn't very tight at all, but it felt way more comfortable. Should I just weather the slight squeeze and get the M?

For reference I've measured my crown with a tape measure and I've gotten 60 1/2 cms. Based on http://www.scorpionusa.com/support/fitment.html, I should be able to fit an XL but that's way too big for me.
A 7 1/4 cap size fits me very well and that points to a M. Maybe Scorpion just doesn't fit my head well? Maybe I should just resort to Shoei and/or Arai? But they're way more expensive.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

prof.vanhellsing posted:

So I tried out the Scorpion EXO 700 helmet today in large and medium. The medium seems to fit perfectly because it's very snug, very tight on my head. It pushed my cheeks together but I feel like that was okay. The only downside is that it kind of squeezes my crown pretty tightly. I took it off after wearing it for around 3 minutes and I had a headache.
The large wasn't very tight at all, but it felt way more comfortable. Should I just weather the slight squeeze and get the M?

For reference I've measured my crown with a tape measure and I've gotten 60 1/2 cms. Based on http://www.scorpionusa.com/support/fitment.html, I should be able to fit an XL but that's way too big for me.
A 7 1/4 cap size fits me very well and that points to a M. Maybe Scorpion just doesn't fit my head well? Maybe I should just resort to Shoei and/or Arai? But they're way more expensive.

Althoguh this has been said many times before, I'll say it again: try as many freaking helmets on as you can. Seriously.

Go to different shops, look around. Try everything: HJC, Shark, Nolan, Scorpion, Shoei, Arai, whatever. Try every model of every brand that you can find. Most of them fit quite differently from each other--I can't wear most of the arai lineup but my profile fits dynamite. When you have a well-fit helmet on your head you will feel it hug your entire skull with no hot spots or gaps, keep looking until you find htat. there are umpteen options and one of them will work.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

ohwandernearer posted:

Althoguh this has been said many times before, I'll say it again: try as many freaking helmets on as you can. Seriously.

Go to different shops, look around. Try everything: HJC, Shark, Nolan, Scorpion, Shoei, Arai, whatever. Try every model of every brand that you can find. Most of them fit quite differently from each other--I can't wear most of the arai lineup but my profile fits dynamite. When you have a well-fit helmet on your head you will feel it hug your entire skull with no hot spots or gaps, keep looking until you find htat. there are umpteen options and one of them will work.

I feel kinda bad that I was more comfortable in an HJC cl-15 than I was in any Arai, Shoei or Scorpion that I put on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I feel kinda bad that I was more comfortable in an HJC cl-15 than I was in any Arai, Shoei or Scorpion that I put on.

I actually had this exact same experience. I tried two types of Arai fits, a Shoei Medium was barely too big and a Shoei Small had one really awkward and BAD hot spot. But that HJC Medium was absolutely perfect and just happened to cost 1/4 as much.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Yeah, I had that too. I was all ready to upgrade to an Arai or Shoei, and then went and tried a bunch on. Just didn't feel good. I ended up with an HJC FS-15 carbon, which is really a great helmet. I recommend trying it if you were looking to drop a lot on a helmet.

The other weird thing about the Arai and Shoei is compared to the HJCs I felt like my chin was sticking out the bottom of the helmet. I guess they are designed shorter though, my face isn't particularly long.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I've definitely got an HJC large shaped head. It just fits so perfect, that for $70 on clearance it was too difficult to pass up getting a 2nd one. The newer visor ratchets are much much much much better than the old ones. I can change my visor in about 5 seconds now, while it's on my head. The old style CL-14 I could barely change it with the help of a work light and a bench vice!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Got my Alpinestars track pants the other day, and they fit! Well, more or less. These things are stiff and tight, so much so that I got bruises on one leg from three hours of riding with them. I think it has more to do with my lovely icon boots and not being able to tuck them in, causing them to bunch up. I swear, I'll just buy one pair of Sidis and that'll be it for awhile.

Click here for the full 800x599 image.

Also, the hell with brick and mortar stores. I call/visit a couple local stores at least twice a month and all I ever here is "we don't have it, but we can order it for you". I can do that myself, what's the point?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

Also, the hell with brick and mortar stores. I call/visit a couple local stores at least twice a month and all I ever here is "we don't have it, but we can order it for you". I can do that myself, what's the point?

Yes, I hate that as well. I guess I can't really blame them, how much fancy leather gear do you think they could sell :( Pretty much every place is going to be helmets, light gloves, and a bunch of textile jackets with a couple leather ones thrown in for those with the $$

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Gnaghi posted:

They only send us a certain amount of stock and a lot of the time we simply don't have what someone is looking for. Depending on the place you're shopping at, it's beneficial to order it in due to return policies.

quote:

Pretty much every place is going to be helmets, light gloves, and a bunch of textile jackets with a couple leather ones thrown in for those with the $$
Ha. We have a wall full of A* and Dainese leather jackets and 1 pieces :shobon:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but most places that doesn't seem to be true, at least not around here :( There used to be a place that carried a decent variety of gear but they closed. It's also pretty easy for me to get 1 pcs and race gear, but hard to find anything else.

I like buying stuff from local shops and I don't mind ordering things in. It just kind of sucks with gear because even if you guestimate off the sizing charts, its still nice to be able to try on a size up/down without making them order all of them in or waiting a week between trying stuff on :(

It just seems funny to me that these places don't carry higher-priced stuff due to low demand (so I blame the consumers more than the retailers). People are willing to spend $9000+ on a bike and hundreds on accessories for it, but don't want to spend more than $300 on gear. Maybe because they can't get a loan for that.....

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

-Inu- posted:

They only send us a certain amount of stock and a lot of the time we simply don't have what someone is looking for. Depending on the place you're shopping at, it's beneficial to order it in due to return policies.
Ha. We have a wall full of A* and Dainese leather jackets and 1 pieces :shobon:

Well I'll give credit to my local no-name place, because they sell bikes as well as gear and let me rummage through their shims, but even the "hook-up" price is still higher than online places. However, when the name of your store is CYCLE GEAR and the racks are empty except for size small stuff and Icon field protector vests it gets on my nerves. I'm always calling them or stopping by before I order online because I don't want to wait for shipping and never once actually found the same thing in store. And Newenough's return policies are as good as local places, it's just a pain if I have to return something and wait another 2 weeks cause I couldn't try it on, but their support is good enough that I got the right size the first time.

lancemantis posted:

I like buying stuff from local shops and I don't mind ordering things in. It just kind of sucks with gear because even if you guestimate off the sizing charts, its still nice to be able to try on a size up/down without making them order all of them in or waiting a week between trying stuff on :(

I tried to get them to do this. Since the rack was empty except for one pair of track pants, I asked if they could order a few sizes. They told me they didn't know when they are going to get more in. When I called them asking about shims, they didn't have them (to be expected, no place is gonna carry a range of shims), but then proceeded to tell me at length about every shim in the catalog, none of which were what I had asked for, as well as "shim tools" that cost $120 each. I ended up getting a probe set from home depot for $20. AND they open at 10am, but never answer the phone until 12pm.

Yes, I'm their most pain in the rear end customer and they probably rant about me as well. :rant:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Gnaghi posted:

Well I'll give credit to my local no-name place, because they sell bikes as well as gear and let me rummage through their shims, but even the "hook-up" price is still higher than online places. However, when the name of your store is CYCLE GEAR and the racks are empty except for size small stuff and Icon field protector vests it gets on my nerves. I'm always calling them or stopping by before I order online because I don't want to wait for shipping and never once actually found the same thing in store. And Newenough's return policies are as good as local places, it's just a pain if I have to return something and wait another 2 weeks cause I couldn't try it on, but their support is good enough that I got the right size the first time.
Hahaha, sounds about right. I work at Cycle Gear, and unless the store is in Cali we pretty much get hosed on inventory. We can transfer items from any other store or order stuff in, but yeah in-store selection is poo poo unless it's a California store (For instance, Cali stores have 95% of the Dai Tattoo jackets I believe). I will tell you this though: You can always return something to Cycle Gear. Seriously. We're required to accept ANY returns if you put up a big enough fuss. If you're a huge enough dick you could return a 3 year old A* 1 piece that you wadded at the track. Everyone at the store would hate your guts, but if you argued for 30 minutes and threatened to call corporate, the store would take it back. It's a very poorly run company though and I'm not a fan of some of their practices. Wouldn't shop at one if I didn't work at one.

quote:

It just seems funny to me that these places don't carry higher-priced stuff due to low demand (so I blame the consumers more than the retailers). People are willing to spend $9000+ on a bike and hundreds on accessories for it, but don't want to spend more than $300 on gear. Maybe because they can't get a loan for that.....
I know, it's stupid. I see people every day who just bought brand new bikes and took the MSF and stuff, but don't want to shell out more than $20 for gloves. I mean come on.

Edit:

quote:

I asked if they could order a few sizes. They told me they didn't know when they are going to get more in.
We aren't told when any new shipments are coming in. It's just a luck of the draw from what UPS drops off on any given day. Corporate will chew our rear end if we order multiple sizes of something at once. We can order in X size and if it doesn't fit we can order Y size, and if it doesn't fit we can order Z size, but they really do not like it when it's done all at once. For regular stock there is a form that the store can fill out requesting to receive stock of a certain item, but 90% of the time it never gets approved.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 24, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wear gear or you will look like this.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/04/this-is-what-it-looks-like-to.html

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got my leathers back from the tailor. Sooooooooooooo good. Got a custom tailored Berik suit now, for $1300. Would've cost me at least $2000 for a custom Gimoto one. Pics to come.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Helmet with a rear view mirror built into the inside of the helmet:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/24/reevu-lets-loose-updated-msx1-helmet-with-built-in-rear-view-sys/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So I need a new helmet, 25k hasn't been kind to my EXO-700, and it's tasted the sweet sweet taste of gas station gravel in half a dozen states. I personally love it, and am probably going to either buy it, or the EXO-400 and save like $80. What's kicking me is that the EXO-1000 is only like $80 more then the 700 and has a cool flip down visor thing, gimmick or worthwhile? I usually ride with the visor up and sunglasses on, because I love getting windburn on my face.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Internal visors are flimsier than the outside ones, so if you like riding with only the internal one down prepare for wobbly plastic hanging in front of your face. I don't do it because I'm afraid that a wayward pebble would snap the thing in half.

Actually I don't use the internal visor at all because the sun never bothers me. Maybe it's because I haven't ridden in dusk or dawn yet, though. Still, I love that I have one less thing to remember to carry all the time in the event I do need to use sunglasses. Holy run on sentence batman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can you put the visor down over a pair of glasses? It'd be great not having to carry two pairs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have a NewEnough coupon? Bout to order a pair of Sidis and between that and the track pants I'll probably get one in return that I'll then post up.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Uthor posted:

Can you put the visor down over a pair of glasses? It'd be great not having to carry two pairs.

Yes. But as always, test fit before you buy. Some internal visors come down right on my nose, but they fit like poo poo anyway!

unorthodoxender
Aug 20, 2004
Ninja do backflippu
Has anyone had experience with the Shark Evoline helmet? I know it's been discussed here a bit and I'm in the market for a modular helmet. I like the reviews so far but I was just wondering if any goons had anything else to say about it. Also comparable suggestions for other modulars would be appreciated. For comparison my main helmet for the past 4 years has been a tried and trusty HJC CL-15

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

blugu64 posted:

So I need a new helmet, 25k hasn't been kind to my EXO-700, and it's tasted the sweet sweet taste of gas station gravel in half a dozen states. I personally love it, and am probably going to either buy it, or the EXO-400 and save like $80. What's kicking me is that the EXO-1000 is only like $80 more then the 700 and has a cool flip down visor thing, gimmick or worthwhile? I usually ride with the visor up and sunglasses on, because I love getting windburn on my face.

I have one in my HJC and I love it, makes life so much easier not having to carry a spare visor. Works well with the main visor up too. I imagine the Scorpion is even better since.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

redscare posted:

I have one in my HJC and I love it, makes life so much easier not having to carry a spare visor. Works well with the main visor up too. I imagine the Scorpion is even better since.

Seconding this. A flip-down visor in the helmet isn't quite as effective as swapping to a tinted visor, but is still pretty awesome. I don't know if it's worth the $160 or so from EXO-400 to EXO-1000, but it is sweet.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

OrangeFurious posted:

Seconding this. A flip-down visor in the helmet isn't quite as effective as swapping to a tinted visor, but is still pretty awesome. I don't know if it's worth the $160 or so from EXO-400 to EXO-1000, but it is sweet.

Effective? The facts you have to carry around a spare visor, then stop and swap it in to the helmet makes that horrible. Everything needs flip down shades (internal or external, both are fine). Nothing says awesome like catching a glint of low sun and just reaching up and flipping down some shades. In fact, people spotted with tinted visors should be pulled off their bikes and beaten within an inch of their lives.

edit: except for my Roof(if the goddamn thing ever gets here). Because ... science.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 26, 2010

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

PadreScout posted:

In fact, people spotted with tinted visors should be pulled off their bikes and beaten within an inch of their lives.

:psyduck: This statement

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Got my leathers back from the tailor. Sooooooooooooo good. Got a custom tailored Berik suit now, for $1300. Would've cost me at least $2000 for a custom Gimoto one. Pics to come.

So there are no problems with the tailoring weakening the leather at all, if the original stitching has been unpicked and replaced where required? Where did the leathers have to be tailored? And the tailoring cost $1300, or that's the total after tailoring?

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...

blugu64 posted:

I've got one and I like it a lot. I've never had a really fancy helmet for comparison but I think it's a pretty comfortable, versatile helmet.

You can put the inner visor down over a pair of glasses.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oakley should make motorcycle helmet visors.

Anyone have any experience with Marushin helmets? There's a couple of fine looking ones that are half the price of the Shoei I want and get the same SHARP ratings as well as weighing ~400 grams less. Obviously I'll test fit them because so far only one helmet actually fits me (XR1100, Large). Any obvious reasons to avoid? Bits falling off? Horrible fogging problems? (can't be worse than my current lid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So there are no problems with the tailoring weakening the leather at all, if the original stitching has been unpicked and replaced where required? Where did the leathers have to be tailored? And the tailoring cost $1300, or that's the total after tailoring?

No; sleeves, chest, legs, waist and crotch; total after tailoring.