Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

pwn posted:

:v: Awesome, thanks for clearing that up.

Don't worry, there's always the t/stop.

Thom Hogan posted:

What's a t/stop? Well, an f/stop is a theoretical aperture (length divided by opening). A t/stop is the actual transmission property of the lens, and it's almost always lower than the marked f/stop because each air/glass transition in the lens is robbing just a bit of light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
What about zooms in the pre-computer-lens days? They'd have to be constant-aperture because there would be no way to communicate a changing aperture to the camera's meter, right?

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Canon should use those units.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Beastruction posted:

What about zooms in the pre-computer-lens days? They'd have to be constant-aperture because there would be no way to communicate a changing aperture to the camera's meter, right?
They should just need some kind of mechanism in the lens that moves the prong as it zooms, right?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

orange lime posted:

:crossarms:

No, the poster above me has it right. The f/number is a mathematical ratio comparing the physical diameter of the aperture to the focal length of the lens (f). An f/2 lens has a numerical aperture of half the focal length, and so on -- a 100mm f/4 has a 25mm diameter aperture. Light falls off with the square of the distance it travels, but the area of the aperture increases with the square of the diameter*, so the ultimate effect is that any lens set to f/2 will cast the same amount of light onto the film plane -- whether it's a fisheye or a normal lens or a super-telephoto. Light falloff through the optics is a factor in the actual amount of light reaching the film plane but most of the time it's negligible.

The reason that we can't make 10-600mm terrorzooms is because each end of that focal length range requires vastly different optics, many of which work at cross purposes to each other -- nothing to do with the aperture. The reason we can't easily make f/1.0 lenses (besides the progressively larger pieces of glass you require) is primarily because of spherical aberration that goes absolutely nuts when you start using the outer edges of a lens.

Most zoom lenses have a smaller maximum aperture at the long end because the aperture can't open beyond a certain size, which is a smaller fraction of the focal length at the long end than at the short end. With lenses that maintain a constant aperture, what is actually occurring is that the designers have made a conscious choice to limit the aperture's opening at the short end in the interests of sharpness. Your 70-200 f/2.8 could theoretically be a 1.4 at the short end, but it would be hazy and soft if not outright uncorrected.

</optics rant>

*If you remember high school math, you will be saying "but the formula is pi(r)^2!" Yes, area actually increases with the square of the radius. The diameter is of course twice the radius, and this is why full stops are separated by the factor of sqrt(2) = 1.4. Ie., each time you increase a stop and halve the light, you are dividing the diameter (multiplying the f/ value) by a factor of 1.4:

:science:

I do not think this is correct. Apparent aperture and actual aperture are not the same, and the apparent aperture is the important figure, in particular with zoom lenses.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0000Wf

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

I've always wondered why they didn't make one of the 2.8 zooms faster at the wide end. Ok, maybe they'd be less sharp, but if you stopped down would it correct this while still having the option of shooting at wider apertures when needed?

Yeah, this is basically what my question boils down to.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

They should just need some kind of mechanism in the lens that moves the prong as it zooms, right?

Would the aperture ring just be inaccurate or indicate a range of apertures?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The aperture ring doesn't have to be linked 1:1 to the aperture mechanism.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Augmented Dickey posted:

Yeah, this is basically what my question boils down to.

The physical aperture doesn't change (with a small exception). The apparent aperture changes because of the amount of available light for the wide end...the light path is NOT the same for each focal length. At the very widest end, in some lenses, there is some small change in the physical diameter to make the f/stop be constant.

In other words, the aperture ISN'T constant, the F/stop is. The physical aperture of a 70-200/f2.8 lens is ~71.4. It's still 71.4 at the 70mm end, but it's not an f/.9 lens. It hasn't moved down to be 25mm, but it's apparent aperture has changed.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 26, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
http://www.diyphotography.net/23-pinhole-cameras-that-you-can-build-at-home

Might have to try a couple of these.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Is that an E-10 with a M203 launcher attachment?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

ease posted:

Is that an E-10 with a M203 launcher attachment?

Call of Duty: War Photographer

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I hate it when people take pictures with the noob tube.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So you can stop positively ID'ing L glass as RPG's, yes.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DanTheFryingPan posted:

My Aero Ektar is/was a little yellowed so I guestimated its t-stop at around f/2.8 rather than the stated f/2.5. It's been getting better after soaking up some UV rays though.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Ringo R posted:

what's the total effective focal length for this setup? IIRC the E-10 uses a pretty tiny sensor so it seems like it must be really long.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Augmented Dickey posted:

what's the total effective focal length for this setup? IIRC the E-10 uses a pretty tiny sensor so it seems like it must be really long.

What is it?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

TCON-300S Kit Kit includes lens (TCON-300), hood and support arm, it provides a x3.0 conversion of focal lengths giving a longest telephoto equiv. of 420 mm at just F2.8.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse10/page5.asp

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Just what the world of photography needs, more camera lenses shapped like rocket launchers.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Just what the world of photography needs, more camera lenses shapped like rocket launchers.

Maybe we need to start making lens hoods safety orange.

Ol Uncle Anime
Jul 3, 2009

And no one ate dinner that night.
I just got the best e-mail.

quote:

PhotoSplash Photography
Hello Zoe,

Don't risk your corporate photos to a well-meaning employee just because they have a pretty good camera. If Zoe Quinn Photography is to maintain a professional image then your photo, lighting, colour correction and cropping must be done professionally.

"Rule #1 - If the image will be seen by the public,
get a pro to take the shot. "

At PhotoSpash we're making professional corporate images more affordable than ever. For a limited time we're waiving all post-production fees. This typically results in about a 28% savings!

If this interests you, all we need to do is discuss your photographic requirements and I'll send you a firm quote valid for 30 days showing your actual savings. Book your shoot for any date in 2010 to take advantage of this offer. (Reference promo code "FPP04")

Considering hiring the services of a photographer? Be sure to read the "10 Most Important Things To Know Before Hiring A Photographer". Click here to get it now. Dan, whether you choose to do business with us or not, you'll find it a quick and interesting read.

Reading this far suggests to me that you may have some pictures in mind. Have a look at my services and samples of my work then give me a phone call. If you prefer, go ahead and reply to this email. I'll get back to you in a flash!

Regards,
Michelle Manzoni
Photographer, PhotoSplash Photography

So I decided to head on over to her website where I encountered this on the front page:

Click here for the full 1513x968 image.

Holy poo poo how does she make any money? Especially with a portfolio like this:

Also, she has this handy list of 10 things clients need to know before hiring a photographer that only has 9 things on it :gonk:

quote:

Before you hire a photographer for any reason you should be prepared to ask
some pertinent questions to insure a successful outcome. I have assembled a
guideline to help you get the results you’re looking for the first time. In many
cases, you don’t have the option to go back and do the shoot over again if the
images are unsatisfactory.

1. Most importantly, do you like the photographers work? Ask for a portfolio of
images that is relevant to what you need shot. If you want product shots for your
business don’t settle for landscapes or wedding samples. In fact, an experienced
photographer will have a portfolio for each category.

2. Does the photographer offer good value for the dollars paid? You need to
make an evaluation of the cost vs. the time and number of images they are
willing to provide.

3. Does the photographer offer you full rights to use the images as you wish?
Read the agreement carefully. Some photographer’s contracts preclude you from
using the photos for resale or public advertisements without paying a
substantial royalty fee. We don’t think that’s right.

4. Does the photographer provide a clear and concise contract which states
exactly what is being provided? Is travel, lodging etc. included or is it an extra
fee? Is there a distance fee? Is there an additional cost for weekends, evenings or
overtime?

5. How many hours will the photographer be present at the shoot?

6. Will they be the actual photographer for your shoot or will it be an “associate”?

7. Does the cost include editing, cropping and colour correction or is all that
extra?

8. Are the photos delivered to you on photo paper or as a digital download?

9. How long after the shoot will your photos be ready to view?

Pretty ballsy to advertise your photo services to a photographer, especially with such an awful portfolio. Question is, do I troll her now?

Ol Uncle Anime fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 27, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
She shoots Sony, so that instantly discredits her as a professional.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I love how the picture of herself is so horribly photoshopped, and it even has LENS FLAREEEEEEEE

^Also, what he said.

e: Another thing is the deer in the headlights horrible flash for the olympic shot. I really think I should be less scared of attempting to sell my services if somebody like her is able to (possibly?) make a living, or at least money from their shots.

Ol Uncle Anime
Jul 3, 2009

HPL posted:

She shoots Sony, so that instantly discredits her as a professional.

I bet she got it because she had never heard of nikon or canon but dang sony does make a good tv so they must be top of the line, right? I mean, they're sony!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

That portfolio must be a joke. I don't think there's anything above snapshot-quality. The captions are also hilarious.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What exactly is wrong with Sony? I played with an a700 at the mall once and it seemed like a solid camera. Plus aren't they compatable with a ton of nice Minolta lenses?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
That "pro" is an awful, awful person, but no need to be an rear end about sony, specially considering the Minolta heritage.

It's good enough for the Dakar :

http://www.swiatobrazu.pl/sony_dslr_a900_at_dakar_rally.html
(it's 6 pages long but worth reading, no matter the brand you have)

It's also pretty good for weddings :

http://photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00V98v
(also a good read. For the Sony stuff, go roughly a third of the way down, right after the D3X pics)

Not trying to white-knight the brand I use, but "Canon and Nikon OR DEATH" can get pretty tiring.

Ol Uncle Anime
Jul 3, 2009

For the record I wasn't trying to bag on sony, I was just saying I could see her doing 0 research and just going with a brand she'd heard of. I don't think there's any gear in the world that'd make her a good photographer.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

seravid posted:

Not trying to white-knight the brand I use, but "Canon and Nikon OR DEATH" can get pretty tiring.

So can Sony apologists coasting on the Minolta heritage.

I've never seen a pro using a Sony. All I ever see is a sea of Canon and Nikon bodies with the occasional confused-looking guy using a Pentax. I ran into one guy using a Sony once but all he did was talk about how he was looking forward to switching to Nikon. Sonys are okay cameras, they just aren't that entrenched with professionals.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ol Uncle Anime posted:

I just got the best e-mail.

Phenomenal photos she has. Why does she call you "Zoe" in the greeting and "Dan" in the body of the letter?

I'm irrationally mad at her for promoting the idea that photographers should give away their rights to their photos. Then again, (1) she probably has nothing else to differentiate herself from the "employee with a pretty nice camera" (jesus christ that's basically exactly what she is) and (2) I wouldn't want my name to be associated with photos of that quality anyway.

[e] while the Sony hate is irrational, isn't the a200 their absolute lowest-end body?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Also, Sony probably will never be widely accepted by pros until they start using a regular hot shoe instead of their bizarro wacky shoe.

Ol Uncle Anime
Jul 3, 2009

orange lime posted:

Phenomenal photos she has. Why does she call you "Zoe" in the greeting and "Dan" in the body of the letter?

I'm irrationally mad at her for promoting the idea that photographers should give away their rights to their photos. Then again, (1) she probably has nothing else to differentiate herself from the "employee with a pretty nice camera" (jesus christ that's basically exactly what she is) and (2) I wouldn't want my name to be associated with photos of that quality anyway.

I have no idea, best guess is she is using a form letter and sending them out by just switching around some text here and there and hitting "send".

Yeah, that bit where she slams other photographers for trying to reserve some rights irked me too. I just hope she doesn't manage to convince anyone that other, real photographers are being somehow unreasonable with their contracts.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008

Ol Uncle Anime posted:

do I troll her now?

Link her to this thread. Maybe buy her an SA account!

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
For any UK goons one of my photos should be getting used on northwest tonight (ok so you have to be in the northwest) so if you happen to be watching, the birdnest is mine.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Apparently she can set her lighting to "mystery."

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
This is a great one:

I'm not sure what shes thinking.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
10. Does the photographer know how to count to ten?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Whitezombi posted:

10. Does the photographer know how to count to ten?

wtf, hahahahahahhaha. The photos are mediocre, sure, I have mediocre photos on my website. But not counting to 10, thats the prize.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ol Uncle Anime posted:

So I decided to head on over to her website
:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FFffuuuuuuuuck. I just stabbed a hole through both pouches in my changing bag fumbling around with scissors trying to cut off a leader. I'm going to have to sew this poo poo up later or something :suicide:

Thankfully I hadn't pulled all the film out of the canister yet (35mm).